A Dragon's Tale Ch. 27

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Ethan opened his mouth to respond, but it seemed that once Kendra started, she was having a hard time stopping. "I didn't know. I didn't know what you were like, how many people you've helped. I... I only had Lord Delmar's story and I didn't..." She took a deep breath. "I didn't confirm it. I just believed his story because I've always hated dragons."

She touched her necklace, which was made of dragon's teeth, and she looked like she was tearing up slightly. "I always have hated them, ever since..." She shook her head. "It's not important. I'm sorry Ethan, I'm so, so sorry. Will you... I mean, maybe not now, but one day could you... could you possibly forgive me?"

Her tone was still resolute, but her voice cracked. She shook slightly and other than an occasional glance, she still wouldn't meet his eye.

Ethan took a deep breath and let it out slowly.

He hadn't been expecting that.

Not in a million years.

He wasn't an expert in body language, but he didn't think the dragon huntress was faking it. She seemed utterly sincere and that made a world of difference. Kendra was admitting that she'd made a mistake. A grievous mistake, but a mistake. He'd certainly made enough of those since arriving in the Ten Kingdoms and other people had forgiven him. How could he not do the same for her?

Plus, she had saved Taloni's life.

"Kendra, I still don't trust you." He finally said calmly, now finding it easy to keep his tone kind. "I probably won't ever trust you, nor turn my back on you for fear of feeling a knife."

The dragon huntresses' breath hitched and she seemed to deflate even more. "I... I understand."

"But..." He continued.

She glanced up at him, a bit of hope in her eyes.

"If you really are sincere, then yes I forgive you. I won't pretend that I'm not still mad at you, and I won't pretend that everything is peachy-keen between us. But I won't hold it against you; or at least, I'll try not to. I do forgive you Kendra."

"Thank you." She said quietly.

"You're welcome." He replied, which was followed by an awkward silence which persisted for several seconds.

Clap.

Clap.

Clap.

Ethan, Taloni, Rachel, and Kendra all turned to see a very large man slowly clapping. He was surrounded by half a dozen other armed men and a woman who were following him as he walked closer. The other men paled in comparison to their leader though.

He was at least six and a half feet tall and was built like a champion body builder. His robes were regal, elegant, and looked like they cost a year's wages. Covering his chest was a stylized black dragon on a red background. His hair was short and jet black, and his eyes betrayed no trace of warmth or hint of compassion; they were as cold as death itself.

Ethan shivered when he saw him.

The first and only time he'd seen this man was at his wedding to Beth, when he'd crashed the reception. Like last time, he felt a powerful sense of dread at merely seeing him. There was something predatory about his walk and gaze. He moved with a fluidity that was both graceful and terrifying; he looked like he could pounce at any moment. It was like watching an apex predator sizing up potential prey as the man looked around at them.

Ethan felt the scales on the back of his neck stand up slightly. There was something truly and deeply wrong with this man.

"Father." Rachel breathed, both disbelief and venom in her tone.

Ethan understood her response perfectly.

It was Lord Delmar.

* * *

Selene mostly listened at the dinner table with the monks. They had all been very respectful of her, which was a nice change of pace. Only a few of them had stared at her, and not for very long. On the rare occasion that one glanced at her 'assets', he looked away quickly and remorsefully, and not because she'd caught him either. They all seemed like good men. It was unusual for her to be noticed for her beauty and yet not treated like mere eye candy.

It was nice.

The dinner room was large, but sparsely decorated. The table was long and a dozen monks were in attendance. There was easily room for double that many people though, plus another table that wasn't being used. She assumed that the additional places were for travelers because she didn't think the monastery had that many monks.

"Sister Selene, how came you to these lands?" Brother Kalen asked during a lull of conversation.

"Sister?" She raised her eyebrow.

"Are we not all children of Illuminar?" Brother Kalen replied. "Does that not make us all brothers and sisters in one sense?"

"Fair point." She conceded, though she definitely didn't believe in Illuminar. "To answer your question, I was waylaid by bandits who kidnapped me and killed my companions. They carried me off unconscious and now I'm afraid I don't know where I am."

"You are near the hamlet of Marsdale in Ivernia; Lord Farbrottan's land." One of the other monks volunteered.

"I see." Selene nodded. "Sadly those names mean very little to me."

"From where do you hail sister?" Another monk asked. "Perhaps we could send word to your husband."

"Thank you, but I'm not married." She replied with a sigh.

"Truly?" The monk sitting at the head of the table asked. "Did your father die before a man could acquire you?

"Acquire me?" She asked confused.

"Yes." He nodded as he tore off a piece of bread and began to butter it. "I imagine the bride price for a woman of your beauty would've been quite high; perhaps no one could afford it?"

Oddly, he didn't seem to be making at a pass at her with that comment on her beauty. He appeared to be making conversion by simply asking a question. Of course Selene had heard of the concept of a bride price before and utterly detested the idea. Why should a man pay money to a woman's father in order to marry her? Shouldn't that be the woman's decision?

"Where I come from, a woman choses her own husband." Selene said, trying hard to keep the annoyance out of her voice. She had to remind herself that this was a more primitive land, and thus had more primitive and distasteful customs.

"Fascinating." Brother Kalen said with genuine interest. "I've heard that women can chose their own husbands in the barbarian territories outside of the Ten Kingdoms. Do you hail from there? If so, I would love to learn of their culture." Again, he wasn't being derogatory with his comments about 'barbarian lands'; he seemed genuinely interested and curious.

"No, I'm not from the barbarian lands." She sighed.

"From up north then? I've heard that a few of the nomadic peoples up there let women chose their husbands." The head monk asked and then took a bite of his buttered bread.

Selene shook her head. "My country is called Georgia; have you heard of it?" She knew they hadn't, but figured that would help deflect.

There was a general murmur of negative responses and shaking of heads.

"Oh to live outside of Lord Farbrottan's lands." Brother Kalen said with a wistful smile and under his breath, though more loudly that he'd probably intended.

"Brother Kalen." The head monk said with a note of sharpness, then shook his head slightly at the large monk.

"I take it this Lord Farbrottan isn't the kindest of lords?" Selene pressed.

No one replied.

No one moved.

Suddenly, they all seemed slightly uncomfortable and stiff in their seats. Several of them exchanged knowing looks and a bit of a gloom descended on the previously cheerful table. It seemed like no one wanted to answer the question and many of them ducked her gaze.

"Lord Farbrottan is a... unique lord." The head monk finally replied delicately. "Some think him too strict, some think..." He paused. "...anyway, few would criticize him openly, so that says something." He finished diplomatically.

Selene suppressed a smile at their response; they might as well have all shouted 'yes' in unison.

"To where will you travel m'lady?" The head monk asked, clearly changing the topic.

"Home if I can find it." She replied. "After spending the night here, perhaps back to the outpost to see if I could work as a waitress at the inn to gain some coin."

All the monks looked appalled and shook their heads, some of them vigorously.

"I would not recommend that." The head monk said. "At least, not at that inn. There is someone there who... Well, let's just say she's not welcome in any temple of Illuminar."

"You're talking about Sarah, the innkeeper's daughter?" Selene asked.

Brother Kalen hesitated, then nodded.

"What's wrong with her? Why are you all scared of her?"

"She's--" He started to reply, but was cut off.

"Brother Kalen." The head monk said sharply. "We do not speak of such things."

"Of course, I misspoke." He nodded respectfully at the head monk, who then seemed to relax a bit.

Selene frowned.

Curious.

* * *

Ethan growled low in his throat as he stepped in front of Taloni to shield her from Lord Delmar. He bumped shoulders with Kendra, who'd just done the same thing.

"You may not trust me, but trust that I would never let anything happen to Taloni." Kendra whispered.

He nodded; he did trust her on that.

Silently, he called his weapons to his hand, knowing that they would take quite some time to arrive. Kendra had a sword and Rachel had her magic; he hoped that would be enough for now.

"Kendra the Dragon Huntress; you disappoint me." Lord Delmar said conversationally, like he wasn't surrounded by armed men and hadn't been hunting Ethan since he'd arrive months ago. "I went to much trouble to track you down and now you consort with my enemies. Lady Ekthros was especially put out."

The woman who'd been following the Lord Delmar stepped up to his side and looked at Kendra with disdain. "We shall have to come up with a truly devious punishment for you."

The woman was tall, just over six feet and looked to be in her late forties, though he guessed she looked quite young for her actual age. She was wearing a simple but elegant dress that was cut to make her look somewhat menacing. Her face had sharp, angular features and there was nary a laugh or smile line to be seen. Her auburn hair was pulled back into a ponytail, which was rare in the Ten Kingdoms.

The woman looked at the Argo's resident teen mage and nodded. "Rachel."

"Lady Ekthros." She nodded back stiffly. It didn't look like they were enemies, but they certainly weren't friends.

*Ethan, what's wrong?* Alana's voice rang out in his head.

*Yes, are you okay?* Beth added.

*Lord Delmar is here.* He replied grimly.

Instantly, his bonds with the both of them were filled with dread. He didn't blame them. Lord Delmar and a half dozen soldiers were blocking the only exit from the docking pier. They could try to escape in the airship, but they would be attacked long before he could get it free from the dock. He and Taloni could fly away to escape, but he couldn't leave Rachel behind. Oddly, he didn't feel right about leaving Kendra behind either; not after her apology and Lady Ekthros' threat.

"You have led my men on a merry chase all around the Ten Kingdoms." Lord Delmar said to Ethan. "Surrender now."

"No dice." He shook his head, willing his weapons to approach faster, not that it made a difference.

"Then we shall do this the hard way." And with that, Lord Delmar turned on his heel and started walking away, issuing a final command to the men as he left. "You know what to do."

As one, they all drew their swords and started slowly advancing.

*Alana, Beth.* He thought to all his wives. *If we don't make it out of this, wait for Taloni and then take the Argo and go directly to Gralden; to Lord Borden. He'll keep you safe.* He said, hoping that Lord Borden's dislike of him and of multiple wives wouldn't overpower his daughter's ability to get him to protect Alana, his unborn child, and Taloni.

"Ethan, don't... don't even think that.* Alana's tone was filled with dread. *We're coming to you.*

*No, there isn't time and I won't put either of you in danger.* He said. *If something happens to me, stay on the Argo, wait for Taloni, and then go directly to Gralden as soon she arrives.*

*Ethan, I...* Beth started.

*I love you; all of you.* He thought to them, then added. *Taloni, stay behind us and don't try to fight. If it looks like things are going badly, fly back to the Argo.*

*Yes master.* She said with heartbreak in her voice. He knew that she would listen to him, but he didn't even want to think about what it would do to her emotionally if he died.

"You ready for this?" He said to Rachel and the dragon huntress, who both nodded.

Kendra drew her sword.

Rachel balled up her fists and scowled. "I wish it was the middle of the day; there's precious little heat available right now."

"Then try to keep them off us with those air-ram things." Ethan replied.

"I'll try. But Ethan; Lady Ekthros is an arch mage."

"Oh Fuck." He breathed.

* * *

Rachel steeled her mind and prepared for the fight of her life. The men advancing on them were doing so cautiously and with great skill. They were obviously trained fighters -- and probably trained killers -- the likes of which Ethan hadn't fought before.

Behind them, the bigger threat loomed: Lady Ekthros.

She was one of her father's top advisors and he was rarely see without her by his side. From long experience, Rachel knew that the woman was devious and cunning as well as shrewd and crafty. The teen mage had learned a lot from Lady Ekthros, but was under no illusions that the woman would show mercy. The older woman had her hands raised, ready to use spells but wasn't doing so now. Rachel got the impression that she was being a sort of deterrent; as long as Rachel didn't use magic, she might not.

At least, she hoped.

The redhead's willpower might be a match for the arch mage, but her mana pool wasn't even in the same league.

The half dozen men were close enough now that they could skewer them with a lunge. Ethan started slowly backing away, she assumed to buy time for his weapons to arrive, as Kendra tried to cover him. It was strange to see Ethan and the dragon huntress shoulder to shoulder, united in their desire to protect Taloni, if not each other. War truly did make for strange bedfellows. She moved herself behind them both. Her magic was powerful, but she had no way to block a sword strike.

"Where are the town guards when you need them?" Ethan muttered.

"It's Lord Delmar." Kendra replied. "He will have made sure there's none in the area, and they'd just get slaughtered if they did come."

Rachel took stock.

The dock they were standing on was about twenty feet wide. Their aggressors had fanned out to make sure their quarry couldn't get past them and also to try and encircle them. Ethan and Kendra had spread out to prevent that as best they could. He wasn't armed with anything other than fang and claw yet, but she knew his weapons must be getting close. Kendra looked like a serpent ready to strike.

Without warning, the dragon huntress took a measured leap forward and lunged with her sword, aiming for the right-most man. He stepped back to avoid her thrust and aimed a counterblow at her head. She brought her arm up and his sword bounced harmlessly off her enchanted vambraces, and then her own sword removed a large portion of that man's sword arm.

One down, five to go.

Kendra leapt back to avoid two additional sword blows from his compatriots. As she did so, she made a strange flicking motion with her hand and another man went down as a knife embedded itself in his neck.

Two down, four to go.

The other men raised their blades to be more defensive, and Rachel highly doubted that either of those tricks would work again.

"You had those up your sleeve when you came onto the Argo." Ethan said accusingly.

"Sue me." She retorted.

Ethan smiled. "How about I cover you instead." He raised his hand and his spear landed in it.

Instantly they went on the attack.

Ethan thrust out with his spear, but his intended victim forced the spearpoint out of the way with a deft parry, set his sword on the shaft and began to charge toward him. Ethan yanked the spear back, reacting faster than Rachel had ever seen him do. Obviously his enchanting to improve his reflexes was helping, and it was a good thing too.

Even after reacting that fast, the other man was clearly the better fighter.

Ethan nearly lost an arm on the defense and only barely escaped with a shallow cut. In response, the dragon twisted his spear around, putting the man's sword on the outside and bringing the tip down towards his shoulder at the same time. The man leapt backwards while another man leapt forward, taking advantage of the dragon's spearpoint being out of position. Ethan pulled his spear cut, jerking it back as fast as possible to block, but he wasn't quite fast enough. He winced as the other man's sword sliced open shallow cut on his leg. The only reason he hadn't lost the leg completely was because he'd reacted incredibly quickly.

Thank Illuminar he'd been improving his reflexes.

He be dead twice now if he hadn't.

Kendra had also failed to land a blow, and her opponent narrowly danced out of reach of Kendra's blade. As one, the men retreated a few steps and then fanned out to encircle them again, forcing the defenders to spread apart to prevent themselves from being flanked.

Rachel would've loved to help with some spells, but she got the distinct feeling that Lady Ekthros might join the fight as soon as she did. The redhead was more than a match for the arch mage in willpower, but simply couldn't compete in terms of sheer mana. She'd learned her lesson well when fighting Gonorran and wasn't going to make the same mistake twice.

The men had fanned out enough that Ethan and Kendra were now almost back-to-back. Ironically, only minutes before Ethan had said he'd never trust her enough to turn his back to her. Ethan growled, and the teen mage recognized the subtle change in body language as his dragon side became more prominent.

Great; that's just what they needed.

It was becoming obvious that if she didn't do something, they would be flanked and killed. There was nothing for it but to get involved and hope that the arch mage didn't respond. Rachel raised her hand and shot a focus air-ram at the two who were on either side of her allies. They started to be thrown back, but were almost instantly stopped by a canceling air-ram from the opposite direction.

Lady Ekthros.

The other woman grinned wickedly at Rachel, as if daring her to try again. She didn't take the bait. There was literally no point in trying to outlast an arch mage because they could access almost unlimited mana directly from the Ether. Frankly, her father's advisor could probably take all of them without working up a sweat, and maybe the men attacking them too if they suddenly changed sides for some strange reason.

Why was she mostly watching?

Rachel turned her attention back to the fight and saw the combatants sizing each other up warily. There was a tense few seconds, then Rachel felt the air shift moments before an air-ram formed. She did her best to counter it, but wasn't entirely successful. Ethan and Kendra were both pushed forward towards the men, though not blasted forward as they would've been without Rachel's intervention.

That's when Rachel realized her mistake.

She had felt the first one forming, but not he second. Behind her, she felt a 'whoosh' of air. Spinning on the spot, she turned just in time to see Taloni being blasted backwards. The Fey flew through the air, impacted the mast of the airship, and fell to the deck unmoving and probably unconscious, but clearly alive and breathing.

Ethan opened his mouth to roar, but with Rachel distracted Lady Ekthros also blasted him backwards. He flapped his wings once to slow himself, but that left Kendra momentarily all alone squaring off against four men, who all attacked at once.