All Comments on 'A Long Time from Home Ch. 30'

by Athlantian

Sort by:
  • 3 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

"The predecessor of Latin is Old Latin, which is an archaic stage of the language for which we have direct evidence in terms of inscriptions. Old Latin in turn descended from Proto-Italic and ultimately from Proto-Indo-European." Next, you'll tell us that you were born in Arizona and moved to Babylonia.

AthlantianAthlantianover 1 year agoAuthor

Dear Anonymous.

What are you talking about? First of all, in a story that includes Atlantis, magic, mental powers, supernatural creatures and more, it's kinda strange to focus on the language that are spoken in this story.

However, let us take a look at it, since you brought it up.

In the flashbacks, we're around 1200BC, placing it timewise at the same time as Proto-Italic. Baylon (The in-story name for Atlantis) arrived to earth around 3500BC, meaning that they had some 2300 years to influence any language spoken by humans. Considering that the Baylons at the time was a more advanced civilization, it's more than likely, that Baylon would have names for the inventions the humans made, and they made a lot of inventions in the Bronze age (Potters wheel, sails, the chariot, indoor plumbing and sewage just to name a few). Baylon words could have been used for those inventions, creating an influence that would last while the language evolved.

Another point, is that such influence is close to impossible to track over such a long time. Some say that Proto-Italic split from the Proto-Indo-European language somewhere around 2500BC, leaving at least a thousand years to influence Proto-Indo-European and another thirteen hundred years to influence Proto-Italic.

So my in-story claim could just as easily be true, but to be honest, it's a fruitless debate (And I still don't understand your Arizona-Babylonia comment.) I hope that someone else can clue me in.

sirwoodcuttersirwoodcutterover 1 year ago

Hello Athlantian. I have read all the chapters of your story over the last few days. I haven't read any of the comments on the first 29 chapters, tbh I got to this story late. Wanted to share my feedback. I have enjoyed the progress and pace as the story swaps from past to present in the alternate chapters. Nice way to keep the story from two different periods moving forward, not a new concept but you've used it well. I have found myself wanting to resume reading the story at every available moment. That puts your writing at

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous