A Christmas Gift

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Landon shook his head.

"They stayed at the cabin. Our bus arrived just an hour ago. I barely had time to take a shower and change. But let's not talk about them. This evening is about us."

"Where are we going?"

"Eh... surprise?" he said, because he had no idea.

Grace shivered. Her dress wasn't offering much protection from the cold. A December wind was coming off the lake. There was a prediction of snow next week. Just in time for Christmas.

Landon pulled Grace into his arms and hugged her tightly. For a few minutes, the only sound was the clip-clop of horse hooves over the street. They were both lost in their own thoughts.

Landon was trying to figure out what was going on. Everything was happening exactly as he asked in his email. Except that he didn't have the money to pay for all this. A disturbing thought popped into his head, he had never sent an answer telling them he couldn't pay for it. What if they thought the plan for the evening was still on?

Maybe with luck, they assumed he had opted for the cheaper plan. He truly hoped so, because if not he didn't know how he was going to pay for all this. Derek probably informed them when he was coming home and that was the reason why he was acting so weird.

Grace was deep in thought too, but for different reasons. She was expecting a family dinner with Landon, his mother, and his sister. Instead, she found herself riding in a beautifully decorated carriage, wearing a fancy dress, and holding a huge bouquet of roses. Even while she loved every bit of it, she couldn't help but wonder why Landon had gone to all this trouble?

The coach stopped in front of The Jammed and Landon helped Grace to climb down. She took his arm and they walked together inside.

CHAPTER 6

What Landon and Grace saw when they entered the restaurant took their breath away. They stood at the entrance absorbing the whole scene. It looked like a picture taken from a fairy tale. The restaurant was empty except for just one table. A string quartet was playing soft romantic music.

The room was decorated with Christmas bells and wreaths. There was a large Christmas tree in the corner. Dozens of holiday figurines and blinking lights were strategically placed along the walls.

The Jammed had never looked so romantic and dreamier.

Landon heart sank when he saw all this. This wasn't the cheapest plan. Just the opposite.

"Landon! What's going on here?" Grace whispered afraid of breaking the spell.

"Surprise?" he whispered back with embarrassment.

"Oh, my God, I love this..." Grace exclaimed in a voice choked with emotion.

A waitress wearing a Santa hat came to them.

"Good evening, welcome to The Jammed. My name is Kat and I'll be your waitress, please follow me to your table."

As they walked to their table, Landon placed a guiding hand against the small of his girlfriend's back. It was a gentlemanly gesture, an almost protective one, but it still set her skin on fire.

Grace looked in amazement at the table they had prepared for them. Centered between the candles in a low white vase there were flowers, white jasmines, and pink sweetheart roses.

Landon pulled out a chair for his girlfriend. Grace's pulse skittered in a crazy tempo when her boyfriend seated himself right beside her.

A menu, unlike any they had ever seen, lay on the table in front of the centerpiece. It had been hand-painted in watercolor. It had their names on the top and a description of every plate.

There was a quote at the bottom, "Se l'amore rechiede solo baci, a cosa serve la fama del capocuoco? (If love requires only kisses, what is the use of the fame of the chef?)"

"I'll put your roses in water," said Kat taking the bouquet from Grace's hands.

Before leaving the waitress said, "I have just one question to ask you..."

"...Can you pay for all of this?" Landon completed the sentence in his head.

"Would you like a drink?"

That was the only question they were asked all evening.

The dinner began. Silver sparkled and crystal glistened in the candlelight. The string quartet played in the background. Service was constant, attentive, and unobtrusive.

They never felt the waitress near them. Everything simply happened as if by sorcery.

The food was splendid. Each course was more exquisite than the one that came before it, and every taste and flavor would have thrilled the most meticulous gourmet.

They kept the conversation light, though their minds were working overtime.

Grace had no idea what was going on. It seemed as if she living one of her more romantic dreams. If so, she never wanted to wake up.

Landon was thinking how to pay for all this. Most importantly, he wanted to discuss the matter in private with the owners to avoid Grace the most humiliating moment of her life.

From time to time, Grace dared to glance up into Landon's bright eyes. They looked more beautiful than usual because of the candlelight.

About halfway through their dinner, Tony approached their table wearing a red chef's hat. He smiled and greeted them, "Landon... Grace..., I hope you're enjoying your dinner."

They both replied in unison, "It was superb!" And they laughed.

Tony drew up a chair and sat down and talked with them, delighting them with anecdotes of his childhood when he learned to cook from his nonna, and how Kat and he prepared a Lady-and-the-Tramp-themed surprise dinner for Red.

After Tony left their table, the director of the string quartet left his seat and came to their table to greet them. He asked them if they were enjoying the music and wished them a Merry Christmas.

When Grace's attention was distracted for a moment, the violinist leaned over to Landon and whispered, "'A Thousand Years' at midnight. Good luck!" He rose, grinning, and walked back to his seat.

Dessert was brought to their table and it was as delicious as the rest of the meal.

CHAPTER 7

Kat approached their table and told Landon that he was required at the kitchen for a moment.

Grace looked at him with a question in her eyes and he shrugged.

Landon excused himself and followed the waitress, knowing that they were about to present him with the bill. The dreaded moment had finally arrived.

Once he entered the kitchen, he saw the manager, the chef, and the waitress smiling at him.

Red Harding handed him the bill on a silver plate and said, "We thought you might prefer not to have this brought to your table."

"I couldn't agree more," he muttered under his breath. Then, raising his voice, he said, "Look, I'm pretty sure you know I don't have the money to pay for all this. Even when this was a misunderstanding, I plan to honor my debt. Perhaps we can reach some kind of arrangement. I'll wash dishes. I'll do windows, I'll paint the walls. I'm pretty handy and I'll do whatever work you need to pay for my bill. All I'm asking is don't tell Grace. Don't ruin her surprise."

"Landon, look at the bill, Landon," Red said still smiling which was strange. He should be frowning.

"I'd rather not. Just tell me how much is it and I'll do my best to pay you back as soon as possible."

Kat came close to Landon, placed a hand on his arm, and said, "Landon, trust me. Take a look at the bill."

He turned the slip of paper over fearfully and looked at the total. It said, "Paid in full, Merry Christmas."

He looked at them in amazement and gratitude.

"But, how is this possible? This evening must have cost you a fortune."

A side door opened and people started coming into the kitchen.

"We got your six, Bro," a deep voice said.

"Derek, what's going on? What's all this?"

"This is friends helping a friend," John Harding walked in behind Landon. "All the poker crew pitched in and helped."

Bill Anderson, Jonah Hitchcock, and Mayor Thompson smiled at Landon.

"We changed your M&Ms for real money," Bill Anderson said with a wink.

Landon shook his head. "This is too much. I can't accept it," his voice was hoarse with emotion, his eyes burning unexpectedly.

"You can and you will. You make my sister happier than she had ever been. That's priceless," Steve added.

Landon's mother and sister walked into the kitchen behind Steve.

"Now we come to the second part of our plan, are you ready to propose to Grace, Landon?" Callie asked her brother.

"Propose? Yeah, well, the thing is I don't have a ring. I don't have a proposal planned either. This whole event was supposed to be a dream, a game I played with you, Sis..."

"I can help with the ring problem," announced a firm voice.

Marcus Carter walked into the kitchen helping himself with a cane. The old man stood in front of Landon, put his hand into his pocket, and handed him a blue velvet box.

Landon took the box and opened it with shaky hands. The most beautiful diamond engagement ring was nestled in velvet.

"Marcus! This is too much. Besides, it's a bit..."

"Gaudy?" the old man completed the sentence. "It totally is. It's a treasured family heirloom that was gathering dust for years in the safe box. I'm happy to be able to pass it to another honorary family member."

"I... just... don't know... I can't accept it! It must cost a fortune." The lump in his throat was impossible to swallow. The barrage of emotions was almost too much for him to handle.

"You can and you will," Marcus insisted.

Landon sniffed and nodded, "Okay, I'll accept the ring with one condition. You'll be my best man at our wedding."

Marcus pretended to think for a minute, "I have a counter proposal for you. I'll be your best man if you let me take care of the reception."

The old man arched a brow and extended his hand.

"Deal," Landon said finally, shaking Marcus' hand.

"You're a tough negotiator." Then the old man smiled, patted Landon's back and pushed him to the door, "Now go and close the deal, Son."

"Don't worry about the proposal. Just speak from your heart," Red Harding suggested. "It worked for me."

Kat grabbed her husband's arm and leaned her head on his shoulder.

"Good luck, Bro," Callie wished, giving the thumbs up to her brother.

"We brought you some moral support," Diana guided Scout to the center of the group.

"Scout!" Landon got on one knee and hugged his service dog who was licking his face and whining.

"I missed you too."

"I have a wonderful idea," Tony took the ring box from Landon's hand and tied it to Scout's collar with a red bow. "Perfect. Call him when you're ready."

The chef winked at Landon.

"We'll keep our fingers crossed for you. Good luck, Bro," Derek wished Landon.

He nodded, unable to speak and walked back into the room glowing.

In the meantime, Grace was thinking that Landon never ceased to amaze her. She never thought he was able to plan a romantic evening like this for her. It made her shiver from head to toes every time she thought about all the trouble he had gone through just to make her happy.

"Shall we dance?" Landon's voice brought her back to reality. He made a slow, stiff yet refined bow

"It would be my pleasure," she said managing a lovely and graceful curtsey for him.

Grace felt her boyfriend's hand on her arm, guiding her gently to the floor.

They just felt warm and cozy in each other's arms as they smoothly glided across the floor. They swayed to the soft music. Grace brought her hands to Landon's neck. He cupped her cheeks. Her eyes caught the twinkling lights perfectly, making them look like stars. Their lips met. It was a soft, lingering kiss. What could be more perfect?

Grace was living a fairy-tale evening, and it was all real. Landon was real. Their love was real. Their relationship was real.

"I'm in love!" she screamed in her mind, "How wonderful. I'm in love."

The thought brought tears of joy to her eyes.

At five minutes till midnight, the director of the quartet turned toward Landon, smiled, and winked. He raised his hand and brought it down, and suddenly the first chords of "A Thousand Years" started.

Landon guided Grace back to her chair. Then he let out a short whistle and Scout came out of the kitchen door. The ring box was tied to his collar.

The dog sat in front of Grace and offered her his paw. Grace looked up to find Landon down on one knee in front of her, eyes gleaming, smile as wide as she'd ever seen it.

"Oh my God!" Grace breathed, while joyful light danced in her eyes.

Landon untied the bow, opened the box, and held the ring up to her. It sparkled under the room light, and Landon thought his girlfriend might tumble off the chair.

"Landon..." she whispered.

"I know it's a bit fancy. We can change it for a simpler one."

"Don't you dare! It's perfect."

He placed the ring on Grace's finger and said, "I'm not an easy person to love..."

"That's not true," she protested. He laid a finger on her lips.

"But I can promise you wholeheartedly that you will be loved with so much passion and intensity that you'll forget what life felt like before I came along. You will always be cared for and you will always have someone in your corner. It's been a long time coming, Grace McAllister, but I love you with every fiber of my being. I want to spend the rest of my life loving you. Will you let me?"

"Yes!!!!" She wanted to shout the word, but she could only squeak out a whisper. She gulped several times, tears streaming down her face. "Yes, yes, yes, yes. A thousand times, yes. I'll marry you Landon Petersen, my true and only love, my life, my everything."

Landon's eyes shone. "Scout, if you don't mind?" He pointed to the ground and Scout, evidently all-too-willing an accomplice, sat obediently down. It gave Landon enough room to lean in and give Grace a deep loving kiss that made the world spin in circles around her.

They barely registered the cheers and the applause from all the people gathering around them.

EPILOGUE

Landon and Grace got married the day after Christmas.

It was a perfect wedding. It showcased the deep and abiding love Grace and Landon shared, which was meant to last and conquer adversity. Steve walked his sister down the aisle, and Callie was one of the bridesmaids.

Landon's vows brought tears to all the people present at the church.

"My beautiful bride, you are the most exceptional woman I have ever met. I am one lucky man to be able to call you my wife, my partner, my teammate...."

Grace pumped her fist in the air and shouted, "Go, Team Landon!"

There were a few laughs and several voices joined her.

"You saved me from the darkness that overwhelmed my soul. You saved me from my worst self. You saved me and showed me how to love again. You fought at my side to make me the man I always wanted to be. I will cherish you. I will love you. I will take care of you. I will be there for you to fight every battle together as a team. I will faithfully love you always and forever."

Tears streamed down the bride's cheeks.

Landon's eyes, too, misted over with happiness. He flipped her veil over after it was all said and done, then cupped her cheek lovingly. Tenderly.

Then he pressed his lips to hers and the audience erupted into applause.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I give you to... Mr. and Mrs. Landon Petersen!" Reverend Marsden said.

It was a perfect reception too. Everyone clapped their hands as Landon and Grace entered the room.

Landon dipped Grace down before wrapping his arms around her and coming in for a loving kiss. She threaded her arms around his neck as he picked her up, then twirled her around the floor.

Everyone had a wonderful time dancing and eating and joking. It was fun and unique. Marcus Carter was the perfect host. The old man looked happy as a child on Christmas morning. He even danced a few steps with the bride.

Besides the ring, Marcus gifted the newlyweds the title of the cabin where Landon had been living.

"It's already done," was all he said when Landon protested it was too much.

It was the perfect honeymoon too. Instead of going to some place, they stayed at their cabin for a week. His mother and his sister moved to Grace's place.

One morning, Grace woke up to an empty bed. It wasn't strange since Landon was an early riser.

She found him sitting on the porch, with a cup of hot chocolate watching the snowy mountains. Scout was lying at his feet.

She sat at her husband's side, and wrapped her blanket around him.

"What are you thinking, my love?"

"I love the peace and beauty of the sunrise. Everything is so still. Even the birds are silent. Then, moments before the sun appears you can see, high up in the sky, a change as the blackness begins to take the morning colors. You see shades of blue, orange, yellow, and red as they slowly begin to catch the first rays of the morning sun. Then, the sun peeks over the mountains, and darkness gives way to light."

Landon looked his wife in the eyes, "That's what you did for me. I couldn't find peace, I felt guilt, fear, and pain. I felt unworthy, unloved. I was struggling with my life because I felt there was darkness all around me. I was lost." He took his wife's hand in his. "You took the darkness out of my life so I could see the light. Now there is no darkness in me, only love."

Grace nodded and laid her head on her husband's shoulder.

"You give me too much credit, my love. You were already on the good path. I just walked at your side."

He brought her hand to his lips and kissed its back lovingly. "Agree to disagree."

"You save me too," Grace confessed in a soft voice. "I had locked up my heart with seven keys so I could protect myself from the heartbreak. I had built walls around me. I was nursing anger and resentment against men. It was poisoning my soul..." She swallowed hard and went on. "And then you came into my life. You were so broken that you could barely hold yourself together. But you didn't give up. You kept fighting to find the light."

She took her husband's hand in hers. "And you made me want to fight at your side. And when I did, I started to fight my own darkness too. I found the light because of you, Landon."

She looked into her husband's eyes, took his face between her hands, and kissed him deeply. It was a long, loving lingering kiss.

"I love you so much it hurts, my love," Grace said.

They sat there in silence. A silence full of love and understanding. Their hearts were filled with confidence and certainty they could conquer any obstacle that might come their way.

THE END

***

I wish a Merry Christmas to all my readers. Thank you for your support, your votes, your comments and your feedback. My warmest thoughts and best wishes are with you. May the spirit of the Holidays fill your home with love and peace.

12