A Death in the Family Ch. 04

Story Info
Conclusion; final confrontation between I.C. and Trent Ridge.
12k words
4.86
9.7k
9

Part 4 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 01/17/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

Part 22 - Fearless

As Trent Ridge moved towards the A.C. unit, another shadow crossed the back door. Standing there was Your Iron Crowbar, armed with the red crowbar and ready for personal combat with the ex-Navy-SEAL.

"Oh. It's you." said Ridge. "So I didn't kill you. That'll be easy enough to fix."

"Bring it on." I snarled. "There's no way out for you now." Trent realized the truth of that, and hurled himself into the attack...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

When Trent's gun had fired back in Daniel's house, it was between us at an angle. The bullet hit me on the side of the hip... right in the 'girdle' that I was wearing to support my back. The bullet lodged into the girdle, and the force of the blow spun me around, but also knocked the gun out of Trent's hand. Seeing me fall, he thought I was dead or injured, so he chose to run out the back door instead of retrieving it.

Daniel had run down the stairs, and found me getting up off the floor. I took off my Police belt and handed it to him. "Use the gun to protect the women." I growled. "And use the radio to call it in."

"Don't you need the gun?" Daniel called out.

"Not with the kids in the line of fire!" I shouted back. I then tore off after Trent, despite the pain in my side from the blow to the 'girdle'. But what was pain and some bruising, when my daughter's life was at stake?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Trent went after me to grab the crowbar, but I whirled it around out of his reach and then swung it at his side. He rolled with the blow, then went straight after me... displaying a shoulder joint. I knew what to do with those.

*WHAM!*

Ridge went down hard, but he rolled with it and sprang to his feet. He was in his early 30s and in very good physical condition, and he had experience in personal combat. And it was bastards like him that were the reason I trained like hell.

It was time to finish this. It is said that when in a fight, to fight like you have whatever you love most behind you. In this case, I really did. Carole and Patricia were here, somewhere, and my failure meant their deaths. And that was more than enough.

Like I had done against Cindy in the Police Boxing Matches, I feinted left and my body carried me right. Instead of swinging the crowbar, though, I grabbed Ridge's arm at the elbow joint and took him down by pushing on his shoulder blade. I landed on top of him, feeling his shoulder give way as his face and chest slammed into the plywood flooring. I pulled his arm on behind him as he screamed in pain. I held on for dear life as I heard sirens in the distance, and getting louder...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

A moment later, Police Officers were pouring into the house. "Give me some handcuffs." I ordered. "I'm not about to let this bastard go." I was helped to get Trent cuffed, then I got more handcuffs and cuffed his ankles together. Only then did I get up.

"This guy is dangerous as hell." I said. "Make sure he's shackled at all times. Don't even play with him." Trent was physically carried out of the house and to a waiting Police paddywagon under heavy armed guard.

The screen to the A.C. unit clattered to the floor, and a bright smiling five-year-old face came into view. "Well, hello, Carole!" said Lt. Rudistan with great joviality. "Playing hide and seek, there?"

"Yes, Mr. Rooood-istan." said Carole. "We were hiding from the bad guy until Daddy could get here and save us."

"And you did very, very well." I said. "You were very brave. Both you girls were very brave." I hugged Carole as she climbed out and came to me. Then Patricia came out, looked around, and went flying into her dad's arms...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Like you said, sir," said Sergeant Morton at County Jail, "he's a dangerous one. We took his ankle shackles off, and he began kicking at us. Fortunately a lot of us have trained for the Police Boxing Matches, and Rudistan parried his blows until we TASERed him... TASERed the perp, that is."

"Yeah, he wants nothing more than to kill a Police Officer, if he can." I said. "He stays chained and shackled when he's not in the isolation cell."

We were in the 1st Precinct Conference Room. Laura had examined me and found bruising on my hip, but no apparent further damage. I told the Chief and Cindy that I would be needing a new 'girdle', and they absolutely took advantage of the opportunity to give me no end of grief about it... though I knew a new one would be coming quickly, seeing as we were losing count of how often the 'girdle' had saved my life.

"All right," I said tiredly, "we've got the Board of Inquiry in an hour. We'll have to hold Ridge until that's over, and I can interrogate him. Any word from the Feds on trying to get jurisdiction of him?"

"Not a peep so far." said ADA Paulina Patterson. "He'll be arraigned in the morning. Attempted murder of a Police Officer, two counts of attempted kidnapping, and then we'll work backwards to the other things he's done."

"I'd imagine," said the Chief, "that the FBI will want him for the EMPTY-QUIVER-related charges. I hope so, anyway. I don't want us to have to deal with that mess."

"He didn't participate in that in this County." I said. "So it's not a problem for us."

"My question is 'why?'." said Lt. Jerome Davis. "Why in the heck did he go after Carole like that? With you around, sir? And Dr. Fredricson, and Mayor Allgood, and Mrs. Allgood all there?"

"It's gotta be desperation." said Cindy. "They must really want that Mutanix from BOW Enterprises. Or is Edward Blassingame so desperate to get his son out of jail that he'd have Trent take this desperate a gamble?"

"No." I said. "This was not about the Mutanix, nor Blassingame. It was worse. I think this bastard Ridge fully intended to shoot and kill Carole and Patricia, right in front of us, their parents. It was a suicide mission for him."

"Not that I would ever say you are wrong about any-thinnnnng." drawled the Chief. "But why do you think that?"

"Call it a vibe." I said. "No rational explanation. Just a vibe." Cindy nodded in agreement as I said "But it doesn't matter. It's over. We've got the son of a bitch."

There was rationality behind it, though. I just didn't want to say it out loud. The first thing I remembered was that Melina had stopped the KXTC vehicles from approaching us at BOW Enterprises, thus thwarting whatever Trent intended to do as the driver of the second KXTC van.

And I also realized that Carole had felt the vibe that Trent intended to kill her, not capture her, and that is why she ran! Of course she did not leave Patricia behind, as she had not left Marie behind when Trent had tried to kidnap her earlier. She has a good heart. She did what she had to do, and she was alive now, and several of us were alive now, because of it.

The 'fun' part of my day was over. Now came the truly sucky part: County politics.

Part 23 - The Board of Inquiry

2:00pm, Wednesday, June 12th. The Board of Inquiry Chamber was full of reporters and Police Officers that were not being called to testify. The room was uneasily silent and tense as the five Board Members filed in and took their seats behind the bench. Chairman Silas sat in the middle, with Mr. Landau and Mr. Morse to his right, and Mr. Fitzgerald and Mr. Finneran to his left.

"I have appointed Mr. Finneran to act as the Manager on behalf of this Board of Inquiry," announced Silas, "which means he will lead the questioning and call the witnesses."

The Police Captain Union's rep stood up and said "I object to that, and I object to Finneran's presence on this Board. He has constantly shown bias---"

"Overruled!" snarled Silas.

"I haven't finished----" started the Union Rep.

"OVERRULED!" shouted Silas, standing up himself. "I just told you that your objection to Finneran is overruled! You keep your damn mouth shut, or I'll have you forcibly removed! Mr. Finneran will remain on this Board of Inquiry, and he will lead the questioning of the witnesses!"

"It's going to be that kind of day." I whispered to Mike G. Todd, my attorney, who was sitting next to me. I had been formally named as the object of the Inquiry, and so could remain in the room despite the intent to call me as a witness.

"Something's up with all this." Mike said. "We asked for the witness list, and Silas refused to give it to us... until I filed a lawsuit asking for a postponement until I got the list. They sent it immediately. Problem is, according to the list, they only want to hear from Chief Moynahan, you, and Captain Croyle."

Indeed, Finneran called Chief Moynahan to the stand. Finneran started in on him: "Chief, whose plan was it?"

"What specific plan?" the Chief replied.

"The plan to raid the warehouse with a military-style assault." snarled Finneran.

"I bee-lieve it was the culmi-nay-shunnnn of several persons's input." said the Chief. "I made the ultimate final approval, of course."

"Who specifically contributed to the plan, Chief?" Finneran asked, his voice harsh and unfriendly. "Name names, Chief."

"The SWAT leader, Lieutenant Hewitt." said the Chief. "Lieutenant Irwin himself was a part of it. And myself and Commander Troy."

"Commander Troy." said Finneran. "What about Captain Croyle?"

"I had her sitting this one out, since it was her husband that was being held hostage." said the Chief.

"Did Commander Troy ever suggest Captain Croyle be a part of the raid?" asked Finneran.

"No." said the Chief.

"Why not?" snarled Finneran. "He's sent her into harm's way several times, as her six Purple Orders attest. Why not this time?"

"Like I just said, but you clearly didn't pay attention to," replied the Chief, "I had her sitting this one out."

"But Commander Troy didn't sit it out. He was part of the planning, as you just said." Finneran shot back. "Why was he a part of it?"

"He was not a part of the raid, and that also was at my di-rec-shunnnn." growled Moynahan. "He was part of the planning, which is what you asked earlierrrrrrr."

"Why weren't Commander Troy and Captain Croyle part of the raid?" queried Finneran. "Aren't they your best, most highly decorated Officers? Don't they have the experience to conduct raids like this?"

"I've already answered that regarding Captain Croyle." said the Chief. "As to Commander Troy, he is related by blood to Todd Burke." I thankfully noted that the Chief stopped short of saying it was not my job but the SWAT team's job... which Finneran would be eager to use against us in the future.

"So you admit you did not send your best people to conduct this raid?" Finneran asked harshly.

"I admit nothing of the kind." said the Chief. "Your question is disingenuous."

"Did you or did you not send your best people to conduct that raid, Chief Moynahan?" snarled Finneran.

"Define 'best people', Mr. Finneran." replied the Chief. "Particularly with regard to the conduct of that op-errr-a-shunnnnn."

"Stop trying to entrap the Chief, Finneran!" Mr. Fitzgerald said loudly.

"I did not recognize you to speak, Fitzgerald." said Silas menacingly.

"I don't need your so-called recognition to call out Finneran for his dirty tricks." fired back Fitzgerald.

"I agree." said Mr. Landau. "Finneran's questions are disingenuous, and are not seeking the truth but are hostile in intent."

"Ignore them." said Silas, to Finneran. "Carry on, Mr. Finneran."

"No more questions." said Finneran, walking away in disgust. "You may step down."

"Hold on." said Mr. Landau. "The rest of us Board members have the right to ask questions, as well."

"I appointed Finneran as our Manager." said Silas. "He asks the questions and says when the witness is dismissed."

"I object!" said Mike G. Todd, rising to his feet. "Mr. Landau has the right to ask questions. If you deny him that, I'm taking this to Court again to get this proceeding delayed for at least a week."

Silas looked like he was going to pop a blood vessel, but he didn't reply to Mike. "Ask your damn questions, Landau." he finally said.

"Chief," said Mr. Landau, "you made the decision to send in the SWAT Teams and other well-trained Officers to conduct this raid, is that right?"

"Yes, that's right." said the Chief.

"And regardless of how good Commander Troy and Captain Croyle are," said Landau, "you held them back because of their kinship with the hostage, is that correct?"

"That is correct." said the Chief.

"Sounds to me like you made wise, correct decisions." said Mr. Landau.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Finneran called me up next, and had me sit in the witness chair rather than remain at the 'defense' table. I surmised he wanted to get me away from my lawyer and the Union Rep, not that that would help.

"Are you comfortable in that chair, Commander Troy?" Finneran asked. "Is your back okay?"

"That's irrelevant to this proceeding." I said. "And my back can outlast your hatred of Police all day, no matter what chair I'm sitting in."

"You will confine yourself to answering the Manager's questions!" Silas practically shouted.

I stood up. "Mike, file the lawsuit. Let's end this charade now." Mike got up and fished his cellphone out of his pocket.

"All right, all right!" gasped Silas. "Continue with the questions, Mr. Finneran."

"No. You heard me, Mike." I said. "Make the call."

"This is my Board proceeding, Commander Troy!" Silas yelled. "You file that lawsuit and I'll have you suspended!"

"You don't have that power, Silas." I said menacingly. "And I'm willing to prove it. Mike, make the call..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Thirty minutes later, the proceedings started again. Somewhat to my surprise, Judge Folsom got personally involved. He told Silas to get his (act) together, and instructed all of us to continue with the (charade).

"Commander Troy," said Finneran, "why didn't you have Captain Croyle lead that raid in Lt. Irwin's place?"

"First, because the Chief instructed that she would not participate in the raid." I said. "Second, because it was her husband in there."

"But Commander!" Finneran said with mock shock. "In previous Inquiries, you've insisted that it's your job to make Captain Croyle's assignments, in spite of this Board's repeated requests if not demands that you reconsider placing her in danger. Why was this time different?"

"I just answered that." I replied.

"Do you think Lieutenant Irwin was better for the mission that led to him being shot to death than Captain Croyle was?" Finneran asked angrily.

"Like Chief Moynahan just replied," I said, "define 'better for the mission'."

"You're avoiding answering my question, Troy." Finneran said accusingly.

"And I'm not going to answer it until you clarify it." I replied.

"I'm saying that Captain Croyle is smaller and faster than Lieutenant Irwin," shouted Finneran, "and that she could've reached Todd Burke more quickly and gotten him out of the way more quickly. So why didn't you have her leading that aspect of the raid?"

"Upon what do you base your unsubstantiated premise, which I don't accept, that Captain Croyle would not have met the same fate as Lt. Irwin did?" I asked back.

"You fucked up again, Troy!" Finneran yelled, his face beet red. "And this time a Police Officer died because you chose wrong!"

I stood up. "I am going to make an uninterrupted statement." I said. "If you try to interrupt or stop me, this proceeding will end immediately and both local and Federal lawsuits will be filed." There was utter silence in response.

I began: "It is obvious that Finneran has no interest in getting to the truth, which is what this Board's mission should be. Yes, in the past Finneran claimed I was wrong to allow Captain Croyle to undertake dangerous missions. Now he's asserting, with no substantive evidence, that I'm wrong for not letting her lead the raid the other day."

I continued: "It is obvious that Finneran's bias and hatred of Police is such that if we do plan 'A', he will say we were wrong and should have done plan 'B'; and when we do plan 'B', he'll say we were wrong and should've done 'A'. No matter what we do, he says it was the wrong way. Nothing we do will ever be correct in Finneran's bias-and-hatred-addled eyes. Therefore, there is no point in me continuing with this sham, and I will answer no more of your questions."

And with that, I stepped down from the witness stand and went back to the 'defense' table. And again to my surprise, Silas didn't try anything else with me. He said simply "Call your next witness, Mr. Finneran."

"I call Captain Teresa Croyle to the stand." said Finneran. Teresa was brought into the room and took her place in the witness chair.

"So, Captain Croyle," Finneran said loudly. "How do you feel?"

"Objection!" said the Union Rep, standing up.

"Overruled!" Silas yelled back. "I've already told you to shut your mouth. One more word out of you, and I'll have you removed."

I stood up. "The Union Rep has every right to speak up in defense of a witness being badgered with irrelevant questions. I would also ask this, Mr. Silas... who are you going to get to remove him? I'm not going to do it, and I will order anyone in the Public Safety Department to disregard your unlawful order. He's not going anywhere."

"Proceed, Mr. Finneran." Silas said.

"How do you feel, Captain Croyle?" asked Finneran.

"In what context?" Teresa asked.

"How do you feel," said Finneran gleefully, springing his trap, "knowing that a Police Officer died and your husband lived?"

Even the Press in the audience gasped at the ugliness of Finneran's question. As the Union Rep stood up, Silas said "Sit back down. Answer Mr. Finneran's question, Captain!"

"Yes, I want to know how you feel," reiterated Finneran, "knowing that a Police Officer died saving your husband, with you sitting outside and not participating. Why didn't you lead that raid yourself? After all, it was your husband being held hostage, and being lashed with a bullwhip in there."

I rose from my chair. "Don't answer that." I said. I went around and to the witness chair to escort Teresa out, putting myself between her and Finneran. "Come on, let's get out of here."

"I'm not finished with her yet!" Finneran said. I squared up to him.

"Yes you are." I said, brandishing my red crowbar. "Unless you think you can physically whip me." My eyes bore into him, and I prayed he'd say or do something. Everyone else in the room was frozen in place.

Silas called out "You won't get away with this, Troy. We're going to get you. If not today, there will be other day, and other Boards."

"I'm counting on it." I said. "Enjoy what little time you have left on the Board. You too, Finneran."

"You can't stop him from being on any Police Boards of Inquiry, Troy." said Silas.

I just smiled. An ugly smile, that no one wants to see on my face. I said nothing. Teresa had come off the stand and was now taking my arm to lead me out of there. Mike Todd and the Union Rep joined us as we walked out, followed by Chief Moynahan and Sheriff Griswold.

The Sheriff stopped at the door. "Better be sure, Silas." he growled. "You're on this Board, for now. But Donald Troy is on a Commission!"