A Love that Lasts Forever Ch. 13

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"It was more than that, Caleb. What they were saying about you at Silver Moon is true. Caleb, you're a healer."

"No!" Caleb backed away, not wanting to hear any more. "I'm not. They were wrong. Bowden was wrong and you're wrong. I didn't do anything special."

"No, Caleb. Shay might have died if not for you. I hate to even say that but it's true. His fever was bad, he was non-responsive, he..."

"Just stop it!" Caleb turned around sharply, his eyes narrowed as he stared at Rusty hard. Caleb was shaking and he suddenly wanted to run away crying. "Just stop, please! There isn't anything special about me. I don't have any stupid powers. I'm just an average, everyday, omega. Nothing more!"

"Don't be angry with me." Rusty sobbed. "I didn't mean to upset you, it's just..."

"Russ." Zev touched his shoulder. "Maybe we should go. It's been a long day."

"I just wanted him to know what he did for us." Rusty's shoulders slouched. "What he did for Shay. What it means."

"What it means?" Caleb was crying now and he couldn't stop the tears once they'd started falling. Even when Quinton came up and touched his shoulder, Caleb shook him off. "Do you really know what it means?" Caleb asked, suddenly in the grip of real fear. "What it means is that I'd never be able to live off the council's radar, or Seth Bowden's. What it means is that I'll be under a microscope the rest of my life. I have to meet with Hollister again in three days, Russ. Three days! What happens if this gets back to him? He'll tell the council, maybe even Bowden. Do you think he would just let that go?"

Caleb felt horrible yelling at his friend this way but he was suddenly terrified that everything he had now, everything he'd worked for would be ripped away from him without a second thought. "What if they force me to go back to Silver Moon? I can't, I won't!"

"I'd never let that happen." Quinton told him, suddenly drawing Caleb up into his arms.

"You wouldn't have a choice." Caleb cried. "And neither would I."

"Caleb, if anyone even tried to take you from us we'd fight, the entire pack would fight." Zev told him. "Like Russ said. You ARE part of this pack now, and we protect our own."

Caleb shook his head. "I don't want anyone else getting hurt or killed because of me. I'm not worth it. I'm just one omega. There's nothing remarkable about me and that's okay. If I'm worthless than Seth Bowden has no reason to demand I be returned but if for one second he thinks the stories are true..."

"I'd kill him before he even got the chance to put his hands on you." Quinton growled suddenly, stunning the room into silence.

Caleb looked up at him, wiping the tears away with the back of his hand. "I know you feel responsible for me." Caleb sighed. "I get that, but I'm not worth starting a war over. It's not like you're really my mate anyway."

Quinton narrowed his eyes as he took a step back and for the first time in weeks, Caleb actually felt scared of him. He was certain that any moment Quinton was going to back hand him across the face but instead, Quinton just shook his head. "Fuck you." He snarled, then he turned and stomped away, leaving Caleb dumbfounded. Once again, he'd managed to piss Quinton off and had no idea why.

***

"I parked out front." Zev told Rusty as he led him out the door. "Go ahead and get Shay in the truck, I'll be there in a minute."

Rusty nodded solemnly, then headed over to the truck to get the pup strapped into his car seat.

Zev watched his mate and pup for a few seconds before turning and heading towards the end of the long, wrap around, porch on the front of the house, where Quinton was standing against one of the fence posts, arms crossed over his chest, as he sulked. The bright, mid-afternoon, sun washed his face, outlining the creases of distress between his narrowed eyes.

"You know, I don't think he really meant anything by it." Zev told his friend. "He's upset and scared, that's all."

Quinton shrugged. "Like I care anyway. I'm just taking responsibility as pack Alpha."

Zev frowned. "Now, that's bullshit and you know it."

Quinton shot him an indignant glare but Zev only laughed. "Buddy, you ain't fooling anyone, least of all me. We've know each other since we were pups and you've never been able to pull one over on me. Besides, you have the worst poker face of anyone I've ever known."

"Is there a point to any of this?" Quinton sneered.

"Yeah, there is. You're smarting because you feel something for that boy more than what you're willing to admit, even to yourself, and his words cut you to the core."

"You have no clue what you're even talking about." Quinton rolled his eyes then turned his face away from Zev, looking out over the stretch of yard towards the forest.

"You're the one who's clueless." Zev pointed out. "The two of you are good together. It's just a shame that you're the only ones who can't see it."

Quinton looked at Zev again and huffed. "What's it even matter anyway? You heard him. He doesn't consider me as his mate, and why should he? I made it perfectly clear to him when he agreed to this that it was only temporary and he was fine with that. It's what he wants. He wasn't looking to mate again and even if he were he wouldn't want me."

"Did you ever ask him that?"

"What?"

Now Zev was the one who rolled his eyes. "Did you ever stop and consider what Caleb wants or did you just tell him what he wanted?"

Quinton opened his mouth to respond but then stopped short. Had he ever actually discussed the situation with Caleb, asked Caleb what he wanted? He thought he had. Of course he'd given Caleb the choice but then again, what choice was there really? Mate Quinton or go back to Silver Moon.

Quinton had just assumed that agreeing to mate him had been the logical choice and Caleb had agreed to it only to stay in Black River, and maybe he had. But, Quinton had assured him that it was only a quick fix.

It was supposed to be a temporary solution to an impossible situation and once Hollister was out of their fur the mating could and would be dissolved. He'd thought that was what Caleb would have wanted but, had he actually asked Caleb if it was? No, He hadn't. Like always, Quinton had made an assumption and then acted accordingly. Caleb had agreed to whatever Quinton had proposed because he felt he had no say in the matter.

In a way, Quinton was just as bad as the pack that Caleb had fought so desperately to escape from. He kept preaching about how different they were but in the end he was just another alpha telling the young omega what to do without ever giving the boy a voice of his own. He suddenly felt like such an ass. His shoulders slumped and he let out an exaggerated breath, shaking his head.

"Exactly." Zev told him, as though able to read Quinton's mind. "You just went ahead, barking orders like you always do, never once giving any consideration as to how Caleb was feeling or what he wanted. You told him how it was going to be, what to expect, and never gave him any hope for anything different and now you're pissed off because he thinks exactly what you told him to think?"

"Yeah, but..."

"But nothing. Quin, you can't jerk the rug out from under him and then yell at him for walking on the floor. What that kid needs right now is stability and he grasping for it any way he can. He lost any sense of security he had when Rhys died and being here, with you now, has given some of it back but he doesn't know where he stands with you and he's scared. If you want to be a mate to him, a real mate, you need to let him know that he has nothing to fear and that his place here is secure, no matter what."

"I thought I had. I told him that I wouldn't let Bowden take him back. What more can I do."

Zev shrugged. "Prove it."

Quinton sighed in frustration. "And, exactly how am I supposed to do that?"

"Wolf God, but you're hopeless." Zev muttered while shaking his head.

Quinton raised an eyebrow and shot Zev an incredulous glare. "Excuse me?"

"You have no clue how to handle an omega do you?" Zev barked a laugh. "You can't puff your chest out, growl, and go all alpha male on them. They don't respond to that at all. You have to get on their level. Make your point in a way they can understand. And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they're not smart, I'm just saying where we respond to actions, they respond to feelings. All you did in there was scare the shit out of the kid and sorry to say this buddy, but that kind of behavior won't win any brownie points with anyone."

"Then what do you suggest I do?" Quinton shifted his gate as he straightened his back and stared at Zev, his lips forming a thin, straight, line.

"First of all, lose the macho attitude. It won't work on me and it certainly won't work on that feisty little omega you got in there. The best advice I can give you is try to be more understanding and listen to what he's trying to tell you. You've told him what will happen if anyone tries to take him away from you. Now, tell him the reason why."

"Um..." Quinton stood, slack-jawed as Zev's words tumbled around in his head.

Zev chuckled as he turned and walked back down the porch towards his truck. "Good luck." He called back with a friendly wave. "You'll need it."

***

Caleb touched the half moon at his throat nervously. He wasn't sure what was going to happen but after his little outburst, it was likely that Quinton would just wash his hands of Caleb and toss him out into the street, just as Shelby had predicted. What would happen to him then? What would happen to Rhylan? Would Quinton allow Caleb to take the pup with him? Maybe he'd have a couple in the pack adopt the pup. Caleb shuttered at the thought. He couldn't lose Rhylan. That just wasn't an option.

"I have to grovel." Caleb told himself. "I'll drop to my knees and beg his forgiveness." Whatever it took, Caleb was prepared to do it. He no longer cared what happened to himself but he couldn't afford to lose his pup. Rhylan was all he had left and he'd fight to keep him.

The door opened and Caleb tensed. He stood up and sucked in a deep breath then stole a quick glance at his pup who was sleeping soundly on the blanket Caleb had laid him on. "You can do this." He told himself. It was now or never.

***

Quinton tried his best to calm himself and steady his nerves. The last thing he wanted to do was scare Caleb more than he already had. He'd taken Zev's words to heart and intended to sit down with Caleb and speak to him, openly and honestly. Caleb deserved that much. Quinton realized just how unfair he'd been to Caleb. The past couple of weeks he'd kept his distance but with each passing day the longing he felt for the young omega grew stronger and stronger.

He'd thought he was protecting Caleb by staying away but he realized now that he'd only confused the boy more. How had he expected Caleb to react to that really? He was only enforcing Caleb's belief that Quinton's interest in him was purely out of obligation. It wasn't though. Not anymore. Quinton had come to really care for the boy in a way that even he didn't entirely understand yet. He wasn't really sure what he felt. It wasn't just duty or responsibility that he felt. That much he knew. And it wasn't entirely physical though that was a part of it. A big part of it. But there was something else too.

Just the thought of Caleb being taken away and forced to return to Silver Moon stirred something murderous in Quinton. He felt a possessiveness that he'd never felt in his life and Wolf God help anyone who tried to come between him and his omega. His omega. That's how he felt about Caleb now. His. Mine. Ours. He heard his wolf chanting over and over again in his head. His beast was trying to tell him something that his human side hadn't quite come to terms with yet. Well, maybe it was time to start listening. Caleb belonged to him, and he wasn't about to lose him now.

When Quinton stepped into the foyer he knew his destination. Caleb was still in the living room. He knew this because he'd borrowed from his wolf and allowed his senses to stretch out through the house. He could hear him breathing. He could hear his heart beating rapidly and he could hear him moving around. Caleb was anxious. He could tell that. But he didn't sense fear which was a good thing. He planned to keep it that way. His mate should never fear him.

Quinton began to move towards the living room when Caleb came out and slowly made his way towards the alpha then stopped, directly in front of him. Quinton froze, watching as the omega went down on his knees before him, head bowed and shoulders dropping in submission. Quinton sighed and reached out to him. "Caleb..."

"Please, Alpha." Caleb stammered, his body trembling. "I've disrespected you in front of your pack mates. I beg your forgiveness. I know I don't deserve it but please, for my pup's sake, don't send me away."

"Caleb. Stand up." Quinton instructed. "You don't have to do this."

"I've behaved horribly." Caleb protested. "I know you must hate me now..."

"Hate you?" Quinton barked a laugh. "Caleb, I could never hate you. Now, will you please look at me?"

Caleb sat back on his heels and slowly lifted his head to look at Quinton. Tears were streaming from his eyes and he was still shaking but he wasn't afraid, not of Quinton anyway. Quinton could smell the desperation rolling off the boy in waves though. He was so certain that Quinton was going to just discard him like he was nothing. A soft growl rose up and out of Quinton as he realized that Caleb's fear came from a lifetime of living under the shadow of a pack that would so easily toss it's members out like they were trash.

Caleb cringed at the growl but kept his eyes locked to Quinton like the ever obedient omega following orders without complaint. This wasn't the relationship that Quinton wanted with his mate. He wasn't master to a servant and he didn't want Caleb groveling at his feet or cowering away from him. Without a moments hesitation, Quinton extended his hand a second time and when Caleb accepted it, Quinton gingerly pulled him to his feet.

"First off," Quinton began, "There is to be a new rule established in this house."

Caleb nodded. "Anything you wish, Alpha."

Quinton grinned. "From this moment on, you will never, under any circumstances, kneel before me. I'm not royalty and I'm certainly not your Lord and master. Get that medieval, subservient, way of thinking out of your head. Seth Bowden is a tyrant. I am not."

Again Caleb nodded. "Yes, Alpha."

"And another thing, my title, while an important part of our culture, has no place in our home. Yes, OUR home. There is a time and place to use such formalities but this is not it. As of now, when we are alone, you will address me as Quin. If you can not do that I would also accept stud, or stud muffin. Prince charming, Adonis, hot stuff, dreamboat or if you're feeling mushy, snookums might even be acceptable. We'll have to discuss that one though."

Caleb raised an eyebrow then grinned as he tried to suppress a laugh. "Now you're just making fun of me." He giggled.

"Maybe." Quinton grinned back. "But at least it got that look of impending doom off your face."

"Touche." Caleb allowed himself to relax a bit more, but only a bit. "I am sorry though." He apologized. "I know I seem grateful but I'm not. You've gone above and beyond for me and Rhylan and I acted like a complete dick."

"No." Quinton placed his hand on Caleb's back and led him back into the living room. "You acted like an omega who is still stuck in survival mode and that's something we're going to change, right now."

Quinton led Caleb to the couch then directed him to sit down which Caleb did without hesitation. He wasn't sure what Quinton meant but he was done questioning him. At least for now. He'd already had enough fighting to last a life time. It was time to listen. Caleb watched as Quinton took a seat beside him then gently lifted Caleb's hand in his and held it tightly in his own.

"I don't think I've painted a very clear picture of what your role in this pack is, or your place here. I know when we agreed to this mating that I set certain guidelines. I told you that I didn't expect anything from you and, maybe, I made it seem like I was helping you because I felt like I had to but Caleb, that's not really the truth. I agreed to Lorcan's terms because I wanted to. Because it was the right thing to do. I could have refused and washed my hands of the entire situation but that's not the kind of man I am."

"I know that." Caleb interrupted. "You felt protective of me because I'm...was...Rhys mate. It's admirable that you feel that way. That's one of the things that sets you apart from Seth Bowden, your sense of duty and your loyalty to your pack."

"That's part of it." Quinton nodded. "In some way, I thought I owed it to Rhys to keep you safe. You and Rhylan. Rhys was my brother and he entrusted your safety to me when he brought you here. By keeping you safe and out of Seth Bowden's hands, I was honoring Rhys' memory. While you may think that was admirable, it was also a little selfish of me."

Caleb narrowed his eyes. "How could helping a strange omega and his pup be selfish?" Caleb snorted a laugh. "Alp...Quin, you're the most selfless person I know."

"It was selfish because I was thinking of what I wanted. What doing the right thing meant to me and how I would honor my brother's memory but I never once considered what was best for you or even what you wanted. I set you on this path then gave you no real concrete sense of worth to hold onto. It's like throwing someone off a sinking ship to save them but then not bothering to give them a life vest."

Caleb frowned, tilting his head to the side he studied Quinton closely. "I don't understand. Everything you've done has been in my best interest."

"Maybe." Quinton nodded, considering Caleb's words. "But I never asked if it was okay with you or if it was what you wanted. I just assumed and that was wrong."

Caleb shook his head. "Everything happened so fast. There wasn't much time to discuss what I wanted or what was best but even so, I would have agreed."

"Because you didn't have a better choice." Quinton pointed out. "Maybe there was no better choice. Maybe there was. The point is, I didn't even question it and so I took whatever choices you may have had away from you."

"Are you saying we made a mistake in agreeing to the council's terms?"

"No, not at all. I honestly don't think that Lorcan and the others would have given us another option even if we had tried to convince them otherwise. But, after everything was said and done, I should have sat down with you and discussed how you wanted to proceed. I told you what I wanted, or what I thought I wanted at the time, and just assumed that you felt the same way. I left you with no stable ground to stand on and no way of knowing if your place in Black River was secure or not."

Caleb nodded in understanding. "I admit, I have been a little worried about what would happen after Hollister's investigation was done. I've never actually been on my own before but that's not to say that I can't manage. I don't want to be a burden to anyone. I can work, and take care of my pup. I don't want you to think..."

Quinton held up his hand to stop him. "Caleb, you're not a burden. I'll always take care of you, no matter what. I don't want you to worry about that. Ever. Your place here is secure. If you want a job, I can find you one. If you want your own house, I can help with that too. If you want to be a single parent, that's your right but if you want a mate..."

Quinton paused for a moment. He wasn't sure how to phrase the next part of his speech without totally giving away his own feelings. What if Caleb did want another mate but didn't want Quinton as his mate. Quinton didn't know how he'd handle that. Ideally, he wanted Caleb to choose him, but it had to be Caleb's choice.