A Life Unknown Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
TheDok
TheDok
282 Followers

***

The Boston Naval Shipyard opened in 1800 and closed in 1974. Its purpose was to build, convert and repair warships. During the First World War over 450 vessels were repaired or fitted in the yard.

***

The USS Jacob Jones was a destroyer and only one of two American Naval vessels lost in combat in the First World War. On the 6th of December 1917 she was returning to her base in Queenstown in Southern Ireland from Brest whilst escorting a convoy. She was the last ship to leave Brest and was isolated from the other destroyers in the convoy when she was torpedoed at 4.20 in the afternoon. She sank in only eight minutes without any call of distress as her own armed depth charges exploded. Sixty six men died and forty six survived, but the death toll would have been higher but for the humanitarian action of the submarine commander Hans Rose. He surfaced and rescued two badly injured men and then radioed the US base at Queenstown the position of the survivors.

The exact position of the wreck remained unknown until August 2022 when it was located forty miles from the Scilly Islands and 115 metres deep. The ships bell has been recovered.

***

The term Jinx meaning something or someone that brings bad luck was first used in American English in 1910 in the book The Jinx by Allen Sangree.

***

TheDok
TheDok
282 Followers