A Hunting We Shall Go: Wendel

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"What do you still have to do?"

"I was going to make up the bed and stow away the linens. I'm still trying to fit in all our clothes. I've only put in our heavy stuff but they still take a lot of room. You want to do the bathroom?"

"Okay, just as soon as I finish this coffee. When are you doing the kitchen?"

"Tomorrow night after supper. Don't worry we'll be ready by Friday night. Have you decided to pull out tomorrow night?"

"I've been debating on it. If we leave late it shouldn't be too bad on the roads. I suppose the rest who are leaving then are going around suppertime. They'll be right in the rush. That's crazy. I guess we'll wait for Frank and them on Saturday morning."

"Yeah, I think it's best."

They finish up in the trailer and go for supper. After supper they all relax in the living room and play kid games with the kids. It's Parcheesi, checkers and Snakes and Ladders time until Jan starts yawning, then it's showers time and getting the kids off to bed. After they're in bed Marlene and Mike sit on the couch together to watch the news.

Friday morning it's raining. After breakfast and Marlene leaves with the kids for school, Mike calls Trudy.

"Hi kid, anything new in the mail?"

"Got an inquiry re a Workman's Compensation claim they feel might be bogus. Came by fax. I faxed them back that we'd take it. It's in Rosedale. I also got another list of skippers from a new client. Sears! Can you imagine that? Oh yes, and I've put together a new flyer. I'm faxing it to you now. That's about it."

"Good, all I have in my mail is bills. I haven't called ABC Security yet. They might have something. Are you ready to take over here early Saturday?"

"I figured if I got there just before eight I wouldn't have to play the drudge too long for Marlene. You'll probably be leaving by nine, I guess."

"Sounds good. Chuck will be here and I'll introduce you guys. Marlene says she hopes you two get it on while we're away. That's her way of saying she suspects we're messing around. She is always suspicious of any female I work with. Maybe we should encourage her to think you two did hit it off. What do you think?"

"Well, I'll have to look him over first."

"I'm not suggesting you do! I'm just suggesting we lead Marlene to believe that. What does it matter how he looks?"

"If he ain't a catch, she'll never believe it. Gee, you're so touchy. Maybe he's got a better disposition than you." She giggles.

"That isn't funny. I think I hear the station wagon. I'll see you in the morning. You take care because I love you, kid."

"Me too, see ya."

When Marlene comes in he's talking to ABC Security. They have a fire investigation for him. He tells them he'll be by before lunch to look it over. Police and Fire Marshall have stated the cause of the blaze is unknown. The Fire Marshall's office usually does a pretty meticulous investigation of their own. In this case they were backlogged and did a cursory job on this one. The insurance company is asking for a check. It was a new home in the Clayburn area. He figures he'll let Charlie take a look at it. He might come up with something, especially if he consults with Trudy. She's really good at digging out unknown facts on claimants.

"Did I hear you talking with ABC? Have they got anything?"

"A fire investigation. I'll let Chuck and Trudy play with it. They may come up with something. I'll go over and pick up the file this morning."

"Did you get the mail? Was there anything from Nina and Jeff?"

"Just bills. You expecting a letter?"

"I thought she might write."

"Guess I'll go over to ABC now. I'm taking the station wagon. O.K.?" She nods.

Mike spends an hour at ABC Security, much of it chatting with the boss. They start in talking hunting and end up talking trucks and pickups. When Mike gets home it's nearly noon. He picks up the phone and calls Ken Drydon.

"Mike. You just caught me as I was trying to sneak out of here for an early lunch. If I wait until twelve there'll be six people outside waiting to see me. What's up?"

"I just picked up a fire investigation claim that has your signature on it as the investigating police officer. Like to give me the low down over lunch?"

"Great. I was going to the Davy Crocket. O.K. with you?"

"Just a minute." He covers the phone and asks Marlene, "What's for lunch? Can I ask Ken over to join us?"

"I can put together something. Go ahead."

Mike speaks into the phone again, "Care to take your chances at our kitchen. Marlene says she's going to throw something together."

"Don't want to put you people out there."

"No bother. We have to eat, too, you know. Come on over."

"All right, I'll be about twenty minutes."

"See you, then."

He gets off the phone and says, "Twenty minutes. What you got in mind?"

"Scat out of my kitchen. I'm busy."

Mike goes to read the paper and about fifteen minutes later he peeks out to the kitchen and sees the table set for three. He smiles and looks mystified but happy. It's close to another ten minutes before Ken pulls into the drive. Mike meets him at the front door.

Ken says, "When did you get the trailer and where's your convert?"

"Going hunting and the trailer is Marlene's brother's. He's using the Mustang while I'm using his four by. Come on in. I'll see how lunch is coming."

Just then Marlene steps into the living room from the kitchen, "I though you said twenty minutes. Come on or the asparagus is going to be overcooked. Hi Ken." She blows him a kiss as she returns to the kitchen.

Ken grins and says, "She never changes, does she?"

"Not that I've noticed."

Marlene and Ken had dated prior to her meeting Mike so they are old school friends. They gather around the table and she serves tuna casserole over a crisp leaf of lettuce, asparagus spears with a cheese sauce and potato pancakes. For desert she has vanilla ice cream with cherry sherbet topped by cherry syrup with a dash of Kirsch and a cherry on top. As they enjoy coffee Ken says, "Marlene, your a wonder. How did you whip such a fantastic meal up so quickly? It was superb."

"Easy. We were going to have the potato pancakes anyway; leftovers from last night. I had the tuna casserole all ready for lunch to go with it. All I had to do was come up with another quick cooking veggie."

"That Mike is one lucky guy. If I suggested bringing someone home for lunch without at least three hours notice my wife would kill me."

Mike speaks up, "I tell her she's the best cook in Abbotsford with leftovers. Anyway, I'll get the file for this arson case and we can look at it over coffee."

Mike brings in his briefcase and they go over the file. Ken remembers the case and admits the guy is a friend of his. He recalls that he went easy on him for this reason. He agrees that if Mike finds anything suspicious he will have to detail one of his officers to the case. He won't be able to handle it. He relates the details as he recalls them. Mike makes notes for Chuck and Trudy. Mike thanks Ken for taking the time to go over it with him and Ken has to get back to the office. He leaves and Marlene says, "So even cops ease up on their friends, eh? How come he gave me a ticket last month? I should have asked him."

"He gave you the ticket for your own good. It was his way of trying to get you to slow down in the school zone. Remember?"

"Well, I was in a hurry."

"You sure were."

"Forget it."

Mike goes to put the files away in his office in the basement. He takes the new flyer out of the fax machine and studies it. He makes a few changes, mainly in emphasis, putting a little more punch in the ad and faxes it back to Trudy. He opens bills and sorts them, one pile for Trudy and the Chilliwack business, another for trucking, some to be reimbursed by CPX, some for tax purposes and some to just be paid. He also has a pile for household expenses. When he is nearly finished the fax starts clicking and out comes the new flyer.

He looks it over and smiles. Perfect! He writes this on a sticky note, plasters it on the flyer and faxes it back to Trudy. Then he pulls the sticky note off and takes the new flyer upstairs to show Marlene. She's out in the trailer so he joins her there and she pours him coffee as she looks it over. She nods.

"Trudy put this together, did she?"

"I made a few changes to it but essentially it's her work."

"When did you two work on this?"

"Just now. She faxed me her ideas, I made some changes and faxed it back. Just now she faxed me the finished product."

"If you're done faxing Trudy, maybe you have time to give me a hand out here. I thought you were doing bookwork."

"I was. It came in originally when I was doing the bills."

"Hmmf!"

"What does that mean? Did you call the Butterworth's to get a time for departure tomorrow? The last I heard it was set for around ten from the Cottonwood Mall in front of Zellers."

"I spoke with Sheila on the phone Wednesday and that was what she said. Maybe you better call Frank and see if there has been any changes."

Mike finishes his coffee and goes to call Frank at the store. It takes a few minutes to locate him but he picks up on a phone on the floor and says, "Frank Butterworth here."

"Frank, it's Mike Claymore. I'm just touching base with you here re departure time tomorrow. Still set for ten AM?"

"Ten on the button. We want to get in before dark if we can. After all, it's just a forest camp and I'm not even sure if they have lights this year. They relied on a generator last year but they were supposed to be getting in a line."

"That's good. We'll be there. See you in the morning."

He goes back out to tell Marlene he's called and it was set for ten. They relax in the trailer and try to feel at home until the kids come in from school. Then Marlene goes to put supper on. Mike decides to try out the bed and lies across it. It's not bad and he dozes off to sleep. Shelly comes out to get him for supper. She wants to go and play with some friends so she rushes him along. He lets on he's in no hurry but still manages to beat her into the house. He grins as she berates him for his tardiness.

They sit down to supper and Richard says grace. He dawdles because he knows Shelly's in a hurry. He grins at his Dad when he finishes. Marlene says, "Like father, like son. You don't set a very good example for your son, Mike."

Shelly shakes her head in agreement as she eats her food. Mike just shrugs and nods disapprovingly at Richard when he starts to shrug. They set about eating supper.

After supper Mike helps her with the dishes. He says, "You know, I've been thinking. What you need is a dishwasher. As you get bigger your going to really appreciate one and with another mouth to feed there's no reason why you shouldn't have one. I'll look for a good deal when we get back."

"Are you through trying to get back in my good graces?"

"Why, what ever are you talking about?"

"You and your son. You were trying to tease Shelly and you both overdid it. You have to teach him limits. He looks to you for an example. I don't have to tell you that, you can see it."

"Right. I'll have a word with him. Now, what about that dishwasher? Would you like one?"

"Of course. But it's not necessary. I don't mind doing them up."

"We have the money so why not."

"If we have so much money, why not trade that old Mustang of yours in for a decent car."

"My classic? That is a genuine classic auto! That's my horse, my Mustang. I will never sell that. One day if it goes bad I may have to shoot it, but I'll never sell it."

"Oh Mike, your impossible."

Mike goes down into the basement to check over his fishing gear. When he is satisfied he has everything he wants to take with him he hauls it out to the '92 four by four GMC 'Jimmy' with the Vortec V6 and trailer package. He comes back and goes upstairs for his rifle. He checks it all over, checks the ammo and the trigger lock, loads in the cleaning equipment and hauls it down to the vehicle. The rifle goes into the locked rack and the rest in the back end with the fishing gear.

Marlene is in the trailer just finished with the kitchen. She declares the trailer ready to travel and suggests coffee. They take their cups and make a last minute inspection from front to back. Ending up in the bedroom, Mike suggests she try lying on the bed to see how comfortable it is. She grins and says, "Maybe after we put the kids to bed."

They close the trailer up and go in the house. Mike goes down to his office for a last minute check on everything he has to go over with Trudy and Chuck in the morning. Marlene checks on the kids as Shelly comes in from her friends. She starts the kids on baths. When they are ready for bed she comes down to get Mike to tuck them in. She says, "It's Friday night. It would sure be nice to be able to go over and use Nina and Jeff's hot tub, wouldn't it?"

"It sure would. I miss that soothing hot water. Maybe we should think about getting one."

"Too expensive and I don't think they're safe if you have children."

"Hmmm, I suppose not."

He goes upstairs and tucks the kids in. When he comes down he can't find Marlene until he looks out the kitchen window and notices a light on in the trailer. He goes out and finds her sitting on the bed in a robe. She says, "What are you waiting for? Get your clothes off and get in here." She has a mischievous gleam in her eye as she beckons him with a crooked finger.

Later they close up the trailer for the night and lock it, then steal into the house and up to bed.

CHAPTER THREE:

A HUNTING WE WILL GO

Everyone is up early for a Saturday. Breakfast is underway with all at the table when Trudy arrives. She comes to the front door and knocks then rings the bell. Mike goes to answer it and notices her Sprint out the window before he gets to the door. He opens it and stares. She's dressed as she said she would and she is the dowdiest runt he has ever seen. Crystal is the first to speak. "Mom says to call you Mr. Claymore, Mike. Is that alright?"

Mike grins and says, "You do whatever your mother says. Come in. Both of you." He turns and calls, "It's my secretary and her daughter."

"Crystal!" Shelly comes running with Jan right behind her. They dance around Crystal and the three of them go toward the stairs. Marlene stands in the living room door looking puzzled. Trudy smiles and says, "I guess Mr. Claymore isn't going to introduce us. I'm Trudy Garneau."

Mike starts and says, "I'm sorry, dear this is my secretary from Chilliwack, Ms. Garneau, my wife, Marlene. ... I mean..."

Marlene cuts in, "Nevermind him, I'm pleased to meet you. May I call you Trudy?" As she speaks the three girls come dashing back downstairs and out into the kitchen.

Trudy speaks in a commanding tone, "Crystal! No running in the house. You are not allowed to do that at home and you are definitely not allowed to do it in Mr. and Mrs. Claymore's home."

Crystal comes back into the living room and looks downcast. The other two stand in the kitchen and watch. Shelly whispers to Jan and they giggle. Marlene swings on them and says, "You two get in here. This is Trudy and you are to mind her the same as you would me. Is that understood?" She turns back to Mike and says with an edge in her voice, "How come they know each other?"

"I don't know dear, unless maybe through school sports meets or something like that. In this day and age it might be they've seen each other on the internet. I understand the schools are using it a lot."

Marlene turns on the girls and says, "Where did you meet Crystal?"

Together they say, "At the Flintstone Park."

Marlene looks more puzzled than ever. "When?"

Shelly says, "In the spring when we went for a picnic to the falls. You remember. You went with Rick and we went with Daddy. Crystal was in the cage with all the balls when we were."

Marlene looks narrowly at Shelly, "And where was Daddy?"

"He was with us outside the cage."

"Alone?"

"I don't remember. There were a lot of people there. Then we went out of the cage and Crystal was gone. Daddy said he didn't see her go. And now she's here. Isn't that something?"

Absently she says, "Yeah, that's something alright."

Trudy says to Mike, "I guess it takes the children to show us what a small world it is, Mr. Claymore. I'm glad they know her. Maybe they won't think of me as a stranger, that way."

"Uh, right! That's nice. Why don't you join us in the kitchen. Have you had your breakfast already?"

Marlene says, "Yes, please come in. Won't you have something with us?"

Trudy looks around and says, "We've had ours. What a nice place you have here, Mrs. Claymore. You go ahead and finish your breakfast. We can just rest here on the couch until your done."

Marlene: "Oh please, join us for a cup of coffee, at least."

"Thank you, Mrs. Claymore. That does sound good." As the women go to the kitchen Mike studies Trudy's profile. He thinks she has gained about thirty five pounds. How did she manage that, he wonders? He follows them to the kitchen and hears Trudy saying, "...and drop her off so she can go to school. Dear Cookie will look out for her. She's my right-hand. I don't know what I'd do without her. I'll have to go down and see her a few times each week, of course. Two weeks would strain our friendship, I'm afraid. But we'll manage." She sips on her coffee and Marlene looks towards Mike with a secret grin. Mike looks back blankly. He sits down to finish his breakfast.

Marlene says, "So what does Cookie think of Mike?"

Trudy giggles and says, "Sometimes he tries to ...sort of fool around with me..." Mike chokes on his food. "...and she gets real mad, but most of the time she seems to like him."

Marlene chuckles as she thumps Mike on the back. Crystal gives her mother a black look and she nods back to be quiet. She sips on her coffee. Marlene can't take it any more and says, "Mike, you need a breath of fresh air. Come outside with me." He follows her out the side door and she laughs, "Why didn't you tell me?"

He looks blankly at her again and says, "What?"

"You don't know, do you?"

"Huh?"

"Her and Cookie!"

"What about them?"

"They're gay, you idiot. She's been working for you for six month's and you haven't figured that out. Didn't you suspect when you tried to put the moves on her, you egotistical idiot. She wasn't playing hard to get, she's a lesbian! Oh Mike, sometimes I wonder about you. Who's that pulling up out front. Is that Chuck?"

"Uh, yeah, that's Charlie alright. I'll introduce you. Come on." He shakes his head and mutters, "Gay?", as they go out front. She just chuckles and walks with him to meet the tall dark man coming their way. Charlie and Mike could be brothers except Mike is clean shaven, while Charlie has a large mustache and heavy eyebrows. He has a rounder face and a ruddy complexion compared to Mike's overall tanned look.

As they come up to him, Charlie extends his hand to Marlene and says, "Ye must be Marlene, lass, an a see why he niver let me meet yea afore now. Yea're a mighty pretty one, and that's the truth." He shakes her hand with a sparkle in his eye.

She laughs and says, "Your Scotch, alright, but I think you have a touch of the Irish blarney in you, and that's the truth. It's nice to meet you, Charlie McBain."

Mike chuckles and says, "I knew you two would get along famously. Your sure getting off to a good start. Come in, Chuck, and join us for coffee. I'll introduce you to my secretary. She's just arrived from Chilliwack. That's her Sprint there in the drive."

He grins and say, "Bah! A little sissy car, that one."

Marlene shakes her head emphatically and starts to laugh again as they go to the side door. As they go up into the kitchen Trudy is laying down some ground rules with Richard. He turns to catch his Dad's eye and Mike just shrugs. He sighs and listens to her tirade. She stops and turns to them. "Hi, you must be Chuck. I'm Trudy. Nice to meet you. Let's get some business out of the way. Shall we go down to the office?" She turns and heads for the stairs. Mike looks at Charlie and he looks back with a grin, "Now a kin how she makes things happen. Lead the way."