A King's Legacy Ch. 19

Story Info
Preparations are made all around.
7.3k words
4.78
2.2k
1

Part 20 of the 45 part series

Updated 04/21/2024
Created 01/21/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
PupBayou
PupBayou
79 Followers

A King's Legacy

Chapter 19: Preparations

Talan was kneeling before his father's bed in the Aschefell estate the morning after the full moon, the morning the group was preparing to depart the estate. Talan had been filled in that his prince was still alive, and were it not for the older wolf talking him down, the panther would have departed the moment he received the fortunate news. Instead, Talan had agreed to wait a day, and make his leave with the rest of the group to stick together in number, ensuring a slightly larger degree of safety for the beasts. The roads were becoming more hazardous by the day in wake of the disarray spreading across the kingdom, but even still, all the panther could focus on was keeping those he cherished safe.

Byron could only smile on from the doorway as the young warrior made his vows to his father. Vows to find his brother Cortist and to bring him home. Vows to reunite with the prince, and to stand by his side until the endeavor was over. Even a surprising vow to return the "Human pet," to his father's side. Byron hadn't pried about the older brother's resentment for the human yet, but was planning to soon. After all, they would have plenty of time on the road to discuss such things. The older wolf cleared his throat, and began speaking as the young warrior turned to meet him.

"I just wanted to let you know, the carriages are ready... Are you certain you still wish to bring your father along? It won't be hard to manage, but I do worry if it's the best thing in his condition... However, I do understand your need to keep him close." The panther only nodded at the wise wolf before answering.

"I am. When father wakes up, he would follow us anyway... At least this way, I can protect him until then. My family has quite the target on our backs after my claim to the throne, and even though I will soon withdraw that claim, I cannot afford to leave any weaknesses exposed to our enemies in the time until then... Are you certain YOU still wish to travel with me? I'm sure you understand how that could end badly for your family..." The feline trailed off, but the wolf didn't hesitate to dismiss any such worry.

"Talan... You may not want to hear this, but if all of this goes smoothly, you will be a part of my family also... I know you don't consider him your brother, but Aster and my son have become very... Close as of late. As such, the things he values are the things my son values, and if there's one thing I can say for certain about the boy, is that he values all of his family very deeply. What kind of family would I be to turn my back on you in your time of need? No... What kind of knight would I be? Certainly not one worth serving the next king of our nation." The older wolf donned his fanged smile at the panther, putting that debate to rest with finality. Talan only bowed a bit as he replied.

"Thank you, Sir Aschefell... I would like a little more time with my father, I'll bring him down after. I won't keep you waiting too long." The wolf nodded, happy to oblige as he turned and made his leave.

The old wolf shuffled across the estate at a steady pace, stopping to rest his bad leg every so often before he made it to the forge. The sound of ringing steel and the smell of burning cinders were a welcome presence after sitting untouched for so long. As the wolf creaked open the door, he saw his son Amboss placing the finishing touches on his last minute project with the help of a certain coyote, a long time friend of the family, and the beast in charge of the prince's personal guard, Sir Syphur Ictus.

Sir Syphur had been in the King's service for well over twenty years at that point. He volunteered to help with the registration at the most recent selection before taking a short trip back home. As such, he was not present for the day of the attack, but his service to the crown could be traced back to even delivering the final letter from Jagón's wife, Felicity, to the panther on the battlefield all those years ago. Sir Syphur was nothing special on the combat aspect of things, but his resourcefulness, and his knack for quick thinking when it was needed the most were nearly unparalleled, more so proven by how the smaller beast who barely stood at 6' 5" had survived for so many years. The multi colored coyote was summoned per Byron's request, as this was one of the few beasts he had trusted with the information that their prince was still alive. The coyotes orange tipped ears came to attention when he saw the knight enter. The older wolf gave his greeting to his comrade before he commented on the project.

"Looks like you managed to pull it off with a little help, my son. Do you think it will work the way you need?" Amboss looked up to meet his father's gaze, and smiled, already returning to his lighthearted self after yesterday's good fortune had brought renewed hope to the beast.

"It's no permanent replacement, but it will, at least, give me some means for basic use and defense... Blades were always more Silbern's and Stahl's thing... But I can't exactly attach an entire hammer to my arm, so it will have to do for now. Besides, we are out of time, and I won't be waiting any longer to go get my son back." As the wolf finished his statement, he adjusted his arm to slide into the frame, noting the excellent fit, despite that he had been crafting with only a single arm, and a small bit of help from the coyote. Amboss was fumbling a bit with the buckles, but neither the older wolf, nor the coyote were comfortable offering their help without the younger wolf asking first.

Rouge, however, had no such reservation, and strutted right passed the older wolf in the doorway to assist her husband upon arrival, already well finished with her own travel preparations. The apt fox began speaking to Amboss in her usual, softer tone, but with one clearly still laced with a twinge of uncertainty after almost losing both of her boys.

"As stubborn as the steel you shape... Same as ever it seems." The fox let out a small sigh, but was making quick work of fastening the straps as she continued on. "Is that too tight? Is it comfortable? You'll be wearing this for a while, so it needs to fit properl-" Amboss cut her off with a reassuring notion, bringing his good hand up to gently hold her cheek as he spoke.

"It's fine my love, thank you. It needs to be a little tight or it'll just fall off. Can you get that last one on the lower bicep too? It locks horizontally." Rouge was already taking hold of the final strap, and spoke warmly as she finished.

"It's not your best work... But I suppose it will do for now... Your son will probably poke fun at you for it though." Amboss chuckled a bit, knowing that Rust would be brainstorming improvements the moment he found out about the prosthetic. Still, knowing he could be in a position to even think about that was more than enough for the time being. So instead, the wolf grew a playful grin, and spoke his other thought he had brewing as he raised his new arm.

"If nothing else, at least it adds to my sex appeal, no?" Rouge's left ear twitched twice in rapid suggestion, a clear giveaway that she was either annoyed, or excited by the thought. She took a single step inwards, leaning in closely to her wolf before she smiled ever so slightly as her fingertips traced over the cool steel of the new arm. The base was essentially a leather cap, layered with rings to bind it. There was a smaller plate inside of it which fused to the nine inch blade protruding forth. The buckles and straps were connected to various points, offering a secure fit over the arm. Towards where the blade met the holster, there was a smaller, dull hook about where his palm used to be that could help him grip things to an extent. Rouge gave the odd contraption a final tap with a look of skepticism before she gave her answer.

"Well... Lets just be grateful you're still handsome." As the wolf scowled a bit in his deflated ego, his wife finally laughed for the first time since the attack, however briefly, before she leaned up to plant a short kiss on his muzzle. She took a step back, smiling a bit more than before, and spoke her final words before she turned to make her leave.

"Just don't keep us waiting too much longer, I think everyone is about ready to go... I know I am..." Amboss beamed back at his wife, and spoke his reply confidently.

"We're going to get him back, my love. Before you know it, he will be back with us." Rouge paused in the doorway, and turned to give her wolf one last smile before she simply closed her eyes, and stepped out of the forge. Sir Byron turned to his son and the coyote, and spoke in an enthusiastic voice.

"Well, you heard the lady. Bout ready boys? It's a long trip, but we should make good time if all goes well." The coyote and the younger wolf nodded, Both eager to be on the road, and to reach their charges without further hesitation.

Stahl was watching Aster sleep that morning, which had admittedly become a part of his routine by then. The wolf just couldn't resist, the boy always looked so at peace when he was resting, a feeling he knew was becoming more and more rare for his human in recent days, so the beast tried to let him dream as much as possible. The boy rolled onto his stomach then, and stretched out a bit as a few bones popped from the action. Aster let out a short grunt, signaling his mind was becoming aware once more. Stahl only chuckled lightly at the motion, already planning how he wanted to wake his mate up.

Stahl adjusted his position, and sat up in the bed. The beast gently moved to straddle his human's bare ass, and brought his large hands to rest on his boy's shoulders. The beast began lightly squeezing at the muscles there with his fingertips, careful to keep his claws from digging in as he did so. The muscles beneath his touch were rigid, and tense, which wasn't surprising considering the fun they indulged in the past two days, so the beast knew his mate would appreciate a little attention to his body. Stahl went on rubbing the sore body a while longer, rolling the knots between his fingers as they slowly loosened up and dispersed. The beast began working on Aster's neck next, and heard the boy let out a stifled moan as Stahl rubbed his hands over the sore area. The wolf gave his palms a hefty squeeze, drawing up the skin on the nape of Aster's neck as his mate moaned from the sensation once more.

Stahl kept working over the body with extra attention to where his boy reacted the most. Stahl worked down the muscular back, and moved on to tenderly run over the boy's arms and legs shortly after. Aster was simply in a state of bliss from the welcomed surprise. He couldn't think of a better way to be woken up than by the firm hands of a noble wolf soothing over his aches and pains, so he let himself relax into the thorough administrations. After going for a long while, Stahl finally came to a stopping point, and leaned forward, resting his body on top of Aster's own as his sheath snugly rested between his boy's ass cheeks. The wolf drew his limbs in a bit, and shifted his weight gently atop his mate with his muzzle tilted down to rest in the nook of Aster's neck. Aster only smiled beneath the weight of the embrace as he finally spoke his greeting.

"Well... You never stop finding ways to blow away my expectations, do you, my wolf?" Stahl huffed a bit of a laugh before he gave his answer.

"Says the one that crushes all of mine daily. Good morning, my love. I hope you dreamt well?" Aster grunted contently before he replied.

"Had the strangest dream I was being suffocated by a wolf... It was surprisingly comforting. I'd suggest everyone dream about it sometime." Stahl muzzled into his human's neck just a bit more at the notion, huffing his answer a bit.

"Not everyone could do what you did. That's reserved for good boys only, after all." Aster snickered under the flattery, feeling a bit proud of his accomplishment the night before. Before he could answer though, a knock tapped at the door, interrupting the reply. Stahl casually rolled off of his boy, and covered the pair back up with the thin blanket before he called for the visitor to enter. When the door opened, Mollis was there with a troubled expression. The beast kept his head low as he spoke.

"The captain has returned... The prince has called a mandatory gathering for our soldiers. Be quick. We are meeting near the river in a few minutes." The hare bowed lightly before quickly turning to move on to the next residence. Aster felt a pang of guilt at how distant the hare was being, and called something out before the beast made his leave.

"Mollis... Let's have that talk later, alright?" Mollis stopped dead in his tracks as foot paw bounced ever so slightly. The hare turned back around with a softer smile on his face before he simply gave the human a nod, happy for the chance to make things right. Mollis made his leave while Aster and Stahl started getting dressed to head to the meeting. A few moments later, the pair stepped from the doorway and closed it behind them, heading off towards the river where they had all talked the first day.

As the flowing water came more into sight, Aster noticed the majority of the beasts within the prince's group were already present. The boy noted Rust was still absent. Aster looked off into the distance a ways, and saw a fatigued Captain Rix walking their direction from further up the river with Oust and Sir Corper in tow. Aster could only drop his gaze as a measure of his guilt for kissing the tiger returned to him. Stahl took note, and reassuringly placed a hand over Aster's shoulder, giving him the usual calming presence of caring affection. Aster leaned into the touch as he brushed his cheek against the strong, but fuzzy hand, happy for the distraction.

Oust was already training with Sir Corper when the hulking bull strutted into his view from near the village. The bull's muscular frame was coated with a heavy layer of sweat and muddied dust from his long sprint to return to the village, but the staunch bull hadn't stopped for even a second, knowing that every single one mattered. Captain Rix made his report to his prince first thing upon arrival, and after briefly confirming the troubling news with the orc chief, had set out per his prince's order to gather the beasts of Alora present. Oust was the last on his list, as the bull had a few things to settle there before the meeting.

The tiger took a few paces to reach the bank, and kneeled as his superior approached. The bull spoke in his usual, burly tone.

"TIGER! NO TIME FOR SUCH THINGS! WE HAVE OTHER TROUBLE TO WORRY ABOUT, HAVE YOU HEARD THE NEWS REGARDING YOUR FATHER?" Oust looked up to his captain with a solemn look, and nodded his response.

"Prince Tyfin filled me in yesterday... You mean how he has made a claim to the crown, yes?" The thick bull nodded, happy to skip to the point.

"GOOD, THEN LET ME ASK YOU THIS, TIGER, WHICH CLAIM WILL YOU BACK? CHOOSING TO FOLLOW YOUR FATHER IS A NOBLE THING, AND I UNDERSTAND IF THAT IS WHAT YOU PICK, BUT I NEED TO KNOW WHERE YOU STAND. WILL YOU RALLY BEHIND YOUR FATHER, OR BEHIND YOUR PRINCE? ANSWER ME TRUTHFULLY." Oust lowered his head, expecting this conversation, but not from the bull of all beasts. The tiger took a steadying breath in, and spoke his thoughts on the matter.

"My father would raise the most powerful army our country had even seen. He would focus on the strongest among us, and rule accordingly to eradicate the weaker among us... His rule would be one where the strongest rise above the weak... Prince Tyfin would rule the opposite, of that, I'm certain... I do not wish to stand against my father, because I know that death awaits any who dare to... But I pray our Prince will reclaim his throne, as is his right." Captain Rix snorted once before he retorted, not exactly satisfied with that answer.

"THIS IS WAR, TIGER. THERE IS NO ROOM LEFT FOR PLAYING BOTH SIDES. WHICH SIDE OF THE LINE WILL YOU STAND ON? PRAYERS WITHOUT ACTION TO BACK THEM AMOUNT TO NOTHING." It was Sir Corper who further expanded on that statement.

"I have to agree with your captain here, young one. Choosing to remain passive because you fear retaliation from either side is a fool's choice. I can tell you about the dangers of taking no action until it is too late... Tell me, cub, would your father give a second thought to discarding you among the weak?"

Oust lowered his head, knowing his teacher and his captain were both correct. The beast exhaled silently before he spoke in a serious voice.

"My father should not be allowed to seize the crown... I cannot hope to stop him, but I will do what I can for our prince in the meantime... My loyalty to the rightful king has not wavered." Captain Rix gave a gruff grunt before he turned to stare down the bear for a bit, seemingly deep in thought. Sir Corper gave the bovine a moment before he finally spoke to the bull.

"Don't hold your tongue for my sake, Captain. Say what you want to." The bull furrowed his brow before he responded.

"I NEVER HOLD MY TONGUE. SIR CORPER THE COLLAPSER, AS A PRIOR GENERAL TO BEAST KING ALOCER, PRINCE TYFIN TONITRUS HAS REQUESTED YOUR PRESENCE AS WELL. WE HAVE TROUBLE KNOCKING AT OUR DOOR ONCE MORE, AND WE NEED ALL THE MUSCLE WE CAN GET." The older bear never looked away, studying the bull carefully as he pondered the request. The beast gave his answer shortly.

"I will hear what your prince has to say, but I promise nothing. I do not serve the crown anymore. I am bound by no king. My only obligation is to the student I chose to take on." The bull huffed once more, replying immediately.

"SO I SEE... WE WILL DISCUSS THAT MORE LATER, I WON'T HAVE MY AUTHOROTY UNDERMINDED WHEN IT COMES TO MY SOLDIERS, BUT FOR NOW, I SEE NO REASON THE TEACHING CANNOT CONTINUE... GIVEN IT DOESN'T HINDER HIS OTHER TRAINING." The burly bear nodded, accepting the truce for the time being. The three beasts began making their way towards the meeting spot a moment after. As Oust caught sight of the human runt among the gathering, he felt a small flutter of embarrassment stir deep within his heart. The tiger cursed the sensation with a reluctant grunt, still not entirely certain how he felt towards the boy now. He wanted to keep hating the human, but it seemed Oust had unintentionally let a lot of that frustration towards his prior loss go as well. A good kiss could do that to a person.

The prince cleared his throat as the trio integrated into the small gathering around him. Sir Corper hung back a good ways, while Captain Rix walked to stand a bit behind the prince. Oust simply took a spot near the end, keeping the human, the wolf, and the hare with them just at the edge of his vision. Prince Tyfin began speaking calmly, and clearly, his voice disguising his worry well.

"Beasts of Alora, I'm afraid the situation isn't very bright... But I do not wish to hide anything from you. I sent the captain here ahead to scout for any trouble, and it seems trouble has found us instead... There's a decent sized force of fiends heading our direction... They will be here before nightfall." A murmur of hushed gasps and whispers flooded through the crowd. Even Aster found himself sitting up a bit more straight after the news. Before the prince could continue, a beast shouted a question laced with fear.

"How big is a decent sized force? Two hundred? Three?" Prince Tyfin fought the urge to look away, and instead stared straight ahead as he gave his reply.

"We estimate close to a thousand..." The gathering of beasts erupted into frantic chaos, losing nearly all composure as they all spoke their worries at once. The prince tried to get the situation under control, but his voice was quickly drowned out beneath the others. It was Captain Rix speaking in his booming voice that did demand a bit of order.

PupBayou
PupBayou
79 Followers
12