All Comments on 'A Fool No More'

by SouthernCrossfire

Sort by:
  • 82 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

One of the best on this in any site.

Congratulations on such great work and development of a story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

This has to be the most long winded 'story' about the weakest, wimpiest man written on this site.

LenardSpencerLenardSpencerover 1 year ago

Hi. There's nothing wrong with the quality of your writing... but the story!!! It should have been called "The Life of a Doormat". This idiot guy was so weak and pathetic his entire life that every female he encountered was able to control and manipulate him. His wife throughout their marriage. Then when she was cheating on him. Then when she "allowed" the moron to come back for about 8 months. Then his traitoris daughter. The young woman half his age. Her sister. EVERY one of them.

Even the divorce. Why was he living in a squalid flat while the cheating slut ex-wife was in the family home? The daughter was 18 (just graduated High School). No maintenance. The family home should have been sold and asset divided.

Anyway, this type of guy just makes me want to vomit. He wouldn't even tell the truth to everyone about his cheating slut wife, once he found out.

DrtywrdsmithDrtywrdsmithover 1 year ago

Outstanding!!⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

ScottishTexanScottishTexanover 1 year ago

I enjoyed everything except for Brooke's SELFISH decision. She's not stupid and she knew damn well what kind of man Jared was. Brooke wouldn't have fallen in love with him if he wasn't good father material in the first place. She knew damn well what she was stealing from him with every passing day. She wouldn't have altered her course except for the fact that the accident took the choice away from her.

Brooke and Jeanie are BOTH pieces of shit. Their only difference between them is that one was excreted from a cow and the other from a dog. But a turd is still a turd and they both stink.

I still gave you a 5/5.

lujon2019lujon2019over 1 year ago

cucks get one star

his wife cheated he took her back

her got evidence that she was cheating for years he did nothing

his daughter ignored him for years he did nothing

his daughter ruined his life he did nothing

his second wife stole four years of his newest daughters life and he did nothing

.

\

the man is a coward and a horrible father, no wonder his first daughter is a piece of shit, and his others will be as well

SmuttyandfunSmuttyandfunover 1 year ago

5 Big Stars! Really well written, as always. I for one, was glad to see that everything worked out for them.

LingeringAfterthoughtLingeringAfterthoughtover 1 year ago

Bravo Crossfire! I love how much more patience and depth go into your stories and I hope to do better at that in mine. This was sweet and real at the same time.

JoshFrom53JoshFrom53over 1 year ago

I refrain of any comments about the characters characters of the personae in this story. Why? Because it's a wonderful, emotional story with actual human traits. I had a wonderfull read. SC, thank you so much for writing it.

JoshFrom53

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I liked it…a lot…but…

.

Jared was such a dweeb! Glad things worked out for him…but damn he was such a weak and stupid guy!

.

The whole relationship with Ashley never made sense. Especially him not seeing her in person both before and after the second breakup with Jeanie. He leaves scores of messages but never follows up with a visit?

.

Still a nice solid 4 **** effort. Thanks!

FlynnTaggartFlynnTaggartover 1 year ago

4 just for Brooke's decision to cut him out of her life despite having his baby. Otherwise a good story, him taking the wife back did make sense but glad it didn't stick. Was expecting Ashley to not be his with how similar she looked to Brooke's older sister but that just seemed to be a red herring from what I could tell.

Craig1878Craig1878over 1 year ago

I enjoyed this story very much, 5 stars worth. The characters are all flawed but thus is life.

WhoGivesAShitWhoGivesAShitover 1 year ago

Fantastic story. Jared was walking a tightrope, loving Brooke, but worried based on past experience with Jeannie. You hit the mark, perfectly.

MattblackUKMattblackUKover 1 year ago

Wow! What an excellent story of true love. Jeanie is clearly a very broken person. Glad he found real, true love with Brooke. 5* storytelling.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Well written story but why would you make your main male character a whining cuck wannabe?

Harryin VAHarryin VAover 1 year ago

It's really becoming apparent that each new entry into When a Man Loves a Woman subgrouping here on LW is getting worse and worse.

.

How exactly does this author write this story and think this is romantic or in the LW Category? With every single paragraph and every single page we see a story about a supposedly male Homo sapien who gets weaker and weaker and more pathetic with each New sentence a new paragraph.

.

Why is he letting some teenage idiot bimbo boss him around?

Why does he let his wife who fuck him over twice destroy his life without any consequences

You need to change the name of the story from a full no more to a full every single day

numbnutz49numbnutz49over 1 year ago

Awesome! I think this one was the best of the group. Now, I am off to read more of your stories.

JoshFrom53JoshFrom53over 1 year ago

I refrain from any comments about the characters from the personae in this story. The traits from the

personae are quite real in my opinion. I think It is an emotional and a lovely story and it was a pleasure to read it.

Thank you SC for writing it.

JoshFrom53

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

A fine five star story, though Brooke’s decision not to tell Jared about Caitlyn is cruel, stupid, and finally rather inexplicable.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

The story was excellent. The guy wasn't a doormat, just a nice guy. There are still some of them out there. Not all men are like the ones that wrote about this story. Again, this was an excellent story and hope you keep writing, I enjoyed it a lot, thanks.

drycreeksdrycreeksover 1 year ago

Great story. Sometimes i think the readers here gorget we r all human nndeal with problems differently everyday. Enjoyed ur story it was appreciated.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

The story was pretty good, though it felt long and a bit contrived. The writing was strong, but Brooke must have been really big to be wearing a bathroom. 😀

Mike9947Mike9947over 1 year ago

Wow - who are those people with the negative vibes? They must be the ones with perfect lives. Of course. Must be.

Well my life has been interesting and successful by any measure - but I am not damaged be needing to be perfect. I think it was a brilliant story,

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

wonderful telling of a beautiful story .. had me cringing in dread, grinning at times , and tearing up with joy , please write more ... this foolish 77yr. old man will be looking for itl

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Great story! I wouldn’t change a thing.

DevlinCarnateDevlinCarnateover 1 year ago

An amazing parable of a man condemned to living in an insane asylum.

***

With the exception of a very brief appearance by Brooke's father, every single character interacting with The Inmate is a woman. The treacherous ex, the complete lunatic older daughter, the lover, the lover's horrid sister, Brooke's mother, the infant. Even the doctors and the therapists are ALL WOMEN. With so much of estrogen around, it's no wonder The Inmate doesn't know how to be a man.

***

Every woman The Inmate has more than a few lines of dialogue with is a vengeful, deceitful and downright awful character. Every single one lies to him, takes away what he loves and leaves him broken and alone.

***

After a while, it stops being sympathetic simply because The Inmate refuses to learn the lesson. He does it to himself.

***

The Inmate never stands up for himself. He never holds a single one of the women accountable. He never tries to leave and restart his life away from them. He just welcomes them back into his life. He practically hands them the dagger while presenting his back to them, telling them "I think you can do the most damage, either getting the kidneys, here. Or the liver, here. Or right between the shoulder blades. Maybe nick the lung while you're at it."

***

What's the old trope: "The definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing while expecting a different result"? Why does he keep allowing these women in his life when every single one just obviously cannot control their urge to fuck with him? Why is this guy still near any of these awful harpies after every single one takes his heart, stomps on it, grinds it into paste before handing it back to him, again and again?

***

How many times does The Inmate need to have a daughter taken away from him FOR YEARS before he runs away, screaming to stay away from any and all women?

***

No. He forgives every single one. The Inmate clearly thinks he is Jesus, yet another sign he is locked in an asylum. I mean, what is the common delusion of the insane? That they're Jesus! And The Inmate's name? Jared? Jesus? Coincidence? I think not!

***

By the time the absolutely awful Brianna shows up with the infant daughter, I had a visceral "Not again!" moment. I'm thinking that this is actually some kind of sadistic torture story wearing the skin of a Hallmark Film of the Week it's just killed and gutted. "It puts the romance in the basket or else it gets the daughter taken away". But not The Inmate! Nope. He's got some forgivin' to do! "How can I be a doormat now?" At some point, scripture says even Jesus got fed up with humanity's nonsense and, if just for a brief moment, was pissed off. But not The Inmate. Oh, no sir. Why? Because he's completely insane.

***

If you meet an asshole on the way to work, tough luck, you've met an asshole. If every single person you meet on the way to work is an asshole, it's far more likely that *you're* the asshole.

***

Thus, my final evidence. Every single woman that The Inmate deals with in this story is insane and relishes doing cruel and horrible things to The Inmate. Thus, it is far more likely then, that this entire story is the Thorazine-induced hallucination of a completely deranged man who sees himself as a Christ figure, simply because he refuses to learn the lesson that he need to stay the hell away from every woman in this story.

Ridiculous69Ridiculous69over 1 year ago

You clearly know to write, but am I the only one you made your MC the most pathetic and moronic figure ever? You make him a clueless cuck, a spineless fool and just a weak weak fool. He doesn’t even think his wife could be cheating. He somehow gets raped in the divorce which no sense since the daughter was over 18. He would have gotten at least a 50/50 split. You have him pining for a horrible woman and dumb enough to run over him again. To continue your emasculation of the MC, he never uses the material that shows his wife as a cheater. Instead he lets his daughter hate him and no clue her in. You must not have adult children , they can take learning the truth. Seems like another story whose only purpose was to jump on the bandwagon of making husbands losers and sad little men.

Boyd PercyBoyd Percyover 1 year ago

Great story! He was the winner in the end.

5

KaeyoKaeyoover 1 year ago

Well written, however, Jared is one of the most wishy-washy doormats I’ve ever seen.

jocko_smithjocko_smithover 1 year ago

Stopped reading when Ashley showed her bigotry.

If Ashley demanded her dad not date a black women, would he have acquiesced ?

If Ashley demanded her dad not date a jewish women, would he have acquiesced ?

If Ashley demanded her dad not date a man, would he have acquiesced ?

So much for "tolerance" in young people. I'd have been embarrassed if my daughter was that kind of bigot.

And Brooke the coward enabled that bigotry.

At that point, they both showed their true colors.

Alberto_MBFAlberto_MBFover 1 year ago

Well written as always, but the MC was such a terrible character I couldn’t give it 5.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

cant understand why these old divorced creeps always fantasize about young girls as young as their daughters? seriously? u could not be man enough to hold on to ur own wife... so eone ur age... whose libido would match yours..whose age and generation matched yours%%.... and u write stories of getting a girl as young as your daughter! what a bloody looser! the closest u may get is being able to scimp her used panties from the wash bin and smell her crotch and jerk off! Stupid loosers all including more fantasising oldies who have given thisshit a five!

BuzzCzarBuzzCzarover 1 year ago

Very well written but some really miserable humans as characters. There is no redeeming value in them. Wife is often struck by the ever elusive Martian Slut Ray, hubby is an absolute milquetoast with no backbone at all, daughter takes mother's word for everything, etc, etc. A true basket of deplorables. The writing is 5* worthy I just wish there was one likeable character. Just one.

JoshFrom53JoshFrom53over 1 year ago

I refrain from any comment about the characters of the personae. The traits are human altogether. I think it's a lovely, very well written story. .Thank you, SC, for writing it.

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightover 1 year ago

I enjoyed this romance a great deal. Thanks for the effort you made to write and post it. Well done.

RK52RK52over 1 year ago

Outstanding story. Clearly it demonstrates that love overcomes in the end. A great five star story. Thank you for a tremendous story and Randi for riding herd on folks to give all of us the chance to read and enjoy your great work. Thank you!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I would never be able to forgive a woman who kept me in the dark for years about a child being mine. Never. Your story....your way....but....man....no thank you.

BSreaderBSreaderover 1 year ago
Well

Written but....

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bcover 1 year ago

As a father’s with four daughters, the premise to the story arc is like nails on a chalkboard for me. That said, you worked your magic and drew me into your world for a fun ride. 5*

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Well done

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago
Great Story, But You're Fighting A Losing Song

The song should be titled, "When A Loser Loves A Whore" So how do you write a story themed by a cuck song and not have the MC be a pathetic cuck? Just because the song is a classic does not make it edifying, or true. When a Man loves a Woman, there is sacrifice, but no self-denigration. The is modesty, but no humiliation. There is understanding, and no disrespect. The song is a classic, but the theme is a sham, even a lie. A "Woman" doesn't shit on her "Man," and she doesn't want a man who would allow that. The song is an homage to being a cuckold, so you can take that for what's its worth. Your story was better than the song. Thanks for the effort.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 1 year ago

For such a long story, you couldn't take half a page and tell us SOMETHING about the divorce? How she got the house and he got shit? What about the rest of their assets? Why was he alienated from family and friends? He's alienated from family and friends, but got along with his in-laws? Certainly now, with proof of her infidelity, he should force the sale of the house, with him getting half.

\

I know this is first person, but maybe the PI could have shed some light on why she came back. Did Tommy break things off to try to save his marriage?

\

"There was hate in her eyes when I said it" - She had hate in HER eyes?

\

After two years of avoidance from her, I wouldn't call, I'd write, telling her that I didn't know what I did to be treated like a piece of shit, but the ball's in her court, she'll never hear from me again,that she can call me if she wants to talk.

\

Why not tell Brooke about Ashley's estrangement from him?

\

"Age doesn't determine happiness" - Heck, he was only a year older than Jeanie, and we see how THAT worked out!

\

"She said she wanted to hurt you at the time" - Why did she want to hurt him if he didn't do anything? Why hurt him again? Why didn't Ashley talk to Brooke?

\

Let me get this straight - SHE cheated on him, so wanted to hurt him. Tommy cheated on her, so she came back, then tossed him aside to go BACK to Tommy, continuing to lie to their daughter, and now that Tommy is cheating again, she wants him to give her a THIRD chance? And she doesn't even have the ovaries to come to him herself, but sends their daughter???

\

"I'd given her the P.I.'s report about her new husband cheating on his first wife." - Didn't she already know that he was cheating when he got involved with her?

\

"I hate that you two don't get along." - It's hard to get along with someone who toys with you, and alienates your children.

\

"[Brooke's] been hurt enough," - By her own doing. Running away because she didn't want to come between him and his daughter is one thing, but once she knew she was pregnant with his daughter, and intended to keep her, she HAD to go back to him.

\

Sweet story, but I'm still bugged that she didn't go back when she learned she was pregnant. Of course, then we wouldn't have had the accident, etc.

\

@LeonardSpencer, yes, the divorce was given short shrift. Better to have dealt with that in a more rational basis, end with Brooke returning once she's pregnant, and cut out the whole accident, self-doubt stuff.

\

Harry, it's not in LW, it's in Mature.

oldpantythiefoldpantythiefover 1 year ago

I thought this was an excellent piece of romantic fiction and enjoyed it very much. A lot of commenters were disgusted with Jared, but that's how the story was written. It was sad that there was so much time lost between Ashley barging in and Brooks coming back into Jared's life. I guess I'm just sheltered because I've never known anyone that has gone through these kinds of problems, thankfully. Glad for the happy ending but the last visit from Jeanie could have been left out, don't think it added anything to the story, except to show that Jared did have a set of balls finally. Five stars.

SouthernCrossfireSouthernCrossfireover 1 year agoAuthor

Author's Response:

.

Thanks so much to everyone for your support with this story, including those who’ve commented, both good and bad; it is, for now, my story with the most comments. It’s a different type of story for me so I’m enjoying your feedback, including those who feel Jared was particularly wimpy rather than a guy who’s in love and willing to going beyond “what common sense would ordinarily dictate.” The theme song, Percy Sledge’s song When a Man Loves a Woman, touches on this, and I hope the story shows that the women he loves in his life (Jeanie, Ashley, Brooke, and little Caitlyn) are more important to him than his own happiness. Yes, he’s just an average guy, a fool for love, but when it becomes irreparable, as in the case with Jeanie, he eventually tries his best to get beyond that.

.

A number of people have commented on Jared getting shafted in the divorce. That was never stated and never intended to be the case. He knew nothing about her cheating during the divorce (and didn’t suspect it), so he split assets evenly with her, with Jeanie keeping the house as part of her share. However, as was disclosed a few paragraphs later, Jared had never finished college so he went back to school. As a devoted father, he tried to put his daughter through college with the least financial impact on her despite her distancing herself from him. This is why he went the cheap-apartment-route rather than buying a house. As soon as he was finished with the tuition payments, he bought a house of his own that suited his needs.

.

Jared wasn’t socially oriented; Jeanie and Ashley were the center of his life until Jeanie yanked that rug out from under him. He had one male friend mentioned in the story, Pete from the plant, but Pete’s part ended up being minimized since I didn’t think it added anything to the focus on the relationships. Likewise, a subplot with Jill, who Jared met at a bar that night after he met Brooke on his run, was eliminated entirely and was saved for a possible future story. It briefly touched on Jared’s situation as discussed above as he commiserated with Jill over her discovery of her husband’s infidelity and her doubts on where she was going in her life. It might have added good background and a possible extra sex scene but it would have added an extra page to an already long story and would have strayed too far from the theme song of the challenge.

.

Ashley is tricked by her mother into abusing his love and then flies off the handle when she learns of the new relationship, but she eventually repents and, after a while, Jared forgives. He doesn’t try to go after Brooke at that point because he thinks she’s gone to California, back to David, and he doesn’t want to end up in another situation like the one with Jeanie where he got burned so badly.

.

In response to several comments, Brooke’s decision was originally made out of love for Jared in that she didn’t want him to lose Ashley, but that became very selfish when she wasn’t brave enough to reveal the results of their love. I debated this over several months as the story was written and, in the end, it diverged quite significantly from the original outline. In that, Brooke did go to California only to find that Jared’s comment on her being happier with someone closer to her own age was quite the fairy tale, that having common ages in a relationship sometimes has absolutely nothing to do with having happiness.

.

I hope this comment, ahem, essay, helps bring a little more of my creative perspective to the story and helps readers understand it better. That I’m having to write it shows that I’ll need to think more and do a better job writing next time.

.

Thanks again,

.

SC

teedeedubteedeedubover 1 year ago

I don't care what anyone else says, that was a hell of a good read. I enjoy sb103 as a writer, but Jesus, picking nits is for sissies.

silentsoundsilentsoundover 1 year ago

Wish there would have been far more in depth dialog between Brooke and Jared concerning her betrayal in leaving, lying and then hiding his child from him for years. That's serious damage, which the story at least acknowledged, but didn't really work through.

Good story altogether.

Fireguy1956Fireguy1956over 1 year ago

As with all your stories, very entertaining and well written. Worthy of 5 stars!

AngelRiderAngelRiderover 1 year ago

Also, Sbrooks observations and questions are on point. I will add my own question, why the hell do writers create unnecessarily lengthy stories with entirely unlikable and unrelatable characters. The entire story is written from the perspective of an idiot who uses "love" as an excuse for ignoring the obvious, inaction and reveling in misery.

That last sentence basically describes the entire event. Some stories were quite good but others had very similar themes. Maybe a warning that contained something like "the story you are about to read is extremely long and everyone is an asshole or glutton for punishment."

That you put this in LW is unsurprising. Did Randl make the suggestion to everyone who had a story like this to place it elsewhere so that the ratings wouldn't make her event seem like a disaster?

d119b63d119b63over 1 year ago
Excellent story -- many thanks!

Excellent story -- many thanks!

blackrandl1958blackrandl1958over 1 year ago

Very nice story, Mr. Crossfire. Thank you for writing. All the stars. Randi.

blackrandl1958blackrandl1958over 1 year ago

@angelrider: Yeah, 12 red Hs, 700,000 views and 2000 comments in a week is a total fucking disaster. How my ass tastes, bitch? Randi.

AnotherChapterAnotherChapterover 1 year ago

Just noted that Angelrider has not written or posted one single thing on this site! So typical! The trolls all come out and none of them have the talent to wipe their own noses, never mind write something to share with us. To both Southern Crossfire and blackrandl1958 I say keep up the good work and ignore the idiots who’s only contribution to Lit is to spew garbage. Well written story.

servant111servant111over 1 year ago

Yet another simply outstanding love story from one of my very favorite authors!!

Very well done. 5 stars

KenfromIndyKenfromIndyover 1 year ago

A good read - storyline, characters dialogue all well written. Most importantly I was entertained throughout the reading so full marks achieved and 5 stars earned.

Wow some hate it but seems more like / entertained in the comments I read! Randi definitely had facts to back up statements on writing on this event not sure about Angelriders and Sbrooks opinions. To me opinions are like assholes we all have one they all stink but some like to show them and pretend otherwise 😁. Since I have never posted a story my highest writing is comments. I look for the positives and try to learn to maybe one day get idea enough to write. Which I know looks easy but is damn hard to achieve anything good!

Please do keep writing and don’t let any opinion get you down and I will keep reading.

KenfromIndyKenfromIndyover 1 year ago

Thanks SC for the added comment i didn’t go down enough to see it. It adds depth to the story and your writing of it. A sincere thank you for sharing I really appreciate the perspective and thoughtfulness you used to create this story. Good luck and look forward to your next posting.

silentsoundsilentsoundover 1 year ago

Who crapped in AngelRider's Cheerios???

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Jared is a FUCKING WEIRDO that shouldn't be allowed with 500ft. of a school, a church or any such dwelling where human beings live or congregate!! No wonder why his wife left him. Serious, what a toolbag, no shit

Tall78701Tall78701over 1 year ago

Based on previous comments and the overall length of the story, I predetermined that I wouldn’t like it. However, to my surprise, after the first two pages, I was sucked in. It is a well written and very sweet tale. I’m no category Nazi, as I’ve certainly been criticized by them myself. But just a thought, the story does qualify as a Romance, as it has a HEA (happy ever after) ending. And due to the length, it could also rate as a Novella. As for the writing, there were a few typos – “in to” for “into” and a “bathroom” for “bathrobe.” Those are minor. But your writing style that bugged me was your use of the word “too.” You typed “, too,” (comma-too-comma)43 times and “, too.” (comma-too-period) an additional 19 times. The term “too” is an adverb, most commonly used as a preposition. You are using it as a conjunction, which I don’t believe is grammatically correct. Other than that, a charming story.

SouthernCrossfireSouthernCrossfireover 1 year agoAuthor

Thanks to everyone who's read this story and to those who've commented since my first response. This story is in Mature, not Loving Wives, since the difference in Jared and Brooke's ages was the focus, not Jeanie's actions.

.

I've responded privately in detail to the comment about my use of the word "too." In case anyone else is interested, I'll post part of it here with some modifications.

.

"Too" was used correctly but its usage seems rather excessive based on the numbers presented. It is an adverb, not a preposition nor a conjunction, though it can be used to emphasize a point and allow a sentence to continue after a comma. A comma is used before "too" for emphasis and is always used before and after the word when used for that emphasis in the middle of a sentence (i.e., but not in modifying an adjacent adverb or adjective like "he liked her too much" or "it was too hard"). It is often used before too at the end of a sentence, more commonly on longer sentences where the too will be emphasizing some point and less commonly, or even rarely, on short sentences. Grammarly was one that noted that the comma can often be left off before a final too on most sentences, but even it notes that one should look at whether emphasis is intended.

.

All that said, I appreciate the comment. Such comments help point out things I've missed and can help make me a better writer so please keep them coming. Thanks!

Tall78701Tall78701over 1 year ago

I’m sorry, but I must respond to the “Anonymous” post of 12/23/22. All the characters in this story are adults. So, how you could fawn such pseudo-disgust over a divorced man falling in love with a woman 20 years his junior astonishes me. This is a sweet story of true love, lost-found-lost and finally found again. If you don’t like stories of genuine human emotion, warts and all, I suggest you try the Hallmark Channel.

NicealloverNicealloverover 1 year ago

I thought the beginning was a bit too cheesy for my liking. There is always something that feels wrong when there’s a big age difference between two people in love. Love and caring about each other includes what are you feeling when I’m 65 and you’re 45? They needed to adress that more. Still it got better when the author introduced a conflict with Ashley. Then the reality of what they were doing was different and in perspective. The ending was much better than I thought it would be. Lastly, Jeanie didn’t seem to show remorse for her betrayal of Jared. I would have liked to see her reveal her own personal story and her unhappiness with her life.

oldtwitoldtwitover 1 year ago

Quite a long story bit to Mr goody 2 shoes for me, you did keep it going at the same pace with nicely written characters. It did make me feel that what kids today think and act like, I hope that they all don’t act like that in the USA , they don’t all act like that in the UK but it did make me wonder how self pitying a lot of under 30 kids are.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

SC, I personally feel that your previous response, explanation and apology in the comment section was totally unnecessary. While I respect the right of those commenting to express their respective view(s), I do not understand the need of some to do so in a confrontational and demeaning manner. If they only understood their comments lessen their credibility and do not warrant a 1 star rating.

Myself, I enjoyed the story, regardless of the category to which it was assigned. 5 star, and thank you for sharing.

G

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Romantic, Tragic, but excellent

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

4yrs was too long to meet Caitlyn.....so was she ever going to let him know about his daughter.....what a bitch, the accident was her Karma!!!

ironman1017ironman1017about 1 year ago

I really liked the story, except that Brooke, and her sister, didn’t tell Jared that she was pregnant with his daughter, then had the audacity to keep it a secret which prevented him from being there for her birth, all her firsts, etc. The sisters should have suffered a lot more for such a selfish and inexcusable decision. I really wish we could’ve seen more guilt and remorse on Brooke’s end for how she handled that situation, maybe after Jared left the hospital after finding out the truth about his “new” daughter. Otherwise it was a good story. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Jet2912Jet2912about 1 year ago

I really like your style of writing, but I not a fan of jumping around as in " Valentine's Day Dance". I'm waiting for more of your work.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago
boring

I skimmed a lot. All these characters are idiots.

SouthernCrossfireSouthernCrossfireabout 1 year agoAuthor

Author's Response:

Thanks to all who've read and commented. Thanks, too, to all who've enjoyed the story for the most part but hated what Brooke did to Jared and their daughter. No, Souvik (thank you for the PMs) and any others who might think so, this wasn't intended as some personal belief on my part or some evil statement about how fathers should be denied access to their kids; her terrible decision was actually a plot point to raise the stakes and set up the drama of the rest of the story. Perhaps Brooke should have been shown agonizing over her poor decision to better show her remorse but I decided against it since the story was told from Jared's perspective, since the story showed the trouble they went through as a result, and based on how the story turned out. I hope most will feel the end result was worth it and realize that Brooke knows she made a stupid decision and that she will spend the rest of their lives together making sure nothing like that happens again.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Interesting comment from the author. I thought the story was just about perfect and so true to life. People are flawed human beings, but when there is unselfish love and forgiveness life is beautiful, just like in the story.

RocketMan12RocketMan12about 1 year ago

A little dragged out. Story was good but it to long to get to the predictable ending.

StruckwrongStruckwrong9 months ago

It was a particularly bad decison by Brooke. When you take the time gone by.

I mean she wasn't portrayed as stupid and sure while upset

for a while but the conclusion should have forced it's way into a decent pysche.

inka2222inka22229 months ago

It was well written as a technical writing excercise, but 1 star for shitty characters. You painted the male as brainless spineless halfwit wimp who is a woman's fairytale dream with his unquestioning dumbfuck love and forgiveness and willingness to give second and third chances to evil fuckheads, and gives in all the time with zero pride.

..

And every - EVERY - single female is a heatless selfish piece of shit who is perfectly happy to backstab him, hurt him, and doesn't give a flying fuck about his feelings, pain or well being. LITREALLY EVERY NAMED FEMALE OVER AGE OF 5. His ex wife. His so-called "daughter" (who if she had a shred of decency or honor would COMPLETELY cut out her cheating skank mommy out of her life just as she was happily willing to cut out her father). Piece of shit Brooke. Brooke's disgusting sister and mother who felt it perfectly OK to enable and aid her in separating his child from him.

..

99% chance, the new wife will be cheating on him as soon as something isn't perfect in the marriage. And again he'll take it and forgive her and suffer because he lacks a brain, like a good little puppet for females.

inka2222inka22229 months ago

And a note to the author - if you don't want the readers to believe that you agree with the female's decisions (all of them), maybe you should spend at least SOME of those numerous pages/paragraphs/words of the story punishing them for the bad things they did. As it is, LITERALLY NONE of the shit women suffered at all, whatsoever (OK, Brooke's accident may be written off as karmic punishment but the author doesn't give even a small hint it's intended as such as opposed to an excuse to bring her back into his life).

Ravey19Ravey199 months ago

Thought this was better than the rating. People are idiotic and do stupid things but I thought the characters were well documented and thought out. Thoroughly enjoyable.

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbiman7 months ago

Sorry, the story got stupid when Ashley blew up at her Dad and Brooke, then just wasn't any good after that. I do like "where the buffalo roam" and the last story.

DadieODadieO5 months ago

Though it was pretty good i understand Ashley reaction but J should stood up and put her down. Stayed with B. That's alright they got there in the end. Age don't mean shit 12yrs difference between me and mine married 53yrs.

Buster2UBuster2U3 months ago

10 Big Blazing Stars for an EPIC Story, perfect for the HallMark Channel. WHOA, Ashely destroys her Dad's relationship with Brooks and is proud of herself. Consigning her Father to years of loneliness because she is a self-centered asshole like her Mother. Then Brooke was Destroyed by her friend Ashley's threats completely betraying Jared and hiding that she had Caitland from him. Hurting him even more. If I was Jared I'd just eat a bullet, because all the women in his life that pretend to love him do everything that they can to hurt him the worst that they can. Especially his ex-wife Jeannie. That twat Ashley caused her father more hurt than anyone else. Missing the first 4 years of your childs life all because of her childish and asshole attititude. I would remove Ashley from my life first, if I was Jared.

LOL Great Writing, Great Effort. Great Plot, Great Drama. Great Job, thanks, Buster2U

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

I enjoyed the story, though Jared's character was uncomfortably relatable in places. I appreciated the character development of the major characters, particularly the vulnerability of Jared and the empathy for him that was engendered. He is a hapless and likeable character who struggles to see how he is being used and abused by those around him. Even the women who supposedly "love" him (excluding his ex-wife) are ready to betray him. Ashley got off far too lightly, particularly after her dummy spit at Christmas. Brianna could have saved him a lot of heartache if only she had a soul but my main criticism is of Brook, who fails him at every turn, she lied about being "safe" she lied when she said she was giving him room to sort it out with Ashley and she aided and abated Brianna in her lie about California. Worst of all, she cheated him out of precious years with his baby. I can't help but wonder if she would have ever told him about Caitlan but for the accident. Given Jared's paranoia about being hurt again, did it ever cross his mind that he only found out about the baby because of the accident? SC, was that line of thought ever on your storyboard?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

The type of Romance that leaves the reader feeling relaxed and oh s happy.

The Hoary Cleric

AnonymousAnonymous6 days ago

Thank you for the story. Age doesn't have to be an issue; once I was in love with a beautiful woman 18 years my senior, another with a woman 18 years my junior. I felt lucky in both cases!

somewhere east of Omaha

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userSouthernCrossfire@SouthernCrossfire
4/4/24 Update: "Crossed Paths," a story of old friends reuniting, was recently published for the Wicked Games challenge, in which everything isn't as it seems. Hope you'll read and enjoy! If you're looking for something older, you might try "The Valentine's Dance," a late 1...

SIMILAR Stories