A Dragon's Tale Ch. 27

Story Info
The road less traveled.
20.9k words
4.84
22.1k
58

Part 27 of the 57 part series

Updated 04/26/2024
Created 07/28/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Antiproton
Antiproton
2,471 Followers

***I self-edit and admit editing isn't my greatest skill. I apologize in advance for anything I missed.***

CHAPTER 27: The road less traveled

* * *

Kendra started feathering her airship's sails to reduce speed as she neared the crowded airspace of the wood elven capital city of Nalatia. Everything in her wanted to turn around, but she needed to warn Ethan -- and more importantly Taloni -- that Lord Delmar almost certainly knew that they were in the city. He would probably make a move by the end of the day and it was already past well past noon. That left the dragon huntress precious little time to find a berth, dock, find the Argo, and warn the crew of the impending danger.

She took a deep breath as she remembered theother thing that she needed to do while she was here. While everything in her was united in its desire to save the Fey teen, she was at war with herself on the other thing. She knew she needed to apologize to Ethan, but everything in her was telling her to run; run far away and never see him again, never talk of him again, and maybe never think of him again if she could manage it.

But she couldn't.

Taloni's life might be on the line if Lord Delmar attacked, and she simply couldn't risk that; it didn't matter how little she wanted to see the dragon.

* * *

Ethan felt his mind wanting to freeze as his body wanted to run. He was pretty sure that he was on a mountaintop with an angel and God Himself, after unknowingly telling God that He was both unjust and didn't care. No, it was worse; he'd called God a 'colossal asshole'. He was surprised that he wasn't being struck by a lightning bolt where he stood.

The grizzled man -- Illuminar -- laughed. It was a deep 'from-the-belly' sort of laugh that almost made Ethan want to laugh too.

"Ethan, I'm not in the habit of striking a man with lightning because he respectfully tells me his opinion, especially since I asked."

"That's good." He said tentatively, still rooted to the spot.

"Gabriella, offer our guest some tea." Illuminar instructed, then turned back to Ethan and spoke in a friendly, conversational tone. "So, you don't like the way I run the universe."

He didn't know how to answer. It felt like saying anything would be akin to blasphemy.

The grizzled man looked amused. "Ethan, I am big enough to take your opinion, and I already know what it is anyway. However, it's easier for you to have a conversation if you speak aloud. Now, speak." His voice suddenly had a ringing authority that Ethan didn't feel right ignoring.

"No, I don't like the way you -- I mean, thee? Thou? -- I mean, yeah, I don't think some of the things that you do... or maybe allow? Anyway don't think they're quite... quite right." He grimaced and waited for the lightning bolt.

Illuminar chuckled again, though Ethan didn't feel like he was being laughed at. "Join the club. Membership currently stands at nearly every sentient being who ever has lived, is living, or will live."

"Nearly?"

He nodded, and he had a mischievous grin on His face and a twinkle in His eye. "A precious few accept that -- being all-knowing -- I do actually know best." He then nodded his head towards Ethan's side and gently chided. "Don't be rude; dear Gabriella has been offering you tea for some time now. Please take it and have a seat."

"Oh, sorry." He hadn't noticed her and took the offered cup. "Thank you."

"You're welcome." She smiled.

The tea seemed to be at the perfect temperature; hot, but just shy of being too hot. He sat down on the grass, took a sip, and nearly moaned out loud. "Damn that's good." He breathed, then looked at Illuminar in alarm. "Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to say 'damn', I meant... uh..."

"You meant to say exactly what you said." Illuminar corrected. "I don't prefer coarse language, but neither do I unleash plagues for it."

"Oh good." He replied, very glad that was the case, and also that he also wasn't being struck down for his opinion that the world wasn't being run well.

"Ethan, should a toddler instruct his parents on how to run a home?" Illuminar asked.

"Of course not."

"Why not?"

"Because a toddler isn't mature enough, old enough, or wise enough." Ethan replied.

"Then perhaps consider that the knowledge and wisdom gap between you and I isfar greater than between a toddler and his parents. When you're all-knowing and all-wise, then perhaps I'll take your advice on how to run the universe." Illuminar chided gently and with a smile. It almost didn't sound like a rebuke, it was more like He was simply teaching a lesson.

"Yes sir." He averted his eyes slightly, deciding not to mention all the terrible things which were happening in the world that He could prevent, but didn't.

"Yet remember this; I will not let injustice stand." Illuminar said with a powerful conviction in His voice, seemingly answering his thoughts. "Whether in this life or the next, no injustice will go unpunished and no integrity will go unrewarded. Every righteous deedwill be rewarded and every wicked deedwill be punished. None shall escape this judgement, for I show no partiality."

Ethan grimaced, thinking of all the things he'd done that could easily put him on the wrong side of that judgement.

"Look at me Ethan." Illuminar said with a kind voice. Surprisingly, He didn't look angry but rather consoling and tender. "I require men to aim for perfection, but have near infinite grace when they try and fall short. If you aim for the bullseye and miss, you'll usually still hit the target somewhere. Not as perfectly as either of us would prefer, but you likely will."

"I try to."

"And that is what sets the righteous apart from the wicked." He replied kindly. "The righteous strive to hit the bullseye and trust my grace when they fall short; the wicked don't even try. Those who acknowledge me and practice righteousness will receive a great reward and rejoice; but those who practice unrepentant wickedness will be repaid in full for their wicked deeds."

"But what if they start trying?"

Illuminar's smile became even warmer. "I will show mercy to all who turn from their wickedness and acknowledge Me, requiring nothing else except repentance, even from the worst man who ever lived. But..." His smile turned to distaste. "...but those who practice unrepentant wickednesswill be repaid in full."

"I'm okay with that." Ethan nodded.

"Whether you are or not, that is how itwill be... so it's good you happy with it." Illuminar smiled and took a sip of His tea. "But you didn't come here to discuss how I dispense justice. Do you know why you're here?"

"Uh, the King asked me to come?"

"Try again." Illuminar shook His head calmly, as if He was a teacher in a classroom and Ethan had merely answered a question incorrectly.

"Hmm." As far as he knew, that's why he was there. What there another reason?

"Yes, there is." Illuminar said, apparently answering his thoughts.

He thought about it for several seconds before answering again. "Because you wanted me here?"

"Correct." Illuminar nodded. "Your tea is getting cold."

Ethan took a sip; it was easily the best tea he'd ever had -- no exceptions -- and he didn't usually like tea.

"You are my chosen instrument Ethan." Illuminar said. "I have decided that you will correct a situation in this world that has gone on for quite long enough; a situation you aren't even aware of yet. I've heard the prayers of those troubled by it, and have decided that you will correct it."

"Don't I get a say in this?" He replied feeling a little irked.

"Of course you do." Illuminar nodded. "I won't force you to do anything; I don't forceanyone to do anything. But given who you are, the situation you find yourself in, and who is around you; you will end up correcting this situation by your own free choice."

Ethan raised an eyebrow. "How can I make a 'free choice' to do something if you already know what I'm going to choose?"

"If you gave Alana the choice between living in a stainless steel shed or a house grown from trees like the houses in Nalatia, which would she choose?"

"The tree house of course."

Illuminar grinned mischievously as He took another sip of His tea. "How can she make a 'free choice' if you already know what she's going to choose?"

Ethan opened his mouth to reply, then closed it. "Oh."

Hmm.

"But... Hmm." Ethan frowned. "How can I make a choice if you already chose me? Isn't you choosing me overriding my ability to choose?"

"Ethan, would you prefer that your wives love you because they were forced, or because they chose to?"

"Obviously because they chose."

"I am the same." Illuminar took another sip of His tea. "It would take more time than we have to fully explain how it works, but know this: I am absolutely sovereign over everyone and everything in the universe with no exceptions. Yet in my sovereignty, I have chosen to give you free will. I could make anyone in the universe do anything I wished with less effort than you use to blink... but then their love would be meaningless. Therefore, I don't override free will. Ever."

"That makes sense and I'm glad." Ethan replied. "But doesn't that mean some people won't choose you?"

"Actually, it means thatmany people won't choose me." He acknowledged. "But a robot that's programmed to say 'I love you' means nothing compared to a child whochooses to say 'I love you'. I'm not after robots. Fortunately -- being all-knowing and all-wise -- I know how to guide events without violating anyone's free will. Trust me on that..."

He leaned for forward. "...or don't; it's your choice."

He winked.

Ethan chuckled.

"But, why choose me?" Ethan asked after a moment. He wasn't especially... well, anything. He didn't have any special qualifications, he wasn't incredibly smart; he wasn't even as good or noble as he'd like to be, and his dragon side made things worse. He really wasn't special at all.

"I didn't choose you because you are special Ethan." Illuminar replied. "I chose you because youaren't special. I chose you -- a flawed man -- to accomplish my purposes so that no one -- especially you yourself -- could say you did it by your own strength. That's how I work. I choose the weak to defeat the strong, the simple to outsmart the wise, and the lowly to humble the proud."

Illuminar leaned forward. "Do you know what that means?"

Ethan shook his head.

"It means I can use anyone." He smiled. "There are 14,728 men in the universe who I could've sent into that dragon's body instead of you. 14,728 men who could've done what you've done, and who could do what you will do. Most of them are stronger, smarter, or more noble than you are. Some of them even devotedly follow me and would recognize me here, for I am known on every world... yet I didn't choose them."

"Why?"

"Because of your free choice; because you asked." Illuminar replied kindly and with a wide smile. "You asked for a fresh start and the perfect woman for you just before your human body died. And foreseeing this, while you and Alana were both still in your mother's wombs, I knit you together to be perfect for each other. And because I knew Alana that was lonely and wanted sisters, I made six other women who would be the perfect sisters for her, and each other, and also the perfect wives for you. I madeall of you -- I carefully designed each and every single one of you -- to fit perfectly together. Each one adding another essential and crucial piece to the whole."

"Wow." Ethan breathed, suddenly realizing how incredible that was. He was having a hard time wrapping his mind around it.

"So the next time you feel like complaining about your life or wishing that I did things differently, realize that there are precisely 14,728 other men who could've been in your shoes, but aren't... and then consider showing some gratitude." It was a mild rebuke and came across as kind and gentle; it was firm, but not harsh.

"I will, thank you." Ethan nodded, still trying to process what he'd just heard.

"You're welcome." The grizzled man that was Illuminar nodded, then He took another sip of his tea.

That's when something He'd said jumped out at Ethan. "Wait, did you saysix other women? As in, seven total?"

Illuminar smiled.

* * *

Selene laid on the bed in the monastery's visitor's dormitory, staring up at the ceiling and trying to decide what her next move should be. The way she saw it, she had only two options if she wanted to get home. First, find the ruined temple which led back to Smithbond's base. That idea was extremely unappealing because it was tantamount to walking back into slavery.

Her second option was to somehow find Ethan Ejder and then somehow convince him to re-open the portal to Earth that he'd used. Without modern communications equipment, she thought that was a pipe dream at best. Plus she'd pointed a gun at him on Earth, so she wasn't sure that he'd cooperate even if she could find him.

However, an unrelated third option was to stay in the Ten Kingdoms and build a life here. She'd miss her folks terribly -- even her overbearing mother -- but that looked like the most viable option. It might be her only option if she couldn't find Ethan or the ruined temple. The question was, what kind of life could she build here? Hailey had made it sound like women had some rights here, but not many. Her investigative skills might be useful to the local constabulary, but she doubted they would accept a woman into their ranks.

She grimaced.

There was always the world's oldest profession, but she would've impaled herself on her sword before she turned to that. She didn't have any skills that might be useful in this world though. Hmm. She'd done a short stint of waitressing in college and some subtle flirting had gotten excellent tips -- her incredibly beauty did have advantages -- so maybe that was an option?

But where?

She rolled onto her side and her mind drifted to the inn where she'd stayed. Perhaps there? She wasn't fond of the owner, but she could handle him. Plus his daughter was nice. That of course made her think about Brother Kalen's warning about the girl.

How could an innocent girl like Sarah pose a threat to someone's soul?

She thought about it for a few minutes before remembering that it used to be common practice to burn 'witches' at the stake on Earth because they are 'consorting with the devil'. Plus bloodletting had once been a common practice. Maybe it was just superstition? Sarah was a bit odd, and perhaps that's what gave rise to their fears?

As she thought about it, waitressing at the inn might be her best bet for now.

She smiled wryly.

She had a master's degree in criminal justice, a lifetime of martial arts skills, had been approached by countless professional modeling agencies throughout college, and had succeeded in becoming an FBI agent. Now she was hoping to score a job as a waitress.

Life had sure taken some surprising turns.

* * *

"Seven!" Ethan felt like his eyes were going to pop out of his head as Illuminar watched him in amusement. "But I feel like I barely have time for three!"

"Are you questioning my judgement or being ungrateful?" He replied with an amused smile.

"Uh... no?"

"It will be an adjustment, but you'll grow used to it and eventually love it." He assured him. "Besides, you'll need all of them to accomplish my purposes, and to rectify the situation that I brought you here to rectify."

Ethan took a deep breath and let it out slowly. He wasn't sure how he felt about seven wives. His dragon side was roaring in jubilation and he got the distinct impression that the dragon would've wanted ten times that number; minimum. But he himself... Not so much. He loved his wives and wouldn't trade them for the world. He would also gladly add Rachel to their number, but beyond that... He couldn't think of anyone else he'd want to marry.

"That will change." Illuminar said, taking another sip of His tea.

"And, you're sure this is a good idea?" He asked. "I mean,seven wives?"

Illuminar laughed good-naturedly as he shook his head. "Mortals have such short memories."

"Guilty as charged." He admitted, remembering how they had just covered Him being all knowing. He just found it so hard to believe that Illuminar could be that good to him, especially after all the things he'd done wrong. It just didn't seem possible for Him to be so... so forgiving.

"Tell me Ethan, what was your impression of me when you first arrived on Mount Ianis?"

"I though you seemed like the kind of person who would wade through a river of piranhas to help your friends, but you would also be a fearsome foe."

He nodded. "If you acknowledge me and keep my commandments, you will be counted among my friends. Even the worst man alive -- the most depraved soul ever to walk the land -- need only acknowledge me, repent, and turn from his wickedness; then he too will become my friend."

"That sounds so easy."

"Conceptually, yes. But in practice..." He shook his head. "Don't expect an easy life. A good life? Yes. But not an easy one."

"But why?" He asked. "If you care so much for your friends, then why is life so hard?"

"Consider a forge Ethan." Illuminar replied. "Men are like a piece of steel with many impurities, and I am like a smith who must remove those impurities so the finished blade will pass the test when it's used. To remove those impurities, I heat the steel up and repeatedly hammer it and fold it, slowly exposing the impurities to the fire so they can be burned away. So it is with men. To remove the impurities -- the wickedness -- in man's heart, I must apply heat and pressure to refine him; just as a smith does to steel. You might not enjoy the process, but without it, those impurities will weaken the final blade and it will break when tested instead of springing back true. Considering the judgement that awaits those who 'break' when tested and turn to wickedness, the forge is the better path. Not easier, but better."

"Hell isn't like a forge though." Ethan replied tentatively, not sure if he was being blasphemous or not.

Illuminar's face darkened; the first time it had done so. "And have you noticed that not a single man, woman, or child on this planet even knows of the concept?"

He cocked his head to one side.

Huh.

"It was also nearly unknown for hundreds of years on Earth before it became the dominant view. However, I do not decree eternal judgements for non-eternal crimes, no matter how severe. I will punish all injustice, for it would be unjust for me not to. I will repay each man according to his deeds -- whether good or bad -- with no partiality. A man who practices wickedness in life has much to fear unless he repents before he dies, for my judgement is great and terrible towards those who practice terrible wickedness..."

Illuminar's eyes blazed and Ethan was left in no doubt that what He was saying was the absolute truth. He actually felt himself start to tremble with the sheer force of the power behind Illuminar's words. His gaze was so great and terrible that the worst man alive might be scared straight if he saw it. Somehow, Ethan guessed that everything he'd heard about fire and brimstone fell far short of the great and terrible truth...

...but.

But then Illuminar's expression softened to be among the kindest and most caring expressions he'd ever seen. There was a deep pool of love, affection, and caring behind them; like the most loving father to his most precious child. There was a warmth and comfort there that seemed too good to be true. It was the promise of a gentle embrace; one in which he didn't think it was possible to feel unloved.

Antiproton
Antiproton
2,471 Followers