A Hunting We Shall Go: Wendel

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Mike and Wayne grin at each other and Mike says, "Let's get going. We have the far side of the lake this morning." They get their gear and head out around the end of the lake as the first hint of sunlight touches the treetops overhead. The morning frost has left the area excellent for picking out game trails and they follow one within a half hour of leaving camp. In a clear spot a deer is grazing as if calmly waiting for them. Wayne lines up his rifle to cover and nods at Mike. Mike takes the shot and nails it just behind the ear. It drops, folding like a prop has been pulled out from under it. They go forward and check, but it's dead. Wayne shakes Mike's hand. "Nice shot."

They cut behind the tendons in the rear legs and bend a sapling. Cutting off the ends, they insert the main trunk through the tendons and watch the carcass rise till its nose is the only part touching the ground. Mike slits the throat to let it bleed and they go for a smoke. Mike says, "If we gut it out and get it back to camp we still have time to look for your moose."

"I know and I have a good feeling about that marsh area along the backside there." He points along the lake. "You stay here and I'll spot along the lake for tracks. I won't be half an hour. O.K.?"

"Sure. Go ahead. I'll start gutting our deer out."

Wayne comes back in about twenty minutes all excited. "Good tracks and I trailed him a ways. He's not in any hurry. What do you think?"

"I haven't seen any wolf or bear signs. You want to go after him, don't you?"

"I sure do, but it's up to you. If you want to pack yours back to camp first, we'll do it that way."

"Hell, let's go. If I lose it, we still have a week more."

They head out along the lake and within an hour have the moose in their sights. This time Mike does the backup and Wayne takes the shot. The moose goes down but as they approach it struggles and tries to get up. It flops back down and Mike puts a shot through its head to finish it.

By mutual consent, he heads back to pack his deer up to the camp while Wayne works on the moose. He says as he leaves that if anyone is back at the camp he'll bring help. As he heads back to where his deer is he hears a shot from up on the rise over the camp.

He is laboring with a load of meat wrapped in skin along the end of the lake when he hears two shots ring out from the far end of the lake, one right behind the other. He works his way up to the camp and is met by Marlene.

She calls "I seen you coming up from the lake. You got your deer, did you?"

"Sure did, and Wayne got his moose as well. Any of the men in camp?"

"Not yet. I'll go back down with you and help you bring out the rest. By then there should be a few men to go back down and help Wayne."

They go together, her with one of his old hunting jackets around her shoulders and in blue jeans. As they pass around the end of the lake, Mike says, "Lot of activity down at the other end there. They must have got something. I heard two shots when I was going around here before with the meat. That sounded like a scream! Did you hear that? Must have a wounded animal. They should put it out of its misery. Have you seen Barry and John? They were working that side of the lake."

"Last I saw of them they were working along the lake towards Twan Creek."

They pass out of sight of the lake and cross to the area where the remaining carcass is hanging. They chase away a fox that is curiously sniffing the ground under the deer. Mike goes to work butchering and wrapping meat for the trip back. When he has all they can carry, he only has a haunch left so he ties it high from the ground and they start back out. Before they reach the camp they hear vehicles running and see people scurrying around. Mike shakes his head and says, "Oh oh, there's been an accident, I'll bet."

Just then they hear the wail of a woman screaming and crying at the same time, then another. As they enter the camp they realize it is Carol and Marilyn who are making the noise, while John Currie sits between them.

Marilyn screams at John, "I told you it was over! Why? Why, John? I told you I wouldn't see him any more!"

John is looking sick and dazed, while Carol is just crying and wailing.

Marilyn goes on as she slaps John's face, "I told you! Why wouldn't you listen? Talk to me, you fool! Why'd you kill him? Why?" She wails and slaps at John as he falls over and lays in a fetal position on the ground. Barry tries to stop her but she pulls away and runs to her camper.

Mike says to Barry, "What's happened?"

"Wendel's been shot. Hit in the head. He's dead. John here was shooting in a clear shot on a deer when Wendel stumbled out of the brush in front of him. It all happened so fast. I saw the whole thing! Oh God, it was awful!"

"Where is Dave and Randy?"

"Bringing Wendel's body up from the lake. Where's Frank?"

"I don't know. They're up on the upper creek this morning."

"I guess there's not much he can do. Do you have your cell phone? I better call the police."

"I'll get it, it's in the trailer."

The two of them head down to Mike's trailer as the women gather around Carol, trying to console her. Mike glances out the front window as Barry is making the call. He sees Dave and Randy with a makeshift stretcher between them. On the stretcher is Wendel, arm dragging on the ground. On the other side of the stretcher is David, wringing his hands as he walks by his brother's side. They are just coming into the camp from the lake and take him passed his trailer. Carol comes running and David catches her before she can reach the stretcher. The whole group moves to the shelter and they prop the stretcher between two picnic tables so it is waist high from the ground. Mike taps Barry's shoulder and points out front.

Barry glances and speaks again into the phone. He hangs up and says to Mike, "They've got someone coming and they're sending an ambulance. I told them he's dead, but they say it's necessary for a doctor to pronounce him dead."

They are interrupted by the sound of first one, then a second car horn beeping in the campground. Barry looks at Mike questioningly. Mike says, "Someone is alerting Frank's party to come in. It will probably bring them all in. We better get back out there. I'll take my phone. Did you give them my number?"

As they walk back to the shelter Barry says, "I don't know what to do in a situation like this. I understand you've had experience with violence. Do you think Carol will feel like Marilyn? That it wasn't an accident?"

"You were right there when it happened. You're the best person to reassure her it was an accident. It was, wasn't it?"

"I'm sure it was! I was lined up to shoot if he missed the deer and tried to say, 'Hold it!' when I saw the movement in the brush, but it was too late. John's gun had already fired."

"I heard two shots ring out. Did you fire at the deer?"

"No. I think that was Kitten. I recall seeing her about the time John collapsed beside Wendel. John ran out there to where Wendel was lying, screaming 'Wendel, get up! Oh God, get up!' or something like that. By then I was right behind him and he got sick in the grass. I didn't feel any too well myself when I saw Wendel. His head was resting in a pool of blood. Ohhh, it makes me ill to think about it."

"What was Wendel doing when he got hit? Just strolling along or what?"

"He seemed to be staggering and bent over some as he came out of the bush. It's hard to recall, it all happened so fast, but is seemed to me he was clutching his stomach with his left hand and partially bent over. As he went down he reached out grasping with his right hand, then collapsed."

"You say Kitten was close by. Close enough to see Wendel get hit?"

"I think she must have been. Where is she?"

"I don't know. I haven't seen her. Was there anyone else close enough to see what happened?"

"I guess Dave and Randy must not have been too far away. They arrived within minutes, but it seemed like hours."

What about David?"

"Oh yeah, he came running up just after I saw Kitten. He was some shook up, but sort of took charge when Dave and Randy arrived. I brought John back to the camp. He was in a blind stupor. I think he told Marilyn. I had to tell Carol. That was tough. She seemed to take it well, though."

"How do you mean?"

"I got this funny feeling she was almost relieved. It didn't last long. She broke down and started crying right away. It was just for an instant I thought she didn't believe me and it was a joke, you know, everyone reacts differently to sad news. I thought I saw a light of relief in her eyes before it struck her. Odd? I never saw that before. Maybe it was my imagination."

"I'm glad you told me. Within an hour you will have convinced yourself that it was your imagination, but first impressions are usually correct in these situations."

They have arrived back at the shelter and Henny joins them. Her and Barry talk about what has happened. Mike looks for Marlene and sees her with Carol and David, near the body. Dave and Randy are standing back a ways with Dave's wife, Linda. She looks rather pale and very pregnant. He goes over to speak with them.

"Dave, Mrs. Ferguson, Randy, I came over to suggest that maybe Mrs. Ferguson shouldn't be exposed to this excitement. How far along are you, Ma'am?"

"Just eight months; one more to go. I'm alright."

Mike speaks to Randy, "Were you guys close enough to see what happened out there?"

Dave speaks up belligerently, "What the hell are you snooping around for? It was an accident!"

Randy says, "No. Wendel wasn't feeling well and said he was returning to the camp. He kept clutching at his stomach as if in pain. He had been sick a couple of times and complained of diarrhea. At first I thought it was a hangover, but when he headed back, I though he was really sick. I convinced Dave we should follow him and make sure he got back all right. That's when we heard the shots and shortly we came across John, David and Barrie around Wendel on the ground. I thought he had collapsed until I saw the blood all over his head. That's when I realized he'd been shot."

"Did you see Kitten?"

"Yeah, she was checking out a deer about three hundred feet away. I guess she shot it."

"Didn't she see you or what was going on?"

"I thought I saw her glance back at us but she went on."

Dave Ferguson says, "I'm taking my wife back to the trailer. I think Mike's right, she shouldn't be exposed to all this crap."

They leave as Mike checks off on his fingers the witnesses, John Currie, Barrie Mieryck and possibly, Kitten and David Blake. He drifts over to Marlene and David by the body. He notes the entry wound near the left ear, small and precise and is glad the head is resting on the exit wound buried in blood soaked cloth. He notes they cut two saplings and put them through a coat to make a stretcher. He speaks to David, "Did you see what happened?"

"I was trying to catch up with Kitten when I heard the shots. I saw them running towards someone on the ground, then I saw Kitten going to check out the deer she shot. I went over to see what was going on and was shocked to find..." He breaks down for a moment then collects himself. "I couldn't believe it was Wendel. I still don't believe he's dead. I keep expecting him to sit up and say it was all a joke."

"I know, it's tough to take. It's probably twice as hard for you, Carol. Barry called the police. They're on their way and an ambulance." He turns to Marlene.

"I'm going with Randy to see if we can find Kitten. She'll need help with that deer and I'd like to make sure she's all right. Give us a toot on the horn when the police arrive."

She nods and Mike goes to get Randy. The two of them head for the lake. They walk towards the outlet of Twan Creek and near the confluence they find Kitten working on her kill. It dawns on Mike that she and David should have been hunting on the far side of the creek. They settle down to give her a hand.

Mike asks her, "Did you see what happened to Wendel?"

She's gutting the deer and grunts at him. "He got shot. Dumb bastard roaming around by himself." She keeps working steady.

"Did you see him get shot?"

She snaps, "What's it to you?"

"Barrie thinks you're a witness. The police are coming and will want to question all witnesses. Did you see what happened?"

"Not really. I was concentrating on the deer. I let John take his shot, then saw he had missed and took mine. By the time I realized someone was hit, I was half way down to where the deer lie. Are you going to help me or gab all day?"

They hear a horn tooting and Mike says, "That's Marlene to let me know the police have arrived. I better head back up to the camp."

Randy says he will stay and help Kitten, so Mike heads along the lake. He wonders how Wayne is making out with his moose when he sees him coming down to meet him. He waves and Wayne calls, "The police have arrived. Marlene said to let you know." They head back up to the camp together.

When they enter the camp he sees two RCMP officers talking to Barry and David. Mike recognizes one of them. He comes forward and says, "Herb Grey, what're you doing in that outfit? Last time I saw you, you were in the black and white of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP). When did you join the Mounties?"

"Two years ago last month. I saw Marlene and she told me you were here. It's too bad about your friend, Wendel. You didn't see the shooting, eh?"

"No, I was hunting the far side of the lake, but I do have a list of the witnesses, if you need it."

"I might have guessed. Old habits die hard, don't they? Who do you have?"

"First, the hunting partner of John Currie, who did the shooting. That was Barrie Mieryck. Second was the shooter himself and third, the sister-in-law of the deceased. They all seem to agree it was an accident, but there are some questions to be answered. The deceased was having an affair with the shooter's wife and at least the deceased's wife knew about it. I'm not sure if the shooter knew, but there's a good possibility based on some statements she made earlier. She as good as accused him of killing Wendel on purpose, but it was in the heat of the moment when she learned of his death. It'd be worth checking out, anyway."

"Whoa! You have been busy. Marlene said you were still doing some security work. I guess she was right. My partner is getting some statements now, so let's see what he comes up with. Thanks for the list of witnesses. I'll get back to you, and it's good to see you again." They shake hands and the officer joins his partner.

Wayne says, "I hope your not going to drag me into this, just cause I saw them together at the store?"

"My sources are confidential and if I have to use what you told me and name you, I'll let you know before hand or as soon as I can after. Don't worry about it, Wayne. How you making out with the moose?"

Before he can answer, Frank's party comes into the camp followed by Marvin and John Cope. Frank sees Mike and Wayne and calls out, "What's all the commotion down here? Is that the police?" He's cut off by the sound of a siren and shortly an ambulance pulls into the camp as Wayne and Mike explain what has been happening. Frank and Philip go immediately to their fifth wheel to check on Sheila and Emily. Peggy and Betty come over to draw John and Marvin aside so Mike and Wayne drift back towards their end of the camp. Mike suggests he enlist the help of Marvin and John Cope with his moose. Wayne goes over to talk to them and soon they head out towards the lake.

Randy comes up from the lake with Kitten, both loaded with meat. The RCMP officers stop them and an argument ensues between Kitten and the officers. She wants to continue packing meat, but they want statements from both of them. They compromise. She gives them a statement orally, they write it down and she signs it. Mike watches and listens to the interchange, trying to decide if she telling the whole truth or not.

WITNESS STATEMENT OF: SHIRLEY (KITTEN) BLAKE

David and I were working our way down the creeknot having any luck, so we crossed over at a wide shallow spot near the lake. I spotted a two-year old deer and looked around for David but he wasn't in sight so I lined up my trusty 308 with that critter. It was a clear, clean shot at about a hundred yards. My scope is set for four hundred feet so I aim accordingly when I catch a movement out of the corner of my eye. I glance to my right and see John Currie with his rifle lined up with the same deer. I curse under my breath and hold my sight in case he misses the mark.

He takes a long time sighting, no scope for him and I watch that hayburner for any sign of movement, then I hear the crack of John's rifle. That deer just lifted its head, looked around and turned to run, giving me a flank shot. I drilled it in the front quarter right through the heart. It stumbled twice and dropped! Game over!

I wondered how John could have had a clean miss so I looked his way and saw someone laying on the ground about seventy feet in front of him. I went down to check my deer. I heard a man's voice scream, "Wendel, get up! Are you hit bad? Oh God, Wendel, get up!"

I looked back and saw John bent over near the person on the ground and Barrie coming up behind him. I also saw David going towards them so I figured they don't need me. I went on down to check out my deer. Not another shot on it, just my slug in its heart. That baby's all mine.

When I went back and saw what had happened to Wendel, I was just sick. Poor Wendel. SIGNED: Shirley Blake

They take a statement in the same way from Randy.

WITNESS STATEMENT OF RANDOLPH BROWN

When we left the camp I tried to convince Wendel he should stay in camp today. He was really feeling rough and hung over. He was complaining of stomach pains and said he had been sick during the night. He even said at one point when we were coming down along Twan Creek that he was having trouble with blurred vision. Dave wanted him to go back to the camp almost from the time we went out so when he suggested he was returning to the camp, we thought it best.

As he was leaving I saw him double over with stomach cramps and I thought maybe we had better go with him so I suggested that to Dave. He wanted to go on hunting but I convinced him, so we set out to follow Wendel. That's when we heard the shots. We came upon the group in a clearing. Wendel was lying on the ground and I thought he had just collapsed. John looked sick as well, so I thought it must be something catching. Barrie was there and so was David.

When I got close enough to see Wendel, I couldn't believe it. Someone had shot him through the head. Some stupid accident! I helped bring his body in. SIGNED: Randy Brown

Mike checks with Herb and says, "Did you get a statement from Barry Mieryck yet?"

"My partner got it. Here." He hands the statement to Mike.

WITNESS STATEMENT OF BARRY MIERYCK

We were working this side of the lake down near the place where the river flows into the lake. We came to the edge of a clearing and spotted the deer in the open, grazing. John was in the lead and had a clear shot so he lined up on it. I lined up my rifle to back him. I waited and suddenly saw movement to one side in the bush. I went to say, "Hold it!" to John but he fired at that moment. Looking back towards the deer, I saw Wendel bent and clutching his stomach with his left hand, his right outstretched and reaching. I thought he'd been hit in the stomach. Immediately the second shot rang out, but I was watching Wendel as he collapsed on the ground.

John ran forward and I followed. John screamed his name and said to get up. He said, "Are you hit? Get up, man, get up! Oh God, get up!" I guess then he saw the head wound because he suddenly bent over by Wendel and vomited.

1...678910...36