A Christmas Gift

Story Info
A sequel to "Peace of Mind".
6.8k words
4.88
31.1k
86
32
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
DB86
DB86
1,248 Followers

DB86 Xmas special #2

Edited by Pat.

This story is a sequel of "Peace of Mind" I strongly suggest you to read it first.

***

CHAPTER 1

"You have a great woman there, Landon. Don't let her get away," Landon's mother advised her son for the umpteenth time.

Landon Petersen had gone back to his hometown in Wyoming for a few days to help his mother and sister to move to Middletown with him. He was a soldier who had been diagnosed with PTSD. His army buddy Derek Hayes, and especially his girlfriend, Grace McAllister, had nursed him back to health. His symptoms had improved and his mood had stabilized. He was now seeing his psychiatrist in a special center in Seattle once a month instead of every week, and his meds had been reduced.

"Grace is an amazing woman, Mom, she has helped in ways you can't imagine. But she is well aware of my situation and she knows that I'll move to the next step of our relationship when I'm ready. It's not easy loving someone with PTSD."

"You're doing much better, Son. You're not the same person you were a year ago."

"I've worked hard with my doctor to get where I am now. Grace, Derek and the whole town helped me a lot too."

"Look, I don't want to be pushy, Landon, but you should give that poor girl a lot more than some vague hope. I know women, trust me."

"Mom, I'm an adult. Grace is an adult. And we'll make our decisions in our own time."

"You're right, of course. You are happier than you've ever been. Your face lightens up when you talk about Grace. Look at you, you're smiling!"

Landon couldn't help but smile every time his girlfriend was mentioned.

"You don't need to apologize, Mom. That's what parents do. But you need to understand that two people can be happy just the way they are. I don't want to ruin things."

"Baby, I bet Grace doesn't want to push you but she must be waiting for you to take your relationship to the next level. Do people still say that? How long have you been dating?"

Landon took a minute to do the math in his head. "About a year. We had been together almost every day. This is the longest we had been apart since we met."

"Baby, women have our biological clocks ticking, you know? If you really love Grace, there is no reason to wait. Love makes you feel scared and wonderful at the same time. I still remember how it was with your father."

"When I'm with Grace I'm not scared because I know she can take everything I throw at her. She has seen me at my worst and, for some reason, she still loves me."

"Maybe you should plan something special for her as a thank you for all she did for you... A Christmas gift."

His mother's words were like a switch flipped on in Landon's brain. The rest of the day he couldn't stop thinking about where he and Grace stood. He tried to see things from her perspective and he realized that his mother might have a point. He loved Grace, and things between them had been going great. Maybe it was time to move their relationship to the next level.

CHAPTER 2

"Sis, I've been thinking about what Mom said about Grace and me... And I think she might be right. I still don't trust myself when it comes to relationships so I'm going to take her advice. I want to prepare something special for Grace for Christmas. I need some ideas."

"You came to the right place, big Bro," Landon's sister Callie said flexing her hands and making her fingers crack. "I've read every romance novel written in the last ten years, watched every romantic movie, and sat in the wings of life longingly watching couples that are in love."

"Your moment will come Callie... Look at me. I never thought I would find love again," Landon squeezed his sister's hand. "So, what does the expert suggest?"

Landon's baby sister opened her laptop and started typing.

"We need a carriage... and flowers, of course, red roses. You'll be wearing a tuxedo and she'll be wearing a beautiful dress. There must be romantic music playing..."

"Sis, I think you are thinking about Pretty Woman. I'm not Richard Gere, I can't afford any of that..."

"Let your imagination fly, Bro. We'll have time to tone things down to match your budget. Where were we? Oh yes... the carriage. Then, you'll take her to a fancy restaurant..."

"There is only one restaurant in Middletown, The Jammed."

"Not the most romantic name, but I guess that it'll have to do. You had your first date there, right?"

"I wouldn't call having a flashback a first date."

"She held your hand..."

"It was more like I crushed her hand while I was trying to regain control of my mind..."

"Details, details... Then, she looked at you in the eye and said that she cared for you and wanted to help you," Callie let out a long sigh. "Soooo, romantic!"

"Trust me, Sis, it was anything but romantic. Try scary instead."

"You're spoiling the mood, Bro. You obviously need my help."

Landon rolled his eyes. "Okay, go on. What's next in our dream date?"

"I was thinking you could invite her to a special Christmas dinner, in the same restaurant where you had your first date," Callie went on.

"It wasn't a date!"

"Women know best. If you ask Grace she'll tell you it was. What if we write an email to the manager of the restaurant, explaining our idea to him? What was it called, again?"

"The Jammed."

Callie's fingers finger flew over the keyboard of her laptop.

"Here it is... The Jammed... It doesn't look bad. It certainly has potential," Callie said checking the restaurant's webpage pictures. "It looks cozy. And... here it is... Contact us..."

Landon shook his head and let his sister go on. There was no harm in dreaming.

Callie opened the email and started to type. Landon read over his sister's shoulder, changing some words, and adding some details or additional information here and there when needed. He twisted his mouth at some lines, especially the sappy ones, but he let his sister go. She was enjoying herself.

When they both were satisfied with the result, Callie cleared her throat and read aloud.

The Manager

The Jammed

Middletown, WA

Dear Sir,

My name is Landon Petersen. I'm sure you remember me. I wrote a short history of Middletown and I was involved in the script of the play for Founder's Day.

I'm also in a steady relationship with Grace McAllister which is the reason for this email.

I am very much in love with this young lady, but I haven't been keen enough to express to her how much she means to me and that I love her so desperately and completely.

I'm a soldier and I've been in treatment for PTSD for a year. All this time, through my struggles Grace has been my rock. She didn't judge me and she didn't treat me differently. She has been my motivation to get better, and she has healed me in every way that I needed it. She brought light to the darkness I was in.

So I wanted to make a big gesture to show her how much her love and support mean to me and tell her that I want to spend the rest of my life with her.

For all the reasons expressed above, this evening must be the most marvelous of all possible evenings, for I intend to ask her to be my wife.

I thought about picking her up in a fancy carriage with a dozen roses and taking her to your fine establishment.

And that, dear sir, is where you and The Jammed come in.

I would like a perfect table. Because of my condition, I would prefer a quiet one. There should be candlelight, gleaming silver, and snowy linen. There should be a dinner that will be the culmination of the chef's career.

It would be great to have some live music, maybe a string quartet playing soft, romantic tunes.

Then, at precisely midnight, they could play Grace's favorite song 'A Thousand Years,' by Christina Perri while I propose to her.

I'm now visiting my family but I plan to be back in Middletown by mid December.

I would appreciate it very much if you could confirm this plan and also tell me approximately what the bill will be. I am admittedly not rich, but I have put a little money aside. So please give me your estimate of the cost, and I'll bet it will be plenty! Keep in mind I still have to get a ring.

Very truly yours,

Landon Petersen

"And send," Callie said pressing the key of her laptop with her index finger.

"Wait! What did you do? The email was supposed to be just for fun," Landon protested.

"Cheer up, Bro! What's the worst that could happen?"

"That's not the point. You shouldn't have done that."

"You needed a little push in the right direction."

"And what was that about a proposal?"

"You love her, she loves you... Getting married is the natural next step. Why wait when you already have the perfect girl?

"You're impossible!"

"You'll thank me later. Don't say a word to Grace when you Skype with her tonight."

"Of course not, why would I? It's just an impossible dream way out of my reach."

CHAPTER 3

Red Harding, co-owner of The Jammed, read the email for the third time, and his smile became bigger with each read.

"Kat! Tony! Could you come here for a minute?" he called out.

Kat Davies was Red's wife and head waitress at the restaurant. Tony Marino was the other co-owner and chef. He was responsible for putting the restaurant on the state culinary radar.

"What is the emergency?" they both asked Red.

"Read this," Red Harding said pointing at the screen.

Kat and Tony both stared at the screen in silence for a few minutes.

"This is the most romantic email I've ever read," Kat said wiping the tears from the corner of her eyes. "To think that I had to organize my own proposal..."

"Hey, it wasn't exactly like that," Red complained.

"I helped a lot with it," Tony added. "Red is as romantic as a bull with a headache."

Tony and Kat laughed.

"What do you think about the email?" Red said trying to divert the subject away from him.

"I think it's a wonderful idea. Grace deserves this and more. She has done a lot for the people of Middletown," Kat opined.

"Landon too. It's funny that he thinks, we might not know who he is," Tony added. "Since the play, he is one of the most famous and beloved people in town. His email certainly inspired me. Let me pull a lovers menu together before answering his email, Red."

"I'll help," Kat offered. Tony looked at her with surprise. "Not with the menu, silly, but with the rest of the stuff. Don't breathe a word about this to anyone unless needed. I don't want the rumor mill to alert Grace and spoil Landon's plans."

Red rubbed his chin and said, "Whatever you do, you should include Marcus Carter. He and Landon became close and I don't want to get on the old man's bad side. We are leasing the restaurant from him."

"Good idea," Kat said, kissing her husband's cheek. "I should let Mary in too. She is my friend and a fellow waitress and we won't be able to keep the secret from her."

"Which means her husband Paul will know too," Red said twisting his mouth.

"You should tell Grace's brother, Steve and his wife, Diana. Ah, and your father too!" Tony suggested.

"My father? Why?"

"Landon plays poker with him every Thursday," Tony remembered his friend. "You don't want to catch hell from him and his friends. Besides, he could ask around among the farmers for a carriage."

"If the poker crew is in the know, it means Judge Anderson and the mayor will know about it too...and God knows who else," Red sighed, counting with his fingers.

"We should include Derek Hayes. He was Landon's army buddy. Landon saved his life. He won't forgive us if we let him out. Derek has been helping Landon a lot since he came to town," Kat added.

"Which means his wife Bella will know too," Red looked frustrated. "And you wonder why it's impossible to keep a secret in this town."

"All we have to do is make sure that Grace doesn't hear a word about this," Kat said.

"What do I tell Landon about his idea? He won't be able to pay for something like this," Red asked.

"Maybe we should offer him a cheaper option," Tony suggested.

Red nodded.

"I'll try to come up with something he can afford."

CHAPTER 4

Landon forgot about the email and tried frantically to think of some other way to show Grace how much he loved her and convince her that she should spend the rest of her life with him.

All his ideas seemed inadequate compared to the original one.

Some days later, Callie let out a whoop of excitement. "They answered our email, Landon! They answered our email!"

Landon sat at his sister's side, took a deep breath and asked, "Did they say we are crazy?" his heart was pounding hard.

"Shut up, you Grinch! I'll read their answer to you."

Dear Mr. Petersen,

Your charming email has been receiving some attention from our staff here You stole the hearts of all who read it.

On the day of your choice, at exactly twenty minutes to 6pm, a carriage will pick you up from your cabin for an enjoyable horse-powered journey to Grace McAllister's place. Two dozen of roses will be ready on your seat.

The carriage will take both of you to our establishment. The utmost attention will be given to you two when you arrive.

We have reserved you our most exclusive and romantic table. A string quartet will be booked to play a selection of the greatest love songs of all time.

Just for fun, I am going to attach the reply from our chef, the famous Tony Marino.

ANTIPASTI

Italian Parma Prosciutto with soft stracchino cheese and panzerotti fritters.

PIATTI PRINCIPALI

Linguine with lobster and cherry tomato sauce

DOLCE

A trio of chocolate ganache cheesecake, Torta della Nonna and bomboloni.

At exactly five minutes to midnight, the string quartet will play 'A thousand years' and that will be your cue to propose to your lovely girlfriend.

The carriage is on us, but the ring will be on you, of course.

We are aware that the cost of such an event will be out of your budget.

Frankly, we think it is entirely unnecessary to spend so much money. We would be happy to make a reservation for you at a very nice table, the best of attention, flowers, and you and your girlfriend order directly from the menu whatever intrigues you.

You certainly can have a couple of cocktails and a very nice dinner and a bottle of champagne for one-third of what the other idea would cost. We could play the song you chose on our sound system.

However, you are the only one who can make the decision, so let me know how you would like to have us arrange your special day.

Best wishes,

Cordially yours,

Red Harding,

Co-owner and Manager.

P.S. I think your delightful email inspired our personnel.

"It was a stupid idea anyway!" Landon exclaimed throwing his arms up.

"Sorry, Bro."

"Looking back I think our email was presumptuous. The manager of the most famous restaurant in the zone and the best chef in the state were certainly not going to be interested in the love life of an obscure soldier with PTSD. The email is now probably in the recycle bin where it belongs."

"Why don't you pick the cheaper option? It doesn't sound too bad."

"It wouldn't be the same. Instead of a big night, it would be a cheap night."

"I'm sure Grace wouldn't mind. She's a simple girl, she'll love whatever you do for her. It's the intention that counts."

"I know. And you're right. But it's truly frustrating not being able to give her the magic evening that she deserves. She did a lot for me and I would have loved to give her back something truly special in return."

CHAPTER 5

When the bus reached Middletown station, Landon was surprised to find Derek instead of Grace waiting for them.

"Welcome home, Bro," Derek greeted Landon. "Nice to see you again, Mrs. Petersen. You too Callie."

"Derek!" Callie run to Landon's army buddy and hugged him tight.

"Thank you for taking care of my son, Derek."

"It was my pleasure, Mrs. Petersen. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for him. I'll drive you to the cabin. Come on." Derek grabbed a couple of suitcases and headed to his truck.

"Where is Grace?" Landon asked, grabbing the rest of the luggage.

"She had things to do and asked me to pick you up. Don't worry, she and Scout are fine."

They made small talk during the trip. Mainly, catching up with the local gossip.

When they finally arrived and entered the cabin, Landon carried his bag to his bedroom and found a tux hanging there in front of him.

"What is this?" he asked Derek. "I'm pretty sure it wasn't there when I left.

"Looks like a tux to me," Derek said.

"I can see that, smarty pants. What is going on?"

"There's a party at the community center and you are invited," Derek winked at his friend. Then he checked his phone and said, "Take a quick shower and I'll help you change, the carriage will be here any minute."

As soon as Landon got out of the bathroom, Derek helped Landon to put on the tux.

"What did you mean by carriage? Derek, you need to start talking right now."

"I plead the fifth."

"What about my mother and sister, I can't leave them alone."

"We'll be fine, Bro. I remember where everything is from our previous visit. We can take care of ourselves. By the way, you look very handsome in your tux."

There was a soft knock on the door and Landon opened it to find a carriage beautifully decorated with Christmas garland, green velvet bows, and multicolor lights. The driver was wearing a beautiful outfit and a top hat.

"Your carriage is ready, sir."

He looked back but Derek had already gone through the back door.

Landon shook his head, climbed into the carriage and sat alongside a huge bouquet of roses.

The coach headed for the road and out to town.

Middletown was about as bustling as a little town could get at Christmas. There were lavish decorations up and down Main Street.

"Where are we going? This is not the way to the community center."

The driver ignored Landon and kept driving.

There was cedar strung over shop windows, wreaths hung from each street lamp on the main street, and shopkeepers outdid themselves with store displays. Landon had to admit it would be pretty nice if he were into the whole Norman Rockwell scene.

Finally, the carriage stopped in front of Grace's place. Landon was surprised to find that his girlfriend was waiting for him dressed as a princess.

"Landon! What a beautiful surprise! Your note left me speechless!"

"My note...?" He went down and helped his girlfriend to climb up to her seat.

"Yes, you know the one where you told me to wear this dress and wait for you at exactly 6pm. The dress is lovely by the way. You have impeccable taste in clothes."

"Eh... thank you, I guess." He rubbed the back of his head looking actually embarrassed.

"Are those roses for me?" Grace asked with surprise looking at the bouquet.

"Yes, of course. Who else?" Landon was still trying to get a grip on what was going on.

Grace let out a shriek of excitement. "No one had ever given me flowers before. You are the best boyfriend ever." She took the roses in her arms and smelt them. "Thank you, my love. They are beautiful."

She leaned in to give Landon a truly loving kiss.

"I'm so happy to spend Christmas with you," he whispered when they broke the kiss. The raw emotion in his deep voice made Grace shiver.

"I'm excited too. Our first Christmas together. Are your mom and your sister joining us tonight?"

DB86
DB86
1,248 Followers
12