A Love that Lasts Forever Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"They were angry, sir." He said softly, a hint a sadness to his voice.

"Angry that you'd been attacked?"

Caleb shook his head. "Angry that I was still alive."

***

Time dragged on while Quinton and the others waited to be recalled into council chambers. It seemed like hours, though when Quinton glanced at the clock he realized it had only been forty-five minutes since they'd stepped out.

Bowden and his brother, Jase, sat on a bench across the hall from Quinton, two security guards stood between them. It was a good thing that security was there or else Quinton might have attacked Bowden where he sat. For the most part they had remained quiet though there had been a few times when Bowden leaned over and commented to his brother about what they'd planned to do with Caleb once they got him back to Silver Moon. He'd spoken loud enough for Quinton to hear which, Quinton suspected, was a useless attempt on their parts to bate him.

Finally, the doors opened and the three men were recalled to the hearing. Quinton entered first, walking past Caleb to retake his seat before the council heads. Caleb was sitting against the wall beside Zev, Rhylan cradled to his chest protectively. Caleb looked up and gave Quinton a forced smile that Quinton saw through immediately. The omega's eyes were red as though he'd been crying and he looked exhausted mentally as well as physically. He cursed Bowden and the council for forcing Caleb to take part in this hearing so soon after giving birth and losing his mate. It was far too much for any omega to have to deal with.

When Bowden came in he shot the omega a scornful glare that had Caleb recoiling from him as though he were a snake about to attack. Zev put an arm around Caleb then shot Bowden a warning stare that had Bowden turning his head as he hurried to to reclaim his seat. Quinton had to grin. Leave it to Zev to have an Alpha pissing his pants with only a look.

The younger Bowden entered after his brother and went straight to his seat, not bothering to even look in the direction of the omega that he was meant to mate. Quinton realized that Jase Bowden had paid little to no attention to Caleb through the entire proceeding. In fact, he seemed more bored or put out with the entire thing. It was obvious to anyone who paid attention that Jase had no interest in Caleb. He was merely doing what his brother demanded but didn't really seem to care what happened, one way or another.

When everyone was once again seated, Kavanagh moved his chair closer to the table, resting his folded hands atop the smooth, mahogany, surface then addressed the room with a stern and somewhat troubled expression.

"Gentlemen." He began. "At first this case seemed cut and dry. An Alpha's property had been taken and defiled, and therefore should be returned to said alpha along with appropriate compensation for the injured parties. I was prepared to render my verdict in favor of Silver Moon, though not without considering the loss to Black River. I believed I had come up with a remedy that would be beneficial to both packs. However, after reviewing the facts in this case and after speaking with Mr. Giles, I find that I'm having some difficulty in rendering my verdict.

There are some things in this case that I find very disturbing, not the least of which being the treatment of this omega by his family and pack. Alpha Bowden, as the pack Alpha it is your responsibility to see to the ethical treatment and safety of all members of your pack, not just the ones you deem worthy. Your actions where this omega is concerned have been very questionable, if not criminal. I am deeply troubled over the way you handled or failed to handle the assault on this young man.

Not only was he denied medical care after the assault but the guilty parties were given no punishment for their actions. There wasn't even a formal reprimand for the pain and suffering caused to Mr. Giles as a result of this attack. Furthermore, to just assume that a member of your pack was dead and filing a death report prematurely was a serious mishandling of protocol and a total lack of good judgement on your part. The lack of any qualified medical personal within your pack is also distressing.

But, what I find the most concerning here is the exploitation of this omega by not only his parents, but Also his Alpha. Before his, so called, miraculous healing, you had no interest in this boy what-so-ever. He was nothing to you, based on your previous actions, until he was discovered to have these coveted abilities that, I must say, I find rather far fetched. The omega himself claims to have no such powers and he himself is unsure of how he managed to heal so remarkably from his injuries.

The boy has also made it clear to me that he fears the repercussions if he is returned to Silver Moon and it is discovered that he, in fact, does not have any latent abilities. So, tell me, Mr. Bowden..." He directed his next question to Jase himself. "Are you still willing to take this omega as your mate if he proves to be just an ordinary omega without the special abilities that you and your brother seem to believe he has?"

Jase squirmed in his seat, turning to look at his brother as though expecting him to give him the answer.

"Don't look at him." Kavanagh instructed. "Look at me. Tell me, how important is this boy to you?"

Jase cringed. What could he say? The whole thing was Seth's idea, not his. He couldn't give two shits about the omega, but he couldn't say that to the councilman, could he? Jase shrugged. "He's not worth much to me even with abilities. Without 'em, he's worth nothing."

Seth shot him an angry glare mouthing the words "shut up."

Jase rolled his eyes. "I don't care about some dumb omega." Jase hissed suddenly, his eyes fixed angrily on his brother. "This whole thing was your idea. I never wanted a mate in the first place, let alone some omega trash. Now he's got a fucking kid? Even if I do take him as a mate I ain't taking the goddamn pup! Black River can keep 'em. The last thing I need is some squalling brat around. Especially one that ain't mine."

"Idiot!" Seth growled. "You're digging yourself in deeper. Now just Shut. Your. Mouth!"

"Digging you in deeper you mean." Jase huffed, crossing arms angrily over his chest. "You're the one who wants him but you're too damn chicken to dump that alpha bitch you mated. I said from the beginning that omega is gonna bring nothing but trouble. You should have burned him at the stake for the witch he is."

Caleb gasped suddenly, his eyes filling with tears as he tried to hold back his sobs. Quinton was on his feet in an instant, his eyes burning with outrage. "One more word against him." Quinton growled. "And I'll tear your throat out!"

"Enough, all of you." Kavanagh stood and slammed his fist down hard on the table. "I've heard enough! Alpha Hallorann, take your seat before I throw you out of this court. I have a mind to throw the lot of you out." He straightened his suit coat before seating himself again. "Honestly, if this is how the Alpha's in my territory conduct themselves then maybe we should be reevaluating leadership among the northern packs."

"My apologies, Chairman Kavanagh." Quinton said, calming himself a bit. "I, unlike Alpha Bowden, am invested in the welfare of my pack members But, I realize that I spoke precipitously. It won't happen again."

Kavanagh eyed him cautiously. "It had better not." He warned. "Now, to the matter at hand. I have always believed that a pup should be kept with it's bearer whenever possible and seeing as Mr. Giles has already lost his mate, I would find it irresponsible to deprive his pup of his only remaining parent. Also, given the testimony that I've heard here today, I do not find it in the best interest of the omega, nor his pup, to have Mr. Giles returned to Silver Moon pack."

"Thank you Chairman Kavanagh." Quinton clapped his hands together in triumph then grinned, smugly, at the two Bowden brothers.

Kavanagh put his hand up to silence Quinton before he said any more. "Don't start celebrating yet." The older man warned.

Quinton sat back, eyes wide, as he waited for the other shoe to drop.

"I am prepared to allow Mr. Giles to return to the Black River pack. However, I have a couple of stipulations. First, I am going to assign Shane Hollister to oversee Mr. Giles acclimation to life within his pack. Mr. Hollister will make weekly visits where he will access Mr. Giles living conditions and care. I expect weekly reports to be filed from both Alpha Hallorann and Mr. Hollister concerning Mr. Giles. These reports should reflect Mr. Giles welfare, state of mind, care taken with his pup, and his adjustment.

Included in these reports shall be any development of unique or unusual abilities as defined by the Silver Moon shaman. I want a very clear record of, if any of these unlikely abilities exist or do not exist. This will be helpful in determining the amount of compensation, if any, Silver Moon is due over the loss of their omega. I do want to note that the development of said abilities does not automatically determine if Silver Moon is to be compensated at all. I have yet to determine if Rhys Hallorann took the omega as his mate for financial gain or love, as Mr. Giles clearly believes is the case.

Secondly, I have always believed that an unmated omega is at risk. They need the support, both financially and emotionally, of an alpha in order to prosper. Though omega's are not required to mate by law, I feel that an unmated omega with a pup is an exception to this rule. Pups need the presence of two parents if they are to grow into functional adults. In our society, an omega who has lost their mate is greatly encourage to bond with another, especially when pups are involved. In this case however, I believe that it is in the best interest of said omega to make this a requirement of him continuing to live with the Black river pack.

Originally he was contracted to mate with Jase Bowden, then was taken as a mate by Rhys Hallorann. It seems that being a mate to an alpha has been this young mans future from the beginning of the events leading to this case and so I feel it necessary that he be mated to a Black River alpha if he is to successfully integrate into Black River life."

Quinton was taken aback by this declaration. Never in all his years had he ever heard of the council forcing a mating on anyone. "Of course, Chairman Kavanagh, if, in time, Caleb chooses to take another as his mate he would be welcome. I would never deny him the opportunity..."

"Not if." Kavanagh clarified. "He will be required to take a new mate before he can be returned to Black River."

"I...I don't understand." Quinton narrowed his eyes as he studied the older mans face. "There are many available alphas within my pack but Caleb hasn't had the time to form any sort of relationship with them. He only recently lost his mate. I wouldn't expect him to enter into a mating with anyone else so soon."

"That is my ruling." Kavanagh stated flatly. "If you fail to comply he can be given back to Silver Moon and mated with Jase Bowden. It's as simple as that."

Quinton growled low, under his breath. There was no way in hell Bowden was getting his hands on Caleb. Quinton had promised the omega as much. "I would need time." Quinton grumbled. "I'd need to set up some meetings, find an alpha he's compatible with. One that would accept his pup. This isn't something that can be done over night."

"If I'm not mistaken, Alpha Hallorann, you yourself are unmated. Are you not?"

"M...me?" Quinton stared at the man, a look of shock stretched across his face. He wasn't quite sure that he'd heard what he'd heard. What was Kavanagh getting at? Yes Quinton was unmated, and he preferred it to stay that way, but he had a sinking suspicion that that was about to change. "Yes...I am..but."

"Then there is no need for you to find the boy a suitable alpha. You, Alpha Hallorann, will mate the omega. He is your brother's widow after all. It seems to me that you would be the most logical choice, as you have the most invested in his well-being." Kavanagh grinned smugly, obviously pleased with himself.

Quinton was at a loss. He looked around and saw that all eyes were suddenly on him. Even Caleb, sitting there, eyes wide and jaw dropped, seemed...horrified. Quinton shook his head then pressed his fingers to his temples as he carefully chose his next words.

"Councilman Kavanagh, while I respect your opinion, I fail to understand your reasoning. I'm sure there are more appropriate, and much younger, alphas that would be a better choice. When the time is right. If you're worried that Caleb won't be treated well or tended to I can assure you that, while under my care, Caleb and his pup will be well provided for. I plan to assign him an apartment and I'll provide for him financially until hes given work and the means to support himself. So, really, there's no need to..."

Kavanagh sighed. "Are you questioning my ruling, Alpha Hallorann?"

"No. Certainly not. I just..." Quinton felt his shoulders slump as the councilman leaned forward, locking eyes with him.

"These are the terms that I require for you to take possession of this omega. If you refuse to adhere to these terms then..."

"No." Quinton practically jumped out of his seat. He glanced back at Caleb quickly who now looked terrified. His eyes were pleading with Quinton. Begging him not to allow Silver Moon to take him back. Damn Kavanagh and the entire shifter council. Quinton realized that this was just another way for them to interfere in his pack leadership.

For years they, Kavanagh in particular, had been urging Quinton to take a mate and produce pups and so far Quinton had been able to hold his ground. But not anymore. Kavanagh had the upper hand and Quinton was between a rock and hard place. If he refused, he was certain Bowden would use the opportunity to stake his claim on Caleb. If Quinton agreed, well, then he'd be stuck with a mate he never wanted.

No one even bothered to ask Caleb what he wanted and that burned Quinton most of all. Who was to say that Caleb would even agree to a forced mating? Especially a mating with his dead mates older brother. Even in a court which claimed to care about the well-being of an omega, Caleb was still not given the right to make decisions on his own behalf.

Quinton knew that he was outmatched though. His only option was to relent. But that didn't mean there wasn't room to negotiate further. He could agree to mate Caleb, plan the ceremony for six months out, maybe even a year. In that time he could prove to the council how well Caleb is doing in the pack and maybe the council would agree to postpone the mating. Caleb should be allowed to chose for himself who he takes as a mate, not have the choice made for him by a council of strangers.

"I'll agree." Quinton finally spoke. His voice taking on the more serious and authoritative tone he used when acting in an official, Alpha, capacity. "But, only if Caleb agrees to it as well. His feelings should be considered in such an important decision."

Kavanagh nodded, thoughtfully. "Very well." He turned his focus to Caleb. "Mr. Giles. You've been given an opportunity here. Return to your birth pack and fulfill the terms of your mating contract with Jase Bowden, or accept Alpha Hallorann as your mate and return to Black River with him."

Caleb was dumbstruck. He'd never been given the chance to speak his own feelings before. With Rhys, everything just happened so fast. There was a mutual love and respect there. He and Rhys had acted impulsively but it had never been forced. Still, there wasn't a lot of talk before hand. Nature and instinct had guided their decisions more than anything. Now, suddenly, he was given the option. Quinton cared what Caleb wanted and he wasn't going to force him into anything.

He was, however, only left with two options though. Chose between the two alphas. Ideally he would have chosen to return to Black River but as an unmated omega. He wasn't ready to enter into another mating so soon after losing Rhys, even if a mating between he and Quinton would be out of necessity and not love. Still, what were his options? Jase or Quinton? Hell, that was a no brainer. Death would be a better option than to mate Jase Bowden.

Caleb looked to Quinton and then back to Kavanagh. Quinton held his breath as he waited to hear Caleb's answer though he was almost certain he knew what that answer would be. Caleb had run from Silver Moon to escape a mating with Jase. There was no way in hell that he would choose him over Quinton.

Finally, Caleb sat up straight in his chair, still holding onto his pup who was now squirming and whimpering softly against his breast. With confidence, and a strength that even Caleb wasn't aware he had, locked eyes with Kavanagh and nodded. "I'll accept Quinton as my mate, if it means my pup and I get to stay in Black River."

"I refuse to allow this!" Seth Bowden was on his feet glaring with such intensity at Kavanagh that even Caleb shrunk back against his seat and whimpered in fear. Zev placed a hand on his shoulder then slowly stood beside Caleb protectively, ready to fight for him if need be.

"You're objection is duly noted however groundless. My decision is final." Kavanagh told him.

"The decision isn't yours to make." Bowden argued. "I signed a legal contract with the omega's father. He now belongs to me. I'm the only one who can give permission for a mating and I refuse to allow yet another Back River alpha to steal my property!"

"He isn't property you arrogant dick!" Quinton yelled out suddenly, his face growing red with anger. Caleb couldn't help but giggle.

"Control yourself Hallorann." Councilman Queally warned. "You're out of line."

"The contract you signed with Robert Giles is void." Kavanagh informed him. "I'm dismissing it on grounds of possible cruelty and neglect. The court recognizes Rhys Hallorann as mate of Caleb Giles-Hallorann and upon Rhys Hallorann's death recognizes Quinton Hallorann as guardian and next of kin. For purposes of a new mating contract between Alpha Hallorann and the omega, I myself will sign on behalf of Caleb Giles-Hallorann."

"This is preposterous." Seth Bowden grumbled under his breath but once again took his seat without further argument. Jase appeared detached from the whole situation as he took out his phone and began texting someone, oblivious to all the goings on around him.

"We will revisit this case in three months time." Kavanagh told the room. "At which time the matter of the omega Caleb Giles-Hallorann will be concluded."

"How long will Alpha Hallorann have to comply with the mating?" Shane Hollister asked.

"We should have at least six months to plan it." Quinton spoke up quickly. "And to give Caleb reasonable time to mourn."

Kavanagh raised an eyebrow. "I don't think You'll need that much time. At least not for the official ceremony. If you chose to celebrate afterwards, that's up to you."

"Okay..." Quinton said. Growing more suspicious. "I suppose when we return to Black River I can speak with our shaman..."

"No need for that." Kavanagh interrupted with a wave of his hand. "As a council representative, I'm more than qualified to officiate the ceremony."

"You?" Quinton coughed. "You mean..."

"You'll be mated before you leave here." Kavanagh said with a grin. "Unless, of course, you've changed your mind."

Quinton was struck speechless. He slowly shook his head. Now? Before they leave? He'd expected a few months to plan or possibly find a way around the demand but it seemed as though Lorcan Kavanagh had foreseen this and cut Quinton off at the pass. The man was going to have his way and there was no way around it. "No." Quinton said finally. "I haven't changed my mind at all. I...we...would be honored to have you officiate the mating ceremony."