All Comments on 'A Gift in Disguise Ch. 02'

by Talespin

Sort by:
  • 6 Comments
sftspokenloudlyherdsftspokenloudlyherdalmost 13 years ago

You have sucked me into your world. I am eager to see what happens to Tom, and the two lovely doctors...

rightbankrightbankalmost 11 years ago
why so big a difference

in the actual text of the ending to chapter 01 and the summary given of it at the start of chapter 02?

IlliterateScholarIlliterateScholarabout 4 years ago
Technical issues...

I don't know if anyone else has commented about this or not, but it is physically impossible to invent a "wireless EKG". The EKG measures the potential electrical difference between two points on the body in several places. That means that there would have to be wires connecting the leads together for it to work. That doesn't mean it couldn't be made wireless between the leads and the box that shows the readings and/or collects the data for review, just that there would be wires connecting the test leads to each other. In a 12-lead EKG, 10 points are physically tested on the body, and two virtual test points are calculated using the readings between multiple other points. Some of the test points are probably only connected to a single other point, but some would be connected to multiple others. In any case, you'd have a mess of wires strung across your chest.

So, until we can beam electricity through the air in such a way that it has microvolt accuracy, we won't be able to develop a fully wireless 12-lead EKG. Interestingly enough, there is a wireless two-lead EKG called Kardia, but it has two test points on a flat plastic bar (wired together internally) that you touch with the tips of your index and middle fingers of both hands. It uses ultrasound to wirelessly transmit the readings to your phone's microphone and graphs it out in the app. It is not as accurate as a regular EKG (mainly because it uses ultrasound and depends on your phone's microphone instead of a bi-directional transmission protocol like Bluetooth, but I guess they chose ultrasound because it would use much less battery power), and it lacks a great deal of the information a 12-lead EKG can give a doctor, but it is "good enough" and is specifically designed to test for A-fib.

Other than that, I think the story is great. :)

ImakewetspotsImakewetspots4 months ago

I enjoyed this second part. Well written and lots of build up. Looking forward to starting the next chapter.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

"She is the mother of a son who's 19 and a daughter who's 20, both in college. Since the birth of her last child, her daughter..."

Ummm...wouldn't that make the DAUGHTER the younger child?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

A colon cleanse was overkill. A simple enema would have sufficed.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous