A Legal Trap Ch. 01

Story Info
Trans paralegal Elizabeth gets drawn into a dark mystery...
4.5k words
4.56
6k
4

Part 1 of the 18 part series

Updated 06/16/2023
Created 03/24/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Author retains all rights to this original work of fiction.

Thank You for reading my story! I would enjoy hearing your thoughts,

criticism, and ideas on how to make this story better. Rachel M. Moore

March 8th, 10:46 AM

I had my head buried in briefs all morning and totally spaced on the time, so it wasn't much of a surprise to look up and see Lisa standing outside my office. I mouthed 'Sorry...' to which she just gave me a look like, 'Girl, get your ass out here!'

I smiled and so did she, opening the door to complain in earnest, "We're late... Gonna miss me some Bryant downstairs! Sheesh!"

I shook my head, "Not like you're ever going to ask him out..." I instantly regretted saying that, it just sort of slipped out. I hoped she knew I was kidding.

"I'm working up to it. A marathon, not a sprint, told you that," she laughed.

I felt a little relief that she blew off my comment and we wasted no time heading toward the elevators. If we moved any faster it would look like we were trying to escape a prison or something.

March 8th, 10:58 AM

Bryant was the UW grad student who worked the morning shift at the espresso stand in the lobby of our building. His shift ended at 11 and we were generally down there by 10:30 so Lisa could do her flirting thing. He was a couple years younger than she was and played along like a champ. It was fun to watch and he certainly added fuel to the fire with his own form of flirting back at her. If they ever did go out on a date, they would probably just sit around awkwardly wondering what to say to each other. Lisa was bold in a crowd of friends, not so much alone she'd told me once.

We rode the elevator down from the 18th floor to the lobby, making faces at each other, behind the backs of a couple guys in suits talking about their upcoming fishing trip to Ocean Shores this weekend. I had to stare at my phone to keep from cracking up at her hilariousness behind their backs.

I met Lisa on my first day working for Brandt, Wentz, and Larson during our HR indoctrination - we started on the same day. I'm not sure that day could have been more awkward for me having to listen to rules for everything from conduct, office romances, to bathrooms use based on gender identification. She might not have felt uncomfortable, but I certainly was through the three-hour presentation.

She figured out what was going on quick enough and in her book a total non-issue. Surprisingly, or maybe not surprisingly for left leaning liberal Seattle or a law firm, my situation was pretty much a non-issue for everyone I have had the opportunity to work with - so far. I felt lucky to finally have a friend though, even if our friendship was mostly during work hours. My first break in just over 6 years of this transition journey to being the real me.

In the lobby we wasted no time getting in line for coffee and as Bryant's last customers of the day, he said he was going to make our drinks extra special. Lisa whispered, "I know I'd like something extra and special..." She had a devilish grin and a twinkle in her eye.

I smiled and turned away, trying to hold in the giggles. She was crazy and I

really did love her for how she treated me - I was just one of the girls.

The rest of their bantering, when Bryant had finished our drinks, was relatively tame. They tried to drag me into their flirting routine, but I declined to contribute. We all laughed and our mid-morning break ended on a high note where Bryant was concerned. Lisa had gotten her daily Bryant fix, I got some laughs, and we both got our caffeine fixes.

We usually would find a standup table near the atrium to drink our coffee so Lisa could stare at him, but she said she was working on something for Janet, one of the partners in the firm, with a deadline of before lunch. The ride back up to the 18th floor was all talk about what she would like Bryant to do to her, not too graphic, but she sure laid it on thick.

She complained about this being the longest dry spell she'd had in a couple years. We hadn't exchanged much in the way of my life long emotional desert when it came to men, friends, and my family. My life was certainly more complex. I almost wish there had been others on the empty elevator, since I had already heard her spiel a few times.

I wondered if she knew how much easier she had it than I did. I was sure everyone at the firm knew my story by now. On the one hand, I should be happy no one treated me with kid gloves or like I was fragile. Then again, I wished they could grasp the extent of my struggles to be where I was today - it had been crushing a lot of the time. I'd thought many times of checking out of this world. Nothing about how I got to this point in my life was easy. Augh! Get off the pity train. Why do I do this every time! I should be thankful for where I am today, here, right now - thankful. What did my psychiatrist always say? "You make your happiness, own it, be thankful..."

March 8th, 1:24 PM

I had just entered another RCW (Revised Code of Washington) search and was pouring through references when the phone rang. I could see it was originating from the large conference room near the partners offices, not one of the common use ones, "This is Elizabeth, how can I help you..."

I felt a little self-conscience about talking on the phone and this being an internal call I knew I needed to sound extra professional in case there were clients in the room. I hoped I wasn't on speakerphone. I found it best to talk slower, focused on my pronunciations, my tone, and to keep my sentences short, to the point - I think it annoyed some people. Probably made them think I was being overly calculated.

Seriously though, everything I had to do was calculated, a risk...

"Elizabeth, do you have a couple minutes to come meet with us?"

I knew the voice, Janet Larson. I had no idea who the 'us' was or whether I was on speakerphone. "Yes, Ms. Larson. I'll be right there..."

"Thank you," was the reply before the line went dead.

I have battled extreme bouts of anxiety the last however many years, due to the stresses of the path I chose and have a prescription for Xanax - which works incredibly fast for me when taken right away or when I know I will be in stress-filled situations. It's not the only drug I've been prescribed to control or balance my being, but it was a wonder drug I could have used from the time I hit my teens.

I could feel the tell-tale tightening in my chest, fear roiling in my stomach. I reached for my purse, grabbed the prescription bottle, tapping out a single.25 MG white pill - downing it with a gulp of cold coffee. Work quickly! I stood, straightened my skirt, and buttoned my sweater up. I caught my reflection in the glass of my office door and thought I looked the part of a legal secretary - now to execute that role.

Don't panic! I had my fully charged voice-recorder, two pads of legal paper, three pens, two highlighters, and enough confidence in that little pill I'd just swallowed to get through whatever was waiting for me in the conference room. You can do this! Breathe...

When I rounded the corner of the hallway leading to the partners conference room, my heart skipped a beat. Each of the three partners were in the room, no one else.

My first thoughts were maybe I wasn't past my ninety day probation period and this gathering was for my termination. I walked at least ten steps without breathing. I could hear my skirt brushing against the slip under my skirt, the slip whishing against the pantyhose, my toes were cold. Could others hear these sounds?

I felt tunnel vision coming on and I tried to study the faces of the partners, noticing they were not looking at me and looked to be in deep discussion about something. Was one of them arguing to keep me on? What was I going to do now? Would unemployment cover at least a portion of my monthly bills? I owed my mom a couple thousand dollars still and she needed me to pay regularly. Wait, where is the HR representative?

My hand reached for the door and I pushed it open, forcing a smile at the serious faces that had just stopped talking as I walked in. I felt unsteady and quickly went to the nearest chair, setting down my supplies, and sliding heavily into the chair none too ladylike. Hands together on the conference table in front of me, posture perfect - maybe a little too rigid, but I couldn't relax.

"Thank you for joining us Elizabeth."

"Happy to... assist you Mr. Wentz?" My nerves were getting the better of me and I could hear it in my voice. When I felt like I was losing it I would play the 'What do I know' game to focus my mind on something other than how I was about to totally die, be riding in an ambulance, stop breathing...

Jacob Wentz, managing partner, 56 years old, married to Elisa; she was a pediatrician at Seattle Lutheran Hospital, two children - Jacob Jr. was 8 years old, Mirabella was 10. Jacob lived on Mercer Island and was very active in the community. He founded the firm 29 years ago and interviewed me twice. I have a signed letter from Jacob offering me the job as a legal secretary / paralegal investigator.

Why was I being called into the conference room? I started on January 3rd - I was past my 90 probation period, this has to be something else, right?

"We appreciate you coming down to talk with us. To set your mind at ease we all think you are doing a wonderful job. Everyone says you are incredibly organized, resourceful, and can think out of the box. We hope you are enjoying your stay with us."

Martin Brandt had just spoken. He was a partner, 42 years old, lead litigant on the firms highest profile cases, single - divorced Michelle three years ago, one child - age 3, named Charlie. He lives in a high-rise condominium in the down town core, likes to play hockey, and travels to lecture at colleges around the country.

What did he mean by 'stay with us'? I was confused. Do I answer? The pause seemed uncomfortably long, say something! "Thank you Mr. Brandt. I really enjoy working here and everyone has been so wonderful to me."

I was hoping the weight of the ten-thousand pound gorilla on my back would be shifting off me, based on his compliment. Okay, happy happy thoughts now! Why did this room feel so warm?

"Elizabeth, did you happen to catch the news today?"

Janet Larson - she was a senior partner, 41 years old, highest grossing partner. Partnered with a woman named Angela, no children. Why didn't I know what Angela did for a living? Janet was dressed impeccably, so much so she could out style many of the top models out there.

It would be a lie to say I didn't try to incorporate her design and style cues in my own Target and Wal-Mart based wardrobe. We interviewed twice and whether it was on purpose or a nod to my struggles, she mentioned being very involved with the local LBGTQ community. It was a bright-spot from the interviewing process, if there was such a thing.

She was the most thorough interviewer, going over my Paralegal community college curriculum degree in greater detail than I thought normal. She was also, the only one to ask what my future plans might be. She asked me to tell her what the opportunity to work here would mean to me. Janet scared Lisa, but I never felt that way. Not sure why.

Did I catch the news today? I had. I knew the weather forecast - rain, high today 46; low overnight was 39; winds should be light and out of the east. More to the firms concern though would be the news that the mayor was trying to limit the Port of Seattle's union bargaining power in future negotiations with the city. Since we represented the union - this is likely what we are going to be talking about, maybe I was going to assist Martin somehow - a twinge of adrenaline hit.

"I saw the report about the mayor's new union bargaining stipulations and how she wanted to get it before the City Council," I stopped speaking when Martin looked over to Jacob, who nodded ever so slightly.

"Yes," Martin began, "we've got that issue handled. What we were wondering is whether you had heard about anything outside of Seattle, specifically news from Phoenix and a connection to the firm?"

Phoenix? What does a case in Phoenix have to do with Brandt, Wentz, and Larson? We didn't practice in Arizona. I guess we could if someone had passed the Uniform Bar Exam there. I think if any of our lawyers were practicing on the Federal level, there was an opportunity to try a case in another state.

"No, I did not hear anything on the news about Brandt, Wentz, and Larson in regards to Phoenix..." I'm sure the confusion on my face was evident.

Jacob looked uncomfortable, picked up his pen and pointed to something on the pad in front of him, Janet nodded. He looked at Martin, who also nodded. I just watched the three of them, wondering what was going on. Was I going to be fired? No something else is going...

"My younger sister," Jacob began, "lives in Phoenix. She's happily married, a stay at home mom, three great kids. Two years ago, after a few rough years, her son came out as not wanting to identify as a male. He was fifteen and it, it was a rough transitioning for everyone," his voice was breaking and he stopped speaking. I could feel the air being sucked from the room listening to Jacob speak - from my lungs also. Was that possible? My feet were freezing, my fingers were clenched tighter than I realized. I could see my knuckles were white. I felt an instant aching. I wasn't sure I could speak and managed a feeble nod of my head.

Janet reached over to Jacob's hand, "Elizabeth, we won't pretend to know how something like this effects a child brave enough to make this decision or the family that tries to make its way through the new family dynamic. In an effort to get past some of the awkwardness, we need to remind you that as part of your employment agreement you signed a non-disclosure agreement. You understand your obligation in regards to the agreement, as it concerns this firm, correct?"

There was a buzzing in my ears; I looked from Janet to Jacob, "I understand my obligations to Brandt, Wentz, and Larson under the confidentiality agreement."

I don't think I sounded very confident, but it was the best I could do. I could feel the knot in my stomach tightening. When was that Xanax going to kick in?

"Thank you. Last week Amber did not come home after school. She was reported missing after her third period class at Collins high school. Stephanie, Jacobs sister, was notified within an hour to see if Amber had an appointment or permission to be absent - she did not. The police were brought in immediately. That evening her computer was scanned and they found a number of leads. Her phone was traced and eventually recovered. The police have followed a couple of leads, but have little more than unanswered questions. That was six days ago," Janet paused to see if I had any questions.

I was so focused on there being a missing Trans teenager I missed everything Janet had said. Were the police involved yet? Did they try to track her phone? Wait, she said something about a phone. Six days? Oh my God!

"Stephanie called Jacob this past weekend asking for his help. He's set a few things in motion - including hiring a computer forensics specialist who has uncovered a few social network accounts the police had missed. He thinks she also has a few other accounts, subscription type accounts, and at least two crowd funding accounts. On a memory card from her camera there were videos she made - these were probably live streamed. There's more, but,"

Jacob looked uncomfortable and I couldn't help but interrupt Janet, "I'm so sorry Mr. Wentz, if there's anything I can do, I... I would be..."

Janet nodded as if approving of my interruption, "Thank You Elizabeth. The reason for this meeting was to see if you would be willing to join the team Jacob has put together in Phoenix. We realize this is a highly unusual request and appreciate that you might be willing to assist. We'd like you to think about committing, take the rest of the day and let us know tomorrow. Your decision will not affect your current position should you decline."

What was there to think about? I was about to answer, when Jacob and Martin slid their chairs back. Martin made his way to the door, but Jacob stood and looked over something he'd had written. "I'll cover that with Elizabeth, go ahead, you've got a plane to catch."

"Thank you Janet and thank you Elizabeth for considering helping us find

Amber..."

I nodded and watched Jacob leave the conference room, catching up with Martin who was obviously lingering in the hallway. I turned back to Janet, "I can't imagine what his family is going through..."

"I think you might have more insight than most Elizabeth, at least on some aspects of this situation. I would caution you to really think this over; you might be pulling scabs off old wounds, and possibly creating a few more. Amber may have been into some things you're going to find disturbing. That's what Jacob was going to mention before leaving. His forensics guy reports finding links to a number of porn sites where there is content that includes her. The police informed Jacob it's possible this will turn into a case for the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children as a possible sex trafficking abduction. Jacob knows the local director for the FBI in Phoenix, so there could be some assistance given to us from them. I really want you to think this over though, as you can imagine emotions are running high."

I exhaled slowly, "Thank you Ms. Larson, I... I'm struggling with a number of emotions right now concerning Amber," I said as my voice cracked, tears were already welling in my eyes, and I dropped my head as the first began to slowly

course down my cheek.

I felt her hand on my shoulder as I tried to stifle a slow sob. How did she get on this side of the conference room table so quickly? Was there a fan buzzing in the room?

"It's alright Elizabeth... Just relax. Let go... I'll tell Jacob you're not up for this assignment."

"nah...," and I tried to look up at Janet, "No, I want to help... I'll, go..." More tears fell.

Janet handed me a tissue and I feebly tried to dab at the tears. "Are you sure?" she asked.

"Yes..." There was no way I sounded confident, but something about this beckoned me to get involved. I couldn't explain it if I tried, but I would do my best to help.

"All right then, I'll have Kendal make the necessary reservations. She will call you as soon as she has your itinerary. I will have her issue you a company credit card, but that will probably have to be delivered to your hotel. She'll have a car pick you up tomorrow morning to get you to the airport and from the airport in Phoenix to the hotel. I'll authorize a $500 per diem for expenses and $1,000 dollar stipend - which will be later classified as a bonus, so don't worry about accounting for that." She was writing all this down as fast as she was speaking.

There was a long pause, had she asked me something?

"I think it best that you take the rest of the day, go home, pack, relax... I think Jacob wanted you for the rest of this week, through next Friday. If it goes longer, we can reevaluate. We'll clear your work, reassign as necessary - any questions for me?"

I slowly shook my head.

"OK then...," she pulled a business card from her pocket and wrote on it,

"This card has my direct contact numbers. I can be reached at each of these numbers and if unavailable for some reason I'll get back to you within five minutes. Now, listen to me closely..."

She paused to make sure we were making eye contact, "You will call me daily and let me know what is going on with the investigation, with Jacob, with everything. Are we clear?"

Janet's tone wasn't bitchy, but it left no doubt who I was expected to answer to. "I understand Ms. Larson..."

12