A Fantasy about Love Pt. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I wondered where that came from and she said: "Mother. She has the most astonishing collection of clothing that I have ever seen. When we go back, I will investigate what is usable for me, and steal it. She hasn't used it during the last few years, but since you appeared, she might be interested again in dressing up. I'll have to be careful, my love!"

We went to a restaurant the reception recommended and had wild boar with a bottle of Spanish red wine. We were tired, however, and when we were back in the room, we looked at each other and I told her: "I love you, but all I want now to hug you and stay in your arms. "

She agreed and after kissing the tips of her breasts and a deep kiss on her lips as traditions should not be broken, as any German would tell you, we fell asleep in each other arms.

In the morning we went back to the nursing home and Father was already up; he had taken off his robe and put on a white dress shirt, shaved, and his eyes were more alive than yesterday. The nurse whispered that he had insisted to be dressed properly for his daughter-in-law "Not for you, sir, for her", and he was waiting for us.

He looked at Maureen -- I was apparently forgotten -- and when she bent down and gave him a kiss on his cheek, he beamed like a young man receiving his first kiss. He took her hands and asked her to tell her more about herself. I might as well have left and read a book for all the two were interested in my opinion. It was wonderful, to see, however, how fast Maureen had conquered his heart. Have I told you recently that she is a wonderful woman, and that I love her so much? This was proof again of the magic she had and the warmth she was ready to give to others.

After a while he closed his eyes and his mind wandered away. His face was relaxed, however, and when he whispered something that sounded like my mother's name, he even had a little smile on his lips. The Nurse told us that he would sleep at least for three hours and we were free to do whatever we wanted and should come back after lunch. We went to the center of München and walked through the Marienplatz and entered some shops, and then had a quick lunch at Dallmayr's. This was one of the best delicatessen shops in the city, with an astonishing variety of food and wines, but our heart was not in it and we went back to the nursing home and waited for Father to wake up.

It was wonderful to see the smile on his face when he opened his eyes and saw Maureen sitting beside him.

"Hello, Maureen. You are obviously not a dream! What have you done today? Has James looked after you? Hello, James."

It was nice to see that he remembered that I was there, too! She told him about our little excursion and the lunch, and that we wanted to be back when he woke up. The afternoon was a repetition of the morning and I believe that they did not notice when I left for a while to call Sydney to see whether everything was all right. Soon he was tired again and the Nurse told us to leave, as good emotions could be as dangerous as bad ones.

The next day we told Father that Maureen would have to go back to Brisbane that night to take tests for her university degree, but if he wanted, she would stay. He asked me whether these tests were important, and I nodded.

"Maureen, your visit here has made my life lighter and more enjoyable. I'd love for you to stay more time, but I cannot take you away from your responsibilities. Go back and if God wills it, I shall be there at your wedding."

Now both cried and I had to stop my sniffling. When he fell asleep again, we left and had lunch at a McDonalds in the neighborhood. It was food and filling, but not something I would like to eat every day. When we went back, Father was already awake and when she kissed him, he lifted his weak arms and embraced her slowly; then he told me to open a drawer in a sideboard and take out a box. He tried to open it with a little key he had in his hands and when it finally unlocked, he took out a small box. He gave it to her and asked her to open it. In it was a woman's signet ring with our family's coat of arms engraved.

"This, Maureen, is for you to wear with pride -- it was my wife's ring and before that my grandmother's ring, and it goes back for many, many generations. I want you to have it. It says 'Honor et fortitude' and means that we always cherished Honor and Courage above everything else. You are family now and the marriage would be just a public ceremony. For me, you are my daughter-in-law already. I don't know what you did to me, but I consider you my daughter, and you should carry on our tradition, educating your children with the same virtues."

She put it on her finger and as if by miracle, it fitted perfectly. The crying session continued and only after a while we came back to normal. She sat beside him, holding his hand all the time, and his face was more relaxed than before.

The time came for her to say goodbye and another bucket of tears was spilled. When we left, she suddenly turned back and ran to his bed. "You consider me your daughter. May I consider you my father?"

He nodded and waved us away; telling us that he was tired, but he would see her again soon.

I drove her to the airport and whilst we were waiting for the boarding to start, I asked what she had done to my father. I had never seen him like this, and I did not understand it. She looked at me and asked whether I understood what had happened between us? Nobody could explain how a few days had bonded us together for eternity, yet it happened, and we were better for it. Perhaps her visit had taken away the tension of the illness and he looked at life from a different angle. She did not know, but she felt wonderful for it.

The boarding call came, and she kissed me once more.

"Give your father my love tomorrow morning and tell him that I love him and that I expect him to be at our wedding! "

Showing off her new ring she walked away, but came back once more for a deep and loving kiss. "Take care of yourself without me, James, and I love you!" She blew me a kiss and entered the gate.

I drove back to the hotel, slept fitfully and in the morning returned to see Father. It was pouring and the wind was strong, making the walk to the hospital very uncomfortable. The doctor intercepted me before I could enter his room and took me into a little meeting room.

"Mr. Winter, your visit and especially the presence of your fiancé have helped your father a lot. I've never seen him so relaxed and happy during the time I treat him here. Unfortunately, the emotions you shared took most of his strength away, so I recommend that you settle with him whatever you have to do, since he will not stay with us for a long time."

When I entered father's room, he was already waiting for me.

"Is Maureen on her way home?" I nodded.

"Then let us settle family business. You will be the Head of the de Winter family and this has certain responsibilities. I want you to consider them carefully and to deal with them as needed. There is not a lot of money left, so distribute it as you see fit. I understand from you and Maureen that you are well off and don't really need it, so give it away. The family documents and the jewelry are in that drawer -- Maureen has her signet ring; yours is in the box I showed you yesterday. Take them with you when you go back to Australia. I recommend that you contact Dr. Willington and give him a power-of-attorney to handle everything else; his address is in the drawer, too. I always trusted him, so trust him also."

I stared at my father: the 'Herr Oberst' was back and had given his orders. Where were the tears? The sentiments? This was the strict business I was accustomed to, but did not expect from him, and especially at this moment.

"Don't look at me that way, son. I know what will happen, and it'll happen soon. I stayed alive to see you once more and settle my problems with you; Maureen's presence was unexpected and wonderful. You gave me the happiness of having my son back with me and she gave me peace. Now sit here beside me and tell me about your life -- we did not give you any chance to enter a word into our conservation. So please tell me how you got to Australia and how you met Maureen."

He was coughing again, but a sip of some liquid calmed his throat.

I told him my story from my university days to the moment I had been transferred to Australia, and a highly censored story of my life with Maureen. He seemed to enjoy it and little smiles appeared occasionally. He also seemed to be weaker and even more tired.

Suddenly, he took my hand.

"Son, I'm proud of you, more than you can imagine. I've seen that you have found your woman who will accompany you all your life. She'll make you happy and it's your duty to care for her, protect her and love her. My life now is fulfilled, and I can go without any remorse. Come here."

He took my head in his hands, lifted his and gave me a kiss on each cheek and slowly kissed my forehead.

"Children, you have my blessings. Be happy, and never let her go!"

I nodded, kissed him back and looked at him. He closed his eyes, took a deep breath and went away. It was not dramatic, it seemed like he simply walked away into another life, hopefully happier than the one he had had here. I thought I was a rational manager, being able to compartmentalize and control my emotions, but this moment overwhelmed me. I started to cry and only after I felt a hand on my shoulder, I came back to reality. It was the doctor saying that the emotions were too much for my father. He had passed away, but he had died happy about his new family member and our conciliation, and that should be a consolation for me.

The rest of the weekend went in a blur: signing documents, calling some remote relatives who had never cared for him, calling Dr. Willington and signing power-of-attorneys, and staying for the funeral. The hospital administration seemed to have enough experience in these matters and thankfully, it was done fast. Years ago, when Father was getting ill and went to this hospital, I had arranged that in a nearby cemetery, beautifully managed and with lots of ancient oak trees that Father had enjoyed, a grave was reserved for him. He never knew about this, but I was certain that he would have enjoyed the tranquility and serenity of this place.

I had called Eileen to tell her what had happened, and that Maureen was already on her way home. Could she please tell her what happened?

Maureen called me as soon as she arrived in Brisbane and we had another crying session. Finally, I put myself together and started to think. I had another session with Dr. Willington to clear up any remaining problems; he seemed to be very competent and as Father had suggested, I trusted him to handle everything that did not need my personal and urgent attention.

I thanked the doctor and the nurses, gave a generous donation to their charity fund for retired nurses, changed my ticket to the new departure time, and went back to Sydney.

TO BE CONTINUED