A King's Legacy Ch. 03

Story Info
A trial is held for Aster.
6.4k words
4.76
2.8k
2

Part 4 of the 45 part series

Updated 04/21/2024
Created 01/21/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
PupBayou
PupBayou
79 Followers

A King's Legacy

Chapter 3: Breaking Ties

Jagón's heart trembled from the very moment the light of that shield first washed over the spectators in the arena. There was only one person, one family that could wield that bloodskill, and unfortunately for the panther knight, he wasn't the only to recognize the golden light of the Peacekeeper's Shield that day. The sound of claws digging into wood filled his hearing from the seat beside him. Jagón turned to the knowing lion, only to be met with an intimidating scowl from his king. Alocer's fists were clenching tightly upon the armrests of his seat, threatening to splinter the ornamental wood from the very force of the grip. His upper lip was pulled back into a disdainful snarl, his eyes conveying exactly how pissed off at the other big cat's really big fuck-up he currently was.

Jagón lowered his head and stood, knowing what came next. If somehow his son survived this, the panther would kill him himself. Even through his anger, the great knight winced at his poor internal dialogue. That was now the very likely outcome anyway. The panther shuddered as the crowd grew silent. Aster had been exposed as a human by the tiger, and everything after soon descended into madness.

The roaring, disdainful sounds of the crowd made the arena tremble. Many in attendance were shouting vulgarities and other such obscenities down at the young boy. Aster tried to do exactly as his caretaker Javis had instructed him to in this situation, to stand and raise his head up high, meeting the roars of disapproval head on. If he were to ever be a great warrior, he needed to prove his mettle... Yet hearing an entire arena full of people you've never even had the chance to be seen by suddenly demanding that you be put to death for merely existing would make most feel small. Aster was no exception, but still, the human did manage to avoid looking too afraid for the most part, only flinching when the booming voice amplified by the magic silenced all in the area. Aster turned to meet the gaze of the one that released such a thunderous roar, and saw the ruler of Alora himself pointing down at him. King Alocer only spoke four words.

"Bring him before me." Aster's heart froze, but he nonetheless kneeled, holding his hands up halfway in surrender and compliance. The boy was soon jerked to his feet by the grip of two guards at either arm, and led up the ascending stairway to the royal platform. To where the human's very fate would be determined.

Upon reaching the top, Aster was led to the center of the room, he saw his father was already kneeling in place as the boy was led beside him and forced down onto his knees by the same guards. Aster took the same position his father was currently holding, down on one knee, with his right fist placed upon the earth before it. His head was bowed in obedience. The scared human dared a quick glance at his father, who was only looking ahead at the beastmen before them, bearing an unreadable expression. Aster cast his gaze back down to the stone floor solemnly. Yep, he was pretty well dead no matter how this went. The boy almost jumped out of his skin when he heard the panther mutter something towards his direction in a tone laced with utter exasperation.

"Be silent. Comply by their orders. Do NOT lie, ONLY answer in truth." Aster was a bit relieved to hear his father was at least partially still on his side here, even under the current grim circumstances looming before them. From the corners of his vision, Aster noticed that most of the guests inside of the royal platform were slowly being led out, with fewer remaining every passing moment. Among those that remained, however, was Aster's older brother and Jagón's oldest son, Talan. He appeared to remain standing behind Prince Tyfin, which was nothing unusual considering that he was second in command of the Prince's own guard while only being 26. Aster wouldn't dare look at the young panther, however, his attention was soon occupied anyways when King Alocer came into the boy's view for a moment, heading to stand on the designated rune that allowed one's voice to be magnified by the spell before making his declaration.

"Today, we shall hold a trial to determine whether any evident crimes were committed here, or if any threat to the prosperity of our great kingdom exists here today. This trial shall be held by a selected group of some of Alora's greatest names... However, as even I bear some responsibility in this... Unforeseen turn of events, I shall be abstaining from voting in the trial. I will remain a delegator, however. In my stead, I leave this matter in the hands of some of our mightiest warriors, our sharpest minds, and the very pillars that adamantly bear the weight of our great country, including my own son and heir, the next great ruler of Alora, Prince Tyfin Tonitrus." The crowd murmured quietly amongst themselves as they processed the mighty King's words. Not many were expecting an actual trial for a human of all things. The lion only continued,

"My very own right hand man Jagón Venatus and his adoptive son Aster Venatus, the human that was just before you, will face their reckoning. Should a guilty verdict be declared by the end of this trial, I shall personally ensure swift judgement to all those deemed to be at fault of any such crimes on this day, in the name of preserving our peace."

The crowd roared in their thirst for blood at the lion's declaration. The great king simply turned from the overhanging balcony, and took a few paces to the center of the room. Alocer stopped before Aster, and the boy soon felt the sharp claws of the feline king pressing into the tender flesh of his throat, tilting his head up as the massive lion veered down into his eyes, narrowing them for a moment after contact. The king dropped the human's face and took a seat on the far right among those currently lined up to form a half-circle around the boy and the panther. The mixed bunch of beasts had all eyes on the boy, waiting to deliver judgement on him, and the great knight beside him.

Stahl listened to the King's words from the entrant seating with a sense of expectation. The chances for his weird little buddy seemed slim at best, but at least the odd creature would get a trial. Stahl closed his right eye and focused, bringing his hand up to touch his eyelid. He felt around within himself, reaching out with his mind in search of a familiar presence. This was the bloodskill of the Aschefell family, Shared Sense. The wolf mentally tugged at the desired threads, sending with it the required key. 'Bearer of my blood, Lend me your knowledge." The wolf impatiently awaited his father's decision, smirking to himself as he felt the connection form. The wolf dropped his hand and opened his eye. The vision in which was now replaced by that of his father, Byron, one of the selected judges that were to oversee the trial. Stahl felt his father push a thought to him, so he opened his mind and listened to what the older wolf had to say.

"This isn't your fight pup, why do you wish to insert yourself?" Stahl sent his own mental message in response. "...I've just been sort of rooting for the little guy is all. I want to see what happens?" Stahl held his breath as he felt the older wolf weighing the decision. Soon, he received his answer. "Remain silent." The young warrior smiled at his persuasion's success. He took a moment to identify the judges, and then his vision darted to the boy kneeling in the center of the room. His torso was nearly bared now save for a few lingering pieces of wrap near his waist. Through the old wolf's blurry eyes, Stahl could only make out a certain degree of detail about the creature, but he could see brown looking fur on it's head, not that he didn't already see that much from his seat during the reveal. The wolf could only really make out the silhouette and colors of his friend, and wasn't able to get a clear look at the thing's face again. For some reason, he found himself really wanting to. Then King Alocer started speaking again.

"To further elaborate on the reason we find ourselves here today, I will begin with a basic recounting of the night I allowed the human before you to live. Roughly two decades past, upon Alora bringing the final human country to their knees, Jagón received news of a terrible tragedy striking his house, the loss of both his wife, and his newborn cub... In his despair, he clung to the boy you see before you today. Some of you were there when he walked out of that castle all bloodied and carrying the damn thing. As a king earlier that same night, I had made an oath to a friend I should not have, and thus allowed for the boy to live. Admittedly, more as a means to pacify my wounded knight who had stood by me through all of my battles. I gave him three stipulations. Jagón, do you remember what they were?" The king paused in his recount, awaiting the panther's response.

"Keep it out of sight. Keep it on a leash... And if it ever brandished a blade, You'd make me kill it with my own claws." Aster shuddered at his father's words, the same ones Jagón could never forget. He was grateful to hear them once, but now they brought far less comfort to the panther.

"I'm glad you remember, old friend." The lion looked almost sympathetically towards his knight before continuing. "With the situation clarified, let's move forward. Judges, I turn it over to you, ask what you need, decide accordingly. Make your point and cast your vote. Alice, would you please apply the swearing so we may begin?" The lion took his seat while the mage rose from her own. She whimsically pranced up to the boy, brought her gaze only inches away from his own, and smiled at him while she stared blankly into his eyes.

Aster wasn't sure what to think about the petite calico cat standing directly in front of him at first. Then he thought about how sharp her claw was as it poked itself into his chest while the cat muttered under her breath. Aster recoiled a hair, but remained still and silent, heeding his father's warnings as the cat mage finished with him and moved on to Jagón. A moment later she returned to her seat with a dramatic plop, proudly exclaiming "You lie, you die." In a silky tone, giving the two a smug look. A silence fell over the members of the court as they considered the task before them, That is, until an elderly bighorn ewe quietly cleared her throat.

Dorma Arvis was the ewe in question, and she seemed the least intimidating person among any of the judge's seats in Aster's opinion. She seemed gentle and approachable even. The bighorn spoke in a hoarse tone. "I don't know why your majesty insisted I have a voice here simply because I am an advisor to him. You all already know I will be abstaining from this vote as well, it should come as no surprise to any of you here. Let those who still will be around to face the consequences of these decisions make them. I am a very tired old goat these days. You all can fight over what to do here, I want or need no say in the matter." The first of the eight verdicts were already cast, forcing the remaining 7 impossible to split. Perhaps that was the reason she was given a seat in the first place.

"Well, heh, I sure don't want to abstain." The statement came in a hollow sounding, resonant voice, one belonging to a hyena, Logos Umbis. Perhaps it was the haunting tone of the yeen's voice, or the boding, toothy grin that seemed to perpetually be stuck on the beastman's muzzle, but Aster had a bad feeling about this one, a sentiment his father had always shared.

"You expect us to believe all of this some odd coincidence Jagón? That you didn't have some scheme for this human from the moment you fought to keep the thing alive?" The hyena flashed a yellowed, rotten sneer at the cat before he looked to Aster with a mischievous grin. "Mongrel, why are you here today? What deviousness do you and your 'father,' have planned?" Aster passed a nervous glance towards his father, remembering his prior warning before he spoke, his voice lower than normal.

"I came here of my own accord, the only goal I have in mind is to serve my kingdom as my father does, as a warrior that defends our borders a.d our king. I bear no ill will towards these lands or her people." It didn't seem that answer is what the yeen had hope to hear. He quickly began demanding more answers. He was trying to corner the boy.

"Heh, so you say, yet, did your father not disobey the King's very order by allowing you to come here and enter the Selection? He clearly had you instructed to learn how to fight. It may not be a blade, but that sure seems deliberate enough to me." Aster didn't hesitate to answer that as well.

"No. My father was as oblivious to my plan, and of me learning about fighting as anyone else. The only one that knew I was coming here was my caretaker, Javis, who helped make my entry possible. The only other that knew of me studying the staff was my brother Cortist." Aster hadn't fully grasped what the spell's effect was until that moment. He hadn't planned on revealing his brother, nor the servant, but the truth flowed from his lips before he had even registered what he had done. The boy looked down ashamed, but his father knew he was also required to correct any falsehoods the boy unknowingly told. The nature of the magic required truth to be spoken, it compelled the truth, but you could choose to lie with enough willpower. However, that didn't end too well for those that tried it. Withholding information was often the same as lying under different circumstances. That was a chance Jagón wouldn't take. Aster was caught off guard by his father's words.

"I did not know of Aster's plan to join the selection, or I would have intervened myself... Yet, I was very much aware the boy was learning to fight. I hand selected Javis to be head of my staff because of the nature of his skills, and his proficiency in battle. I wanted a servant that could defend our home if needed, and hold his own... I discovered he had began instructing the boy in the way of the staff when my son was still only on his eighth year."

Aster gave his father a look of pure shock. That was only a year after he had started learning... His father... knew? For all this time, he knew? Never in his wildest dreams did the boy think his father would let him continue if he were to be discovered, and yet here he was, declaring he was very much aware of it for a long time now. Logos, the hyena cackled in delight of this revelation.

"So you admit it! You directly allowed your King's high order to be disobeyed, and for what? The whim's of some pet living far beyond his time on this earth?" Aster was getting quite sick of looking at that hyena's chilling smile.

"A whim? No." The large panther solemnly shook his head to emphasize before picking back up on the statement. "When I discovered the pair in a sparring match one evening from a distance I was furious, I nearly terminated Javis's contract with my house on the spot... Until I witnessed the antelope easily disarm Aster's staff and knock him away. Aster was clinging to his injured hand as he stood back up, Javis asked if he would like to continue for the day or stop for the time being... It was then that I changed my mind after hearing his answer." The great panther knight stopped, and turned to the human, speaking directly at him now.

"You rose back up, and confidently stated how if you couldn't even do that much, how could your life ever have any use to either of your brothers... How could you ever make your father see you as more than something weak that needs protecting..." The panther trailed off, staring deeply into his son's own baffled eyes. He broke away and looked back towards the hyena.

"My son's available paths for his life have always been set into stone, being a servant restricted to my house was the best possible outcome for the boy... Yet, even that required being capable of defending our home when needed... I stand by my decision to let him train for that purpose. Javis was mindful enough to ensure the boy never bore any blade, just as instructed of us... It seems I misjudged this fool's ambition however." Aster was amazed by his father's confession, but still, the 'fool,' bit stung a little. His father NEVER talked down to him in his life, it would seem the knight was still very much upset by his son's actions. Still... The boy fought back a light smile on his lips, despite everything.

"HA! WELL DOESN'T THAT JUST WARM MY BLACK LITTLE HEART!" Logos cackled loudly at the end of his statement. "You admit to directly violating the demands of your king, staff or blade, a weapon is a weapon in the right hands. There is nothing more to discuss. I vote guilty, and request immediate execution for the panther and his pet." The second vote was cast. Jagón did not flinch. He expected as much from that particular judge. A gorgeous blue and white dragon, Cerula Cascus, spoke from her seat next.

"As much as I dislike the thought, I am inclined to side with Logos here. Jagón, we fought vigorously against the humans to protect our home. I didn't help level entire kingdoms only to allow the same poisonous species to integrate itself into our own lands... And further more, there's that shield to consider, correct me if I'm wrong, but is that not the Pea-" The dragon was cut off by King Alocer himself.

"Stay your words, Cerula. We will not discuss that matter yet." The dragon only nodded once in resignation. She looked back towards the kneeling panther, and with a somber look, spoke again.

"I am sorry Jagón, we have fought too long and lost too many to allow any one of our personal wishes to outrank our duty to protect this land. Where one human rises, more always follow. I vote we execute the human, however, I believe Jagón has committed no crime against his king, and should be freed." With the third vote cast, Aster's hopes of survival were looking more and more slim, He found some comfort that his father may at least escape the same fate, that is, until Jagón spoke up, looking directly at the dragon unflinchingly as he did. His father was at war, even here.

"I should clarify something, should Aster be declared guilty, I will personally dispatch of him myself, as such is the nature of the agreement... But make no mistake, Cerula, his fate is intertwined as my own. I will take my life afterwards should this council decide my son must die." Aster's heart ached at his father's words, he never wanted to drag any of his family into this. Just a short distance away, behind Prince Tyfin himself, a younger panther clenched his jaw as his father made such an unsettling statement. It seemed his father was still prepared to throw away everything for the human, something that always brought disgust to Talan.

Cerula nodded in understanding of the warrior's resolve, but still reiterated her vote, citing a possible human repopulation as her reasoning. Aster wasn't sure what came over him, but the boy finally spoke out of turn.

"I am the last of my kind, I have no delusions on that fact. As such, I will never bear any children, and I have accepted that as part of my future. If you find that impossible feat is what makes you wary, then geld me. I have no use for that part of myself anyways." A few hushed comments filled the mostly now-quiet room as the beastmen weighed the boy's steely words. Castration was a punishment for rapists and the like, so they would forever bear a reminder of their crimes. Most males would choose death first before ever considering it, let alone suggesting it. Jagón disliked the idea of his son being cut, but if it meant the boy could live...

The silence of the court was soon interrupted from a sound coming from the playful calico cat, Alice. She was shrilly laughing, seeming so very out of expectation to Aster. After all, not many in the kingdom hadn't heard of the power behind the Almighty Alice, "The King's Cannon."

PupBayou
PupBayou
79 Followers
12