A King's Legacy Ch. 20-21

Story Info
A large battle unfolds.
21.5k words
4.96
2.4k
4

Part 21 of the 45 part series

Updated 04/21/2024
Created 01/21/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
PupBayou
PupBayou
79 Followers

A King's Legacy

Chapters 20 & 21:

First Battle & Final Battle.

Cortist was idly poking at his small campfire with a smaller twig, lost in his more depressing thoughts, though, it was hard to blame him. The panther had spent the days since the attack completely alone, per his new "Master's," orders... Death had given him a single condition to fulfil so far, and that was simply avoid contact with anyone. Cortist didn't think it was too much of a request at first, but after a week had passed, he realized exactly how terrible solitude could get. The panther was always one to strike up a conversation wherever he went, but now found himself with nobody to talk to for the first time in his life. His mind often wandered to his questions, combing over his family's condition, his kingdom's fate, and how badly he was missing his fiancée incessantly. Cortist wasn't certain his head was built for this solo existence, and wondered how his younger brother had ever handled it the way he had. Still, Cortist had mostly managed to keep his mind busy on small tasks since the demon had escorted him to that forest.

After the deal was made, the young panther suddenly found himself back with his healed father and his brother in the arena tunnel, although both were unconscious at that point. The demon had been resting forward with its sword in the dirt, as if in waiting. When Cortist looked up to the monster, the creature turned and sliced opened a fresh scar into the darkness from before. The mage nearly jumped out of his hide when he heard that same dark voice of death from before speak clearly into his mind.

"He knows where to lead you. Stay hidden until I call, my child."

The demon turned to give the mage a wave, gesturing for him to follow. Cortist gave his family one final glance in worry and apology before he faced his fear l, and stepped into the darkness, the scar closing behind him almost immediately. Cortist couldn't see a thing, despite darkness usually not hindering him... It was more like... There WAS nothing to see... The mage stumbled in his uncertainty, and felt a terrifyingly cold and stony hand wrap around his wrist. The panther squeaked at the unexpected touch, but felt himself simply being lead forward without pause. The panther had little choice but to follow the demon at this point, but his mind was certainly wondering what fresh nightmare this monster was leading him to. After what felt like only a few short moments, the mage ran right into the demon when he abruptly stopped without notice. The demon didn't budge, but Cortist lost his balance and fell backwards.

When the panther landed firmly on his rear, something finally came Into his sights as a new scar was opened before him, one presumably leading to a forest of some kind if the vegetation was any indication. The mage stared in awe, feeling uneasy at looking upon the world from such a dark window. The demon spoke in his hollow voice this time, giving the mage instruction.

"Go. Seek no one. Talk to no one. Stay put. Do not interfere. You will be called soon." Cortist gave the demon an uncertain look, and glanced back to the scar shortly after. The panther rose to his feet, and walked towards the light, wondering when the obvious trap would spring. When the mage reached the tear, he extended a single arm through, and felt the humidity of the forest on his fur. He let out a small gasp of disbelief, and turned back to the monster once more as he locked his eyes onto the glowing, golden orbs that he assumed were the demon's own. The panther saw the orbs bob up and down once, signaling the thing had just nodded at him through the darkness. The mage took a heavy breath in, said a silent prayer, and stepped into the obvious trap.

Cortist found himself standing in the middle of a lush variety of greenery. Streaks of sunlight cascaded through the dense branches above, highlighting random details of the flora as tiny insects danced within the rays. It really did simply lead to a forest after all. Cortist turned back to ask something, but found the scar was already gone. The panther finally looked around to get his bearings, and decided the best thing he could do was simply obey what he had been told. It was better than being ordered to do something awful, as the panther had half expected to be. Instead, Cortist Venatus spent the entirety of his time since the attack alone, surviving in that forest off of his wits, his skills, and the same magic he had always wielded. Cortist didn't feel any different after making the deal, but by the time the demon had returned for him, he certainly felt lonely, and bored. The monster abruptly carving a scar right beside his campfire certainly wasn't the unannounced company he desired, however.

"Come. You should see." Cortist scrambled to his feet as his initial surprise wavered. The mage quickly spoke, admittedly happy to have someone to talk to at last.

"See? Where are we going?" The demon simply held it's hand out, not answering the mage. Cortist grumbled a bit, but extinguished his campfire with a quick water spell, and reluctantly took hold of the chilly hand, returning to that total darkness as he felt the demon guide him through the scar once more. They walked several paces before the creature stopped, Cortist was more prepared this time, and stopped as well. The demon made another scar, but this one seemed different to the panther.

For one, it seemed a bit high in the air, a good distance over what looked to be a small village in a more arid landscape. There was a winding river running along the west border of the town, and the sun was just about to start descending passed the horizon. The panther placed a hand against the scar, and found he couldn't pass through this one. The mage gave the glowing orbs another glance, and heard that raspy voice answer him.

"To watch only." Cortist frowned a bit, and turned back to the scar as he asked a more verbal question.

"Watch what exactly?" Cortist received no answer, so the mage studied the image a bit closer. There appeared to be a small dust cloud approaching the town... There was also something on the other side of the river, something that was moving. Cortist squinted, trying to make out more details when the demon started slashing open more windows around him, each one offering a different perspective, each one showing a different area of the battlefield. The panther watched in speculative awe, there was an army of orcs stationed between two great, stone walls, and an approaching force of fiends headed off by two larger ones, likely demons. There was going to be a battle. The panther still didn't understand, and was about to express that when the demon turned, and sliced open one final scar for the mage to look through. There was a great pillar of stone raised near the river, and a bit behind the formation of orcs. Cortist's breath caught in his throat when he recognized two of the three figures atop that pillar.

'Aster! The prince! They really are alive! They are saf-' The mage's blood ran cold at the realization. They were a part of this battle. They were going to fight those numerous fiends. They were anything but safe, and Cortist was helpless here, to watch only.

===

"My prince..." Mollis spoke from behind the lion, " It is time. The enemy forces will be upon us before the hour is up. Our troops are in place, as are the orcs. We should get to our positions as well... Whatever you've managed to gather, we can only pray it will be enough at this point." The royal lion turned, dropping his hand from an older orc's shoulder as he did so. His energy levels were higher than he felt he could hold at that point anyway. He had been drawing what he could from those that wouldn't be fighting that day to help provide energy for the mage to set the stage, and in order to give Mollis as much firepower as possible for the actual battle after. The pair had been working endlessly to prepare as much as possible, and it was time to see the fruits of that effort, whichever way the battle went. The hare was their only true competent mage on hand, and was truly the key to their victory. The prince spoke, feeling a bit jittery from the excess power coursing through him.

"Thank you... You've already handled so many preparations. We would have stood no chance without you... I am sorry in a sense, but I am glad you are with us. If we survive and I get my crown back, remind me to make you a high mage." The rabbit managed a carefree laugh before he replied, despite the looming trouble.

"I'll hold you to that... In truth, my prince, it was an honor serving the crown more directly... I admit, I had my reservations about your father after the war with my country and the famine that followed... After what forced me to join your ranks in the first place... But when I hear you talk about the future you wish to build? Well... Even a bartered child such as myself sees hope in a world like that..." The hare trailed off a bit, but picked back up quickly, changing the subject. "Shall we go? I still need to talk with Aster a little before all of this." The prince smiled at the hare and nodded, happy those two were making up a bit, despite everything. The three would be standing together through this battle after all.

===

Stahl was sitting behind Aster with his arms wrapped tightly around the boy, holding on to the last few minutes the pair would have together until the battle was won. Aster didn't like the idea of not fighting beside his wolf, but Stahl had agreed, the shield needed to stay with the king, and the swords were needed on the front lines. Aster protested firmly against the separation, but finally yielded after the order came from Captain Rix himself. Personal feelings had to be put aside... But that didn't make it any easier for the human. Stahl was in the middle of trying to cheer him up, and had even managed to do so slightly, despite the enemy nearing their field of vision at the far edge of the horizon. The wolf finished his most recent statement enthusiastically.

"You've done nothing but improve since we've met, Aster. Your shields are only stronger... You can hold them easier, you can stave off hits better than before, AND you even have two of them now, that opens up a world of possibility for their uses. You're going to be fine, my love." Aster grumbled a bit, pointing out the flaw in that logic.

"Yes, I probably will be fine while I'm completely separated from most of the battle, fighting alongside our biggest cannon in this fight... I worry for your sake. I won't be able to reach you from over here... What if you need someone to watch your back?" The wolf nuzzled into his mate softly.

"Aster... Yes, something could happen, but this isn't my first fight against these things. We have a solid plan, and we have the muscle to pull it off. I can't promise victory, and I can't promise something won't get the better of me, but I can promise to give everything I have to make it back to you after all of this. Trust our plan. Trust our king. Trust our comrades to have my back this time." The human sighed again, knowing there was no answer to truly ease his mind, but grateful his wolf had made the effort. The boy tilted his head back, and gave his beast a kiss. Aster jumped in surprise when a booming voice interrupted the pair.

"YOUR PRIORITIES BEFORE BATTLE NEED WORK. BOTH OF YOU." Captain Rix was walking up to the pair, his heavy axe held easily in his left hand. Aster and Stahl both started to stand, but was stopped when the bull held up his right hand, and instead took a seat cross-legged in front of them, settling his bulky fist against his leg as he allowed himself to rest for the first brief moment since his return. The captain didn't have time to waste, and said what he needed to say.

"PANTHER SON... I HAD HOPED FOR MORE TIME BEFORE WE GOT TO THIS... DO YOU KNOW MY FATHER'S GREATEST SHAME? HIS MOST THOROUGH DEFEAT?" Aster was pretty caught off guard by the question. Captain Rix wasn't exactly prone to discuss his family matters. Aster thought back to his education under Javis, but couldn't think of any real marks against the Rixator name. The bovines were a long and noble line of respected and revered warriors. The boy gave the bull a puzzled look, and shook his head as he answered.

"No Sir..." The captain huffed just a bit, feeling a bit annoyed that he had to tell the story.

"IT WAS DURING A BATTLE AROUND TWENTY YEARS AGO. HIS ENTIRE BATTALION WALKED RIGHT INTO AN ENEMY'S TRAP... ABOUT NINETY PERCENT OF HIS FORCES WERE BURIED ALIVE BENEATH EXPLOSIVES WHILE THEY WERE RENDERED HELPLESS TO EVEN MOVE. HE BARELY SURVIVED HIMSELF... THE SHAME MADE HIM WANT TO CHOOSE DEATH, BUT KING ALOCER WOULD NOT ALLOW IT, INSISTING HE HAD DONE HIS DUTY, AND THAT THE WEAPON RESPONSIBLE WAS TO BLAME." Aster looked on a bit confused. He had never heard of any such battle... His eyes went wide as it registered. Twenty years ago... That was when King Alocer had toppled the last human kingdom, his birth father's kingdom... One of the few wars the boy was not allowed to study in his youth... Captain Rix huffed once more as realization flashed across his subordinate's face before he continued.

"YES... THE WEAPON RESPONSIBLE FOR VICTORY OVER ONE OF ALORA'S GREATEST GENERALS WAS THAT SHIELD. YOUR FATHER BROUGHT MY OWN TO HIS KNEES, AND DROPPED A MOUNTAIN ON TOP OF HIM AS HE KNEELED. HE TOLD ME MUCH OF SUCH POWER, AND I'VE BEEN DOING EVERYTHING I COULD TO GROW IT, AND KEEP IT ON OUR SIDE SINCE I FOUND OUT IT WAS AMONG OUR RANKS... I HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO TRUST YOU WITH THE SECRETS TO YOUR OWN STRENGTH NOW. I NEED YOU ON HIGH GROUND, AND I NEED YOU READY TO END IT IF IT STARTS GOING BADLY. THE PRINCE DOES NOT FALL, AND YOU ARE MY SECRET WEAPON TO ENSURE THAT, EVEN IF I DO... EVEN IF THE REST OF US DO... BUT KNOW THIS, PANTHER SON, IF YOU EVER TURN THIS POWER AGAINST MY KINGDOM, I WILL FIX MY MISTAKE OF TEACHING IT TO YOU SWIFTLY, AND WITHOUT MERCY." Captain Rix flared his snout and huffed as he gave his one and only warning to the human. Aster felt a chill run down his spine at the thought of ever finding such a mighty beast his enemy. The boy chose his words carefully.

"My shield serves our prince, my Captain, I want it to be useful for his reign. If it can really stop our enemies, let me learn how." The bull took in a heavy breath, and closed his eyes as he told the boy everything he knew about the technique that once nearly killed his own father, only to be used as a last resort.

The Captain's father, the late General Brutus Rixator, was a bull of few words, but he was adept at studying opponents, and especially so learning more about the techniques of the few opponents that had ever bested him. As such, he had passed down quite a hefty bit of information from the library of the fallen human kingdom about that shield to his son. The captain had since been polishing the boy's skills with that information without him ever knowing it. He knew a second shield could form from the start. He knew the boy's emotions made it stronger all along. He knew of the many uses and attacks it had, and even had some speculated uses that hadn't been tested yet that he wanted to... But he also knew what he was teaching the boy now could be used to bring entire armies to their knees... Quite literally. It would make the human a true threat to Alora if he ever turned on them. The bull had been carefully watching the human to decide how much to coax from him in time, but time was no longer a luxury, nor was caution.

===

"It's understandable to be nervous. It is your first real battle against fiends on this scale, after all." Sir Corper was growing tired of watching the tiger pace back and forth, and felt he needed to say something. The cub needed to be conserving energy before battle, but that sentiment was often wasted on the young. Oust replied confidently.

"I am not nervous about that. They are living things that can be killed. I'm anxious to see how I actually stand up to such opponents. I didn't have much chance to back at the Selection Grounds..." Oust paused for a bit, and glanced towards the ground before him as his brow furrowed. The bear gave him a moment to say it, but gave a little coaxing when the cub faltered.

"...But?" Oust sighed, figuring he may as well tell the bear... He was making the effort to be a bit more open towards other beasts lately.

"Do you... Do you ever feel like no matter what, you won't be strong enough when it matters the most? We can train endlessly, but when it's time to call on that strength, it seems to never be enough... That likely isn't a problem you have though." The tiger got a bit quieter towards the end. The bear surprised him by actually letting out a laugh.

"Hahaha! Oh, I've experienced feeling helpless before. Believe it or not, you aren't the only one, and most of us have felt that at some point... Though... You were helpless to a lot of things growing up, weren't you?" Oust felt like he was just punched in the gut. Helplessness... That's what that feeling was. The bear continued. "That stuff can follow you around, and always make you feel like you aren't enough to matter, until you stop letting it. Rely on the strength you have proven to bear by surviving, and stop being helpless now. Matter now, claim your strength. Know you are enough to make a difference... We are going after the big ones, after all... Even I may need some help against both of them at my age." The bear flashed another smile, trying to cheer up the grumpy cat. Oust almost let himself smile too, but just couldn't find it in himself to do so before such an imposing task. The tiger heard the crunching of hooves behind him, and turned to see his captain heading his direction with a handful of fighters. The bull called out to him shortly after.

"GOOD! YOU BOTH SEEM READY. HAVING SECOND THOUGHTS, TIGER? IT IS YOUR FIRST TRUE BATTLE... SIR CORPER, ARE YOU CERTAIN YOU WANT THE CUB WITH US? HE MAY BE BETTER OFF FACING THE SMALLER ONES. WE CAN'T AFFORD TO BE SLOWED DOWN IF HE HESITATES..." Oust gave his captain a bow, and answered for himself.

"I will not falter. Let me be of service." Sir Corper spoke immediately after.

"I trust his ability. He caught my eye, after all. I'm sure you've had similar students?" The bull flashed a huge smirk at the bear.

"IT SHOULD NOT COME TO IT, BUT YOU MAY JUST SEE A PEEK OF MY OWN PUPIL'S REAL POWER BY THE END OF THIS!" The bear only chuckled, realizing this was quickly becoming a contest for the proud bull. Oust was puzzled. The bovine had been training the human more than anyone else the week prior to the village, so was he the pupil in reference? Did that mean the runt had been holding back during their fight after all? The tiger found himself feeling a bit uneasy at that possibility, but shrugged it away for the time being as he took his place beside his teachers, and steadied his thoughts. It was almost time. The fiends were nearly in range.

===

Chief Crag was talking with the husky Dally when Stahl made it to his place on the field alongside their ranks of other orcs. Stahl had a small force of beasts with him, most of which were the ones he had been training under the Captain's orders. Their battalion was focused towards the end of the wall on the right side. The husky paused mid conversation to give the wolf a wave, gesturing him over. As Stahl approached, the other canine spoke whimsically beneath that feathered hat.

"Ah! So you are among those I'll be fighting alongside? That's reassuring! The Aschefells always make for a grand tale after the battle is won! The people love cheering for you wolves!" Stahl grumbled to himself silently at the remark, but answered in turn.

PupBayou
PupBayou
79 Followers