A Dream of Empire Ch. 022

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Twenty-six oaken tables bearing the most exquisite decor were laid out in the great hall, and would soon be filled by three-hundred-and-twenty-eight of Solais' nobility. Each guest would have a five-course meal and as much wine as they could stomach. Almost five-dozen solar banners of purple, black, gold and white were laid out, and a peaceful, melodic tune played in the background, chilling the mood for suppertime. I sought out Castellan Bernard first, and thanked him profusely for his assistance in the day-of preparations.

I had to say, it was truly a spectacle to behold, and I felt a great pride in seeing my well-laid plans come to fruition. The only shame of it was that I would never recognized for any of this; this ball was the King's offering to the gods, and I was merely his servant.

I split off from Talos and Tanya come the first course, bidding them farewell 'til later in the night. It was an unfortunate casualty of the seating arrangements really, as I, the King's Sorceress, was required to sit with Alfred at the High Table, along with the Council and the Queen. Furthermore, I'd been sure to seat Talos as far away from the King as possible, lest the two actually meet tonight and feud.

My table-mates were great though, and I appreciated each and every one of them for different reasons. Solomon, as he was prone to do, made dry jests throughout the meal to brighten my mood, and even made an effort to compliment me for a job well-done. I put more than a few smiles on the faces of both Marshal Eriksson and his wife - the most adorable elderly couple I'd ever seen - and the Countess Rosalinda of Loduntun ended up being just as unbearable as Solomon, making her quite the fantastic table-mate. I couldn't believe how compatible she and Solomon were when they conversed alone, confirming that Talos was truly a gifted match-maker when he had to be.

The only flaw to the whole of supper came whenever I spoke with Queen Jacqueline, sitting two seats to my right at one head of the table. She'd, apparently, been the one who planned functions before my arrival in Solais, a fact that no one had told me until just then. She never said it aloud, but I read on her mind that she loathed that I usurped her duties, and that she also held a neurotic fear that I was planning on usurping her man as well. Ha! If only she knew.

Plates of greens, meats, cheeses, and two courses of dessert - which was my fantastic idea - came and went over the next two hours. And, to my utmost pleasure, satisfaction was the primary sensation that I felt as I roamed the room with my third eye.

I'd done it. I'd planned a dinner for hundreds, and it had turned out a success. A great wash of relief flooded through me as the tables were moved to the outskirts of the hall and stacked with all manner of refreshment, making way for a large dance floor at the center. The music then livened, and the great migration of socialization occurred; folk either congregated to the fringe, to the floor, or to elsewhere in the Castle if they desired quiet. It mattered not where they went, really; I'd stacked the Castle grounds with all manner of diversion for the night, from sorceresses to belly dancers to bards and troubadours.

Now came the hard part. I had to greet everyone.

I strut off to meet the chief executives of the corporations first, knowing they'd appreciate the gesture. I reminded myself to keep my hands clasped at my waist as I spoke, and I remembered to bow with every departure. I ensured I complimented each of their wives, exclaiming, "Lady So-and-So, I love your dress!" more than a couple of times.

Smiling came naturally. It was a gift granted to me young, praise the gods. Learning to see through everyone's nice gestures was another granted soon after. Charming my way out of every two-minute conversation? That was my contribution to socializing. It made things simple. It hastened the night.

The Counts and Lords of Solais came next. I hadn't met most of them, but I knew undeniably that I wouldn't be soon forgotten. I learned quick that, in practice, curtseying in a dress such as mine was a far more delicate task than I'd anticipated. A slight bend. I couldn't do more, lest I was exposed.

The Unioners came after. They rarely if ever receive attention from the King's men, so I decided to at least make an appearance. I shook hands through conversation after conversation, reading the juicy compliments in their eyes but already beginning to regret my choice of attire for the eve.

It's not that I was self-conscious or intimidated or the like. I just wasn't in the right mood for compliments, is all. I needed to find Talos first. So, about two hours after I'd started my rounds, I shut my eyes and dreamt of him, and discovered that he was on the dance floor with Tanya. They were... pretty good. Both nobles by birth, I supposed. I made my way through the crowd towards them.

As I neared them, and watched on their dance from an outsider's perspective, I realized that they weren't just pretty good - they were brilliant. And it made sense that Talos was, I guess. After all, he'd courted all manner of woman and elf for many a year before I stole him away from that life. I pondered whether or not I should interrupt them. They appeared to be enjoying one another quite a great deal.

Fortunately, just me thinking about Talos caused him to glance in my direction. He smiled. I smiled back, not immediately realizing how awkward I must have looked just then; silently watching on as he danced with another woman, playing with my hair like a child. Thankfully, Talos saved me from myself when he released one of Tanya's hands to take mine instead. He led both of us from the floor.

I'll admit that I turned the emergent conversation onto myself as soon as I could. I tried to explain to them how I was feeling; not bad, per say, just off. Neither of them were irritated that I'd interrupted them. Neither of them were annoyed I'd sought them out. Both Talos and Tanya only wanted to see me happy, and all their attentions instantly turned towards that objective.

They really were a perfect couple - and not just to each other, but to me as well. I hated that I deluded myself into feeling like an outsider with them. They dropped everything because they thought I was in need, and would likely have changed their plans entirely had I asked.

"Perhaps we could slam one out upstairs?" Talos crudely suggested. I giggled, denying him with a shake of my head. He could have me come night's end. Tanya then offered her suggestion.

"Do you need a wing-woman? I'm, um, admittedly not very extroverted, but-"

"No, but thanks, Tanya," I laughed.

"We could always leave?" Talos shrugged.

"Go home? Now?" I asked with furrowed brow.

"Nah, not home. We could go to Redstone, or maybe port to Santaria. I'm sure they've damn good parties as well, where we could wish others a Merry Solstice rather than a Blessed Midwinter."

"Seriously, these heathens," Tanya agreed with a nod. I could only giggle at their banter. Gods, how I loved them. And, truth be told, their idea of spontaneous exploration did sound lovely, but I couldn't retreat from my own party.

"It's fine, my loves," I beamed. "I guess I only needed a moment away from them is all. Are you two having fun?"

"Most certainly," Talos smirked. "Are you aware that our Tanya is quite the talented dancer?"

"I saw!"

"I-I was more surprised by Talos' skill," Tanya grinned, leaning against our man and slapping his chest. "Who knew that there was a gentlemen under this hard exterior?"

"Oh stop, Tanya, you're making me blush," a non-reddened Talos gruffly replied, before turning his attention back towards me. "Perhaps you only need a dance to lighten your step, honey. Let's go."

"No, no, I couldn't," I warmly declined. "Tanya's your date tonight."

"I could go get drinks?" she amicably suggested. "Speaking of, I love what you did to the punch."

"It's more wine than punch," Talos agreed.

"Thanks-"

"In fact, I'd be more impaired than an ear-less bat if I hadn't studied the Teetotal Hex for Talos' sake," she continued, nudging his shoulder.

"Tanya," I chortled, covering my mouth with a balled fist. I couldn't recall the last time I'd seen her so candid. "I... gods. I love you guys."

I hadn't meant to get sentimental tonight - they just brought it out of me. And instead of merely giving me words in turn, Talos, then Tanya, leaned in to give me a tight squeeze and a loving smooch. I felt like a million crowns. I was back in it.

"Well, I must get back to the guests. I'll find you in an hour or so?"

"Mm! Don't have too much fun without us," Tanya winked. I gave her a teasing smirk and a playful pinch of her cheek, then twirled about to continue greeting the King's guests.

My mood, no, my everything lightened up after only a minute or two in their presence. The bubbles of giddiness had captured me once again, and the time flew as I greeted the Lords and Counts I'd missed earlier. I curtseyed for them, responded warmly to all their flattery, and paid many a true compliment in turn.

And I didn't limit myself to the nobility. Hells, tonight was the Solstice, the warmest hearthfire betwixt an endless fall of snow, where all were equal under the gods no matter their station. I went out of my way to thank those that worked on this holiest of nights; the waitstaff, the cooks, and the Castle guardsmen draped in purple. And things were going smoothly; until, well, they weren't.

"Hi there," I husked, greeting the last guardsman. "Sir William, right?"

"You got it. Blessed Midwinter, milady," he bowed.

I softly cleared my throat in that split second between replies, realizing that I'd never seen this man without a helm obscuring half his face. In more than one way, he looked like a younger version of Talos; if Talos hadn't been a merciless mercenary in a previous life, that is. He had that chiseled jaw and that perfect chin. Those knowing eyes and that piercing smile. The long, dark hair that one could wrap their hands in. He kept his young face shaved, though, giving him a virtuous sort of look that Talos could never pull off.

"Blessed Midwinter, Sir William," I softly replied, curtseying ever-so-delicately. "How are you finding our King's lavish offering to the gods?"

"Quite well, milady. Although if I knew any better, I could've swore that it was your offering," William smiled.

"Blessed are the meek," I chuckled in reply. He laughed with me.

"And pray tell, which goddess are you representing on this holiest of nights?"

Huh. What a charmer. Clearly he'd honed his skills from a young age, as he couldn't have had more than twenty years.

"Fiona, of course." The Lady of Lust. Sir William didn't miss a beat, despite my noble tease.

"Ah, yes, I should have thought it earlier. It's a fine rendition, though it is a little bold to put our lady above to shame so convincingly."

His eye contact was impeccable. His smile was contagious. And, worst of all, I couldn't help but giggle from his well-crafted flirtation.

"I've always been told that fortune favors the bold," I warmly responded, curling my hair around a finger.

My mind further turned to mush the longer I was in his presence, and I'd been so entranced by his visage and his words that I'd almost forgotten to read him. That, it turned out, was a mistake - for, no matter how noble his words were aloud, his thoughts emanated from a base depravity that I thought only I possessed. Huh. Ask me to dance, William.

"Indeed it does," he nodded. "And if I may be so bold in turn, I'd like to ask my lady for a dance."

I was quite surprised by his suave demeanor, even through my charm. He still fell for it, though.

"I'm afraid your lady isn't a very good dancer," I oh-so-innocently replied. It wouldn't dissuade him.

"Neither am I," he softly lied, extending a chivalrous hand paired with a noble bow. I took it. I didn't think about it, I just took it. I'd've be a fool not to, right?

I should elucidate that there were two modes of thought when it came to dance. The peasantry had their own style; group dances where it didn't really matter how you moved, or lock-step and locked hands when dancing with a partner. Child's play, really.

On the other hand, the nobility practiced the art with fluidity and precision. Dances were passed down from generation to generation, changing stylistically over time or distance, but typically remaining quite true to its original intent, and quite rigid when put into practice. I didn't know these dances before I met Talos. I thought my ability to scrape his mind for details would give me good form. But, now that I was under pressure, I realized that he only left me with half the painting. I'd have to improvise.

I watched the other women twirl and dip as William led me to the floor, and a sudden worry crossed my mind; I'd definitely picked the wrong dress for the eve. Why, it took me a quarter-hour in front of the mirror just to learn how to cross my legs without exposing myself! In comparison, this was the Wild, Wild East when it came to my delusional exhibitionism. I should have worn shorts.

But he did start me off slow at least, letting me rediscover my own two feet as he led us through a joyous melody. His hold on me was tight, confident, and reassuring, and I knew then that he'd played this game dozens of times in the past. I wondered how I compared to them. I then wondered if anything I did could throw him off his game; make things interesting for the both of us, if you will.

"You seem to be getting along well, milady," he smiled, pushing gently against my lower back.

"And you're quite proficient yourself, contrary to your words," I teased. "Could I let you in on a secret, William?"

"I imagine you could."

I rolled my eyes. "And you promise not to tell?" He chuckled and nodded, giving me the warmest grin. "I'm... an enchantress."

"Oh? Apologies, milady, but I'm not familiar with the term."

"It means..." I leaned into him, nearly brushing my lips against his ear, "I can read minds, William... and yes, I've read yours. In fact, I'm reading it now."

He pulled away from me on instinct, though his hands didn't waver upon hearing my admission. It was a cheap trick to enlighten him to my ability, gods how I knew this, and I wondered if I really so desperate to take control of our conversation. He didn't quite believe me anyway, as was the usual response, so I decided to make him believe.

"You're wondering why I told you that," I chuckled, biting my lip as we swung and rocked. I wanted to be forthright, an event William likely hadn't experienced when dealing with a woman of status. "Well, a thought crossed your mind a minute ago that you might be able to slide your hand further south. I only wanted to affirm that I wouldn't mind."

It took William a half-moment to gather the courage to follow my dream. His hand slid down my back, and brushed against the top of my butt.

"Mm... lower," I husked. And lower still it went, until he was practically fondling my cheek. Perfect. The tempo of the dance soon slowed, and was replaced by a song accompanied by a piano. We shuffled closer to one another so my tits were pushed against his chest.

"You know, my father always told me to stay away from mages - or, witches, as he called them. But I find the stories I was told aren't a good representation of you at all," William softly said.

"And my father told me to stay away from knights in shining armor, for, under their gleaming metal, a callous heart doth lie," I replied with a smile. "But I don't see that in you, either. How does your hand find it's new home, William?"

William cleared his throat. "It's quite... plump, my lady."

"Plump?!" I laughed.

"Pleasing! Uh, shapely, I suppose? I-I'm sorry - I'm not at all used to this. Your proffered abilities have left me feeling overwhelmed," he anxiously replied. "Though, I suppose it matters not what I say, if all I think is rendered accessible?"

"It matters," I smiled. "A person's thoughts are impossible to control, and every enchantress knows not all are to be acted upon or taken at face value. A person's words - those offered freely, are how they wish to present themselves, and are the meat of any conversation. One's thoughts, on the other hand, is the bread."

"Sufficient yet unsatisfying?" he smirked.

"Plentiful yet unmemorable," I warmly replied with a wink. "For the most part. And how are you finding my dress?"

William glanced at my tits and released his wonderful hold on my ass. He spun me away as per the dance, bowed, then raised my hand to his lips for a peck. When I returned to him, his hand thankfully returned to my butt.

"It sparkles with the same radiance that your smile brings to my heart. And... I'm sure it instills all manner of deviant thought into my mind," he answered with a smirk.

Yes it does, dearest William, I mused as I giggled. Finally. Finally! After all the work I'd put into myself this night, I was actually receiving what I wanted in return. My blood was boiling, and my sex couldn't have been warmer as I danced through his mind and atop the floor as well. As if in acknowledgment of this he then squeezed my ass, causing a troupe of butterflies to flutter through my chest. I might have moaned.

The tempo of the hall livened upon the next song. It called for an energetic dance filled with twirls, bows, dips and pulls, and the longer we remained dancing, the deeper I sunk into William's mind. I discovered where he anticipated the movements of his partner and sought to emulate that, rather than copying the moves of the other women on the floor. I was ecstatic. In fact, I was so enthralled by our time together that I didn't realize his hand had slipped under my skirt until it was too late.

But I swayed closer to him every chance I got, and even lifted my leg a bit so he could get a better feel. I adored the confidence that he now practiced and thought as we swung about merrily on the floor, and to excite me further, William was already pondering on how to get me to bed this night.

Annnd... I'd have to reject him. I wasn't looking forward to that. He thought me already won. Hells, I was getting there myself! And any woman would be lucky to bed Sir William. He deserved a wonderful wife, one noble and fecund who could grant him so many beautiful children. Why wasn't he yet married, anyway?

... Uh oh.

I finally figured out why I was so greatly enjoying our dance. I fancied him. As strange as that sounds, I actually fancied this man. And, since I fancied him, this was cheating. This was crossing a boundary that Talos and I had never discussed, because the idea that I'd fall for another man had never crossed our mind.

I had to leave. I had to distance myself from this man and never speak of this again. I formulated a simple, yet convincing excuse; there were many guests that I still had to greet.

"William, I, um-"

"Sir William," an imposing voice boomed from my left. William's hand instantly retreated from my butt.

"Sire," he bowed. I bit my lip without looking at my regal intruder - out of concern, perhaps, that the King had witnessed something I'd only just realized.

"Blessed Midwinter, William. May I steal your partner away for a time?" King Alfred more-than-asked. Sir William let go of my hand, and stepped to the side.

"Of course, sire. She's all yours." Oh, sure William, pass me off like a slab of meat! "I'll see you the 'morrow, milady. Have a Blessed Midwinter."