A Love that Lasts Forever Ch. 16

Story Info
Two wolves face death. Who will survive?
8.5k words
4.88
2.5k
3

Part 16 of the 17 part series

Updated 06/16/2023
Created 07/28/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Chancem77
Chancem77
203 Followers

Quinton scanned the area, sniffing the ground while Zev stood behind him, waiting for his signal. It hadn't taken long for Quinton to pick up Shelby's scent, she'd left a trail of blood behind her as she ran. Quinton lifted his head and howled then tore off after her. Zev was right behind him followed by three other alpha's from the guard. Each of them aware of what they were hunting and why. Though it was hard to believe that another member of their own pack had so viciously attacked another pack mate, they trusted their alpha and followed his lead. They knew what Shelby had done but there was no time to wonder why. She would be questioned after she was caught but first, they had to catch her.

She couldn't have gotten too far ahead. She was injured and needed to shift to heal but shifting to human now would be too risky. No, a smart wolf would keep going, run as far as she could in her animal form and look for a way to throw the others off her tail. No easy feat to accomplish though as her scent was all over the forest and her open and bleeding wounds leaving behind a trail that was far too easy for experienced hunters to follow. It wouldn't be long now before Quinton had her under his claws and then, even the wolf God himself wouldn't be able to save her.

Images of Caleb laying in the grass, his beautiful fur covered in blood as he lay whimpering and in pain, were at the forefront of Quinton's mind. Each time he recalled the sight of him injured, in pain, and near death, his anger intensified. He had to focus though and not let his emotions decide his actions. He needed all of his senses as well as his wits to track his prey and then keep himself from ripping her to shreds once he'd finally caught her. That was going to take all of his will power though. He was out for blood. His wolf wanted her head but his human side knew he had to bring her in alive, if possible. There were rules and protocols to follow. When he finally took her down, and he would, it would be legally, with the entire pack there to witness. He would give the council no reason to try and take Caleb from him, if he were even still alive.

Quinton bristled at that thought. Caleb was alive. He'd know it if he were not. Their bond may not be complete yet but it was strong enough for Quinton to know that his mate was still alive. It was that knowledge that drove him on. Knowing Caleb was alive was the only thing keeping Quinton sane. If their bond suddenly broke, there would be no trial by battle, Shelby would be his to kill.

Quinton rounded a massive oak tree then stopped, sniffed the ground, and let out an angry howl. The others joined him quickly and all five took off so fast that they would have seemed a blur to human eyes. Quinton was the first one there, the first to see her. She was ten feet from the main road, near the end of Black River territory. Shelby must have thought she'd be safe if she crossed the border and made it to the human town. What she didn't realize though was that Quinton would follow her to the ends of the earth if he had to. She wouldn't escape him so easily.

Quinton locked eyes with her and barked a warning. Shelby snarled, her hackles raised and teeth bared. Was she seriously planning to challenge Quinton? Did she think she could beat him? Quinton growled. 'Don't even think about it.'

Shelby took a step back but didn't break eye contact. That was her mistake. She was so focused on Quinton that she failed to notice the others surrounding her. Zev came up behind while the others flanked her right and left sides, surrounding her and cutting off her escape route. She turned around in a circle, looking for an opening but each time she moved to run, she was met with growls and snapping jaws. There was no where to go and Shelby knew there was no way that she could fight off five alphas.

In defeat, Shelby lowered herself to the ground, bearing her neck in submission. All that she could hope for now was Quinton's mercy. After all, she did what she did to protect him. He'd just have to understand that. He had to. Once he saw Caleb for what he was he would know that Shelby acted in his best interest and all would be forgiven. At least...that's what she hoped.

***

Caleb opened his eyes. He was sore and his body felt heavy as though he were being pushed down by an invisible weight. He moved his head slightly to the side then groaned in pain, the effort more difficult than he had thought. At once he felt a hand reach out and touch him just above the shoulders.

"Lay back." A familiar voice said softly, soothingly. "You're hurt. Try not to move too much. Quin should be here soon."

Caleb tried to look up at the owner of that voice but he found he no longer had the strength to move.

Rusty looked at Malcolm. "He's still too weak to shift." Rusty said. "Is there anything we can do to help?"

"No." Malcolm shook his head. "Only the Alpha has the power to pull him through his shift. Especially with injuries this serious."

Rusty sighed as he ran a hand through his red hair. "Where are they?" He said to no one in particular.

Malcolm put a hand on Rusty's shoulder and squeezed gently. "Maybe you should go and get some rest." He told the omega. "Check on the pups. There's nothing more you can do for Caleb now."

Rusty shook his head. "Alice is watching the pups." He explained. "I won't leave his side until Quin gets here."

"Alright." Malcolm tried to smile reassuringly but even he knew that the situation was grim and his fake smile did nothing to hide the fear in his eyes.

***

'Shift?' Caleb heard the words that Rusty had spoken and for a moment he was confused but then it slowly downed on him that he was still in wolf form. He should have known that. He should have have been able to tell from the silver-grey images around him and the lacking of any bright colors. As he focused more on the room around him and the movement caught from the corner of one eye, it became all too obvious that he hadn't shifted yet.

'Odd.' He thought. The run must have been over, He should have shifted back by now. The others were in human form. He knew that from the sounds of their voices speaking over him. Again, Caleb tried to push himself up but his body wasn't cooperating with him. Something was wrong. Why did it hurt so to move? Then another thing struck him as odd. He was in the clinic. He recognized Malcolm's voice as well as Rusty's, and he could tell from his surroundings that he was in the clinic. Why would he be there, and where was Quinton?

That was the one question that bothered him the most. Where was Quinton. If Caleb were in the clinic, if he were hurt, then why wasn't Quinton there with him? Where was his mate? Caleb wanted answers but he couldn't communicate in wolf form. He needed to shift. Caleb mustered up as much energy as he could then tried to shift. Nothing happened. He closed his eyes, concentrated on what he wanted to happen, then tried again. Nothing.

Caleb let a soft growl escape his lips. Rusty immediately looked up. He scooted his chair closer to Caleb and leaned forward, brushing his hand through Caleb's soft fur. "Shh." He told his friend. "It's okay. Quin will be here soon. Just relax until then."

Caleb tried to shake his head. He couldn't relax. He needed Quinton. He needed to tell him about Shelby. Shelby...he was starting to remember what happened. Shelby attacked him. He'd tried to fight back but she was bigger and stronger. He suddenly cursed himself for being an omega. Unable to defend himself. This was the second time that he'd nearly died because he was too weak to fight.

The first time, in Silver Moon, he'd been attacked by a small group of betas. They had left him for dead but he hadn't died. Somehow, he'd survived. And not only that, he was completely healed by the time he'd stumbled back through his front door. That's what had gotten Bowden's attention in the first place. His supposed healing powers. But, were his supposed powers real? He did survive an attack that should have killed him and Rusty was convinced that Caleb had healed his pup.

Caleb sighed internally. Even if he did have healing powers, he had no idea how they worked. How was he supposed to access something that he didn't entirely believe in? Maybe Rusty's pup had been a coincidence. Maybe the attack by the betas wasn't as bad as everyone thought. Maybe Caleb wasn't some special omega with magical powers. Maybe he was just going to die.

"Don't give up." Rusty whispered into Caleb's ear, almost as though he could read his friends mind. "Quinton will be here soon and everything will be okay. He'll help you shift and you can start to heal."

His words should have brought Caleb some comfort but they didn't. Even Caleb, as sheltered and naive as he was, knew that it would take a hell of a lot more than just a shift to heal his wounds. It was going to take a miracle.

***

Quinton was pacing back and forth in the lower cells of the Den. He needed to go to Caleb. Caleb needed his help and yet here he was, stuck in the detention level looking at the woman who at one time he saw as a friend and ally.

Shelby beat a fist against her cell door. "You're making a huge mistake." She yelled through the security glass. "Quin, please. You have to listen to me. I'm only trying to help you. Can't you see that?"

"Shut up." Quinton growled.

"No, I won't." She pressed her forehead against the glass and sighed. "I know you think you're in love with Caleb but it's not real. Quin, please believe me. He has you under some kind of spell or enchantment. I know it sounds crazy but it's true. He's a witch or something. He uses black magic to get what he wants. He can influence people, manipulate them. Quinton, he's dangerous."

Quinton turned and glared at Shelby with all the hate he could muster. "Why?" He demanded. "Why do you believe that? Because Rhys fell in love with him? Because he took Rhys away from you? Is that what you think?"

Shelby felt that familiar rage rise up through her body at the mention of Rhys. She suddenly wanted to scream, to rip her claws through the steel door and then, rip her claws through Caleb. "Rhys didn't love him. He was tricked. Caleb manipulated Rhys into helping him escape Silver Moon and then he manipulated him into bringing him here. Don't you think it's a little strange that first he's attached himself to Rhys and now to you? He's using you, Quinton. Just like he used Rhys and if you're not careful, you'll end up dead too!"

Quinton punched the glass hard, causing Shelby to jump back. He was fuming. All his restraint gone and the only thing keeping him from ripping Shelby to pieces was the metal and glass between them. Zev had been smart to take the keys. Quinton knew that had he been left with them, Shelby would be dead by now. It had taken every ounce of strength he had to keep from killing her when he'd cornered her in the woods. Strength, and the council of a good friend helping to keep him calm but that calm could only last so long.

"Shut your mouth." Quinton growled. "You know nothing. You've targeted Caleb because you feel threatened by him. He took away the only man you ever loved and now you want revenge, plain and simple."

"Rhys and I were friends." Shelby sneered. "Friends and maybe one day partners. That's all."

"Oh, stop lying." Quinton threw his hands up in frustration. "You're either lying to me or to yourself but I see through you. You've been in love with Rhys since you were kids. I know it and he knew it too though he was too kind to call you out on it. He probably hoped you'd outgrow your infatuation with him eventually, but you never did, did you? How it must have burned you when you learned that he'd taken a mate and fathered a child."

"Rhys and Caleb were never officially mated." Shelby corrected. "To call him his mate is an insult to Rhys. Rhys never loved him, he couldn't! Rhys loved..." Shelby snapped her mouth closed quickly when she realized what she was about to say but it was too late. Quinton could already see the truth.

"You think Rhys loved you?" He asked, his voice softer now, lower but still with a sharp undertone. "Is that what you really think?"

"What does it matter now." Shelby walked to the cot at the other end of the room and sat down, bowing her head in defeat. She spoke so low that Quinton had to strain to hear her, even with his wolf's ears. "Rhys is dead. Because of Caleb, he's dead. Any chance we had to be together is gone now."

Quinton put a hand against the glass window and sighed heavily. "There was never any chance that you and Rhys would be together, Shelby. Rhys was your friend, but that's all he would...could, ever be to you. He would never have taken you as a lover and he certainly would never have accepted you as his mate."

Shelby looked up, her expression dark and angry. "You don't know that." She hissed.

"Yes, I do." Quinton looked at her with pity rather than anger. It was the first non-threatening look he'd given the beta since bringing her in. "Rhys was gay, Shelby. Rhys didn't care if his sexual partners were omega, beta, or another alpha, as long as they were male. He had no interest in females at all. Never did. But, he always knew that he'd mate an omega one day. So, even if he wasn't only attracted to males, he still would never have mated you. A beta simply can not bear an alpha's child, and he wanted children. He told me as much."

Shelby shook her head as tears filled her eyes. She viciously wiped them away. "I could have made him happy." She protested. "He and I were perfectly matched. If Caleb hadn't come along..."

"No, Shelby. You wouldn't have made him happy. But it doesn't matter because the two of you would never have been together. I don't believe that Caleb tricked him or manipulated him at all. I thought the same as you when Caleb first came here but I was angry and grieving. I wanted to blame someone, so I do understand how you feel, but you have to let this anger go, Shelby. I know my brother's mind. He wasn't one to be led so easily. He's dealt with criminals and con-men for years and he knew how to protect himself, so there is no doubt in my mind that what he and Caleb shared was real and true, just as I'm positive that what I feel for Caleb is real. There's no deception here, I love him, and so did Rhys."

"I can't accept that." Shelby looked up at Quinton, her stare serious and stern. "There's more to the story than what you were lead to believe. Caleb wasn't being mated off to Bowden's brother because they revered his power. He was being mated to him so he could be controlled. They didn't respect him or his power, they feared him. Hell, his own family feared him. Seth Bowden knew the only way to protect himself and his pack was if he could control Caleb before he became too dangerous."

Quinton raised an eyebrow as he stared at Shelby suspiciously. "And just where did you get this information?" He asked her.

"I have my sources." She told him. "You may not have vetted your new mate but I sure as hell did and he is not what he claims to be. You can't trust him."

Quinton narrowed his eyes. "Caleb isn't the one I can't trust." He growled.

Shelby huffed and rolled her eyes. "We'll just see about that."

Quinton, ignoring Shelby's remark, turned and stalked back down the hall towards the elevator. He'd heard enough. There was no reasoning with Shelby. She had her mind made up. Caleb was the enemy and she was bound and determined to expose him, kill him even, and she would not be swayed. Quinton felt a deep pang of regret at this revelation. Though he couldn't let her escape punishment for her crimes, he had hoped, albeit a small hope, that Shelby would have at least shown some remorse for what she had done.

It wouldn't have excused her behavior but he might have been more merciful in his sentencing. His hands were tied though. The law was the law. Anyway, Quinton couldn't be blamed for what was to come. Shelby had brought it on herself.

***

When Caleb heard the door to his room open and the rushing of foot steps to his bed side, he knew who it was even before he'd opened his mouth to speak. Caleb's eyes popped open just as Quinton leaned in and kissed the top of his head.

"I'm here now my love." He said, his voice sounding shaky. Caleb could sense his fear. He could smell it rolling off of him. "I'm so sorry that I wasn't here earlier but I had something that needed to be taken care of first."

Quinton could have kicked himself the moment the words escaped his mouth. Nothing should have been more important then being at his mates side but his anger and need for revenge had clouded his better judgment. He hoped that Caleb understood. Quinton's only thought was to protect his mate and the only way he knew to do that was by punishing the one responsible for Caleb's injuries...Shelby.

"It's all going to be okay now." Quinton assured him. "You're going to heal but first you need to shift. I'm going to help you." Quinton stroked Caleb's soft white fur, careful not to touch the areas of exposed flesh from where Shelby had sank her claws and teeth into him. Just seeing Caleb like that, opened wounds and fur matted with blood, ignited a new anger within Quinton. He'd only briefly glimpsed the injuries near the lake but seeing them now, under the bright, clinic, light, he saw just how deep they were. He was amazed that Caleb had even managed to make it out of the woods at all, let alone in one piece.

Caleb whimpered some as Quinton stroked him but not because he was in pain. He was. He was in quite a lot of pain to be honest, but that didn't matter to him. What mattered now was that Quinton was here, finally, yet still so far out of reach. Caleb wanted to jump up and wrap his arms around Quinton and nuzzle his face into the alpha's neck. He needed that closeness, that intimacy, and he needed it bad. Not being able to curl up in Quinton's lap and feel the safety of his arms wrapped around Caleb's frail body caused a pain in his heart that he barely understood.

"Hush now." Quinton whispered. "Everything is going to be alright. I promise." Quinton closed his eyes and cleared his mind of all thoughts but Caleb. Not an easy feat to accomplish given how angry he was. Images of Shelby attacking Caleb and tearing into him flashed through Quinton's mind. He hadn't seen the attack but he could imagine it just as clear as if he had been there and witnessed it all for himself.

He could kick himself for ever leaving Caleb's side. That stupid hunt and his stupid need to prove his masculinity had caused this. It had given Shelby the opening that she needed. Of course, Quinton had never dreamed that she would have gone so far as to try and kill his mate. That was Quinton's mistake and one that he would not be making again. He trusted Shelby far too much when he should have seen the danger that she posed. The signs were there. Quinton just didn't want to believe that Shelby, his friend, could be so cruel.

Quinton took a deep breath and once again tried to clear away all thoughts of anything but Caleb and trying to help him. He thought of Caleb's face. His bright smile and beautiful eyes, his auburn hair flowing freely over his shoulders. He thought of the way Caleb made him feel, the great amount of love that he had for the other man. He thought of the two of them sharing a life together, creating a mate bond that would last forever. The bond would link them mentally, emotionally, and spiritually, allowing each to share their thoughts, feelings, and emotions with the other. It would allow them to share their strength and energy.

This was what Quinton wanted now. A transferring of energy from one shifter to the other. He could use his energy to force Caleb to shift back to human. Shifting would cause Caleb's wounds to heal as his body was changed, taken apart and then remade in a new form. Open wounds would heal, new skin would replace old. Each shift was like being reborn anew, revitalizing the shifter a little more each time they went through the transformation.

Chancem77
Chancem77
203 Followers