A Dragon's Tale Ch. 21

Story Info
Toss a coin to your Drago, O' valley of plenty.
18.8k words
4.84
25.8k
66

Part 21 of the 57 part series

Updated 04/26/2024
Created 07/28/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Antiproton
Antiproton
2,471 Followers

***I self-edit and admit editing isn't my greatest skill. I apologize in advance for anything I missed.***

CHAPTER 21: Toss a coin to your Drago, O' valley of plenty

Selene followed 'the suit' through the forest, noting the irony of the fact that he hadn't been forthcoming with his name. The forest was lovely, but the man she was following was making the experience harder to enjoy.

"Where are we going?" She asked.

"Local police chatter indicates that there's another man from 10k1 in the area. I've been ordered to detain him."

"10k1?"

"Well that portal doesn't lead into a black hole." He replied.

"Fair point." She admitted. "So 10k1 is your codename for wherever the portal leads?"

"That's one possibility." He said evasively.

"You know where the portal leads, don't you?"

"I can neither confirm nor deny that."

"Of course." Selene muttered under her breath. His response amounted to a confirmation in her mind, not that he would admit to it; whoever he was. "And seriously, what is your name?"

He stopped, turned, and then in a very good impression of Hugo Weaving's character from The Matrix series said: "The name is Smith, Agent Smith."

She raised an eyebrow. "You couldn't come up with anything more original?"

He shrugged, then in an affected British accent said: "The name is Bond; James Bond."

"Smith was better." She sighed.

He chuckled and started walking again. "You can spell it with a 'y' if you like, or add an 'e' at the end if it'll make you feel better; or both."

"So, Agent James Smith-Bond, where are we going?"

"Agent Smithbond; I like it." He nodded approvingly. "It captures my suave, dashing side don't you think?"

"I wouldn't know; I haven't seen it." She retorted dryly.

He touched his finger to his eyebrow in a mock salute as he glanced back at her. "Touché"

"So, where are we going?"

"We're here." He said as the path ended by meeting the parking lot of the forest preserve. He indicated a non-descript van that would've been completely innocuous in almost any city setting, but stuck out like a sore thumb here.

"Cute." Selene said.

He led the way to the back of the van, pulled the door open, and led her inside.

It was tight quarters, but also very impressive. Every inch of the inside was covered with monitors and other high-tech equipment. She didn't even recognize most of it except the 4k monitors. The resolution was so sharp, she wondered if it was something new, like 8k.

"Where are we?" Agent Smithbond asked a tiny woman with bright purple hair whose fingers were flitting over fifty different keyboards at speeds closer to The Flash than most computer nerds.

"Hang on, the satellite's coming online..." She typed for another few seconds before a screen came to life showing a real-time aerial video feed which looked like thermal. "...now. I've got an AC-130 on standby for fire support, and we should have this fellow dead to rights in a few minutes."

The purple haired woman glanced back and saw Selene, then with an oddly masculine affectation in her voice, she said: "Who are you? And who's the broad?"

"Broad?" Selene raised her eyebrow.

"Oh I'm nobody." Smithbond said in a different British accent. "I'm, I'm just a sort of local missionary chap--" he carelessly made the sign of the cross in the air with his fingers. "--spreading the good word and all that. But this is my newest recruit, Selene.

The purple haired woman shrugged dismissively, then said with the same odd masculine affectation: "Oh well, I guess she's not a total loss."

"I beg your pardon..." Selene started to say, when something clicked in her memory. "That's from The Mummy; the version with Brenden Frasier. You're both..." She cocked her head to one side. "...odd."

"Well, she's smarter than the last one." The purple-haired girl's face cracked into a wide smile. "I'm Yvonne by the way. How'd he rope you into this?" She asked, nodding her head toward Smithbond.

Selene figured 'when in Rome', and put on an impression of Marlon Brando from The Godfather. "He made me an offer I couldn't refuse."

"Oh, I like her!" Yvonne beamed. She turned to Smithbond. "Can we keep her?"

"Only if you finish your homework." He said with a wink. "Speaking of, how are we doing?"

"The satellite's up and Sec-Def is waiting for an update."

"Sec-Def?" Selene said, her eyes popping. They couldn't possibly be reporting directly to the Secretary of Defense. Could they?

Yvonne snort-laughed. "Works every time." She was laughing, but somehow Selene didn't get the impression she making fun of her. She seemed like one of those bubbly people who teased everyone good-naturedly. Selene even smiled back at her.

"Yeah, she's a keeper." Yvonne said before getting a more serious expression and turning back to the monitors. "We only have one outlying heat signature, and it's about one klick north of the portal. I have the tactical teams en-route."

Selene then watch in fascination as this bubbly, purple-haired woman spent the next ten minutes expertly guiding four different teams into the perfect positions to ambush the lone heat signature that wasn't tagged with a callsign. She was fairly certain it was the kidnapper they had been tracking.

"Remember, we need this guy alive." Smithbond said once they were in place. "Tasers and bean bags only."

"Copy that." She clicked her headset. "All teams, remember we need this one breathing; Tasers and bean bags only."

"Nest, this is Alpha leader." A voice came over the radio. "Please confirm rules of engagement."

"This is a priority one hostile extraction; I repeat, a priority one hostile extraction." Yvonne said into her headset.

"What's priority one mean?" Selene asked Smithbond.

"It means the target's life is more valuable than any solider out there." He replied.

"You're asking these men to sacrifice their lives for a kidnapper?"

"They volunteered, and I don't expect you to understand right now." He replied. "Frankly, if I had to choose between saving the President of the United States or bringing this guy in alive, there would be a funeral in Washington."

"But why?"

"Why do you ask questions to which you already know the answers?" He replied in a passable imitation of Sir Ian McKellen's Magneto from the first X-Men movie.

She raised her eyebrow.

"All things in time." He said, then turned to Yvonne. "Now, let's bag us a target."

"All teams, you are a go." Yvonne said into her headset.

* * *

Ethan was enjoying leaning against the Argo's railing with his three wives clustered around him when he heard Rachel calling his name from the direction of the earthen ramp.

"Ethan, you have some visitors."

He turned to see the strangest creatures he'd ever beheld. The three of them looked very much like young, beautiful women in overall form, but that's where the similarities to humans ended.

Their skin looked like the smooth bark of a young tree and was an attractive grey-brown color. They wore no clothes, but there was a growth of green moss that artfully covered their breasts and pelvic regions similar to a conservative two-piece swimsuit. Their green 'hair' resembled the dangling vines of a weeping willow, only much finer.

Their feet resembled the base of a tree. He couldn't tell if they were barely lifting their feet to walk or if they were simply wading through the ground, like a human would in a shallow pool. They stopped just short of the Argo's gangplank, so their feet remained ensconced in the earth.

"Um, hi." He said.

The three dryads bowed low at the waist.

"This one is honored to meet you, honored dragon." The lead dryad said. She looked nearly identical to the others, and he could only tell she was the leader because the other two stayed a half step behind her.

Behind them, Rachel mined bowing and mouthed: "honored to meet you." With an urgent nod toward the dryads.

Taking the hint, Ethan bowed in a similar manner. "And I'm honored to meet you..." He trailed off not knowing how to end the sentence.

*Honored dryads.* Beth offered telepathically.

*...Honored dryads." He finished, then straightened up. "Um, what can I do for you?"

The dryad inhaled sharply and looked both completely shocked and very impressed. She bowed low again; twice. "You are beyond magnanimous revered dragon, to offer to help one who is so lowly as this one. Truly, your generosity knows no bounds."

"Uh, you're welcome?" He replied a bit confused.

"This one thanks you for your bountifully generous offer to help this one, but we wish to extend an invitation." The dryad continued. "I represent the king of the wood elves, as your wife has no doubt informed you." The dryad gestured towards Alana.

He looked at his first wife to see a horrified look on her face. She was staring at the dryads like they presented a mortal threat, yet he could tell from looking at their bond that she wasn't the least bit scared of them.

She was scared of something though.

*What's wrong?* He asked telepathically.

She looked at him, fear and sadness in her eyes. *I'm sorry.* She said, her tone almost pleading. *I should've told you sooner. I...* She looked down in shame. He almost said something else, but the dryad continued just then.

"The most glorious king of the wood elves requests the honor of your presence at your earliest convenience."

"Uh..." He said, mind still preoccupied by Alana. "Why does he want to see me?" He asked, stalling for time to figure out what was going on with his wife.

"As you well know, word of your fame is spreading throughout the land. The king would like to meet a possible prophet of Illuminar -- blessed be He -- and entertain His prophet so the grace of the Most High God might fall upon his kingdom."

"I think you have me confused with someone else." Ethan replied. "I'm not a prophet of Illuminar."

"This one is confused." The dryad said. "Did you not use lightning, the weapon of Illuminar -- blessed be He -- that only He Himself can wield?"

"Well, yeah I did." He admitted.

The dryad looked more confused. "And did you not show such compassion and mercy as is unheard of in the land by bringing a mortal enemy back to life without the dark arts? A feat which only Illuminar Himself -- blessed be He -- has ever done before?"

"Yeah, I did that too." He admitted again.

"Then if you wield the weapon of the Mighty God of Light, and use His power to raise the dead, how could you not be His prophet? "

Ethan opened his mouth to respond, but Beth interrupted telepathically. *I wouldn't say that you didn't use Illuminar's power to bring Kendra back. They think only Illuminar or dark magic can do that. And if you didn't use Illuminar's power...*

*Then I used dark magic.* He nodded and considered the dryad. In the end, he decided his best option was to simply not answer the question.

"So, the king of the wood elves wants to see me." He looked at Alana, who was still hanging her head in shame, then back at the dryads. "Could you give me a minute, I need to talk with my wives."

"Of course." The dryad said with a bow, but she still looked confused.

"I can keep our guests entertained." Anthiel offered, coming down the stairs from the quarterdeck.

"Okay, let's talk in the captain's cabin." He said to his wives.

They all nodded.

"You too Rachel." He called as they headed towards the captain's cabin.

* * *

Rachel felt her heart swell as Ethan asked her to come too. She started following him automatically, without even thinking about it.

Why did he want her around when he talked to his wives?

Alana looked like she was marching towards her execution, but Rachel couldn't figure out what was upsetting her. She clearly had been afraid of something when she saw the dryads, but also clearly not afraid of the dryads themselves. Judging by the way she kept glancing at Ethan, it was something to do with him.

She followed them into the captain's cabin and closed the door behind her.

"What's wrong?" Ethan asked his chocolate-haired bride as soon as the door was shut. Rachel could see the deep concern he had for his wife, and it not only made her heart melt, but also made her slightly jealous. Not that she wanted to take what the wood elf had, but that she wanted the same for herself. She wanted someone to look on her with such concern.

Alana bit her lip. "Promise you won't hate me?"

He scooped her into a hug and planted a tender kiss on her lips. She almost resisted, which -- as far as Rachel was aware -- had literally never happened before.

"I could never hate you." He said kindly.

She nodded. "Promise you won't leave me?"

"Never." He said with conviction.

She nodded again.

Beth and Taloni came up to her and wrapped her in a group hug along with Ethan, putting her in the center.

"It's okay, you can tell us." Beth said.

Taloni fluttered her wings. "You've been so wonderful to me, I don't think I could ever even dislike you; much less hate you."

Rachel stood there awkwardly, wanting to comfort her friend but feeling slightly like an outsider because they were all bound by marriage; she was the odd one out. Then Alana glanced at her, and she couldn't stay back any longer.

She walked up and put a comforting hand on her best friend's shoulder. "You've been the best friend I could imagine; I think you're stuck with all of us."

Alana smiled weakly. "Okay.

"So, what is it?" Ethan asked, his arms still around her waist as the others gave her a bit of room.

"Um." She bit her lip and looked down. "My mother's last name... it's..." She took a deep breath. "My mother's last name is Kalon."

Rachel felt her jaw drop.

Beth gasped.

Taloni stared open-mouthed.

Ethan looked confused. "Um, and that means... what?"

"She's royalty." Beth breathed. "Or nearly royalty."

"Wow." Taloni stared at her star-struck.

Ethan looked at all of them, confusion still written all over his face. "Okay, tell me why the name 'Kalon' is so significant."

"They're one of the two most powerful noble houses in the wood elf kingdom, the other one being House Nalfigar." Rachel explained. "Both houses rival the crown in terms of both power and influence. While the king technically holds all the authority, Kalon and Nalfigar hold nearly as much influence."

"So, I married a princess?" Ethan looked at Alana.

The wood elf didn't meet his eye. "No, I'll never be in line for the throne because I don't have any royal blood."

"But isn't your mother...?" Beth cocked her head to one side.

Alana shook her head. "No, that was my mother's sister who wed the king."

Ethan's eyes bugged out slightly. "So, you're the king's niece by marriage?"

She nodded.

"But what were you so afraid of?" Rachel asked. "I assume there's more?"

"Yeah." Ethan agreed. "I mean, that's really cool and all, but what has you so worried?"

Alana stared at them.

"What?" Ethan and the redhead said in unison.

"That was it." The wood elf said quietly. "I thought you'd be mad that I didn't tell you. That's a pretty important thing to keep secret." She bit her lip, looking at them hopefully.

"Mad?" Ethan looked even more confused. "I mean, I would've preferred that you'd told me. But why would that make me mad?"

"I kept something from you; something I should've told you about." She replied. "That doesn't make you angry?"

"Well, I can try to get angry if you want." He said with a wink.

"No." Alana said quickly. "No, I don't like it when you're mad."

"Well okay then." He said as if the matter was settled. He kissed her on the forehead and then looked her in the eye. "Honestly, I don't care if your parents were paupers or the rulers of the universe; I married you for you, not for your family."

"Really?"

He nodded. "So you have family drama. Who doesn't? If I was going to be mad at something -- and I'm not -- but if I was going to be mad, I'd be more mad at myself than you, because you felt like you needed to hide it from me because of my temper."

He lifted her chin with the side of his index finger. "Okay?"

She nodded. "Okay."

"Now, do you have any objection to visiting the wood elf king?"

She shook her head.

"Then I'm going to accept the dryads' invitation. We can talk more later... princess." He winked.

She chuckled.

He kissed her tenderly on the forehead and then left the captain's cabin.

"So... a princess?" Rachel asked, not being able to resist teasing her slightly now that the wood elf was feeling better.

"I'm not a princess." Alana said with a sigh. "I can never be in line for the throne because I'm not blood-related to the king. Therefore, not a princess."

"Wow." Rachel said, barely able to prevent herself from laughing. "I've never been dressed down by royalty before."

Alana blushed scarlet.

"Your highness." Beth did a little curtsy with an impish grin.

"Your grace." Taloni followed suit, her wings fluttering as she suppressed a few giggles.

The wood elf did look like she was feeling better. Not completely better, but certainly much better. Since that was the case, the redhead figured a little humor might lighten the mood even further.

"Ladies." Rachel turned to Ethan's teenage wives with a mischievous grin. "Shouldn't you show a little more respect for greatness in our midst?"

"Okay, that's it. This is getting out of hand." Alana said with a smile. "I'm officially calling our first ever wives' meeting to order."

"I'll um... I'll just help Ethan with the dryads." Rachel said taking a step toward the door and feeling slightly left out. She obviously didn't belong at a 'wives meeting' because she wasn't actually one of Ethan's wives, but she felt twinge of jealousy anyway.

"Not so fast." Alana said almost imperiously, but also barely suppressing an impish smile. "As chairwoman of the wives committee, I hereby move to make Rachel Delmar an honorary member of the wives committee." She paused. "Though without the most enjoyable part..." She said with a twinkle in her eye and red cheeks.

"I'll need someone to second the motion." She finished.

"I second it." Beth said almost instantly.

"I sec-- rats." Taloni said as she was a hair slower than Beth, so she looked at the wood elf. "Can I third the motion?"

"Sure. All those in favor say 'aye'."

"Now wait just a moment--" Rachel began.

"Aye!" All of Ethan's wives chorused as one.

"Opposed?" Alana asked, eyeing Rachel as if daring her to object.

Rachel hesitated, wanting to object and yet not wanting to at the same time. She would love to be included with these other wonderful women, but wasn't sure she belonged as she wasn't married to Ethan.

The devious wood elf pounced on her hesitation.

"Resolution passed unanimously, three to zero." Alana pronounced. "Welcome to the wives' council Rachel."

"Um, thanks?" Rachel said, caught completely off guard by the strange turn of events.

"Now, do you understand your duties as a member of this committee?" Alana said with barely suppressed laughter.

"Not really." Rachel replied honestly.

"As a full member, you'd be expected to rock Ethan's world in bed as often as possible, but as an honorary member, you merely need to give him advice and be a good friend."

"I can do that."

"Oh, and you also need to occasionally pretend to be one of his wives to get a little well-deserved revenge on his horrible ex."

Rachel smiled. "I don't know about that, it sounds a little over the line."

"No, we'll allow it." Beth said shaking in silent laughter.

A sly smile spread across Rachel's face as an idea occurred to her. "Well then, as an honorary member, I'd like to suggest a more respectful title for our fearless leader."

Antiproton
Antiproton
2,471 Followers