A Father's Justice Pt. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Well, I'm flattered, Ranger," Ryan said. "Listen, if there's anything me or my department can do to help the Rangers, please feel free to ask." Justice smiled grimly at Ryan as they shook hands.

"I'll remember that, Sheriff Caldwell," Justice said. "You take good care of that woman of yours, you hear me?"

"I will, Ranger," Ryan said. Justice nodded his head.

"We'll be seeing ya," he said as he turned toward to door. "Y'all have a nice day, now, y'hear?"

"Will do, Ranger," Ryan said. "You do the same." A chill went up Ryan's back as he watched the Ranger walk through the office, tipping his hat as he passed Sgt. Bledsoe. He sat back down to his computer and looked up as he heard what he thought was the "clip-clop" sound of hooves on the pavement outside. Looking outside, though, he saw nothing. "Maybe I'm losing it," he thought to himself and turned back to his work.

A few minutes later, there was a tapping at his door. He looked and saw Sgt. Bledsoe.

"Yes, Sergeant, what can I do for you?" he asked.

"If you don't mind my asking, Sheriff, what did that Ranger want?" she asked.

"Says the inquiry is finished and it was a good shoot," Ryan said. "I don't know why they'd send a Ranger out to tell us that, though. Don't they use email?"

"Who knows, these days?" she asked with a smile. "May I speak candidly for a minute, Sheriff?"

"Always, Sergeant," Ryan said. "What's on your mind?"

"Well, the other deputies and I have been talking," she began. "At first, we were a bit concerned when Sheriff Coltrane named you for this job. I mean, with your lack of law enforcement experience and all."

"I can understand that," Ryan said. "I was concerned as well."

"Well, I think I can speak for everyone here when I say that we're all glad you're with us," she said with a smile.

"Thank you, Elaine," he said, referring to her by her first name. "That means a lot to me. Truth is, I'm glad to be here with all of you as well." She smiled as he said that.

"That's all I had, Sheriff," she said. "I'd better get back to work now." Ryan nodded his head.

"Yeah, me too," he said.

...

Two weeks later, he and Beverly received a notice from the county. The board had put them up for a commendation, and the governor and state attorney general were coming to present the awards.

Personally, Ryan didn't think he deserved an award. In his mind, he was just doing his job. He was glad, however, that they decided to give Beverly an award. Nevertheless, he dressed in his best uniform and accompanied Beverly to the courthouse, where the presentation was to be made.

As he listened to governor's speech, he thought it somewhat fitting that a one-eyed sheriff would be given a commendation by a governor restricted to a wheelchair. He watched and smiled with pride as the attorney general placed an award around Beverly's slender neck. Then it was his turn.

After the governor handed him the commendation letter, he turned to the audience for a few short remarks, that concluded with: "And let this be fair warning to those who would come here to make trouble. Don't mess with Texas." Everyone applauded loudly, including Ryan and Beverly.

After the congratulations were over, Beverly whispered in his ear.

"I'm so hot for you, I'm ready to jump your bones right here, cowboy," she said.

"I've never made love to a genuine heroine before, so I'm ready," he said back.

...

Two weeks later, Ryan was in his upstairs bedroom, getting into his tuxedo. Today was the day he and Beverly had been waiting for -- the day they would become husband and wife. Beverly, being the strong woman she is, got through the incident with Weston just fine, despite the initial shock.

As he got dressed, he looked out the window and saw a gleaming white helicopter land on his pistol range. He saw a familiar logo on the side and wondered what was going on. It was a logo he hadn't seen in about four years. He knew Jim planned to ferry them to Las Vegas for their honeymoon, but he wasn't expecting this. He was shocked when he saw Jim climb out of the chopper in a fresh uniform. What the hell, he asked himself. He ran downstairs and made it into kitchen just as Jim walked in.

"Jim," he said. "What the hell?" Jim smiled and shook his hand.

"Like it?" Jim said, showing off his uniform with the gold wings and gold stripes on his sleeve.

"Looks nice," Ryan said. "But..."

"Ah, looks like my boss just got here," Jim said.

"Boss?" Ryan asked. Jim pointed out the front window. Ryan looked and saw a large white limousine pull in front of the house. Ryan ran outside just as a door opened. Out stepped two fairly young Middle Eastern men. One held the door open as a very familiar figure in a gleaming white robe stepped out. He extended a hand, which was filled with the hand of a very attractive Middle Eastern woman. Ryan went out the door and met them at the gate.

"Sheikh Abdullah," Ryan said. "As-salaam alykum," he added, shaking the man's offered hand. The man smiled and responded: "Wa alaykum as-salaam, Ryan. It is good to see you as well, my old friend."

"I'm surprised," Ryan said. "I wasn't expecting you." The old man smiled and nodded his head.

"I just concluded some business, and thought I would visit," he said. "It is, how might you say it, icing on the cake. Please, if I may, let me introduce my wife, Alia," he said, turning slightly to the small woman next to him. Ryan knew the sheikh wasn't as much of a traditionalist as other Middle Eastern men, but he didn't want to offend the man, or his wife. So, he placed his right hand on the left side of his chest and bowed slightly while greeting her. She smiled and did the same.

"And my oldest sons, Muhammad and Ibrahim," the sheikh said. Ryan shook their hands and greeted them as well.

"I understand you spent some time in our country," Muhammad said.

"I did," Ryan said. "I worked for your father for a time, but I never met his family."

"My sons were in college at the time," the sheikh said. "Harvard Business School. Now they get to prove that I did not waste my money educating them." Ryan chuckled at that.

"Please, come inside," Ryan said. He held the gate open for them and ushered them inside. The house was already full of guests, but Ryan found Bob and waved him over.

"Sheikh, this is my son-in-law, Robert Greene," Ryan said. Bob shook the sheikh's hand, then Muhammad's and Ibrahim's. He nodded at Alia, having noticed that Ryan did not shake her hand.

"So you are 'Gunner,' is that right?" the sheikh asked. Bob smiled sheepishly and nodded his head.

"Yes, that's what I've been called," he said.

"It suits you," the sheikh said. "Jim told me all about you. I've been following your career at the Commerce Department. That report you wrote on making Amtrak profitable was quite interesting."

"You read that?" Bob asked, surprised.

"Oh, yes," the sheikh said. "Too bad your government will never adopt it, though. It makes too much sense." They all laughed at that. "Personally, I think your talents are wasted at the Commerce Department. Perhaps it's time you spread your wings and take on new challenges."

"I don't know what else I'd do," Bob said.

"Perhaps you'd like to come work for me," the sheikh said.

"Work for you?" Bob asked. "Doing what?"

"Well, it's going to make the news soon anyway, so I might as well tell you," the sheikh said. "As you know, Knight Petroleum is in the middle of a shake-up. Stock plummeting, confidence falling, the whole infrastructure is collapsing."

"Yes, I've been following that," Bob said.

"Well, I've just concluded a deal to take it over," the sheikh said. Bob looked shocked. "Yes, we now have control of nearly 75 percent of the available stock in the company and we concluded a deal. It just has to be approved by your government, but that's a mere formality at this point. We are now in the process of recruiting new leadership to take over as soon as the transition is approved. Everyone on the old management team is transitioning out and the new leadership will be in place within a few days. I just need a new CFO, and I felt it was time to inject some new blood. Would you be interested in the position?"

"Wow," Bob said, excited. "Yes, sir, I would. Very much."

"Excellent," the sheikh said. "Let's meet after the festivities and we can discuss the details of the acquisition and your compensation package."

"That sounds terrific, sheikh, thanks," Bob said. The sheikh turned back to Ryan and took an envelope from Muhammad. He handed it to Ryan.

"I hope you don't mind," the sheikh said. "A small wedding gift. I've placed my executive helicopter and my pilot at your disposal for the week, and I took the liberty of upgrading your reservation. You and your lovely bride are now in the penthouse suite, at my insistence. And I've given you just a little bit of walking around money."

"Thank you, sheikh, you didn't have to do that," Ryan said.

"I know, but I wanted to," the older man said. "Enjoy, please. After all, how often do you get to visit Las Vegas?"

"Very true," Ryan said. "You have my heartfelt thanks."

"Speaking of which, where is your lovely bride?" the sheikh asked.

"She's upstairs with my daughter getting ready," Ryan said. "It's tradition that the bride stay out of sight until the beginning of the wedding."

"Ah, I understand," the sheikh said. "Well, then, Mr. Greene, would you please accompany us to our seats?"

"Absolutely," Bob said. "Then I have to get back. I'm Dad's best man." The sheikh nodded in approval. Ryan watched as they walked out and opened the envelope. His eyes grew wide when he saw a pre-paid Visa card. A card attached to it said $100,000 was loaded on it. A small gift, indeed. He knew this was chump change for the sheikh, however.

He looked around the house for a moment and thought about all he had been through to get to this point in his life. The place was packed with friends, both old and new. His old team -- Bill, Buster, Ian, Jim and Cap -- were all there, along with Jorge, Jay Goldsmith, every deputy that wasn't on duty and of course, Russell. A few members of the county board of commissioners were there as well. He hoped they would have enough food and drink for everyone. He was glad he had plenty of space out back for everyone to park.

Quite a few friends of Beverly's were there as well, along with some of their neighbors. There was one person missing, though. He looked out front and saw a dark SUV pull into the driveway. After it stopped, he saw Agent Smith get out, then open the passenger door for his wife. Ryan smiled as he greeted his friend.

"I thought you guys weren't going to make it," Ryan said.

"Wouldn't miss this for the world," Smith said. He introduced his wife, Gloria, and Buster walked them out to their seats. Ryan looked at his watch and realized it was about time. He checked himself one last time in a mirror, then headed out.

He stood at the outdoor altar with Bob, Ian and Cap. They all turned as the Wedding March was played on the outdoor sound system. Everyone got a smile as little Ryan walked down the aisle, spreading flower petals in front of the procession.

Bob steadied Ryan as he watched his bride-to-be walk down the aisle on Russell's arm, preceded by Sarah, Elaine Bledsoe and Trish Callaway, one of Beverly's long-time friends. Beverly looked so beautiful to him that he had to remind himself to breathe. When they reached the altar, the pastor asked, "Who gives this woman to be married?"

"On behalf of the community of Hard Rock, Texas, I do," Russell said. Everyone smiled at that. The ceremony was uplifting, and the whole thing was captured and streamed live for the benefit of Beverly's son, who couldn't get away from the Naval Academy. A few days before the wedding, Ryan had finally gotten a chance to talk with him over Skype and they hit it off just fine.

When it was finished, the pastor asked them to face the audience.

"And now, it is my distinct pleasure to introduce for the first time, Mr. and Mrs. Ryan Caldwell," the pastor said, prompting applause from everyone. The reception went well, as a local band played an eclectic mix of country, bluegrass and rock music. There was plenty of food and drink and everyone had a good time, reminiscing and dancing.

Everyone came up to wish the newly-married couple well and Ryan was glad no one ruined the day by mentioning Lisa. Not that they needed to -- Ryan already knew her situation thanks to Jorge, Sarah and others. Having lost the vast majority of her wealth, she had been forced to sell her mansion and was now in assisted living while undergoing therapy that could last years. On top of that, she was still considered an accomplice to much of what Jake, Elmer and the board had been doing. The only thing that kept her out of jail was her cooperation and her physical condition.

Timmy, the man who shot Lisa, was facing about 10 years in jail, thanks to a plea deal his lawyers made with the federal prosecutor. A number of mid and lower-echelon managers with Knight were also on their way to jail for various crimes. Police in England still had not solved Blackstone's murder, but were pursing all leads with the assistance of the FBI.

The class action lawsuit was still slowly working its way through the system, and Ryan figured he would never see a dime from it. Still, he was heartened to know that Knight's legacy would always be remembered with infamy.

Authorities attributed the attack on the Knight compound to a drug cartel operating south of the border and Smith was on his way to Washington, D.C., where he would take a new deputy director position responsible for cleaning up the agency.

All in all, Ryan thought, everything worked out well. He and Beverly still hadn't worked out all the details regarding their two homes, but he knew they would, eventually. Beverly's egg business was doing well and she had mentioned expanding it and perhaps hiring in a couple of people, turning her old house into an office space.

"I just want to say thanks for staying to look out for my chickens," Beverly told Sarah and Bob. "I just hope it isn't asking too much."

"Nonsense, Mom," Sarah said. "I'm a veterinarian, remember? It's a pleasure. Besides, you two deserve some time together."

"Are you sure you guys can handle all this?" Ryan asked Bob, handing him keys to the house.

"Don't worry, Dad," Bob told him. "Sarah and I will take care of this."

"And we'll help him, won't we boys?" Buster asked. Cap, Ian, Bill and Jorge nodded their heads.

"Alright," Ryan said. "Thanks for everything."

"No problem, Dad," Bob said. "You guys go, have fun." Ryan turned to Russell.

"You got everything under control?" he asked. Russell laughed.

"Oh, I think we can manage a week without you," he said, laughing. "Go on, your chopper's waiting."

Ryan and Beverly said their goodbyes and ran through a gauntlet of well-wishers tossing rice. They made it to the helicopter and Jim closed the door as they climbed in. Jim had already loaded their luggage on the helicopter and they were ready to go. Everyone could see, "Just Married" written on one of the back windows after the door was closed.

"Sorry," Cap whispered to Sheikh Abdullah. "I couldn't help myself."

"No problem," the sheikh said. "It will give Jim something to do." They all laughed. They waved as Ryan and Beverly waved from the chopper. They watched as the aircraft lifted slowly, then turned and headed north.

"You think they'll join the mile high club in that thing?" Buster asked.

"It wouldn't be the first time it's happened," the sheikh said, smiling. "It is much more comfortable than that rickety old thing Jim likes to tinker with."

"Think Ryan finally found what he was looking for?" Ian asked. The sheikh nodded his head.

"I think so," he said. Sarah looked at him, confused.

"What was he looking for?" she asked. The sheikh looked at the chopper, now nearly out of sight.

"Peace," he said. "And a father's justice."

...

Fade to black...

Notes:

Apologies in advance if I got any of the greeting with the sheikh and his wife wrong. I relied on Google for that, so if anything is incorrect, the blame falls on Google...

As far as I know, there is no town in west Texas named Hard Rock. I made that up for the purpose of this story.

I also know that sheriffs in most jurisdictions are elected, not appointed. Remember, this is MY universe, where my rules apply...

For those who may be wondering, "Ranger" Justice O. Peace is from my series "Justice." I suggest you read that series to learn about him.

On a final note, I want to thank everyone for the votes and kind words. I hope you enjoyed this series as much as I enjoyed crafting it for you. I'm sure there are those who want to say this or that wouldn't or couldn't happen, but this is a work of fiction, and therefore isn't real.