All Comments on 'A Bargain Made: A House Fallen Ch. 08'

by SaddleRider

Sort by:
  • 14 Comments
ResidentWeavilResidentWeavilalmost 8 years ago
Ending fell flat

I am really enjoying your work. Vivid descriptions, interesting characters and a healthy dose of intrigue made this a very fun tale.

This part felt a bit flat for me. I admit, I was a bit put off by the whole revenge though corruption idea. And now the Queen's ready admission of similar among the court makes me see Vesik's betrayal as a bit less heinous. Seems Neral and Tess, by extension, are the only good people we have seen( her mom and sisters are still questionable).

And her willingness to destroy House Vesik this way makes me question that. Seems there would have been some way to get them that would have been less revolting. And I am not talking about my views here: The Queen and the court were revolted by the behavior and that is what led to this.

How hard would it have been for there to simply have been an accidental death of a Lord? And now the brilliant and desirable Sere may be of a mind to seek revenge on the crown as well. Simple deaths would have been far easier all around.

But it was a great read. Thanks again for your contribution.

SaddleRiderSaddleRideralmost 8 years agoAuthor
Thanks for reading and thanks...

...for enjoying overall.

My thought process for this was that, as 'revolting' as it is, it limits retribution as pretty much everyone on the outside of the plot will simply see it as Tonn's indiscretion, whereas death invites more death and perhaps encompasses the innocent, which is something I touched on in a previous chapter, and something Neral wished to avoid. Those that might consider it more would be afraid to act, as something they might consider worse than death (i.e expulsion of their House) might befall them in wicked fashion, so they would be more inclined to call the chapter over.

Queen and Court were more put off by the public display of his...penchants. We all have them. We all have the face we put on for others and the things we do behind closed doors, and sometimes those two worlds are very different. They rarely, if ever, go to this extreme but people are judged, often harshly, when those two worlds collide all the same. That's what I was going for and that's what I think I managed in some small way.

Sere is corrupted as well since the spell was stored in jewelry that each wore to the Spring Festival. But I could bring her back if I choose. I'm just not sure I choose. We'll see.

Simple deaths would have been, as you say, simple. Bryana herself said so. They would have been simple, and, in my humble opinion, not nearly so interesting or entertaining to read much less to write, particularly with mages of great talent.

I have gotten a couple feedback requests so far wondering what happened to... and generally wanting more. Thanks for that. It means a lot and I can say to them that there will be more Neral, Bryana, and Deres to be had.

Finally, thank * you * for your thoughtful, well-considered, constructive feedback. It's appreciated.

rgraham666rgraham666almost 8 years ago
Revenge is best served cold

Nice piece of work.

An intricate and well planned revenge is always a satisfying read.

Well done.

acupacupalmost 8 years ago
Cold,

and sometimes from directions unknown.

Loved the mage angle of mind control. Sooooo much better than a machine or some other more 'modern' angle on it.

SaddleRiderSaddleRideralmost 8 years agoAuthor
Thanks you so much.

I do like my mc machines as much as the next girl, but I also grew up on the likes of Brooks and Eddings so that has appeal, too. :)

Anyway, I am very glad that it satisfied.

BaddGrrlBaddGrrlalmost 8 years ago
Yep

Definite echoes (good ones) of Eddings - or, perhaps, more nearly like Dave Duncan to me.

Five of those pointy things.

Paaradise71Paaradise71over 7 years ago
Great one!

I love fantasy and historical fiction, this is some of the best. Kudos to you, waiting for more!

SaddleRiderSaddleRiderover 7 years agoAuthor
Thank you so much, Paradise

I'm so glad you liked.

That more is "An Apocalypse Rising." I hope you like. :)

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
revenge is...

so evilly espoused in this tale. Ruination of a whole bloodline...but not elimination - that may prove to be a mistake - time will tell.

Admiralbird348Admiralbird348over 7 years ago
More!!

More? I am overjoyed:)) Your writing is as fine as there is

And I hope you keep it up!!

Thank you:))

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Exquisite!

I must say, you have finesse and writing flare TO BURN! I am in Love with this entire series - everything is so masterfully vivid and sumptuous. Off the hook, TOP NOTCH story telling. I hope you never stop writing... You are an extremely bright star.

TSreaderTSreaderover 4 years ago
A wonderful story!

Well done throughout! Thank you!

JohnnyRebBBJohnnyRebBBalmost 2 years ago

Well done, great story but please get some help to link each chapter coherently

SaddleRiderSaddleRideralmost 2 years agoAuthor

I don't need anyhelp in that regard, as I feel that they are, in fact, linked coherently.

You are free to disagree, of course, but it will not change the manner in which I write.

Thank you.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userSaddleRider@SaddleRider
30+, in a poly, and happy to be. I have been asked to put the Erette stories in order here if I could. I can, so here they are: Note: I have been asked to include a story order for the Erette stories for clarity, so here it is in its entirety: 1. A Bargain Made 2. A Bargai...