A King's Legacy Ch. 23

Story Info
Answers are demanded, some truths are hard learned.
8.7k words
4.68
1.9k
0

Part 23 of the 45 part series

Updated 04/21/2024
Created 01/21/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
PupBayou
PupBayou
79 Followers

Chapter 23: Answers

Aster awoke with a shaky groan, his head feeling as if he had been severely beaten the night before. Every pulse of blood that pumped into his skull brought with it a searing throb, and a flash of pain. His mouth was dry, and his eyes stung as he forced them open, recoiling from the light shining through the window. The boy squinted in a bit of confusion, struggling to remember what the last half of his evening had entailed, and finally burned in his embarrassment as more and more pieces of the night returned to him. He pulled his forearm over his eyes to block the rays of sun, and grunted to himself, cursing the very morning itself, and the hangover it brought with it. A light chuckle came from Aster's side, and the boy moved his free hand to nudge lightly against the source, grazing the pelt of his wolf idly as the beast spoke in a bit of a teasing tone.

"Well, seems somebody had a little too much last night. The day after is always rough, but I can tell that's a nasty one. I hope you at least slept well? Oh! And good morning Aster." It took everything Stahl had not to poke fun at his mate too badly. Aster just grunted out a half whine in protest before speaking in a drier voice.

"This is worse than the broken bones were..." The human rolled over a bit, nuzzling into his wolf's chest as he desperately tried, (and failed,) to shake the throbbing ache behind his eyes. The beast let out an amused chuckle at the boy before speaking up once more.

"Well... Did it help at least? I'm a bit sour I wasn't there to see what you were like for your first taste of alcohol, but I know a drink can help ease heavy thoughts... And there were certainly no shortage of those around... Just, maybe not quite as much next time? Haha!"

Stahl finished his statement with a laugh, but the boy certainly didn't feel like laughing. Instead he simply grumbled out something along the lines of "Never again..." Bringing another slight chuckle to the wolf, the beast knowing how that tended to go. Instead, he brought up the real reason he had returned to the room.

"Well... Hate to be the one to tell you, but we will be heading out soon... Our supplies are already almost fully loaded, and our preparations near complete. Think you're up for a walk?" Aster most certainly was not up for a walk... Far from it, but even so, he answered his beast, perking his head up slightly at the news.

"Already? Its just... Everything that happened..." Stahl smiled at his mate kindly, understanding the feeling, but answering regardless.

"I know... It seems too soon, but we do have a job to do here. We simply can't afford to waste any time getting the prince where he needs to be..." Aster nodded lightly in acceptance, knowing the wolf was right. Stahl glanced at the impaired boy again, making a final jab. "We can't all sleep the morning away, after all." The beast flashed the human glaring up at him a playful smirk before he was finally satisfied with the teasing, delivering some hope for the human after all.

"Well... I guess your insane luck holds out for another day... Go ahead, Rust." Before Aster could ask for some explanation there, he suddenly felt a soft warmth replace the pain in his head, clearing his aches as his body was purified from the toxins. Aster suddenly found himself a lot more awake at the surprise, rolling over to see the burnt orange fox, (with the most overwhelming smile plastered across his muzzle,) staring right back at him. Aster finally broke the silence a moment later with a not so strained voice.

"Wait... YOU'RE THE HEALER RUST? WHEN-" The cub enthusiastically cut the human off, too excited and proud of himself to keep from spilling everything to his uncle. The fox told the human all about the demon that made it to the village, dropping his evident joy as he mentioned losing his mentor, but remaining a bit boastful of his rise to action regardless, and his swift resolve after to heal the wounded. The human had his own soft smile as the cub finished his recount, answering the young beast in turn.

"Wow... Your first kill was a demon... And you've got prayer magic now, thanks for fixing my ankle by the way... You're really growing up, Rust." The human reached a hand over to idly pat at the fox's head, a gesture he had picked up from his own father when giving praise. The cub beamed back towards the human, and looked over to Stahl with a mischievous smirk. The young fox spoke once more, barely containing his excitement.

"Well... There's one part I left out... I wanted to wait and just show both of you first. When I charged that demon... Something happened to me, and not just prayer magic..." The fox stood, walking a few paces over to the other end of the room where he stopped in place, and turned back towards his uncles in anticipation. The fox let his smile overtake him once more, lowered his eyes just a bit, focused on the wolf, and spoke confidently.

"Don't blink... Mark."

In a sudden flash, the young fox was sitting between his uncles, beaming his exuberant smile in sheer pride as both recoiled from the instant change of location. Aster's face lit up at the realization, excitedly grasping a hold of the cub's hands, and immediately talking the young beast up about the incredible gift... Stahl, however, found it suddenly very hard to breathe. A sweat broke out across his brow, his mouth hung ajar ever so slightly in the silent gasp he sucked in, and his mind slowed to a near halt, focusing on a single thought through his panic.

'He inherited it... He will be exposed... They will come for him...'

===

Oust was busy loading the musician's wagon with the help of a few orcs, the captain, and the husky Dally. They had been working through most of the morning, making final preparations and goodbyes as they loaded up their supplies, and the two resting beasts among them. Alice had still not awoken, and it seemed Madame Mist was now in a similar state, so the pair had been gently secured in the covered wagon. Prince Tyfin was becoming worried for his high mage, but found it a bit strange the husky didn't seem too worried about the peacock at all. It was if he had expected as much. The prince wanted to ask, but couldn't come up with a good way to do so, so he simply avoided the question.

After a short while, the prince noticed Stahl returning with Aster, whom they had all agreed to simply let rest a bit longer. Trailing a bit behind them was Rust, looking down dejectedly in deep thought, seeming to be greatly bothered by something. As the three approached, the young king nodded in greeting before he spoke.

"I do hope you were able to get a little peaceful rest, Aster?" The human smiled in embarrassment, returning the nod as he answered the beast.

"Yeah... I might've overdone it a bit... But I think I'm better off now for it. What about you? Get any rest at all?" The prince closed his eyes, smiling softly as he recalled his own unexpected night.

"It went better than I had expected it to. I think I got a few things out of my system... It still doesn't feel like we won though." The human nodded, fully agreeing with that statement, but happy Tyfin found his own comfort. The prince deserved such peace in Aster's eyes.

Just as the last bit of supplies were loaded, Sir Corper walked up to the wagon, Milky trailing behind him idly. As he did so, Oust took a knee, greeting his master with respect. Prince Tyfin took a few paces forward and nodded towards the beast with both respect, and a hint of appreciation for what he had done the night before.

"Sir Corper... I want to thank you again for your help in the battle. I am told you had a large part in killing both lesser demons. Your help was truly invaluable to us." The bear made not a sound, crossing his arms in deep thought for a moment as he closed his eyes. The burly bear made a small frown as his eyebrows furrowed in thought. Finally, the beast did answer the lion patiently waiting.

"I did what I felt I needed to at the time... Just as I am now. I believe this to be the path I am to walk now..." The seasoned warrior surprised everyone present by what he did next. The bear lowered himself on his right knee, and placed his right fist against the dirt in true Aloran fashion. He closed his eyes, and lowered his head, speaking firmly to the taken aback lion.

"Prince Tyfin of Alora, allow me to join your ranks on the mission to return you home safely... You may be the only chance any of us have left for a peaceful rule. You need to make it back to that throne, and I can help... That is, if you will allow me to." The young lion scrambled to answer, beyond humbled by the beast yet again.

"YES... Yes, I would be honored to have you, Sir Corper... Are you certain though? I know your history with both my mother and father..." The great bear looked up to the lion, speaking smoothly as he stared into his eyes.

"I once failed to protect your mother, my sworn duty. I feel this is justice in a sense... I will not fully pledge myself to any king, so know, this only extends until you have been escorted to safety. Personal feelings for your father have been set aside for now, as his justice has already been served. Do you accept my offer, knowing even this?" The prince answered once more, in a bit more assuring tone this time.

"Yes." The bear stood, giving a final bow in gratitude to the young king before he walked over a few paces, coming to tower over the intimidated human who was mostly averting his gaze in nervousness. Sir Corper took another bow, placing both knees in the dirt this time as he lowered his head before the boy, and began to speak once more.

"Aster Venatus... I am truly sorry for the way I behaved when we met. I allowed my anger to take a hold of me, and for that, I am ashamed... I understand more than most of the struggles you've had to have faced in getting where you are. I did not mean to put more burden on you... However..." The bear raised his eyes, locking onto the boy's own as he continued, making sure he understood every word.

"Your father is another matter. Should our paths cross, I will deliver my judgement on Jagón Venatus for his crime. I will deliver onto him a fitting and equal punishment for taking my wife from me, should I so choose. Knowing this, will you allow me to travel by your side?" The human took a step back, surprised by both parts of the statement. Aster clenched his jaw, turned away, and answered the bear shortly.

"I can remain peaceful. I can fight alongside you... But if the day comes, should you ever place my family in the path of your vengeance... I will defend them with everything I have. Until that day comes, nothing you pledge to my prince will change my stance." The bear stood, nodding in acceptance of such an answer. They would simply cross that bridge when they came to it.

With a few more short goodbyes, the party departed the orc village at last, leaving behind the monumental tree where Mollis had fallen with a twinge of remorse. By this time, there were only a handful of members of the traveling party left that chose to push forward. Prince Tyfin, Captain Rix, Aster, Stahl, Rust, Oust, Sir Corper, Dally, and Milky making up the bulk of the party. The unconscious Alice and Mist were also in tow. Aside from them, there was a single beast choosing to press forward with the group, the same crocodile that Aster had knocked unconscious in the captain's training for belittling Stahl. The only other beast left that made it through the most recent Selection, Fraxis Maxillos.

===

It was shaping up to be a pleasant day in Byron Aschefell's opinion. The sun was shining brightly, its golden rays warming the old wolf's bones as if it enjoyed showing him such kindness. There was a soft breeze, bringing with it the pleasant scent of the flora still blooming in late Spring for the wolf's enjoyment. To top it all off, they had been making steady progress on their trip, the dawning of the second day showing to be just as gentle as the first had.

The long ride may have rattled his bad knee a bit too much, but the wolf was enjoying the seclusion that nature provided, appreciating the countryside as he always had. There was something healing about being out of the city in the beast's opinion, and sharing that time with his family and friends both old and new only made the time spent that much sweeter to the veteran. He released a long, drawn-out yawn before turning to his son at the reigns, speaking in his usual, soothing tone.

"This truly is the best time of year, wouldn't you agree, Amboss?" The blacksmith was holding the reigns steady with his left hand, the ropes looped around his right prosthetic as he learned to work around it. He was getting much better at holding just enough pressure on it to secure things. The cheerful son answered his father in turn.

"It really is. I think it's all the life in the air." The older wolf nodded in agreement, steering the conversation as needed.

"You may just be on to something my son... But I just can't help to wonder..." The old wolf paused, side eyeing his son in a familiar way. Amboss was well aware of what that look was about before his father ever continued. "What has you so down on a day as promising as this one?" The son simply let out a sigh before confessing, his father always could see right through him.

"Last night... Rouge had a dream about Rust." The blacksmith paused, frowning just a bit as he tried to drop the subject to no avail. His father urged him on regardless, finding his interest piqued.

"And what exactly was in this dream of hers? What was it about?" The younger wolf shifted uncomfortably before reiterating for the older one.

"He was caught up in a fight. He was cornered by something... He was crying out for his father." Byron nodded, not wanting to leave this alone quite yet. Amboss continued on.

"Well... His father came to his rescue... But it wasn't me. It was him... It was his birth father. He placed a weapon in Rust's hand, and Rust grabbed a hold of it, charging at the monster and killing it with his father's weapon." Byron was deep in thought now, not liking the idea of what remained of the Sicario line ever being anywhere near the young fox. He hid his worry for his son's sake, but Amboss wasn't finished yet.

"Afterwards, Rouge called out to him... Rust turned his back on his mother, never saying a word as his father led him away, as he led my son into the darkness... She prayed I would save him, crying out for me in her panic, but when she turned back towards the monster he had killed..." The wolf trailed off, not wanting to finish that statement. He looked over to his father with a jolt when the older wolf finished it for him.

"When she turned back towards the monster, it was you lying there, killed by his weapon instead, wasn't it?" Amboss lowered his head, closing his eyes solemnly for a moment as he simply nodded. The older wolf turned back forward, staring off into the distance for a while before speaking again.

"Amboss... I am certain it is only a dream... She most certainly carries that guilt even to this day, and that guilt is playing off of her fears and anxiety in the time since separated from her cub. The same cub whom she is desperately afraid of losing like she thought she only recently had. Nothing more." The blacksmith scoffed a bit, knowing his father was only trying to ease his mood, but not feeling so certain himself.

"And what if it isn't? What if it is an omen?" Byron answered without missing a beat.

"It is merely a dream... But perhaps, it is time you tell Rosten the truth about his father? He can handle it, and he will never turn his back on his family, on his REAL family. He is a smart cub, he will understand why we did what we did now. He will love us even still." Amboss shuddered, putting the argument to bed with a final sentence.

"If he can forgive us... That may be even worse somehow..." Byron prodded no more, letting his mind process what he had heard. The veteran's seasoned instincts just couldn't seem to keep the topic out of his thoughts for very long.

===

Stahl was walking a bit behind the wagon, taking a bit of space from everyone as he processed his own worrisome thoughts. Aster was a bit surprised the beast had requested some solitude for the first time, but understood based off of Stahl's unsettling reaction to Rust's latent bloodskill surfacing. Aster knew there were things he did not know yet, but trusted his wolf to fill him in when he felt it was necessary. Stahl was ever grateful to his human for that understanding, and was midway through a thought when he heard a throat clear beside him, drawing his attention over to Sir Corper just as the beast started speaking.

"We should talk." Stahl turned away from the bear while he answered shortly, not exactly having good experiences with the beast.

"No, we should not. You've attacked me and my mate once already, unprovoked I might add, made a promise to have your revenge upon his father afterwards, and have repeatedly stated you will not truly serve any king of Alora. I'm not sure what everyone else sees in you, but I just see a problem waiting to happen. I have no plans to become attached to those I know will betray me when it suits them." Stahl half expected the bear to swing on him, but Corper only chuckled a bit before answering the wolf.

"You are wise to recognize that. Yes, we may undoubtedly find each other enemies one day, but this is not something I can simply forgive. Could you?" Stahl ignored the question, yet knew he certainly wouldn't ever forgive anyone that took his mate away from him. The bear pressed on.

"I didn't think so. Now, with that settled, I won't waste your time here... That fox is the real problem waiting to happen. Even I've heard about the mysterious disappearance of the sole heir to the Sicario bloodskill way out in this desert... But his son just showed up twelve years after he went missing... Tell me, with that bloodskill, how long do you think it will be before he is exposed? Do you believe he won't come to the obvious conclusion that your family likely murdered his father?"

Stahl shushed the bear and looked around warily, making sure nobody was within earshot of that conversation. He slowed his pace for a bit, letting the pair fall further and further behind the wagon. He finally turned to the bear sharply, and whispered to him quietly.

"Who else knows?" Corper replied flatly, dropping his own tone for the wolf's sake.

"Nobody else saw it but the simple beast, and a younger orc, and they won't be telling anyone." Stahl replied swiftly, his tone a serious one.

"What do I have to do to keep it that way?" Sir Corper answered honestly.

"Nothing. Whatever the reason, your family has chosen to protect that cub. I never liked the Sicario line... Too sneaky... Too underhanded... Too scummy. That's what got most of them killed in the first place. That fox is nothing like them, and never will be. Your house undoubtedly saved his life, regardless of the circumstances that landed him in your care... But he is in danger once more. Have you told him?" Stahl sighed, relieved his nephew's secret was safe for the time being.

"No... He has no idea about any of it. His parents decided that would be best until he came of age... We thought it had passed over him, that bloodskill... We were praying it would to be honest with you... Because now, he has one of the most powerful skills among all beasts in Alora, but he can't ever use it. It would give everything away, like you stand as proof to." Sir Corper listened to the wolf in understanding, but poked holes in that logic all the same.

"He is going to use it again. The truth is going to come out. How he finds out could determine how he handles the news, and without him knowing why he shouldn't use it, he won't understand. That cub is truly good, but there was something else back there that awoke too... I was there, I saw it. For just a short moment, as he drove that dagger into the demon's heart and took his revenge... That cub was smiling. He is a warrior, whether you want to see it or not. He will start behaving as such sooner rather than later... Teach him what he needs, or risk losing him by keeping him in the dark. I know you are not his father, but you are forced into his role in this moment. A fire never culled or given fodder will always burn out of control, or burn itself away... But a well built one will thrive how it needs. That is all I had to say. Thank you for the conversation." The bear nodded in departure, picking up his pace a bit as he walked off. Stahl called out to the bear once more before he was out of earshot.

PupBayou
PupBayou
79 Followers