A Dragon's Tale Ch. 41

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"He wants to send an airship with Luminar Kossel and--" The redhead's eyes went wide. "--and they're bringing Gonorran's portal..." Her eyes went wider still as her mouth fell open. "...which apparently Elder Goman had excavated after we left it behind."

"Wait, he's bringing the whole portal?" Ethan said. "That thing is huge; almost the width of the Argo's deck."

"The portal is fourteen feet wide, and the Argo is sixteen, so yeah." The redhead nodded. "Technically he's sending it with Luminar Kossel though."

"What for?" Ethan asked.

"Apparently, it's so all the men and equipment that Smithbond left behind can be sent back to Earth after we're successful."

"Well he's optimistic." Selene said.

"Did he say anything about your father being a dragon?" Ethan asked.

The teen mage nodded as she scanned the letter. "He said it makes sense, and that it explains a few things." She seemed oddly impassive about that, but he didn't need to feel her emotions over their bond to tell she was putting on a brave face. It was a good one, but not enough to fool him.

*Hey, I'm always here if you want to talk.* He thought to her.

She gave him a pained smile and nodded, but didn't respond.

"What else does it say?" Beth asked.

"He wants to know a good rendezvous point where we can meet the airship he wants to send, preferably near the portal that Smithbond is using."

"Sarah's inn." Ethan suggested instantly before he'd even thought about it. "It's only about ten miles from the portal, and he could stay at the inn too."

His wives and Selene all looked at him, identical amused and knowing expressions on their faces.

"What?" He asked, feeling slightly hot under the proverbial collar.

"We didn't say anything." The wood elf replied with a barely restrained smile.

"Yeah well, you were 'not saying it' very loudly." He replied.

"I'd like to meet at Sarah's inn." Selene finally said, sparing him from an awkward silence. "I'd love to see her again before I leave, since I might not be coming back if all goes well."

"We'll need to send him the coordinates." Rachel said, still perusing the letter.

"Can you take care of that?" He asked Taloni.

"Yes master." She nodded.

"I'll write it up and send it to him." Rachel said. Her expression would've looked normal to almost anyone, but Ethan wasn't just anyone.

The rest of the letter's contents weren't nearly as interesting, and he was a bit distracted by his fourth wife anyway. She had an amazing poker face and he probably wouldn't be able to tell if he didn't know her so well. Plus, the redhead would glance away from the letter and at Alana at regular intervals, then either bite her lip slightly or draw her mouth into a thin line.

As Ethan considered that, he realized that although he couldn't help her with her father issues right now, he might be able to help her with something else that was clearly on her mind.

*Alana, meet me in the captain's cabin in a few minutes.* He thought to her.

"Rachel, follow me." He said to the redhead.

The teen mage gave him a quizzical look, but nodded, handed the letter to Beth, and then followed him into the captain's cabin.

* * *

Rachel found the strangest things about Ethan attractive. Like the moment before, he had simply told her to follow him. It wasn't a command or order, and yet it was more than a suggestion. She probably could've said that she didn't want to, and he would've been fine with that. Oddly, that was exactly the reason she wanted to follow him. He was in charge and commanding, but not overbearing. He issued orders, but never without cause or to throw his weight around.

She liked that.

She liked it a lot actually.

He sat down on the bed facing her with his legs hanging off and patted his lap. "Come here beautiful."

She felt a smile creeping onto her face and she walked over and sat down on his lap; not straddling him, but instead sitting across his lap and leaning on him. He wrapped his arms around her and looked into her eyes, a contented grin on his face.

"What?" She asked.

"Just looking." He smiled. "You know, my nickname for you is very accurate."

She smiled at his praise, and her cheeks got just a bit warmer too. "Did you want to talk about something?"

"Two things actually. First, how are you doing with the news about your father?"

She took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "Honestly, I don't know."

"Oh?"

She nodded. "It's not that I'm a dragon's daughter. I mean, I'm married to a dragon so any kids we have will have a dragon father, and Alana's baby--" She smiled. "--I mean, Ruth, already has a dragon father, so that doesn't bother me."

"What does?"

She looked at him as her face fell. "I feel like my whole childhood was a lie."

"Ah." He nodded and gave her a gentle, comforting squeeze.

She gave him a pained smile and relaxed into him more, then told him much of what she'd told Alana on the same topic. He listened patiently and sympathetically, only interrupting to ask for clarification but otherwise letting her talk.

"I just can't help but think: What else in my childhood was a lie?" She said when she had finished.

He nodded slowly. "Yeah, that makes sense. I wish I could tell you that nothing else was, but I can't."

"I know." She cocked her head to one side. "It makes me wonder about my mother too; did she know?"

"Hmm, that's a good question." Ethan made a thoughtful frown. "She must have known, I don't see how she couldnot know. I mean, dragons are a bit different in the bedroom; different enough to make any woman ask questions."

"True." The redhead sighed. "Sadly, I'll never be able to ask her." She swallowed hard, and in response he gave her another gentle, comforting squeeze.

"Maybe you can ask your father about it on day. You know, when he's not trying to kill all of us."

"Maybe." She nodded, but felt her heart sink anyway. "He disowned me though, his own daughter, and I don't..." Her voice faltered as it started to crack slightly.

"If it helps, remember that Lady Ekthros said that your father refused to allow his men to kill you."

She gave him a pained smile. "I don't know if that helps or hurts."

"Fair." He nodded.

"I'll be okay." She said, wiping her eyes which had become slightly watery. "I really will be, but I think it'll take time. It's all pretty fresh."

"Take as much time as you need, just remember that I'm always here if you want to talk." He grinned as he added. "And I'm sure Alana is too."

Rachel did her very best not blush at that.

"Speaking of, she should be here soon. There's something I wanted to discuss with the both of you."

"Oh?" She asked, feeling her stomach start to knot up. What if he suspected that she might be attracted to Alana? She knew how the dragon would react to her being interested in another man, but what about another woman? What about one of his other wives?

For that matter, was she attracted to Alana? She thought she might be, wasn't entirely sure. She knew she was attracted to her as a friend, but that's very different than being attracted to her romantically.

Was she?

What did that mean if she was?

Was she the kind of woman who was attracted to other women? Was that even okay? Would Illuminar disapprove? Would Ethan? She couldn't help how she felt -- if that's really how she felt -- so what if it wasn't okay? What would she do then?

Ethan chuckling brought her out of her reverie.

"What?" She asked, her eyes going a bit wide.

"You're brain works a mile-a-minute; it's amusing to see." He grinned.

She was trying to come up with a response when the door to the captain's cabin opened and the most beautiful wood elf in the whole of the Ten Kingdoms walked in. Her chocolate brown hair cascaded over her shoulders and down to the curve of her shapely breasts, and moved with her as she turned to close the door. Her rich hazel eyes were reflecting the smile on her face as she looked at the two of them.

Rachel sighed before she caught herself.

Ethan grinned at her, and she blushed.

"You wanted to see me?" Alana asked, looking between them with a slightly confused expression.

"Yeah, I wanted to talk to you and Rachel about something." He replied.

It might've been Rachel's imagination, but it seemed like Alana got just a hair stiffer at that. Did her cheeks get a bit redder too?

"About what?" The brunette asked tentatively.

"Well, it's about..." Ethan started to say, but then paused and cocked his head to one side. He hesitated a moment and then got a strange sort of smile on his face, like an idea had just occurred to him. "It's about Beth and Taloni." He finished, but Rachel got the impression that hadn't been the original ending of that sentence.

"Oh?" Rachel asked. "What about them?"

"Well, something might've happened between them and I wanted to address it, but I wanted to do so in a delicate way because I think it might cause problems if I do it directly."

"Problems?" Alana asked, walking over to sit beside Ethan on the side which was opposite Rachel so they could all see each other.

"Yeah." He nodded. "It's possible that one of the blondes might've kissed the other recently."

Rachel froze.

Alana suddenly looked a little stiffer than before.

"I'm just trying to decide how to handle that." He continued.

"You aren't... aren't mad at them; are you?" Rachel bit her lip.

"Oh no. Not at all." He shook his head with a smile, and the redhead released the breath she hadn't realized she'd been holding.

"In fact, do you remember walking in on them almost kissing while they were snuggling with me?" Ethan asked her.

She frowned, trying to remember.

"It was about a month ago, after the incident with Kyrupto; the day we told Kendra our story." He prompted. "They were curious what it would be like, and they were just about to try it when you and Alana walked in."

"Oh. Huh." Rachel did remember. Vaguely, but she did. Huh. If she remembered correctly, he'd even told Beth and Taloni that they'd done 'nothing wrong'. Plus, the other wives often kissed each other while they were in bed together. And if he didn't mind that, then he probably wouldn't mind that she and Alana had...

...right?

"But, they were with you at the time." Rachel pointed out. "But what if w-- I mean, what ifthey kissed without you present? Maybe they're worried that would change things?"

"Why would it?" He asked conversationally.

"Well, uh... I mean, you weren't there so..." She looked down, unable to finish the sentence.

"Sir, I think Rachel means that... that Beth and Taloni might be worried you'd disapprove of them kissing if you weren't around."

"Exactly." Rachel nodded, though she still didn't quite meet his eye.

"I don't care if they do it around me, so why would I care if they kissed when I'm not around?" He countered.

"Um, maybe because... because... um..." Rachel bit her lip, and Alana seemed to be almost holding her breath waiting for the response.

Rachel looked at their husband, trying to discern what he was doing. She could see concern in his face and eyes, but also a bit of amusement. She couldn't detect even the faintest trace of anger or displeasure though -- either on his face or through their bond -- which put her heart at ease a bit.

"Because... what?" He prompted gently.

"You... wouldn't think they were, I don't know, um... replacing you?"

He raised his eyebrow.

"I mean, I know how you'd react if they kissed another man, so--" She stopped short as a low growl escaped his throat, though it seemed more reflexive than anything else.

His expression and voice softened moments later though. "Fortunately, neither Beth nor Taloni are men. Trust me, I checked very thoroughly."

He winked.

The ladies both chuckled nervously, but it was short lived.

"Look." He continued. "Call me sexist if you want, but while I'd rip apart any man who touched you--" Another low growl escaped his throat. "--I really don't mind if two of my wives get more..." He paused, either because he was searching for words or for dramatic effect; she wasn't sure which.

"More...?" Alana prompted.

He grinned. "...more 'intimate' with one another."

The twinkle in his eye drove the point home. Even if it hadn't, the emotions coming over their bond would have made the point clear.

"You really don't mind?" Rachel asked.

He shook his head. "Not at all. In fact, there are very few sights in this world more attractive than seeing two beautiful women who love each other kissing." He said, then added. "Especially if they both love you too."

Rachel slowly nodded her head, trying to process this.

He really didn't mind?

Truly?

She felt a small smile start to grow on her face, and it grew wider as she remembered that incredible kiss with her best friend. Alana's lips had been so soft, tender, and she tasted like... like... it was hard to describe; 'wonderful' was a good start, but that didn't seem strong enough.

Her smile faltered as something occurred to her. "So, you don't think that w-- I mean, that Beth and Taloni would be... I don't know, um... you don't think they would be... uh, competing with you for the other girl's affections?"

"No." He shook his head with a shrug. "Again, I couldn't stand it if it was another man. But among my wives..." He grinned. "As long as they still love me, I don't care if they're attracted to each other."

"Really?" The redhead searched his eyes, finding no trace of the revulsion or disgust that she had expected him to have at the idea.

"Really, really." He said in a strange accent, which she thought was connected to something called 'Shrek' based on what he'd once said.

"Oh." She hesitated.

Hmm.

That was... Hmm.

"You really don't mind?" Rachel asked again, just to be sure.

"Not one bit." He said, and then gave the redhead who was still sitting on his lap a comforting squeeze. "In fact, can I let you ladies in on a little secret?"

"Yes sir." Alana said with bated breath.

"Please my lord." She added, feeling equally expectant.

"I think it might be kind of neat if two of my wives found themselves attracted to each other." He said. "Romantically I mean; that could be pretty cool."

Rachel's jaw dropped.

Alana's followed suit moments later.

"I... you..." Rachel could barely form words. "...really?"

"Are you serious sir?"

He nodded to both of them. "Let me put it this way; Alana, were you happy when I married Rachel?"

The wood elf smiled despite the shock still on her face. "I was sir; so, so much. It was so great to see two people who I love so much fall for each oth--" Her eyes got slightly wider and her mouth formed a perfect 'O' shape. "Oh. Oh, that makes..." She smiled. "I get it."

Rachel could imagine how she would've felt if she had married Ethan before Alana had, and then he had married the wood elf later.

She would've been ecstatic.

Could he really feel that way about her and Alana? Well, maybe about Beth and Taloni... Her eyes went wide and her mouth opened as she realized that he might not be talking about his two youngest wives. The blonde and the honey-blonde were wonderful and clearly enjoyed each other's company, they even liked 'playing' with each other in bed with Ethan, but she didn't think they were attracted to each other like that.

"We..." Her breath hitched and she found herself unable to finish the sentence.

"Go ahead." Alana encouraged as she took one of the redhead's hands.

"Yes, please do." Ethan grinned.

"We're..." She took a deep breath and let it out slowly, trying to calm her racing heart. "We're not really talking about Beth and Taloni; are we?"

He grinned at her and spoke with a note of pride in his voice. "My wise redhead."

She felt herself sitting up straighter as a warm feeling spread through her chest and her cheeks got slightly warm.

"Now, I need to get back to sparring." He said abruptly, nudging her off his lap.

She hopped down mutely, her brain still having trouble latching onto a single thought with all the ones that were flying around in her brain. He hadn't been talking about Beth and Taloni? But then, could he mean her and Alana? She thought so, but he had recently married Kendra too. That didn't seem likely though. Kendra really didn't have much of a relationship with Beth yet, and the dragon huntress's relationship with the Fey girl was more 'older-sister, younger-sister' than anything else. Shehighly doubted that Kendra had ever kissed either of the blondes.

But that would mean...

Did he know about...?

Could he have meant...?

"Feel free to hang out in here if you want to. The bed is even free." He winked at the two of them before kissing them both and slipping out the door, closing it behind him.

* * *

Sarah didn't feel like her day could get any worse, but the excited glimmer in the old woman's eyes was making her reconsider that feeling. Thankfully the look wasn't malevolent, which was good since she was holding a knife. A very small knife with a blade barely over an inch long, but still.

"What are you doing?" She asked, straining futilely against the iron manacles that secured her hands and feet to one of the bed-like boards in the old woman's lab.

"Research." The old woman said as she leaned over her, but she didn't look like she was going to cut her... yet. "I need a tissue sample, so I'm going to do a biopsy."

"Biopsy?"

The old woman sighed. "Yes, I'm going to take a tiny sliver of your muscle tissue so I can figure out what makes it tick."

"It's the--"

"Demon." The old woman interrupted and rolled her eyes. "Yes, I know you think that, but it must've made your muscles strongersomehow, and I aim to find out how."

"Will it hurt?" The innkeeper's daughter grimaced.

"Well getting cut usually does, but not too much. I have some opium for the pain, but you'll need these first." The old woman replied. She set the knife down and then pulled out two thick leather cuffs.

"What are those for?"

"You'll see in a moment." The old woman wrapped the one around her right arm and buckled it.

All of a sudden, Sarah found it hard to move. Her limbs would barely obey her. Then the old woman attached the other cuff and suddenly she couldn't move.

Not at all.

She couldn't even close her eyes, though curiously she could still blink. She couldn't do it voluntarily, but she could.

"Paralysis cuffs." The old woman said as she poured something that smelled alcoholic onto a small strip of healer's gauze. "It prevents all voluntary nerve impulses, but allows the involuntary ones, otherwise you'd die because your heart would stop beating."

Sarah struggled to reply, but had to strain just to move her eyes.

"They'll keep you still while I get the tissue sample; I wouldn't want to hurt you more than I need to." The old woman said almost absentmindedly, like she was talking to herself as much as the innkeeper's daughter. "That's why I brought the opium. Let me just get everything ready and then I'll give you some so it doesn't hurt."

She rolled up Sarah's sleeve and slipped a cloth under the bicep of her right arm. Then she swabbed her bicep with the alcohol-laden bit of healer's gauze. Next she dipped the knife in alcohol for several seconds, then flicked the alcohol off and wiped it down on the healer's gauze. Then -- apparently forgetting the opium -- she grabbed the knife and started cutting deeply, but also carefully and precisely into the girl's arm.

Sarah would've screamed and jerked for all she was worth if she could have moved.

She couldn't.

The old woman made one long-ish, deep incision with meticulous precision, but it hurt like Saidow's lair as she tried to move for all she was worth... but couldn't because of the cuffs.

123456...8