A Legal Trap Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Write your cell phone number here for me, Please...", she slid her tablet in front of me.

I did as requested. She looked at the number, nodded, thanked me for agreeing to help, and exited when it was obvious I had nothing to add or had any questions.

I felt very alone in the silence of the empty conference room. I wasn't cold anymore, but was sure my makeup was shot. I gathered my supplies and made my way back to my office; packed my backpack, grabbed my coat and purse, and headed to catch an early bus home.

March 8th, 6:11 PM

It took only two hours to make it to my apartment in Kent. The bus routes mid-day were much quicker than during the rush-hour commute. I was home by 4:45 PM rather than the usual 7:00 PM mark. My daily commute averaged three hours and two bus changes, plus a short walk on both ends. If I could afford a car, insurance, and the monthly parking fee I would probably be able to cut my commute time in half. Seattle traffic sucked!

Kendal called while I was still on the bus to give me the details of the trip. I was flying first class on Alaska Airlines direct to Phoenix, leaving at 6:44 AM - a car would be at my apartment at 4:30 AM to take me to the airport. This would be the second time I had flown in my life, first time in first class.

I hadn't flown since I was 10 years old when my family went to Disneyland. I remember my brother Alex was consumed with the Pirates of the Caribbean, Matterhorn, and pretty much everything in the California Adventure side of the park. I remember I just wanted to see the princesses, to be one of them. I haven't talked to him in almost a year.

Good news, I could check-in online any time for the flight, Kendal told me. I didn't want to think about my family right now. Give me more details so I won't think about the past...

Kendall said I would be staying at the Canyon Suites in Scottsdale, which was only a few miles from Jacob's sister home. They were prepared for me to check-in early and there would be a driver at the airport waiting for me. "Look for the placard with your name on it", she said.

She said payroll had processed the stipend and the money would be available for withdraw tomorrow morning from my checking account. She mentioned that American Express would be delivering my corporate credit card to the hotel by noon tomorrow. I needed to keep all receipts and fill an expense report when I got back.

Lastly, she said all this would be detailed in an email - I stopped trying to memorize the details and stared out the window at the gray and rain. I wonder what the weather in Phoenix was like, what my brother was doing.

March 8th, 6:59 PM

I had been thinking about the trip while staring at a pathetic selection of clothes hanging in my closet and felt panicked that I wouldn't have enough of the right types of clothes to last the nine days I was scheduled to be in Phoenix. I picked out the dirty clothes from the hamper I'd worn Monday and Tuesday. If I got them in the washers downstairs now - I calculated they would be done by 9:00 PM at the latest. I rushed to get that moving.

What was I going to do if I ran out of clothes to wear? If I had more time I could try to get some new outfits from the Goodwill store. Most of my better pieces were designer wear that had been previously enjoyed. Sure, some were dated, but it was my style - at least that's what I told myself. For what I could afford shopping there was a Godsend.

Wouldn't matter though, I only have about $53 dollars in the bank and $6 in my wallet - pointless to think I could go shopping tonight. Do what you can with what you have. Quit over thinking every step! Get the clothes in the washer! Why was I being so anal?!!

March 8th, 9:39 PM

I zipped the tattered suitcase shut and fired up my Android tablet to do the online check-in. I declared a single bag - two were included as a first class flyer - and had the boarding pass sent to my phone. How did I rate flying first class?

I returned to my closet and tried to figure out if there was anything else I could piece together for another outfit and just gave up. I needed to get to bed before I started doubting my decision to help Jacob. I had too many unanswered questions and a few unchecked emotions that were sure to fuck me up before this was over.

I set my alarm and a second one on my phone. As I lay in the dark, the stillness slipped around me, it was drowning me... I'm awake, right? Amber is...

::: --- :::

12