A Dragon's Tale Ch. 36

Story Info
Another family matter.
16.7k words
4.88
19.1k
42

Part 36 of the 57 part series

Updated 04/26/2024
Created 07/28/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Antiproton
Antiproton
2,472 Followers

Chapter 36: Another family matter

I now have an editor, so you all shouldn't need to put up with my typos and poor/dyslexic editing skills anymore. :)

* * *

Ethan picked up his new sword -- the sharp one, not the training version -- and gave it an experimental swing. It felt exactly like the training version in every respect, with no difference whatsoever. The blade looked to be a bit thinner -- which would probably make it cut better -- but the handling was exactly the same. He gave it a small toss, and then called it back to his hand. It was indeed identical.

He just hoped he wouldn't need it.

He picked up the scabbard, sheathed the sword, and attached the scabbard to his side on the hard-point he'd enchanted that matched with the straps that Alana had enchanted for that purpose.

Alana...

*Hey princess, how are you all holding up?* He thought to her.

*Pretty well.* The wood elf replied. *Rachel found a few hidey-holes while she was stalking you before you married Beth, and we're in one that's near the docks now. We should be safe and undiscovered until you land.*

*How are things looking?*

*Well, the closer it gets to noon, the more people seem to be wandering our way. I think it worked.*

*Good.* He nodded, though she obviously couldn't see him. *I know you enchanted my sword with self-repairing and summoning; did you have time for any other enchantments?*

*No, but those are the two most crucial.* She replied. *I was trying to finish the smaller bits of your armor before I enchanted your sword more, and then I was going to work on Rachel's staff, then I was going to finish.*

*Makes sense.* He reached down and grabbed the backpack that she'd created for him to hold his leather armor. The hand armor wasn't fully complete yet, but most of the rest of it was finished. The backpack was a bit odd looking, but would do. He certainly didn't want to be without his armor in the city, and especially not since learning that Lord Borden had tried to kill both him and her.

The dragon growled.

Ethan closed his eyes, took a few deep breaths, and remembered what Kendra had taught him. The meditating helped, but he knew it wasn't a long term solution. The dragon was slowly growing stronger. The meditation helped him keep a lid on it, but the pressure was slowly building in the background. He didn't want to think about what would happen when it broke free.

He shook his head and turned his mind back to the task at hand.

"Dominus, Anthiel says that we're going to begin our descent in a few minutes." Beth said as she approached him.

"Thanks angel." He nodded. "Are you okay?"

"I don't know." She gave him a pained half-smile that didn't reach her eyes. "I kind of don't want to see my father right now. Does that make me a bad person?"

"No." He shook his head. "You didn't do anything wrong, and it's hard when someone you love does. Frankly, I don't blame you for wanting to stay away right now; that was some pretty heavy stuff we all learned yesterday."

The half-smile disappeared from her face. "I wanted the first time we came back here to be a happy affair, you know?"

"Yeah, going home should be a happy event."

She gave him a tiny smile. "I'm already home, I'm just visiting my parents' home."

"You know, I'm really glad I married you angel." He smiled. "I know it was an arranged marriage and we had a somewhat rocky start, but I wouldn't change it for the world."

"Me either." She leaned her on his shoulder. "You literally crossed worlds to bring me back, and I'll never forget that. Marrying you was the best thing that ever happened to me."

The way she finished her sentence made him think that there was more though. "...but?"

"Not a 'but'." She shook her head slightly. "I just wish that my parents... well, my father was more accepting."

She swallowed hard and wrapped her arms tightly around his arm. He leaned his head down and kissed the top of her head, wishing he could do something to comfort her. He really couldn't think of anything, so he just held her.

* * *

Beth leaned over the railing of the Argo as it lowered the last dozen feet into the docking berth. She could see a decent sized crowd had gathered at the docks and they were all looking up at the Argo with curiosity. Several had waved to her, and she'd waved back. She'd even smiled, though it wasn't a truly genuine smile.

Her father wasn't there.

He'd sent Heinrich, but he himself wasn't there.

She didn't know what to make of that.

As the Argo's descent stopped, Serif and Raklan dropped the gangplank into place and Beth took a deep breath and put a cheerful smile on her face. She really didn't want to disappoint the crowds. Besides, it was nice to be back in Gralden. It was her hometown after all.

Ethan -- with his disguise gem off -- offered her his arm and they strode down the gangplank and onto the dock.

The slots into which the airships berthed were at ground level to make loading the airships easier. There was a fence around the berth so nothing fell into the hole, but otherwise the docks were mostly flat. Or at least, as flat as the sloping ground of Gralden would allow. There were dozens of townsfolk who had clustered around the Argo's berth, all craning their necks to get a good look at the new arrivals.

About a dozen Bank guards were clustered around Heinrich, not far from the end of the gangplank. The guards were glancing at the crowd, then at the Argo, then at Heinrich as if they weren't sure what to do. The blonde found herself wondering how this would be going if they hadn't arranged for a crowd to be here. She wasn't sure, but she got the impression that it wouldn't be going nearly this well, even with Heinrich there.

He was in his mid-twenties, although he was sporting a full beard. A sword was fastened at his side and he wore chainmail from head to toe, partially concealed by a surcoat which carried the emblem of a gold coin. He was also over a foot taller than she was at 6' 4" and -- even taking into account the extra bulk added by the chainmail -- it looked like he could wrestle an ox and win. Despite that though, he looked a little surly.

"Hermy." She grinned, using her childhood nickname for him.

The corners of his mouth twitched up slightly, though oddly he looked more annoyed too. She walked up to give him a hug, which he accepted stiffly.

"What's wrong?" She asked pulling back.

"Are you okay?" He whispered quietly enough that no one else could hear.

She smiled, though it was a slightly pained smile. "Ethan is wonderful, my father on the other hand..." She let the smile fade.

Heinrich raised an eyebrow.

"Did you know?" She asked, suddenly realizing that as her father's right-hand man, he likely did.

"Know what?"

"That my father tried to kill Ethan and Alana?"

Heinrich gave her a long look, then turned his gaze to Ethan. "Lord Borden requests your presence at the manor house."

Judging by his tone, it wasn't a request.

"You didn't answer my question." Beth repeated, feeling her heart start to sink.

"If you have a problem with your father, you need to take it up with him." Heinrich replied.

*That's not an unreasonable point angel.* Ethan pointed out telepathically. *Maybe he just doesn't want to interfere?*

*Maybe.* Her face fell and she took a step back from her childhood friend as she tried hard to believe the best of him.

He wasn't making it easy.

"Welcome back Lady Beth!" Someone from the crowd shouted.

The guards moved so she could see the crowd. Given the new position that they'd taken, they seemed far more interested in protecting her from Ethan than from the crowd. However, they hadn't been foolish enough to come between the dragon and her.

"Hello!" She called back, feeling a bit more cheerful at the crowd. She'd always felt better when she could interact with the people of Gralden. "It's so good to be back and to see all of your faces. But, I know you're also here to see someone else; my husband, the prophet of Illuminar!"

She turned and beckoned him over.

He looked a bit taken aback by her exuberant introduction, but came forward nevertheless.

"I realize I haven't been married that long, only two months, but he's been the best husband that a woman could ever ask for." She said to the crowd, then turned and put all her feeling into a kiss to her amazing husband.

The way he returned the kiss took her breath away. She felt herself bent back and swept into his arms. He even used a bit of tongue. If this had been any other time, she would've wanted to drag him into the captain's cabin.

"Wow." She breathed when he broke the kiss.

He looked at her pointedly. "Yeah."

That's when Beth became aware of the crowd again, who were whooping and cat-calling.

She blushed.

Ethan pulled her upright again and she faced the crowd with an embarrassed smile. "He does that."

They all laughed, then one of them shouted. "But didn't you marry a human man?"

She glanced at him, and he nodded, then turned his disguise gem on. The crowd gasped, then after a moment they seemed to recognize his human form, and he clicked the gem off again.

"I was indeed the one who rescued Beth." Ethan said. "And thus I had the incredible honor and great privilege of marrying her and calling her my wife." He looked at her fondly before turning back to the crowd. "Lord Borden knew that I'm a dragon, and honored his contract bounty by allowing me the honor of her hand in marriage."

There was a general murmur of assent and nodding of heads.

*At least the people don't seem to have a problem with you.* Beth thought directly to him. *Though, I wonder--*

"What about your other wives?" Someone else called. "Doesn't Lord Borden hate that?"

Beth glanced at him.

He glanced at her before thinking to her. *It'll probably go over better if you answer this, just don't give too much away.*

Beth got a mischievous grin on her face as she replied. "Well, it's fortunate he isn't married to Ethan then."

The crowd laughed.

"Seriously though, I know my father's position on multiple wives in general, but I have literally never been happier in my life." She leaned up against Ethan, and she felt him put his arm around her.

Nearby, she heard Heinrich let out a sound halfway between a growl and a sigh, and he did it with a scowl on his face. She gave him a smile, which he looked like he wanted to return, but didn't. Instead, he nodded his head towards her father's mansion.

"We need to be going." She called to the crowd. "I haven't seen my family in two months! Thank all you wonderful people for coming out to meet us; I missed you all so much!"

The crowd burst into applause.

Ethan offered his arm when it had died down, she took it, and they followed Heinrich toward Lord Borden's mansion.

*That went well.* She thought to him, a bit of her foul mood lifting.

*It did.* He nodded, then thought to everyone. *Ladies, it just occurred to me that Lord Borden probably doesn't know that we can communicate telepathically. For now, I'd like to keep it that way.*

*Yes sir.*

*Yes Dominus.*

*Yes master.*

*Yes my lord.*

There was a slight pauses, then Kendra added. *Good idea.*

Beth chuckled.

"What?" Heinrich asked, clearly not in a joking mood.

"I just thought of something, that's all." She replied aloud while resisting the temptation to give Ethan a knowing look concerning what Kendra had just said. The impulse vanished as they approached her father's mansion. It had always seemed so welcoming growing up, but now...

She shook her head.

The building was the largest house in town by a significant margin. It was mostly a light grey color with black trim and gold gilding in various tasteful places. The large double door was ornate, but just shy of ostentatious; pretentious maybe, but not quite ostentatious. It had three stories, and she had so many memories of running through its halls as a little girl, so many meals with her family, and so many wonderful times with her father...

...who might've tried to murder her husband.

She looked at the ground and bit her lip. This wasn't the homecoming that she wanted.

* * *

Ethan took a deep breath as he and Beth walked up to the door of Lord Borden's mansion. Next to him, Beth had fallen silent, and it was a more meaningful silence than simply not talking for want of a subject. He looked at their bond, and wished he could do something to cheer her up. Sadly, the upcoming meeting wasn't likely to improve his youngest wife's mood, or his either for that matter.

The mansion's door opened and the steward stood in the way, blocking the entrance with his body. He was an older fellow with graying hair, but looked quite sharp and he was impeccably dressed in clothes that vaguely reminded Ethan of a regency era steward.

"I'm sorry sir, but I'm afraid you'll need to surrender your sword before entering the mansion." The steward said.

Beth stiffened slightly beside him.

Ethan gave the man a long look. "Why?"

"No one but the guards are allowed to be armed in the Lord's residence."

"Gerald, is that a new rule?" The blonde beside him asked. "My father has allowed many people to be armed inside before."

"He has Lady Beth, but regardless, that is the rule now."

"For everyone, or just for me?" Ethan asked, feeling like something was off.

"The rule applies to you, whether it applies to others is not your concern." The steward -- Gerald -- replied with nearly no emotion; certainly not enough for Ethan to get a read on.

He stared at the other man for several long seconds, in his mind running through what had happened the other times he'd been in a city without a weapon. Beth's death and being captured by Lord Delmar stood out, and there was no way that he'd chance anything like that happening again.

"No dice." He shook his head.

"I beg your pardon sir?" The steward said.

"I said no. If he wants to see me, he'll do it while I'm wearing my sword." He looked at the steward significantly, guessing that the man probably had been told about the vault incident, or had figured it out. He didn't look like the type to be uninformed.

"That could cause... problems, but perhaps we could reschedule at some other venue." Gerald replied, then turned to Beth. "Do please come along; your father is anxious to see you."

Ethan glanced at his youngest wife, surprised to see steel in her eyes.

"No Gerald, I'm not leaving my husband." She shook her head. "If my father wants to see me, he can seeus together."

There was an awkward silence after this pronouncement.

Avery awkward silence.

Out of the corner of his eye, Ethan noticed that Heinrich's jaw dropped slightly. Even the unflappable Gerald looked slightly surprised. He found himself wondering if Beth had ever turned her father down before getting married.

"I will relay this to your father." Gerald finally said before disappearing inside.

Ethan and Beth exchanged a look.

*My father probably knew you wouldn't want to be without your weapons.* The blonde thought to him.

*And therefore planned to separate us.* He replied without reacting physically.

*I don't like this.* She frowned. *I don't think he would do anything, but I'm sure he'd try to convince me that you're a bad husband or something.*

*You know, I did get you killed and then remarried just days later.* He pointed out.

*Yes, and you're still the best husband I could ever ask for.*

*Even with my dragon outbursts?*

*Even with.*

He looked at her and smiled. "I love you angel."

*And I love you Dominus.*

They waited in comfortable silence for several minutes before Gerald reappeared. "Lord Borden will meet you in the gardens; Heinrich will accompany you." The steward then nodded to Heinrich.

The larger man nodded, then turned and started walking around the house. Ethan and Beth exchanged a look, and then started following him.

* * *

Selene paced the weather deck of the Argo really not sure what to do. As usual, she found herself on the outside of what was happening and not able to help at all. She clenched and unclenched her fist a few times, trying to work out the tension but that wasn't really helping. She kept looking towards where Ethan and Beth had disappeared to, but she didn't figure they'd be back for a while.

The only thing she could think to do was to stow her Glock and its precious 6 rounds in the leather pouch around her waist, in case something happened. She really didn't think it would help, but she had a philosophy about such things: it was better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Speaking of needing things, she made another half-hearted attempted to find her mana. It was frustrating that she couldn't despite both Rachel and Kendra having tried to help. She half-hoped that she'd have an encounter with some powerful magic before she did figure it out, assuming that Kendra's mentor had been right about such an occurrence cementing an affinity in the area of magic that had been used against her. However, that was rather unlikely in Gralden, and she sure as hell wasn't going to wait for it.

So instead, she paced across the deck as she'd been doing for some time now, wishing that she could be helpful in some way.

"You know, you're going to wear through the decking." Anthiel's musical voice observed from the quarterdeck, and she hadn't even looked up.

"Yeah well, at least I'd be doing something." She replied. "You're sure there's nothing I can do to help?"

"Dear, I'm not sure even Beth can help the situation with her father." The high elf replied.

"Fair." The caramel-haired beauty nodded.

She looked around the ship, thinking about the two weeks that she'd spent on it. Oddly enough, it had begun to feel very comfortable to her, and she wanted to dosomething to help the people who had so kindly taken her in.

"I just hate feeling like a bump on a log." She finally said as she climbed the stairs to the quarterdeck.

"Often the hardest thing to do in life is wait." Anthiel replied as she continued to write in what the Brazilian woman guessed was the ship's log. "Sadly, it's often one of the most necessary things."

The sound of motion from the gangplank drew her attention.

Half a dozen Bank guards had stopped at the gangplank and about a dozen men who looked like dockworkers were boarding the Argo.

"Up here gentlemen." Anthiel called. The dockworkers came up to the quarterdeck, and many of them were staring open-mouthed at the Brazilian beauty.

She sighed.

Men.

"Lord Borden says we need to strip the ship and search it." One of them volunteered.

"I'm sure he did." She mused as she continued to write. "But did he fail to tell you that many of the items on this ship are the personal property of its crew, and thus can't be removed without giving them notice to remove their belongings?"

The dockworkers looked around uncomfortable at each other.

"The gangplank is that way." The high elf pointed, still without looking up and still writing.

"Um, I'm afraid we can't leave without carrying out our orders ma'am." The same man replied.

"I figured you'd say that." Anthiel said, and then she finished whatever she was writing with a flourish of her quill pen. "Here are new orders, signed by me." She held out the paper. "I'm countermanding all previous orders you've received regarding the cargo of this airship, pursuant to the Emperor's edict regarding the reclamation of property on an airship."

"Uh, ma'am, I'm not sure..." He looked at the paper, then handed it someone else, who began to read in a slow, halting way; as if reading wasn't something he did often or was very practiced at.

+ + +

"I, Captain Anthiel Amarina Kiarien, called 'Cloud Song', as captain of the airship known as the Argo, under the Emperor's edict number four hundred and twenty seven pertaining to the reclamation of disputed property on an airship, do hereby officially declare that the personal effects and cargos of this airship are of ambiguous ownership, and unless the crew of said airship shall return to claim their personal items, nothing may be removed from this airship. Therefore, any man, woman, or creature who removes cargos or personal items from this airship may thus be charged with theft, punishable by prison or up to the loss of a hand."

Antiproton
Antiproton
2,472 Followers