All Comments on 'A Love Like Fireflies'

by xaviermayne

Sort by:
  • 133 Comments
ptagoggaptagogga11 months ago

Well written. Unfortunately, this is a reality. Been in such a relationship for 3 years when I was in my twenties, it was pure murder of the soul. It left me a mere shadow of the person I was. At 45, I found the man of my dreams, and we have been married for the past 5 years.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

The ending was so terribly sad.

Nick is a nasty, cheating piece of work just using Pete for company, when Pete helped him at his lowest also which makes it seem even worse.

Pete deserves to be with a man who loves him and will be faithful. You are a brilliant writer but I'm really disappointed that you ended your story like this.

bearboy1492bearboy1492over 1 year ago

What kind of ending is that? After all that time invested in this story and that’s how it ends?

PrinceraPrinceraalmost 2 years ago

It can’t end like this noooooooooo nah come on

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Best and saddest thing I have ever read. Left me broken……

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Brilliant! One of the very best stories on these sites! A beautiful heartfelt tale, beautifully written, interwoven with laugh-out-loud snark, a Transylvanian travelogue, current events, and some deep reflections on sexuality, love, pigeonholing, and more. Bravo!

dnsontndnsontnalmost 3 years ago

I lost every free moment of the past four days to this story and, laundry be damned, I'll do it again. I know I'll read this story again. Such a great read. Such a great read...

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Great!

I am giving this five stars for the wonderful intense writing of a unique story. I just loved the character development and unusual twists. The intensity of the love that formed between two very different individuals was intriguing. The poetic moment with the fireflies was magical and had me emotional. However, it didn’t make sense to me for Nick to go to the extent of possibly taking his life for love of Pete after expressing such depth of understanding of life to then show such shallowness at the end.

RobJasperRobJasperalmost 4 years ago
Loved the story

I loved the story. I stopped reading after the guys were heading off to college as saw controversy about the ending in the comments. But loved the story and think it is the author's choice to end it however he wants. My favorite part was the skinny dipping followed by Nick's errection and climax while splayed out sleeping on the rocks. Wonderful erotic descriptions and such a hot long-term fantasy of mine! Thank you!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Wow, Such an amazing story... To bad about the pathetic very rushed ending!! Heartbreaking waste of time!!!

I'm sorry I invested the time reading this entire story! It was very well written, and hooked me right away! These two had something exceptional going on! Many ups and downs, emotional heartbreak at times, but they hung in there and came out the other side somewhat intact!! Most people don't intentionally hurt someone they love by lying and cheating on them!! Nick had made such headway in becoming someone better! He helped Pete come out of his shell, then he destroyed all of it because he needed to meet his selfish sexual needs outside of the relationship! They have zero chance of surviving together... So fucking sad. This beautiful story deserved a HEA ending... So very disappointed!!

4agoodtimecall4agoodtimecallalmost 5 years ago
Blindsided!

WTF? I feel like I was cheated out of a decent ending. There were too many unanswered questions left. And how could Pete not think that they were on the same page re: exclusivity, especially when Nick plans to take his life and carries out steps to do do s, if he can't have Pete? It pisses me off that Nick turns Pete's world inside out from jump, but then it's like changes his mind and Pete's just not enough. He wants to change the menu to include lady bits. It all begins to feel like Nick isn't quite who you think he is....and maybe he's not through running his game on everyone, re: everything. Nothing is sacred! I couldn't believe that even though his jaunt to "v-town" wasn't fulfilling anymore, he still shatters Pete again by saying that he needed to and would be with women ...and it's so rich to give Pete permission to be with Josh. The nerve! And of all things,...for sweet Pete to blindly catch him in another lie about his nude modeling, and to hear him openly brag about his "date" and all the sex they had, odiferous enough that they "had showered together"...yet even still he comes home, (after an argument) to bed knowingly reeking of said woman. Now that seems intentionally inflicted, right? I think that Pete's loyal to his core and will NOT be able to stomach this open relationship for long. I think it's gonna cause him to revert back to making himself physically I'll worrying about who he's becoming...not liking who he sees himself becoming, and will blame Nick for his downfall, if he continues to follow Nick's valueless lead. It can only lead to heartache.

I would love,... No NEED you to finish their stories. I get it that Nick is so screwed up from his parents issues and abandonment, as well as his warped sense of values, especially re: his body. I think Nick's afraid to go all in, 100% exclusively committing to Pete alone, because that would leave him vulnerable. He thinks he's shielding himself if he calls the shots, but I think that bottle of pills he traded his car for says that if Pete refuses to share him, insisting on all or nothing, Nick will become strictly dick-ly.

I'd like to see their problems (Nick's financial aid/money issues, his need for attention, his need for Pete & women, his abandonment issues, his lying, his self worth, his sex offender record, his modeling career resurrected; Pete & Nick's fledgling relationship thriving and both their identities solidified. I'd love to see them make it....to a real "happily ever after", with a perfect proposal, marriage, home and family, with thriving careers...EVERYTHING Nick was deprived of! He deserves it and so does Pete!

I know it's been a long time since you submitted this story and I know there are glimpses of them in the Cupid stories, but just enough to clue you in that there's some untold pain in their story, ....PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE just take the time to reread their story to get y'all reacquainted...so you can write a part 2 to flesh out their demons, salvation, problems and solutions...and then top it off with the perfect epilogue. They're perfect characters and it'd be a disgrace not to let them tell their stories. Hope springs eternal, so... I'll keep checking back, hoping you're letting those keystrokes fly.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
That was sad :(

Great story but the ending is sad :( they obviously didn't last.

MickyFox0MickyFox0over 5 years ago
Sod you lot.

I liked it. And if you lot read it, instead of wanking. You would realise where Nick and Pete were coming from. Take Nick for starters, both parents out of the picture and a lousy uncle. Figured that showing his body off was an easy way to work his way through education and then he meets Pete. And seduceses the guy. Both seem to bi. The only problem is that Pete is more into guys or rather Nick.while Nick ,er, wants his cake and eat it as it were. It's just him and the camera, no one touches him, unless you count the one night stands with the women? That but I don't like. But that is life, how many of us would like him to sponge off Pete? They are too independent and young. They might stay together and they might not , who are we to say? I liked it , a slice of life that ain't covered in honey, and sugar. Keep up the good work. Has the rushed ending, is it the end?

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
I hate u

Ive spent hours reading this and it was hard to follow, but how did nick go from loving pete more thsn anything to want to sleep with other people, so dissapointing. Ill never read anither submission of yours..

kalula64kalula64over 5 years ago

Such an amazing story, I've sat here reading it all the way through. But have to say the ending was a total let down. Did not like that ending at all, otherwise you tell a great story, very gifted writer but seems like you lost your interest in the end and just made up quickie ending with out much thought. Look forward to reading more none the less.

Jeff

vanmyers86vanmyers86over 5 years ago
Firefly scene

The stars and fireflies scene is one of the best, most lyrical pieces of writing I have seen here. Like many other reviewers, I didn't care for the ending, but my goodness! That scene was worth it. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Great story it...

Such a shit ending. I get that polyamory exists but this was a build up to nothing. Utter bull shit of a rush job.

ilovegibbsilovegibbsover 5 years ago
WTF? What kind of shitty ending is that?

I stayed up til 3:00am to finish this story and I have to get up at 7:00am, and this is how you end it? Seriously? It wasn't worth staying up for! I'm pissed. I agree with just about all of the other comments. The story was awesome up until they got to college. Then it turned to crap, did you rush it or what? I kept reading because I had to know what happened next. I'm sorry I did. I won't read it again because of that ending. There are plenty of stories I love and I read them multiple times, this won't be one of them.

kayseakayseaalmost 7 years ago
Polyamory exists

There are lots of couples that work with some form of being poly. And the run just fine ...with boundary setting and honesty, even if the boundary is not telling their partner they've gotten their rocks off with someone else that day.

The part that got skipped here was more of a discussion about having a poly relationship and that working for them.

It might be easier for me b/c I read Frat Straight Troopers way before this (no longer avaible here! Go head over to Amazon! It's got sequels too. We're lucky to have the stories we do still up) and therefore met Nick running around with the web cam business in full swing and he and Pete in a established relationship.

Also, on a side note, I love fireflies. I miss that there were so many when I was a kid & their numbers have gone down so much. Fireflies and stars. So sweet.

cyan18cyan18about 7 years ago
oy ! sigh

A relationship like this exists huh ?

The ending sucks,but i'm grateful for what i've learned.

I hope u can write a 2nd part to make it....suck less.

BlackBeadsBlackBeadsover 7 years ago
Please explain

Do you have some biased opinion about anal sex... I want to read that Nick and Pete shared that beautiful thing called making love.. You have the ability to make me feel all emotions so well, but you just don't get me going with the sex... I don't want to read how Imre and Kavalry had sex, they ARE NOT THE MAIN CHARACTERS... You are so good at creating a developing a plot.. And a character... But I wanna fucking se Nicholas Goodman fuck his Petey GOOD, why do you find it so difficult... Anal sex has not happened to any of your main characters in all your stories.. I Love me a Love story, but please go Fucking try a Mills and Boone book and try again.. Jane Austen is a great Author but Books like hers just doesn't fit the fucking site..

BlackBeadsBlackBeadsover 7 years ago
But Why!!

For fucks sake mate. Why on God's earth can you not allow at least one of your great stories to have a FULL happy ending.. You always have to fuck it up... That, just isn't love.. If Nicholas Goodman really loved Peter Dorsey, then they would have been enough for each other.. I know you don't want to be like the rest of the writers, but please don't fuck up a beautiful story, just because you want to be different.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
I Am Still a Fan of Your Writing, but This Story Let Me Down

This one let me down. When he and Pete got together there really was no talk between them about accepting his bisexuality as a part of the relationship. Then you hit the readers like a ton of bricks with it at the end of the story and I was left quite saddened and disappointed that it ended this way. Love your writing style and how you describe emotions. i don't think you properly thought out this ending. It was not realistic. Nick ended up lying about his modeling job at the end and professing his love. He gets Pete to fall totally in love with him then professes his love by saying you have to accept that I fuck women all of a sudden. And Pete just resigns himself to accepting a lying selfish lover who claims to love him. Sorry I'm just not buying it. It would have been more credible if Pete had accepted the fact that maybe he and Nick were not suitable to be lovers and break it up even if it tore him apart. It would have been better if Nick felt the sting of his selfishness and lost someone who he knew truly loved him even if it were temporarily and him reassessing his life. Don't think it was fair of you to put your readers through 15 pages to let them down like you did at the end.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago

Its not for every author that i read 15 pages for. But for xaviermayne.... I will.Was shocked to see a 4.37 rating. Now i know why. I have this bad habit of flipping to the end of a book. Did that here, now i am heartbroken. Love the writing style, and the way the author gets one so invested in a story, that smone like me is actually typing in a comment( im normally a fuckin lazy person).

That aside, i sorta get where the author was going. Dont like it . But get it. Its just that the story arc made us think we were going to see a development in the round characters of Nick and pete. I mean, we had seen pete become less uptight, nick become less asholey and we were riding that train all the way to HEA. It was a rude awakening to be dumped unceremoniously off that train, into the cold reality of an open relationship.Yeah, its the authors story but because we are so invested, we have to offer our (unwanted😃) opinions on all that.

P.S im still gonna give 5 stars cos such superb writing deserves nothing else.

clkelly80clkelly80almost 8 years ago
REALLY!

What a crappy ending...WTH??????

kearbear1980kearbear1980almost 8 years ago
gah

GAH! What a shatty ending. Totally not where I thought it was going. Rushed an understatement

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Awesome, but the ending...

Very well written, but the ending was disappointing. Once they got to college the story went down hill.

Justfeedack09Justfeedack09almost 8 years ago
Rushed conclusion

I wasn't a big fan of the ending-mostly because it felt so rushed. Nick's comments about being with women seemed to come out of nowhere (given the character you developed this was believable but the story needed more time to introduce it) as did Pete's agreement to be in an open relationship.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
The ending sucked....ruined the whole story

The whole story was great less the last 2 pages wish I wouldn't have read them. Ruined the whole thing. What a shame.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Yep

Just waited my time reading 15 pages as the story was great at the start and then just 💨

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Mixed Feelings

I am feeling just like Pete, you know? I am really confused, and can't decide if I like this story or not. I was really enjoying it until the college part. After that, it was all too much. I was hoping Nick would change, hoping that, now that he's got Pete, he would settle down. I can understand his needs, though, and it would be ok, if he talked with Pete about it, instead of presuming they were in the same page. It looks like you suddenly realized that the story was too long, and rushed the ending. Since I read 15 pages, I could read 20 and have a better ending. I suppose I will just pretend the story ends when they are in Peter's room, looking at the stars in the ceiling. I love the way you write, though, and love your other stories. I'm sorry for any stupid grammar mistakes I might have made, English is not my first language.

ADpenthouseADpenthouseover 8 years ago

loved it but at the end it became disheartening as the commitment of love was getting weak at the end.so much confusions regarding them and this nick was some way cheating on peter.

i was expecting true relationship between them but there was'nt too sad.you rushed at the end which made it bad.

and i felt that i wasted my time reading this long 15 pages at the end.

this nick should not have done this to peter and he was crying all the way to get their relationship okay at the beginning and now he backstabbed pete at the end.

it was clear he was not sure whom to choose between his dear peter or women.

they not even had anal sex you know that made the story get weak. at the end love was dieing between them and it was rushed to show that everything is again okay between them but truely and really it is not you couldnt persuade that.

at first there were emotions but later it vanished and it was sure that nick was using peter for his sexual curiosities. which was gross and disheartening. at the end nothing really didnt goyt solved between them.

but you write stories great but in this story something was missing in the end.some of the dilemmas and problems werent solved SO PLEASE POST A SEQUEL OO CONTINUATION OF THIS STORY BECAUSE THIS STORY HAS LOT MORE POTENTIAL IN IT YOU CAN GIVE IT THAT.

so please write the continuation of this story waiting and i loved your story.

harry2015harry2015over 8 years ago
unexpected!

Well...this ending was not what i was expecting. It made me feel like i just wasted my time reading 15 pages. Well written but crappy ending

chrisunderchrisunderalmost 9 years ago
I'm effing Mad... for this story but actually... I'm really mad.

I've read three of your beautiful, well writtened stories and they all left a sting in my heart because you made the endings so incomplete.

This story left so much quesrions like when Pete found out that Nick was on some chaturbate site and then they just kiss and make up?WTH And what about Pete's sexuallity issue does he actually find it in the end, no one knows becuase you didn't finished it. How about Nicks hunger for women? Does it end? Does he finally settles for Pete and marries him? Do they even finish college together?? What about josh and diggler's story how does it end?? I FREAKING WANT TO KNOW!!!

I know your now a published author but why did'nt you picked this story up and made this in to a legitimate novel. Theres so much potential to this and I feel that this story just been left out to rot.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
GOOD STORY

I loved this story, it was wonderful but I understand why it's not listed as hot and why the score is lower. The ending is disappointing perhaps because it's closer to real life than we readers want to acknowledge. There's a maxim about falling in love with bisexuals and it's that they'll never really be true to you. A lot of bisexuals think it's not cheating if they're fucking the opposite sex but it's heartbreaking for gays who are looking for total commitment. Stay away from bisexuals and those who still think they're straight but just experimenting. They'll break your heart every time.

ilovegibbsilovegibbsabout 9 years ago
Aaaaaccckk!!!

I loved almost all of the story except for the end. Seriously WTF? No way Pete would or should put up with that crap from Nick. I love you but I still want to sleep with women. Really! Well, F you Nick! I am pissed! Please tell me that this is the mindset of bisexual men and not gay men. If you love someone, you don't sleep with ANYONE else, male or female. Sorry, I really loved all your work, but this ending has me spitting nails!!!!!

canndcanndabout 9 years ago
ending disappointed me too

I had read this before, but I wish i'd remembered the ending. I really didn't like it. Pete wasn't okay with being in an open relationship. He did what he did out of anger. He's being forced to accept that b/c he loves him. Nick didn't have a good time with that girl, yet he wants to have the ability to do it. I was disappointed, but overall a good story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Wow

Great story, but heartbreaking ending. I can't help but wonder what would happen if Pete didn't want to be treated like he wasn't enough? Another suicide threat from Nick? Not very romantic, but certainly true to life since we've all, unfortunately, known some Nicks.

Blondie40Blondie40about 10 years ago
Loved the story....

But hated the ending....

It just didn't feel finished or real at the end. I was thinking of purchasing your other stories but not sure now after how this one ended.

yourboy57yourboy57about 10 years ago
Next installment...

....the next part of this story..."Nick 'learns'".

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Huh.

Finally finished this story, which I've been avoiding because of the comments, but I've read the other xaviermayne works so often I had to come back!

I think the problem may be, not that the characters enter an open relationship (which, ok, not for me, but I hear there are happy ones out there) but that it's so emotionally wrenching. First Nick drops the bomb that he's gotta have women and I was all ??? because I thought the point was that love is love and the couple were all about the being in love with the person and not the parts and now all of a sudden Nick's all about the parts again? And then Pete seemed like he was having sex with Josh for revenge. And that scene was so near the end that there was really no recovering from that, for me.

But, on the bright side, at least Josh got saved for Clark :-) So there's that.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
I love this

I love this story. i must of read this story about 12 times. You should really think of publishing. or putting it up on goodreads. Readers would love to read this.

Mba7Mba7over 10 years ago

Great writing and gorgeous story.

dairetodairetoover 10 years ago
great story..

Until the end.

rather disappointed with it to tell the truth. Seemed really rushed

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
I get it

Beautiful story and I get the ending- it had to be like that for theother cupid stories. But maybe Nick learns at some point?

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
why???

this is an amazing love story that suddenly went to crap. frankly, it would have been better if Nick had " learned his lesson" after screwing that girl that he just needed pete. the open relationship ending just ruined the story. too bad. maybe an alternate ending could be written? would love to see Nick and Pete's love conquer all. and maybe nick's family could have left him some money so he could quit prostituting himself for college money. just a suggestion.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago

Everything about this story was amazing... except for the ending, which you can probably already tell from all the other comments. But keep trying! It helps to wrap up a story well if you reread it from beginning to end with a reader's perspective.

tac_naynwafflestac_naynwafflesover 10 years ago
I wanna die...

*sigh* ah,well... it's a good story and it took me a day to finish, but the ending kinda makes me want to strangle somebody...

So Nick fucks women when he wants, and Pete agrees... and Nick is somewhere close to, if not really, a porn star. And Pete is... fine with that.

I don't know what to think! Really this seems like a one way road to a break up but... I don't know. The pessimistic and optimistic sides of me are fighting each other and no one's winning.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
Well then.....

I really enjoyed going through this story and learning more about the characters. The plot line was strong and easy to follow with amazing characters. However, after finishing, I have this huge knot in my stomach. I know they truly love each other but the whole ending just doesn't sit right with the rest of the tale. You are an amazing writer that definitely pulls the reader in.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
WTF!

The story was great right up to the last 2 pages and then it turned to shit. I don't understand...what happened to Nick who took care of Pete when he got drunk? what happened to Suicidal Nick facing life without Pete? And now Pete's committed relationship turned 'OPEN' with .Pete getting Josh? Terrible ending.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago

Great till the end! End was awful!

Bellad19Bellad19about 11 years ago
Wait! What?

At chapter 12 I was going to cheat and rush to the end I so wanted Nick to come around or Pete to find himself. I didn't though. Did not like the ending at all. The build up was so awesome I wanted them together but if they weren't that would be okay cause self discovery does that. You don't always end up where you think. We all choose what we take and give in a relationship and I know this is your story but the idea that a partner would say that the other person just isn't enough for him hmmm. Nah , I feel like you let your characters down. Like they should be better than how they ended up..

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
grrr...

i feel slightly like i wasted an evening.

the build up was great, the characterisation excellent and the exploration of sexual labeling and confusion both profound and interesting. but then the ending goes and cheapens it all. it seems a little like it was rushed. it just didn't fit with the rest of the story.

also... what country were they supposed to be in at the beginning? you could have picked one, sooo american. Turkey would be the closest match for the sort of bathhouses you described. also, you cannot spend a whole day feeding lambs on a farm... which is less important but still frustrating. more research required dude.

I loved this for about 12 of the 15 pages, and a tiny part of me wishes that i hadn't finished. i have no problem with the characters having a stable open relationship, but that should have taken longer than one small conversation to work out. not cool.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Meh...

I really liked the story and Xaviermayne's stuff is always so funny, love it. Buuuuut, I disliked the ending as well. I know there are people in the world who live like this, but I believe in monogamy, so I couldn't reconcile with it.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
:)

Loved your story! I related to it because the 1st guy I fell in love with was named Nick, and he "needed" to sleep with women to but i had a different reaction then Pete did. I literally had knots in my stomach when Nick crawled in bed and Pete could smell the girl. Been There! Awesome story! Im about to read more of your work just because I loved this one so much!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Hm

I really liked it. I mean it was great but I just didn't like the ending. Love means sticking with that one person. In the Cupid ones I get the Reese and Caleb include him but they do love him. Nick shouldn't need the other women

xaviermaynexaviermayneover 11 years agoAuthor
Frat House Troopers Now Available in Paperback and E-Book

I'm really excited to announce that Frat House Troopers, my most popular story ever on Lit, has been published by Dreamspinner Press, in both e-book and paperback formats. Nick is a central character in the book, and I think you'll like the hijinks that boy gets up to!

I've appreciated so very much the encouragement I've received from the Literotica community, and I hope you will consider buying my first actual book.

More info and links to order the book are here: http://xaviermayne.com/?p=81

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago

People, if you've read xaviermayne's stories, you will realize that Pete and Nick stay together, however unconventional their relationship is. They're in Frathouse Troopers and Cupid' Sophomore Year, Sem. 1.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
awesome

i was cheering for nick and pete the whole time great story

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
A bit disappointing

The story was great, very well written as usual, and I love all your work.

The ending was.... disappointing (I found). I mean Pete just leaves Nick for a guy who popped up a couple chapters ahead? The end seemed very rushed to me.

I'll stay tuned for more of your work.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
exemplary work

congratulations... Well done.

i read all your stories, and i could say your one of the best writers in this site, in terms of plot, story execution, composition and use of realistic approach. I really like the style of your writing. But i noticed,

from all your stories,this is the only ending that has many loose ends unlike your other submissions. I would like to know if there would be a continuing chapter of this story to tie up the loose ends. But overall, its a fantastic story series

again, congratulations and thank you, i have so much fun reading

-stan o.

randaltrirandaltrialmost 12 years ago

There is no need to explain xm. Any time someone from Lit gets published, it's a plus for all of us writers. My only regret is that I didn't know you were pulling FT or I would've read it again before it disappeared.

xaviermaynexaviermaynealmost 12 years agoAuthor
To TimothyM

You are so sweet! Thank you for your comments--I really appreciate hearing from people who get what I was trying to do in this story. And please don't worry about the rest of my stories disappearing! I used "Frat House Troopers" for a transition to professional publishing, and (fingers crossed!) I'll be able to publish new work as well as continue to add to the story lines I've developed here. It's important to me that my college stories remain free and accessible to anyone, for reasons that are probably clear to all. Thanks again for your note.

~xm

TimothyMTimothyMalmost 12 years ago

Before we lose this story as well, I just wanted to say how awesome I found it. And having read Frat House Troopers (now gone for publication, congratulations with that) and met Nick there before this story, I did not find the ending so weird and bad as most other readers who have commented here.

To me the relationship was still developing and both of them were unsure how it would work out. They were not even 'out' as a couple - Pete calling Nick his boyfriend when talking with Josh appeared to be the first time he used that word. So why do people get so upset about Nick thinking about women and Pete thinking about other men (which he not only did with Josh but also when he went to change the room assignment). Of course the next step, having sex with someone else is more dangerous to their relationship, but the real danger is getting emotionally involved with another person - or lying and not talking about these issues.

In the end, what matters is that they agree on what the rules are, and that they love and respect each other. So my only problem with the ending is that you never got around to showing how that happened - and I know that it did from reading Frat Troopers, plus there were subtle hints in the story itself, like Nick not really enjoying having sex with the girl. But if you get to make this story into a book together with Frat Troopers, then I hope you have the chance to elaborate on this issue. Anyway, thanks for sharing your writing with us and please kep us posted about where to get hold of your published stories.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
Incredible!

I've read all your stories and your writing is incredible! I especially like the fact all your stories remind the reader that sexuality is no longer "black and white;" and sexy is sexy no matter what is your orientation, at least for people whose consciousness is raised. I'm a heterosexual female (not confused or uncertain about that) but your stories are far more romantic and sexy than any hetero story I've ever read. Thanks for your works.

hk47enclavehk47enclaveabout 12 years ago

After reading your latest Cupid story with Josh, I read this one over again. Didn't comment last time I read it but wanted to this time.

I know from Frat house troopers and Cupid Sophmore that Pete and Nick are still together but I think they need to get their issues resolved. Being a hopeless romantic makes me want to see them happy. I hope you write another sequel in the future with Pete and Nick as main characters and we can see them move past their issues.

:)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
Disappointing

Thats a horrible pitiful end, you just made Pete bloody pathetic and demeaned their 'so called' love. Didn't work, sorry.

58746teyo58746teyoabout 12 years ago
About the ending

Read all the comments here... If you take this story as a single entity, yeah it sucks for Nick and Pete that they don't have a complete HEA :(

But it isn't the end... Nick's story continues in Frat House Troopers which takes place at the end of his freshman college year, and he's still with Pete, still denying he's gay and he and Pete seem okay with the arrangement... So it's all good...

91ndsykes91ndsykesabout 12 years ago
Interconnecting stories? Nice!

I know that Frat House and Hope used some of the same characters, but it wasn't until I read comments that I learned that this Nick and Pete were the same as in Frat. Very well done, although I didn't like the ending here- but it makes sense in a wider scheme of things.

LaFemmeWildcatLaFemmeWildcatabout 12 years ago
):

i was really loving it until the end):

bkluvrbkluvrabout 12 years ago
...

i hope you have a sequel planned where this all gets resolved with either Nick realising that he will lose Petey if he continues sleeping with girls or that they drift apart and Petey and Josh end up together - a storyline where they indulge in a foursome with Calvin and Reese

bkluvrbkluvrabout 12 years ago
noooooooooo

was loving it until that awful ending

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
hmm...

I agree with Jay_B1969.

It was great until the end, which totally turned me off. The writing is great, though. Just wish Nick wasn't so..blah. Loved it in spite of his attitude.

Ex0ticPrincessEx0ticPrincessover 12 years ago

Omggg I just love how some stories end up connected even in the smallest sense. Nick from Str8 Frat Dudes that kissed Ethan! How exciting!

Although, I kind of agree with everyone saying Nick should have ended up exclusive with Pete. Or Pete should have ended up with Josh, or someone deserving.

But I enjoyed the story either way :)

Jay_B1969Jay_B1969over 12 years ago
Great... until the end

I love the story, but after that ending, I want to kick Nick's ass and slap some sense into poor Petey. I just don't like Nick as a character and the situation with him and Peter, just seams unlikely with Peter's character type. Pete being very insecure as it is, just makes the ending a bit unbelievable and would probably work well with a sequel of those two characters. However, the story was fun to read and other than wanting Nick to stay faithful to Pete, I would say the story was a job well done.

There weren't a whole lot of grammatical errors so reading was made easy except for a few of the dialect sections. Other than that, the writing, along with the story, was done pretty well. Keep writing! I enjoy all of your stories and look forward to reading more. I hope you don't mind my criticism too much.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Last page...

The story was awesome until the last couple pages. Nick should get kicked to the curb and Pete should end up with Josh, or someone else who's remotely worthy. I know these sorts of relationships work for some people, but it just seems so unrealistic. I was hoping to see a happier ending, but now I'm thinking a sequel would be great.

cliffgirl08cliffgirl08over 12 years ago
A sequel please

I really would like to read a sequel to ALLF. I gues I'm just a huge fan of H.E.A. even though it doesn't happen most of the time in real life. But it seems as if Nick and Pete could work it out together. Pete was only with Josh because he was hurt and, like the previous Anon. said, Nick seems like he's almost ready to give up women.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Agree with most

It was a beautiful story up until the last page. I like happy endings and would've preferred to see Nick decide to be exclusive with Pete, especially after his tryst with the last girlfriend was so disappointing and had him wondering about it. I can certainly understand Pete's anger and sadness at the the Nick/Rick problem since NIck wasn't honest about it. I guess I just don't understand how two people can love each other like Nate and Pete do and be willing to have sex with others they don't love. But for the story to just end on that note seemed like a cheat.

NellaBarely2NellaBarely2over 12 years ago
Piece of Tail

Views re: HEA; Even the happiest endings meet new walls to climb or apparent dead ends. Perhaps a firefly doesn't realize its little piece of 'tail', in their shot lifespan (in our eyes) is complete and ends when the light goes out. The memories of their beauty and unique ability linger on for the influence they can have on those who notice them, even if they are from other cultures. Few can write about such emotionally moving words stimulated by a bug; crafted by a wordsmith.

NellaBarely2NellaBarely2over 12 years ago
HEA: Who says it has to be? Still AWESOME

I haven't read "... Fireflies" completely yet, but getting there as fast as I can. In my opinion (for what it's worth) this author is GIFTED. Truly Awesome! And totally entertaining. Few can put words in print with such magnetism to pull readers "into a story" with strong a strong attachment and feelings for the characters, plot and situations. This is Life, as it often is - not like you expect, or want it to be. Individuals have options to some times control/influence a current situation, but life imposes too many "UN-controllable" influences for expectations to rarely ever achieve reality.

To that I'd like to post what I feel are relevant comments from another author. Since these words were posted on an internet blog regarding "HEA" in Romance novels, I hope I'm not infringing on her personal rights. I support, and subscribe to her posted views. Her comments give credit to "... Fireflies" last few segments - which MAY NOT the End. Only in print, and fireside chats can a fictional story END.

Author Jennifer Crusie:

I think romance novels, like any genre stories, must provide a reader with catharsis at the end, and that catharsis is usually found in a "just" ending; that is, characters get what they deserve. The bad guy gets punished, and the good guys get the happiness they've been striving for because they've suffered and grown and struggled. But a "just" ending can also mean a "sadder but wiser" ending (like Scarlett O'Hara's) or a noble sacrifice ending (like the one in movie Sommersby) or a "pick-up-the-pieces-and-go-on" ending in which it's clear the characters will not have perfect, easy lives thereafter, but are better off because of the struggles they've won and the life lessons they've learned.

So if HEA means a perfect marriage with perfect children in the offing, no, absolutely not, the romance doesn't require this. But if HEA means all the pressing problems solved with hope for the future and a feeling of personal achievement and of justice served for both the characters and the reader, then, yes. Romance doesn't admit despair at the end, nor does it posit the world as a cold, cruel, chaotic place. It offers hope, salvation and order through connection with others (not just the romantic connection with the hero). That's why it's so popular.

rabbitfishrabbitfishover 12 years ago
Stereotypes

I really like what you did here to challenge stereotypes about sexuality. There were many things about this story that frustrated me as I was reading it, and I went on a whole roller coaster of emotions on how I felt about this story and the portrayal of the characters in it. Now, having finished it, it makes me really think. I have firmly believed for many years that sexuality and gender are as diverse as personalities, and that for most individuals sexuality and gender change and grow as their personalities change and grow. A lot of the stories that I find on Literotica, while totally hot, fail to challenge stereotypes the way you have done here. Thank you for that!

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago

I read your story again and that is a commitment to read like 150 Word pages. Anyhow, I came across it again and began reading and it was as good as the fist time. I love the humor you put into it. I laughed outloud many times. I loved some of the deeper conversations they had too.

The ending was the only part I couldn't remember. I just agree with the other comment about it being unresolved. I thought Nick would admit that it wasn't worth being with women when he realized it wasn't as great as he thought. If not they'd not make it. Because I didn't buy that Pete would agree to an open relationship even if it meant just for sex. Could he accept the internet thing? Yea I think so. But, I don't think they could last always if there wasn't that monogamous thing for Pete. I also was surprised they didn't have sex.

I'd love to see you write more. You're very talented.

cannd

xSpiral82xSpiral82over 12 years ago
D:

Awesome story! But.. like many others.. I felt that the ending wasn't really an "ending"! >.< I wished there was more, there is always the lingering question if both Nick or "Rick" and Pete could have an exclusive relationship.. and not have Pete running around doing other women! Even though they say that they love each other, the feeling I get is that Pete will always love Nick more than Nick loves him. D:

DanishGirlDanishGirlover 12 years ago
Mostly great, but the ending needed work =)

First let me start by saying that I really liked this story – if not I could never have finished all 15 pages, but like some of the other who commented I must admit that the ending did not feel right for me.

The vibe I was getting towards the end was actually that they were drifting apart and not really right for each other (mostly as they both seemed more interested in them selves than the other). And Josh did seem like an obvious second boyfriend for Pete. It would have made perfect sense to me if this was a story about two young men who fell in love and helped each other in a time where no one else could. I don't think their love would be less important or beautiful if they came to an agreement to move separate ways after some time; after all it is a small minority that find their life partner so early. For me this would also fit the title nicely as their love was short and intense like fireflies.

A HEA could have been nice too, but for me it would only be believable if the the story after Pete helped Josh had focused more on the relationship of Pete AND Nick and not just on Pete.

Ultimately I guess I just did not believe they actually faced their problems, but rather pushed them under the carpet, and so I feel sure their relationship will be filled with them tripping over that bump in the carpet...

I really really loved the Frat House Troopers story, and I feel what you accomplished there was moving the characters closer together throughout. In this story they moved closer until they suddenly said – oh well whatever; we will fuck others when we like. All the emotions that I so loved in the rest of the story suddenly forgotten, making me feel slightly cheated.

I hope you can use what is meant as constructive criticism, as I do really like your writing and enjoyed most of the story very much indeed!

Looking forward to reading your future submissions as I think you have a gift for creating a mood and good characters =D

julrijulriover 12 years ago
Well this was an unexpected ride.

I have deleted this comment 5 times already, as i wanted to make sure i explained my thoughts correctly. I am so glad that you put in words and explained how labels can confuse and hurt people.Humans are just sexual and one shouldn't put a label on ones sexuality at all. Its all a matter of degrees.We are not all to be pigeonholed.

Your writing is exceptional,the plot and story had great flow. The tension you built was felt. The ending I was not ready for and to be honest ruined a beautiful story for me. I felt it in my stomach. i guess that's a good thing for you as a writer, but it wasn't good for me. I don't know how better you could have prepared me for that, i dint pick up the clues you wound in there. it din't seem right to me at the end and really i dint expect that in the least. I know there are a whole lot of different relationships in this world, and the HEA does not always exist. It just felt empty after all that beautiful beginning in story.

I thank you for writing, thank you for sharing with us. I await your next story.

J~

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Not finished?

I wish we could hear more about these guys. Will they be able to live in an open relationship for ever?

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Nice!

Great story as always, though i didn't much like the ending. The tension a little too unresolved for me. Besides, i hope you could write a story where Josh gets a happy ending. Please do continue showing off your mad skills... writing for Literotica :)

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago

this is the longest story i have every read on here! im glad you made it long tho! awesome story 5 stars!

QueenieLeManzQueenieLeManzover 12 years ago
Torn

Like many others, I'd prefer there to be a "happily ever after" but I'm also realistic enough to know that for someone people, an arrangement like this works. But I wish there were an epilogue, something that gave the reader insight into how this relationship worked over the long haul. Does Nick realize he doesn't need women, does Pete get over his crush on Josh, etc.

You're a great writer and I look forward to reading more from you.

EMArnoldEMArnoldover 12 years ago

Like the author's first story, ALLF has sort of an imperfect happy ending. In a perfect world Pete's love would steer Nick onto the straight and narrow path of honesty and monogamy, however life nor love always convenient this way. Nick had already proven himself a liar and a slut, and Pete had been in emotional flux since the kiss. If it was the author's aim to blur the lines between what is straight or gay, or to question whether desire compromises love, or if love equals monogamy than I think he has done this. I think it's supposed to be jarring that Pete gets this bj at the end of the story considering his previous uptightness, but then he's finally giving into his own personal desire which is the point. I think he accepts Nick in the end, lies aside, because he (Pete) realizes that he doesn't love him any less after being with another guy (Josh)....

EMArnoldEMArnoldover 12 years ago
The Ending

I think this story fits right into the romantic with a twist genre. I find this story representative of the state of love today. I'm not saying this is right or wrong, but arguably one can love one partner and still sleep with others without emotionally investing in these others as long as the main partner is aware. That's one couple's reality. Another couple's reality is there is no gray area, they are committed only to each other. Who's to say one way or the other if the strictly monogamous couple is any more in love than the open-relationship couple...

StoneWolf99801StoneWolf99801over 12 years ago

I loved most of the story, up until the ending. The characters went from a 10 (1-10 on needing each other) to suddenly slipping down to a 6 or 7...

I loved how the story grew and Pete & Nick needed each other, they were both what they were missing in life.

I think it would have been better ending when they got to school, sort of a "they lived hapily ever after" sort of ending. But the end they sorta... seemed to loose each other.

Your writing is spectacular though, I look forward to reading more submissions.

kimb61kimb61over 12 years ago
Loved it but then....

enjoyed the the first 2/3 of the story but then at the end its as if you went offside on the whole thing. if you wanted to end it that way you shouldve incorporated it all earlier into the story so that it was believable i.e. nick's desires for a woman. but because you didnt, it kinda ruined the story. due to the messed up ending (and its because of how the ending seemed to belong to a whole different story with no relation to the first 2/3 of it whatsoever) i had to give it a 3 star as opposed to the 4/5 star that i intended to give earlier.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Hurried

The ending was sounding very hurried...all through the story, the love was evident between the protagonists...but the ending seemed like it was picked up from,a different story...nevertheless...amazing writing...also a word to soullesscynner...more stories plz...

:-)

SoullessCynnerSoullessCynnerover 12 years ago

I failed to mention in my first post that I think you are an amazing writer. Truly. You made me feel, which is always great when I'm reading something. I WANT to be able to feel the emotions of the characters. That is something I take into consideration when I form an opinion on whether or not a story is good.

In this story, I felt Pete's anxiety about being around naked people, and I felt his horror at enjoying what he saw Karaly and Imre doing with each other. I felt the love he and Nick shared. And I felt Pete's anger and feelings of betrayal when he found out that Nick had lied to him.

With that said, I still think that the ending sucked. I was also let down when Pete didn't confront Nick when he smelled the girl on him. As others have said, the ending in no way matched the rest of the story. And the whole revenge sex with Josh? It didn't flow very good with Pete's supposed feelings when he first heard Nick's voice on the computer. I mean, not for Pete. Pete just does not give off the revenge fuck vibe. And my heart literally stopped a second when Nick that Pete wasn't enough -- and then that Pete just accepted that. And then that Nick should be so accepting of it after that scene where he got jealous and asked if Josh was somebody he had to be worried of? When he threw the "only you" thing in Pete's face? Didn't fit either.

But I digress. You are truly an amazing writer. I love the fact that you made me feel. I also quite enjoyed that they were both straight until they fell in love with each other. Although, Pete seems to be more gay now, or at least bi, given his attraction to Josh. But again, you are a great writer. I look forward to reading more from you. In fact, I'm heading on over to Hope Among the Deserted right now.

P.S. Please don't be offended by anything I've written here or in my previous post. I meant it as purely constructive criticism. Happy writing!

SoullessCynnerSoullessCynnerover 12 years ago
Disappointed

I loved this story--- all the way until the ending. I absolutely HATED the ending. I just can't understand the concept of supposedly being in love, yet needing to fuck other people. That is so stupid. That is NOT real love. It would be nice to see a continuation of this story, where Pete gets fed up with Nick getting with other people. I'm not trying to be mean or harsh, but I have to express my opinion. And my opinion is that this ending sucked. If they're truly in love with each other, then they should be enough for each other. I, for one, was hoping that Pete would demand exclusivity.

Again, I'm not trying to be mean. I loved the other two stories I read by you, Frat House Troopers and Cupid's Big Weekend.

lonesomedove66lonesomedove66over 12 years ago
I liked it

Well done and very imaginative..

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
I liked it at first

Well, I liked the first part where Pete is in denial and being teased by Nick and thing, after that it's kind of a mess...

LolaBellaLolaBellaover 12 years ago
Hmmm

I was laughing out loud for the early part of the story. Nick was outrageous, and Pete's uptight reactions were hysterical. I was laughing almost constantly. You get a hint that there's more to Nick than meets the eye. Then the story took a dramatic turn with Nicks issues. Turns out Nick has a huge heart and hidden depths. Once they get to college Nick reverts back to being a shallow guy who needs to sleep around with women. I was really digging him until that, having Pete hook up with Josh was a total turnoff. I kinda stopped caring about either of them at that point. I was hooked all the way thru though, I just had to know what happened next. And after all that, they never actually fucked. Hmmm....

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
Hmmm continuation would be nice...

Hmmm this story is good but I believe Pete deserves so much better than whatever the hell that Nick is giving him (perhaps he has commitment issues?). A possible candidate for Pete could be Josh or Nick can finally settle down, either or it would be nice to see Pete be devoted fully.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous