A Hunting We Shall Go: Wendel

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Meanwhile the ladies have agreed to pool the cooking for breakfasts and suppers in the shelter. Lunches will be left to see who's available each day at noon. Peggy Cope takes the lead quickly in telling everyone what they should be doing. As Assistant Store Manager, she's used to taking charge. Of course, Marlene and Vera Brown are also strong minded individuals, but they defer to Peggy for the time being and sit back to wait and see how things go. They hit up an instant friendship and chat together apart from the rest.

Marlene says, "Glad I don't work in their damn store."

"Me too. She'd give me the creeps. What surprises me is the way Frank's wife kitties to her. We'll see how long that lasts."

"Sheila's no mouse but I'd say Frank definitely wears the pants in that family. Now that Emily's the mouse. What a bore."

"Yeah, she's the oddball in that group, alright. So, your husband drives truck, I hear?"

"That and criminal investigations. He has a security business but drives for CP Express and Transport for the added income. The security business is so sporadic."

"I heard he solved that murder of that hooker in Port Coquitlam last spring. I didn't think they were talking about the same guy. He must never be home."

"He's on the road a lot, but sometimes that's just as well. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, they say."

"As long as absence doesn't make the heart wander, I guess. I don't know if I'd let Fred out of my sight that much or not. I don't think I'd be comfortable with it."

"What does Fred do, Vera?"

"Import/Export business in Vancouver. We live in Langley so he's only thirty minutes from the office. We're out at Maple Grove, actually, but they still haven't incorporated so they call it Langley. We're right at the freeway exit there. The business is down near the harbor but his office is in Burnaby. He seldom has to go down to the offices in the warehouse downtown.

"Any kids?"

"Two teenagers, Mike and Cathy, eighteen and sixteen."

"We've got three and I'm trying for another one. The youngest just started school this fall. The oldest is ten."

"You want to have another one?"

"I'd like to have one more. ...and it livens up our sex life to be trying for another." She grins.

Vera glances over at the men and says, "It must be pretty good anyway with that hunk."

"I'm not complaining!"

"I'll bet."

The hunters break up and Mike comes over to Vera and Marlene. "Well, when do we eat, ladies?"

Vera grins at Marlene and says quietly, "Now he wants to eat ladies. Does he do that often?"

"I'll never tell!" and to Mike, "What would you like?"

Mike winks and says, "Your friend there seems to have caught the right drift." He nods towards their trailer. Immediately Vera heads towards their trailer with Marlene. Mike is close behind. Marlene shrugs as she walks at Mike's questioning look. Vera chuckles as she turns aside at the Brown's trailer. Looking over her shoulder she says, "Have fun, guys." Mike and Marlene laugh as they go on to their trailer.

"Hook up the barbecue and I'll bring out some wieners for hot dogs. I have a potato salad in the fridge and buns in the freezer. Will that do?"

"Sounds great. Anything will do." He digs the barbecue out and hooks up a propane cylinder to it. He starts it and sets it to low. He drops down the cover then goes inside. "We eating in here or do you want me to set up our portable picnic table?"

"Let's eat in here; here's the wieners and buns."

Mike takes the wieners and puts four on the grill. Marlene comes out with two cold beers. "Might as well enjoy these today. You won't be going hunting until morning." Mike thanks her and settles back in a lawn chair. He jumps up occasionally to turn the wieners and when they are fat to bursting with ridges burned into them he pops the buns into a higher rack in the barbecue lid. Marlene puts down her beer to run inside and get a platter for the hot dogs. Mike turns off the grill and they take hot lunch inside to the table. They park side by side so they can watch out the front window at what is happening in the campground.

Mike says with his mouth full, "That Vera is quite a card. You two hit it off awfully fast. She carries herself like a confident self possessed woman. Is that what brought you together? Like minds and all that?"

"I suppose. Have you been looking her over?"

"No! I just noted what anyone could see. I don't chase every skirt around."

"Unless you find a reason, ...like Nina, eh?"

Mike lets that pass without comment. They finish their lunch. After lunch Mike enjoys a cup of coffee and wanders over to help Wayne uncover his boat. "Going out fishing this afternoon?"

"I was thinking of it. Care to join me?"

Mike assembles his fly-fishing gear and helps Wayne launch his boat down at the lake. They go out to catch some supper. Wayne ends up having all the luck. He pulls in three nice size rainbow trout. He joshes Mike as they come in late in the afternoon but says, "We did alright; one for supper and one each for the freezer. Let's go and clean them."

When they get back up to the camp Marlene informs them that supper will be under the shelter. She suggests they put all three in the freezer and have the one for lunch tomorrow. They go about getting them gutted and cleaned, then pack them in the freezer. After washing up they go to join the group under the shelter. Someone has put a fire on in the big fireplace and the air is full of the rich aroma of cooking food. The men sit back at the tables farthest from the fire to smoke and chat while the ladies lay out clothes on the tables nearest the fireplace and start heaping food on them. As more and more food appears Mike wonders how they will eat all that, but when everyone is called to eat, it soon disappears. It's their first meal as a group and a lot of chatter goes on around the tables. Those who have not got a chance to meet others in the group, finally get that opportunity.

After supper all remain around the fireplace with coffee. Barry explains he has spotted some game trails above the camp in the afternoon and Wendel says he was down around the marsh by the lake and saw tracks. Frank explains the lay of the land. Above them is another small creek that feeds down into the marsh and lake the same as Twan Creek, the one they followed in. He suggests that since they have six hunting parties going out in the morning, it might be an idea for one party each side of the two creeks and the last two go around the lake. Everyone agrees it might be a good starting point for the first day, then tomorrow night they can decide if they want to change the strategy for the next day. They draw straws for the lake. Short straws go to Marvin and John Cope, as well as Frank, Philip and Fred. Marvin and John will start one side of the lake while Frank's party will work the other side. Next shortest straws are for Twan Creek. Barry and Wayne draw these, so Mike and Wayne will work one side of the creek, while Barry and John Currie will work the other. The last two teams of the Blakes will work the upper creek. Wendel, Dave and Randy Brown huddle with David and Kitten to decide who will work which side and plan strategy.

Marlene snuggles up close to Mike as he talks with Wayne about working their way up Twan Creek. "We check where the creek empties into the lake in that bit of marsh and work our way up looking for tracks, eh?"

"I think that would be a good idea. It would be nice if we could be the first ones to get down in around that marsh. Might spot something there early."

Barrie and John Currie come over to the table. Barrie says, "We'd like to work the near side of the creek. Can you guys take the far side? Frank says there's a log and footpath about two miles up."

Mike speaks, "We were just planning how to work the near side. If you guys have instructions to find the crossing, why don't you work the far side?"

"I got a moose permit. I'd like to work around that marsh early."

"That's what we were planning. Wayne has a moose permit, too. If you head up the road along the creek and cross over we might just drive one up to you."

"Sure, if you don't shoot it first! I'd like first crack at it, if there is one."

"That's the thing. We don't even know if there are tracks down there. It's just the first morning out. What does it matter?" He looks at Wayne. Wayne shrugs and says, "We can cross over. What the hell, if there is anything, everyone down by the lake will scare them up to us anyway."

They decide that's how they'll work it. Mike notices David and Kitten have switched from beer to hard stuff over at their table and shakes his head. John Currie glances where he's looking and does the same. He says, "I'm glad I'm not hunting with that pair." They all shake their heads in agreement.

The fire is dying down in the big fireplace and Marlene is snuggling closer as the night air cools their backs. There is a definite chill in the air and a stillness that bespeaks a possibility of snow. Couples drift away from the group heading home to their rigs.

Marlene whispers, "Shouldn't we be heading back to our nest? Morning comes early, you know." She blows on his neck and ear.

Mike grins at Wayne and says, "I guess we better turn in. Thump on my trailer if you're up before me."

Wayne says, "Right. You do the same. See you in the morning."

Marlene and Mike walk through the wet grass with their arms around each other, slowly winding their way back to the trailer in the dark. The oil lamp Marlene has left turned down on their picnic table beckons with a flickering light.

Marlene turns on one small lamp inside the trailer as Mike puts out the oil lamp and comes in to join her. Within ten minutes the lamp is turned off and they cuddle together between the cold sheets. Mike does his best to warm her up so that soon she's hot and so is he. Their love making is pleasant and homey, two familiar lovers seeking to please each other, each knowing what brings the greatest fulfillment to the other. Still cuddled close and coupled, they drift off to sleep.

CHAPTER FOUR:

THE HUNT

Monday in the wee hours a light skiff of snow descends on the Cariboo country and the hunters awake to find about half an inch of light powder blowing around the camp. Before the sun is up water bottles and water lines in trailers are checked but it hasn't been that far below freezing to cause any problems. A hot fire is blazing in the fireplace and men appear in heavy clothes with rifles to crowd around it. Women bustle to lay on breakfast and men eat while checking scopes and ammunition. There is a flurry of activity but very little noise to frighten away any game in the area. One of the women who went for water from the lake has said there are all kinds of tracks by the lake in the fresh snow so the men are anxious to get going. They gulp down hot coffee and begin to depart in their groups.

Quickly Wayne and Mike head up the entrance road and watch for the game trail that will take them to the fallen log across Twan Creek. They find it about two and a quarter miles up from the camp and cross over watching for signs of game. Almost immediately Wayne spots a mule deer in the brush. He cautions Mike and points ahead. Mike can't see anything at first, but the deer moves and he picks it out. It's in a open spot directly between them and the camp. He shakes his head and signals for Wayne to veer off to the right then follows quietly.

When next they spot it, it has its head up looking around. It's caught their scent and is jumpy as it moves into some brush. Cautiously they creep forward to the brush but can tell by the time they find the tracks that it's long gone. They debate over trailing it or heading back towards the lake. Half obscure tracks seem to indicate it came this way to go down to the lake along with a second one. They decide to head towards the lake and keep their senses alert. Quietly they work their way down along the creek as the sun shows weakly in the east and lights the treetops around them. Around nine thirty they hear a shot then another rings out from above the camp.

Wayne mutters, "The game has moved away from the lake and back up the hill. Someone got one along the upper creek."

Shortly another shot is heard from across the lake. They are about halfway to the lake so they listen. Nothing. There are lots of trails in the fresh snow but nothing is coming their way. They move farther down the creek and hear another shot from across the lake about a mile from the last.

Mike says, "Probably wounded and tracked that one. Who's on the far side of the lake?"

"I think it's Frank's party, isn't it?

"Yeah, Frank, Fred and Philip."

They follow a promising side trail of tracks to an outcropping of rock that is windswept and lose the trail. On the far side they pick it up again and keep alert. Fresh droppings seem to indicate a fairly large mule deer close by. Soon they are into more rock and an open area with patches of grass that have been grazed. When they reach the far side of this open clearing they cannot find any trail and each works his way back around the patch looking for tracks. They meet and neither has found the exit trail. "Must have stuck to rock under the trees out one side or the other. Want to circle the rocks again?"

"O.K."

They work their way around the rocks again but come up empty. They decide to head back to the creek and down towards the lake. By the time they reach the lake they have spotted a lot more tracks but no game. They poke around the area where the creek empties into the lake then head back upstream. It's midmorning now and they don't expect to find much, but keep alert in case they might be lucky.

By the time they get back to the camp it's near noon. Frank's group is packing meat from around the lake. They got a mule deer but nobody says anything about who winged it. Whoever it was, they had to track it to finish it off. They don't ask for any help packing the meat in so Wayne and Mike get coffee and sit down with Marvin Nickols and John Cope.

Mike asks, "Who got the deer across the lake?"

John shrugs and says, "They're not saying. I think they had to trail it to finish it off. The women will know tonight." He grins. "You can't hide anything from them."

The guys all chuckle. The Blakes come into camp from above. Randy nailed a two-year deer and they're looking for help. The four guys in camp go back up to help them and run across David and Kitten coming in. Kitten's swearing and says, "Tomorrow we get the lake. Nothing but brush and ravines up there."

They don't offer to accompany the group going up for Randy's deer. They just head on into camp. The guys all joke about the two fearless hunters as they follow Wendel and Randy. Soon they find Dave Ferguson with the deer. They get to work on it and soon have it gutted. They work away for about two hours before getting back to camp for lunch. It's now after two so they head down to a private spot Frank told them about where they can skinny dip and clean up. No one goes in the water for long. It's ice cold but they all get clean.

Back in camp Marlene has a cold lunch ready for Mike and Wayne. They eat at their portable picnic table under their tarp. Mike says, "I'm going to suggest we rotate clockwise tomorrow with our crews. Maybe we can find something up in those ravines Kitten is belly aching about. Randy did it on the other side of the upper creek."

"Yeah, that'd be fair and Kitten would be happy. That would put the Blake groups on the lake. Good idea. I'll back you on that one. We'll get the lake day after tomorrow. Want to go fishing again this afternoon?"

"Sure. It sounds great. Do you mind, Honey?"

Marlene says, "No. Go ahead. It's nearly time for us ladies to start supper anyway. Don't be late."

At supper Mike makes his suggestion about rotating the hunting parties and everyone likes the idea. They all turn in early tonight and Mike drops off to sleep as soon as he hits the mattress. Marlene thinks, "Just you wait until morning. You won't get out of this sack without getting into me first." She goes to sleep with a smile on her face.

Over breakfast Carol complains about Wendel not letting her get any sleep. Marlene whispers to Mike, "Your younger than Wendel. How come you don't keep me up half the night?"

Mike glances over at Carol and says, "He's trying to impress her. She must be six years younger than him. He'll wear out." Overhearing him, Wayne chuckles. "Didn't you know our Wendel is a dynamo in the sack?" He quietly adds, "Just ask Marilyn ...but not in front of her husband." He grins.

Marlene leans ahead and stares at Wayne, "He's fooling around with Marilyn?"

"About four days of the week when he works late and so does she. You'll find them in the first aid room in the sack. I saw them once or I wouldn't believe the rumor, myself."

Marlene mutters, "Marilyn and Wendel? I wonder if John has any idea? I doubt it but I'll bet Carol knows what's going on. That's probably why she's making such a deal out of his attentions during the night. To get under Marilyn's skin." Sure enough she looks around for Marilyn and sees her glaring at Carol. Her husband, John is busy eating breakfast.

This morning is cold but no new snow and the tramping around in the underbrush is difficult because yesterday's prints are everywhere. Shots ring out twice by the lake and at the end of the day, Dave Ferguson has his moose and Wendel has got a deer. They are the only ones with any luck so everyone turns in to help them with their game. Wendel is jubilant and says he's going to get drunk tonight. Everyone enjoys a few beers after supper to loosen up. Mike feels good that they will be working the same area tomorrow as Wendel was today. He feels lucky.

Him and Marlene head to bed shortly after ten and she cuddles and teases him so much that he forgets about sleep. He gets even by teasing, petting, caressing and stretching the foreplay until she comes, then starting all over again. Finally, when she is almost mad with desire he chuckles and says, "Is this what you're looking for?"

As they lay panting and resting after their bout of lovemaking he hears shouting. Mike slips out of bed in the dark closely followed by Marlene and they peer out into the campground from their front window. Wendel is standing outside his trailer hollering something unintelligible. He struts across the open area to a table near the embers in the fireplace under the shelter. It looks like he has a large bottle in his hands and indeed, he tips it up for a drink. He laughs aloud and slaps the bottle down on the table. Suddenly he stands and bends over as if in pain, then heads for the washrooms. Mike sees blurred movement by the can. Mike and Marlene go back to the warmth of the bed. Mike says, "Carol's not getting much tonight, I don't think."

"Don't forget, Marilyn's camper is over near the washrooms."

"Hmmm, I never thought of that."

"It wouldn't surprise me if she isn't suddenly having to go to the can herself. Want to get up and watch?"

"To hell with it. It's too cold. Go to sleep." He draws her close for warmth and soon is sleeping. Marlene lays thinking for a while and drifts off to sleep, too.

In the morning Marlene and Mike note that Marilyn is in a bright cheerful mood as she helps with the breakfast and they grin at each other. Wendel and Carol are not out for breakfast but Carol comes as they are finishing and talks with Frank. He shrugs as he speaks to her. As she is returning to the trailer, Wendel stumbles out and argues with her. He has his rifle and comes over to where the men are preparing to leave. Dave and Randy greet him and they chat for a moment.

Mike thinks they are trying to convince him to go back to the trailer. He appears to be hung over and still in some pain. He argues with them and his voice comes clear as he raises it. "I tell you I will be alright when I get out there and get some fresh air." He sits down suddenly at the table and winces then drags himself back up. "It will pass."

1...56789...36