A King's Legacy Ch. 23

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Hey... I don't know what your plan is here, I don't know what you hope to accomplish by joining us... But stay away from Aster, and leave Rust to me. I won't have anymore threats made to my family by you." Sir Corper almost paused to let the wolf catch up, but instead only kept on walking as he left the younger beast behind. He spoke his answer with a laugh, never turning around.

"You truly are Byron's son. He was just as protective of his family as you are. Keep that fire burning strong, Aschefell, for one day, the beasts that actually do want your lover dead may just come for him. I pray it ends better for you than it did for me."

Sir Corper didn't say another word, leaving Stahl both very uncertain of how much he could actually trust this beast, and even a bit sympathetic towards him. More than this, however, Stahl couldn't help but agree with what the bear had said about Rust... Whether or not he should really go against his brother's wishes on the matter was something he struggled with, however.

===

Rust was not exactly having a great afternoon, in fact, the young fox was very much feeling a bit defeated. He had been so proud of himself... He was so excited to tell his uncles about his power, and Stahl just completely squashed the conversation. Rust was not to use his bloodskill yet... Rust was not supposed to talk about it until he reached his father... Rust was not happy about that, and neither was Aster, who finally broke the silence of his pacing beside the cub to ask him something.

"So... How are you feeling?" Rust simply looked away, mumbling as he did so.

"I doubt I'm allowed to talk about that either at this point." Aster understood the frustration, but wasn't planning on just leaving the cub to be so angry at Stahl.

"Not what I asked, Rust. I know how it feels to not know where you come from. I get how belittling it can feel when you aren't allowed to show the world the most amazing parts of yourself... When it feels like everyone around you is always lying to you, and whispering around you... How even if they say it is to keep you safe, it doesn't stop it from just feeling like nobody trusts you. You can talk to me, Rust. I promise, I won't lie to you... But I probably don't have the answers you want right now..." The cub turned his head towards the human, and stared at him with sad eyes for a moment, thinking about what his uncle had said before he spoke out again.

"I know you understand it more than most... Was it like this when you got your shield?" Aster deflated a little himself as he answered that question, but did his best to play it off for the cub's sake.

"Yeah... I was a little younger than you when it manifested in a sparring match with my caretaker. You should've seen the way Cortist freaked out the first time, haha! After... I showed my father. I was told to never use it unless I had to, because it would reveal exactly who I was to the world... I didn't realize fully what he meant back then, but in truth, he was right about that... I've recently learned some things about myself that only proved my father made the right decision, even though I couldn't see it back then... In fact, using that shield almost got me executed back at the Selection, because it did reveal who I was. So I've learned to trust his judgement a bit more, and I've learned that things that may hurt me today, can often someday be looked back upon as necessary." Rust was silent, pacing beside his uncle with a serious look. The cub turned back forward, feeling a bit awestruck at that answer. Finally, Rust did ask another question, one Aster wasn't ready for.

"So who are you, Aster? Did learning your past help you see it more clearly?" Aster looked off into the horizon, taking a deep breath before answering that.

"If anything, it has only made it all the more confusing... I just wanted to stay who I was, To simply be who I knew myself to be... But I'm starting to see that change isn't always so bad, even if we don't always like the change we may see in ourselves at first... Would you like to know a little about what I learned? Just... Please don't tell anyone about what I'm trusting you with yet... Not until Tyfin is back on that throne." Rust nodded, hoping at least somebody would actually stay honest with him. Aster smiled, and started where he felt was appropriate, telling the cub not a single lie as promised.

"Well... My true name, was Solis Aureus..." Aster continued on, filling the fox in on everything he had learned since the ceremony. He told him of his lineage, of the heartbeat, and of the news about his adoptive family. He told Rust about his revealed human sibling, and all about his panther siblings. When he finally felt he had said enough, Rust thought deeply for a while, seemingly hesitant to ask his next question.

"So... That shadowy fire a while back... You don't really know anything about it? It's just that demon showed up again..." Aster visibly flinched at that inquiry, not too certain he had much to add there.

"Mollis had a guess... He thinks somebody hid something inside of me with a forbidden magic when I was young... But no, I really don't know what happened." Rust was making sure to think over his wording carefully, not wanting to offend the human.

"Are you going to be alright? Nothing is going to happen to you, right?" Aster frowned, appreciating the effort, but still not having a good answer.

"I try not to think about it to be honest Rust... I just don't have any way to deal with whatever it is right now... I think I'm going to be alright. I don't plan on going anywhere if I can help it..."

"And I am ever so grateful to hear that." Another voice chiming in came to Aster's rescue, changing the subject. Prince Tyfin was smiling as he closed in, resuming his praise.

"I have come to enjoy having you as an ally, Aster." The human bowed lightly to the young king, always humbled by his commentary. Prince Tyfin gave his usual wave of dismissal, feeling they were beyond the point of formalities.

"I hope I'm not interrupting?" Aster quickly shook his head, assuring the prince he was not before the lion continued. "Good to know. I had a question of my own, if you don't mind?" The human agreed, but the lion looked passed him to the fox, speaking directly to Rust. "It's actually a question for the young Aschefell cub here. May I ask a favor of you, Rust?" The fox was startled to say the least, but scrambled to answer.

"Yes Sir... How can I help?" The lion smiled softly, motioning towards the wagon just ahead of them as he spoke.

"I'd like you to try your prayer magic on lady Alice. I don't know if it will actually help or not, but maybe it can bring her back... I'm admittedly starting to worry. She's been out for almost four entire days now." Rust happily agreed to the request, and darted off for a bit to go try his luck. He returned a few minutes later, a disappointed look upon his face as he gave his report.

"I'm sorry, I don't think it's something I can fix... She doesn't actually seem hurt at all." The lion gave the cub a nod, thanking him for the effort all the same. Rust looked back to the wagon, and spoke another question.

"So... I never really thought of this before... But what's Lady Alice's story? What's her family name?" Prince Tyfin spoke as if he were repeating a textbook.

"Lady Alice, known also as 'The King's Cannon,' was actually rescued over thirty years ago during my grandfather's war with the rodent kingdom to the west. She was reportedly being held captive at the time, and was freed during the siege on their capital. She doesn't have a family name, as far as anyone knows, and she doesn't care to discuss her history very much, but that isn't too uncommon in that part of the continent. Regardless, she's indisputably the most powerful mage among our ranks now, and she has been nothing but loyal to Alora since her freedom was given to her." Rust looked back towards the wagon, having even more questions. He turned to the prince once more, finding himself intrigued now.

"So, how did we free her? Doesn't seem like much could keep her down... Not before anyway." Prince Tyfin looked off a bit in embarrassment as he answered.

"I don't know much more than that honestly... My knowledge is a bit limited by textbooks and reports." Aster released a small laugh, catching both beasts off guard as they turned to him. He elaborated for the pair.

"Sorry, it's just a bit surprising that I'm the one with the answer there. My father told me about it once, when he was having me educated about the different houses and Elite Guards. He's actually the one that freed her at the end of the siege. They had her chained in the dungeons, in an area far away, kept in a dark room, cut off from everything and everyone. They had her bound with five chains, one on each arm, each leg, and around her throat... It always seemed excessive to me, but I guess it is Alice we are talking about. If I made an enemy of her, I'd be certain to take all precautions myself." Rust looked back toward the snoozing cat with a sense of synpathy, the fox commented his thoughts after.

"She must have been very lonely like that... Do you know what she did? Why they were holding her?" Aster shook his head before answering this time.

"No... To tell you the truth, I've always wondered about that myself... But apparently, nobody knew what the charge was. When my father discovered her confinement, he fought against, and killed the only guard that even knew about the room, not that anyone realized as much at that time... There was no record of anything about her. No mentions of her prison in the earliest layout of the castle. No hints to her name, or even references of a feline prisoner at all. She didn't exist as far as anyone knew, and they were questioned under infallible truth." Rust was staring at the wagon with a furrowed brow by this point. The young fox muttered out, more to himself than anyone else.

"How strange..." Prince Tyfin chuckled a bit as he answered the rhetoric.

"Lady Alice is certainly an enigma in many ways, but I've known her my entire life. She truly is a wonderful person to learn from. She excels at pestering, and is famously impatient, that's for certain... But she has a strong sense of guidance, and a drive to share that guidance with anyone she takes an interest in... I just hope she finds her way back to us soon. Alora could use some guidance right now..." As the prince trailed off, Aster stepped a bit closer to him, reaching a reassuring hand up to the lion's shoulder.

"If Alora gets you back on that throne, we will have all the guidance we need, my king." The prince looked down to the human, smiling benevolently as he replied.

"As long as I have hearts like yours to stand with me, I'm learning to believe that such unified guidance will never steer us astray, Aster." The human smiled back, turning away a bit in his embarrassment. When he did, his eyes briefly caught those of Oust staring from a short ways away. The tiger quickly turned his head away, resuming his conversation with the larger bear walking beside him. A small frown crossed Aster's face, and Rust made a comment about it.

"You and Oust still butting heads?" Aster turned to the fox, answering defensively.

"No... Actually, I should go thank him... He is sort of the only reason I made it back to Stahl last night... I don't know what changed really, but he's different now. It's like he's..." Aster trailed off, the words eluding him. Prince Tyfin finished that sentence for him.

"It's like he's starting to emerge from that pained shell of his. He's opening up finally... Or at least to you, anyway. Perhaps you've already changed the first heart of many, Aster?" The human looked down a bit embarrassed. A moment later, and he had another question for the prince.

"Do you know much about his past? About what had him so angry and hurt before?" Tyfin went silent, thinking on that question for a bit before giving his reply.

"I don't know the full story, and I don't think it's my place to tell it off rumor alone... But I know he and his sister are the only two surviving cubs from the Candori line. His older brother was lost a few years back. He and their mother just disappeared one day... It was reported the two had ran away, but nobody has seen or heard from either since... That led many to wonder about the validity of such a rumor." Aster looked back towards the tiger as he answered.

"So... You think his father had something to do with it then?" Prince Tyfin didn't answer out loud, but he locked eyes with the human, and nodded slightly, confirming his suspicions. Aster looked off to the tiger once more, and felt something within himself yearning to ease such pain. Oust had been there for him through a very low point the night before, and Aster wanted to return such kindness however he could.

Suddenly, that pain became very real, and Aster felt something stab at his heart for a moment, physically jolting him as he clutched at his chest, halting his pace as he doubled over a bit. He was visibly straining in place as he had the most odd sensation come over him. For just a second, before the feeling faded entirely along with the pain, Aster could've sworn he felt a shield raise up, as if he were holding one up himself. The prince and the fox both gave the human a worried glance, but the boy brushed it off without much though, and Instead, they simply marched forward in idle conversation. The group of beasts continued onwards until nightfall before camping. They would reach the thicket in the morning.

===

Cortist was sulking in the darkness, still angry about being forced to watch the recent battle without being allowed to help his brother. Cortist could've made a big difference in the battle, he could've prevented such needless loss, but despite his pleading, the demon would not allow him to leave, never even answering his questions. The demon was fond of silence it seemed, as Cortist soon discovered his questions would stay unanswered, more so considering the creature had departed shortly after the battle, closing up the windows and leaving the panther alone in the darkest solitude for quite some time. Finally, the young mage stood, screaming at the top of his lungs in his despair, his words swallowed into the void.

"I KNOW YOU'RE LISTENING! WHY AM I HERE? WHY MUST I WATCH HELPLESSLY! WHY MUST MY BROTHER FIGHT ALONE? ANSWER ME, YOU STUPID FUCKING GO-" That whispery voice of his master filled the silence, chuckling at his exasperated young envoy before he ever finished cursing the god of death.

"My... Such an impatient child. I suppose your mother is to blame for that... Your separation is temporary, until the shield bearer knows. You may rejoin him after he has chosen... My daughter is already meddling more than I can allow." Cortist jumped at the unexpected answer, but recovered plenty fast enough to answer that voice.

"Until he knows? HE ALREADY KNOWS! He has learned everything he possibly could about himself! What more must I wait for?" Death laughed once more.

"Oh? Will you feign such ignorance with me? You know what he must discover, for it is the very thing that led you to me, that led you to learn how to call for me, my child." Cortist shuddered, answering death regardless.

"The blood magic... Did you put that there? Was it you that cursed my brother?" The voice replied a bit tauntingly.

"Yes, I did, as part of a bargain. A deal was made, and that's the only reason you even have him for a brother at all. He would have perished over twenty years ago were it not for me. Solis Aureus was mine to claim, the last shield bearer was mine to drag into the darkness. The world was mine to drag into the darkness after him... But I made a deal. I gave your world one last chance to fix the imbalance of the gods... To see the folly of your ways. The boy will make his choice soon, and you may run to him then, my child... If there is anything left to run to." Cortist screamed out at the voice once more, finding himself tired of such half answers.

"I'M NOT SURE WHICH IS WORSE, YOUR VAGUENESS, OR THE DEMON'S SILENCE!" Death answered this as if it were a question too.

"My soldier does not answer you because I do not allow him to. I've forbidden him from speaking on certain things. If answers are what you seek, I have already told you, call upon my power, call upon my name. I can tell you many things, my child... But you too shall be forbidden from speaking on them until I allow it." Cortist scoffed, not feeling very compliant as he replied in a tone laced with resentment.

"I am not your puppet." Death laughed loudly, its echo carrying endlessly into that vast darkness, amused by such ignorance.

"Speak your name then, my child, and I will free you from your service to me." Cortist clenched his fists tightly, drawing in a breath as he prepared to yell his name. His voice caught in his throat before the sound ever formed. A shiver ran down his spine, the words clumped together like mud in his mouth, and a penetrating grasp of ice clutched tightly around his heart, threatening to squeeze the very life from it should he dare continue. A terrible feeling came over the panther, as he realized what disobeying his master would mean. If Cortist ever spoke anything deemed forbidden, his life would be taken from him immediately. Death let out a pleased, mocking sentence.

"Why do you hesitate, my child? Do you not want your freedom? Are you perhaps content merely being my puppet after all? I applied that restriction only moments ago... Can the young, prodigal mage of Alora really be bested so easily? Are you such an obedient cub? Let's test that... Kneel." Cortist's knee slammed to the ground below sharply, his body moving on its own as he vainly struggled to stop the action. Death spoke again.

"Not enough. Place your head in the dirt, show me how much you truly want to serve me." Cortist's forehead hit the ground roughly, sending sharp waves of pain through his skull as a cry shot from his maw. Death wasn't through making his point, pressing the panther further.

"Now purr for your master, like a good kitten." A wave of shame overtook the big cat as he was humiliated so easily, his throat betraying him as a low rumble echoed forth, purring as if he were enjoying such treatment. Death amusingly gave the feline a final order.

"Hold your breath." Cortist felt his lungs seize instantly, stopping his purring and stealing away his air as he struggled to defy the god. The young mage was held there mercilessly for a moment, his arms trembling as he wondered when he would black out before the voice finally spoke into the darkness once more.

"You may breathe." Cortist immediately sucked in air, gasping as he choked in a breath of life. The panther panted in place for a moment before Death spoke to him again.

"You certainly seem like a puppet to me, or did you believe breaking your word to a god was so easily done?" Cortist was feeling defeated, he was feeling hopeless, he was alone, he was trapped, and he was silently sobbing in that darkness, his head still firmly ordered against the ground below him. Death took on a mock tone of affection when he spoke again.

"Shhh. It's alright little kitten. Most of your kind cry when they realize how futile it is to fight me. Just remember this the next time defiance crosses your mind. I wonder what the shield bearer would think to be reunited with his brother at last, only for his best friend to tell him how much he hated him, how much he had always hated him... I could order you to first crush his heart with your words, then with your magic... Better yet... What would your fiancée think when her beloved abruptly cut off their engagement? I wonder how many tears she would cry when you told her you have taken a prettier, more worthy bride. That she was merely a useful toy that actually believed a noble son of Alora could ever truly love a common born like her..." Cortist was reaching new levels of panic as the god made his threats. The panther whimpered, finally accepting his circumstances as he spoke in a broken voice.