All Comments on 'A Counter Attack'

by Cromagnonman

Sort by:
  • 27 Comments
SequoiaSempervirensSequoiaSempervirensabout 1 year ago

Loved it! A bit rushed at the end, at least to my thinking, but still well worth five stars.

shopratshopratabout 1 year ago

I think your ending was very rushed, but good story.

sdc97230sdc97230about 1 year ago
No trial scene?

This story really called for a detailed account of the Pembertons being crushed in court.

MeanderlwcMeanderlwcabout 1 year ago

A fun story. I agree that the ending seemed a bit rushed. Also the “I” in the story seemed to bounce between characters without a noticeable transition. Did not take much from the story, it was still a fun read. 5*

des911des911about 1 year ago

I agree with the other comments - good story, nicely developed, but rushed. There is certainly scope for a more elaborate version, particularly towards the end.

Enjoyed it. Thank you

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Pretty damn stupid. Rich people would never hire an incompetent attorney. Your story states that both father and son were sub par at their jobs. Legal firms become top flight due to the professional acumen of the partners. The unsupported claims made by the author of no evidence of associates being summarily dismissed when simple employment records would substantiate the fact seemed like filler. Overall, not that good.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

There are a couple of problems. On the first page Tim tells Jordan: "My word to you is go your hardest, and while you're at it, have a chat with your father. I handed HR my resignation yesterday and he has sent me a copy of the reference that he has written that states that I have shown a higher than normal level of competence and that he is sorry to see me leave this practise." Later on the same page, Tim is summoned to Pemberton Sr.'s office: "Pemberton Senior was not a happy person. I had been summoned to his office within ten minutes of my resignation being passed by Human Resources to the Administration section, to the person responsible for the staffing issues, and from him to Pemberton Senior. 'What is this?' He demanded, waving my resignation in my face... 'Get out! You're fired!'

'No, I have resigned, and my resignation was in the hands of your HR. Manager before I was summons here.'

'Was it?' He tore the paper up and threw it into his waste basket."

So it can't be both. Pemberton Sr. did not give Tim a positive reference and say he regretted his leaving, and at the same time tear up his resignation and tell him he was fired.

A lesser issue is that Cameron tells Tim and Laurinda that their only other choices are "Buckley's and none, and Buckley's is not looking too promising." Apparently he means Burnley Legal, and surely he knows Tim's name.

The story had promise, but I couldn't get past the carelessness.

muskyboymuskyboyabout 1 year ago

Liked the story but the ending was way too rushed, like you just got tired of writing this one.

EgregiousEgregiousabout 1 year ago

Another first class story from demander, thanks for sharing.

juanviejojuanviejoabout 1 year ago

GOOD WHILE IT LASTED.

Grant_GlapsvidhrsonGrant_Glapsvidhrsonabout 1 year ago

The whole premise is stupid.

It should have been: "I can't accept your offer I already accepted another position. I resign and don't need a referral."

End of story, fade to black. The End.

Boyd PercyBoyd Percyabout 1 year ago

Good one! But it is rushed at the end.

5

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

It was a light-hearted and predictable romp…quite fun, but no real emotional involvement.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Yo, Egregious! Ya high or what? Cromagnonman wrote this solid shit!

t8ntliklyt8ntliklyabout 1 year ago

Liked it but as one reviewer stated, it felt no, it was rushed at the end. Could have used another chapter or two.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Another writer said, Finish the **** story and has written ending for many.

Smiffy69Smiffy69about 1 year ago

Echo the other comments. Would have the 5th star if the ending hadn’t been rushed. Could do better!

teedeedubteedeedubabout 1 year ago

Yeah, it's shit but it's funny and a mad romp through unmanageable legal horseshit. Thanks for sharing.

Diecast1Diecast1about 1 year ago

The could have been longer or add another chapter! Like it . AAAA+++

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbiman12 months ago

Awesome. Fast paced, catchy dialogue, very entertaining.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Where is the conclusion?

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Excellent read!!!

Short, of so sweet and to the point.

Of course a sequel would be exciting, but I think the author accomplished his goal quite well

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Story gets too rushed on the last page. What a waste of time

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

Excellent read, the type of story line and characters one wishes would go on and on. But then it would be a novel and not a short story. Given all the quality I am compelled to award a 5.

Thanks for such a fun read.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 month ago

My 2nd reading. Same effect for me.

A really good basic plot; appealing protagonists, writing sorely needed a good editing.

Both their lacks of clothes changes and Charles Pemberton’s first reported accolades with subsequent loud insults with termination of Main Character are offered as plot straightening needs; proof reading for complete sentences, spelling, etc. have too many instances to note.

Thanks for writing this, for sure!

Craig

Wolfgang1955Wolfgang1955about 1 month ago

5☆ Seems the story was rushed

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userCromagnonman@Cromagnonman
I'm a pretty normal average male, chronologically well over 18 but psychologically I'm not so sure. I have been writing as a hobby for many years and now that I have time on my hands I am looking to become more professional at it. I enjoy reading, morning walks along the river...

SIMILAR Stories

Irish Eyes 
4.82
3.5k
788
I'm 51 
4.83
764
587
The Unicorn 
4.84
1.9k
621
Let Go 
4.7
1.6k
841
More Stories