A Lovely Day

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Well, who was it?" Glory asked, breaking me out of my thoughts.

"Oh, as I said, he used a fake name, but I'm sure it was Ted Bundy," I said.

"Oh, my God," Glory exclaimed, a look of horror coming over her face.

"Yeah," I said. "Of course, I didn't know who Ted Bundy was back then, so I treated him like any other customer. He seemed nice and talked about going to Utah to visit some friends and go to school. I was somewhat surprised when I heard him say that since there were more direct ways to get to Utah than going through Groveland. However, I didn't say anything, happy for the business. I think I only had one other guest that night, but thank God Jack was with me that night, so nothing happened."

"Wow," Glory said, shaking her head, "you got me beat there. So, what happened after that?"

I continued, "Well, he just checked out the next morning after grabbing breakfast. Again, he came across as a nice guy, so I didn't think anything about it. We chatted briefly about President Nixon's resignation and whether or not President Ford should pardon him. The next year, when I heard on the news about Ted Bundy, I reported the event to the police. A couple of nice detectives came out to interview me. They thanked me for telling them about the encounter. Apparently, they were trying to figure out his route to see if he could be tied to any other murders along the way. In fact, I believe they found one girl they thought was killed by him as he traveled through California." I shuddered again, thinking that I could have been one of his victims...

***

... I got the girls all packed off by the time Stephanie showed up at noon. Since we were totally booked, there wasn't much for Stephanie to do today. I offered to let her off so she could enjoy the day, but she declined, saying that leaving me here alone wasn't something she wanted to do. Except for the occasional phone call asking if any rooms were available, we spent the afternoon on the patio, either loafing or cleaning the pool. While it wasn't used much, I was continually skimming leaves and other things off the water that either fell in or were carried in by the occasional breeze.

While lazing by the pool, Stephanie asked, "Darl, how did you ever get into this business?"

I thought about it for a minute before answering. I started by saying, "I fell in love with this area the first time I visited here twenty-five years ago. I was born and raised in the Bay area. I had lived in an urban environment my whole life until I graduated from the Dominican College of San Rafael with a degree in business administration. I had planned to work for one of the insurance companies, but the first time I visited Yosemite, that idea flew right out of my mind.

"I had brought Jack along, and we came across this motel as we headed into the park. It was run down, and the owner wanted to retire since he couldn't keep the place up anymore. I instantly fell in love with the idea of buying this place and making a going concern with it. I had some money, and Jack was willing to pitch in and do the handiwork, so I put in an offer on it. I got a decent interest rate on the mortgage, and Jack and I spent the rest of '63 remodeling the motel. We were an immediate hit when we opened in '64, especially since we had put the pool in. Since then, except when fire season was terrible, we've always made money, so it has been worth it.

"Since we have been so successful, and demand is always ahead of availability, other motels and cabin rentals sprang up in the area over the next few years. I never minded the competition because I'm competitive. I enjoy the challenge to provide the best service to the customers," I finished, memories of that first year here flashing through my mind.

"Wow," said Stephanie, "that's like a fairy tale come true."

"I could never have done it without Jack," I said, my heart clenching at the thought of all the hard work we put into this place during that first year. The long days before falling into an exhausted sleep late at night made it challenging. However, having Jack by my side, always cheerfully pitching in, made it worth it, especially waking up spooned against her in the morning. The morning sex was incredible and made it worth the rest of the day, no matter how hard.

Our conversation tailed off, and I reminisced about those early days of owning the motel...

***

September 1963

As we approached Groveland, I kept a lookout for the motel I had seen on our last trip with the "For Sale" sign in front of it. When I saw it and the sign, I directed Jack to pull into the parking lot. I noticed the motel desperately needed some upkeep, so my initial enthusiasm started waning. When we went in and saw the old couple running it, I saw why it was in such a condition.

I asked them about the motel and said I was interested in bidding on it. They were happy to show me around, and we turned it into an inspection tour. I saw Jack looking around, and I could see she was enthusiastic about taking on the challenge of fixing it up.

When we finished the tour/inspection, I got the information on the realtor handling the property. I left, having a lot to think about. While driving home, we discussed the property's viability and how we would finance it. I had some savings, as did Jack, so making a bid on the property was doable if we could get a reasonable price and a good rate on the mortgage.

While I investigated how we would finance the purchase and fix up the motel, Jack was looking into the costs for the materials needed and all of the rules and regulations regarding construction. In the end, if we did go through with it, we'd have to keep it closed over the winter while we fixed it up. So we'd have no income for at least six months. That would require getting a bridge loan to finance us until we opened.

Using my connections at work, I found the best mortgage and bridge loan deal. I also talked to my parents. They agreed to help by loaning me money from their savings and co-signing the bridge loan. I was so glad they were willing to help me out, and I vowed to work my ass off to ensure they didn't regret their decision.

With the financing all worked out, I took a sabbatical from my job. I could have just quit, but if the venture didn't work out, I could fall back on my career as I worked my way out of bankruptcy. As I signed the mortgage for the motel, I realized this was opening a new chapter in my life.

Jack and I packed our meager belongings and moved into the motel. The first thing we did was remove the "For Sale" sign and replace it with an "Opening Soon" sign. I knew word-of-mouth advertising was the best, so we got our supplies locally. We also hired local talent such as plumbing and electricity as needed when something came up that Jack and I couldn't handle on our own.

Jack and I worked from sunup to sundown, only taking breaks for lunch and dinner through the winter, making significant progress on getting the motel ready for business once spring arrived. I ensured all the local papers knew what we were doing and paid for advertising so people would know we would be open for business. Luckily, we kept a cadre of loyal customers from the previous owners. We had sent letters to them, letting them know about us and the improvements we had made to the motel. So, we already had some business lined up for the grand opening...

***

... Guests started filtering back into the motel by late afternoon. I kept an eye out for the first-timers to see how they fared. I saw that look of wonder on some of their faces that told me they had seen the face of God while out on their hike. Even those who've been out there before had that look of wonder, so I knew they'd be back again someday.

When everyone was out on the patio, I heard the hushed talk as everyone talked about their day and what they had seen. Not a few thanked Stephanie for her suggestions, saying they had a wonderful time despite how tired they were from the hike. I noticed that Virginia and Bonnie joined in on the conversations, eager to share their experience. Everyone had taken cameras to take pictures, so I cautioned them that their photos wouldn't do justice to what they had actually seen. I urged them not to be disappointed when their photographs didn't capture all the beauty they saw while out there.

Eventually, everyone drifted off and back to their rooms to either go hiking again early in the morning or check out the next day to get back home to start the new workweek. I got back inside just as George showed up. He looked happy, so I knew his reunion with Dave had gone well. Since we were still fully booked, George wouldn't have much to do tonight, so he could catch up on his sleep.

I bid George good night and headed up to my apartment. As I got ready for bed, I thought about Jack, hoping she was safe and would be home soon. As I drifted asleep, I thought about Jack and our first trip to Yosemite...

***

June 1963

After graduation, I interviewed with several companies, including Fireman's Fund Insurance Company, which I interned with during my summer break last year. They made a decent offer that I accepted, having enjoyed my work as an intern. I would start my new position in July and start working my way up the corporate ladder, so I had some free time before settling into my new job.

Upon graduation, Jack and I moved into our little apartment in the Maxwell Park area of Oakland so we would have similar commutes to work. It wasn't ideal, but we were in love and wanted to make it work. In any event, I'd have to share an apartment with someone anyway, so it might as well be with someone I loved.

Since I had a couple of weeks, I wanted to spend some time hiking and enjoying nature with Jack in Yosemite National Park before settling into the daily grind of work. I managed to talk Jack into going, promising to show her some sights she'd never forget. As much of a tomboy as she had been growing up, she had never spent time camping. I wanted to share with her what I loved about the great outdoors, and I hoped she'd come to love it as much as I did.

We packed Jack's car with our gear, planning to camp out and hike for three days. We'd do it in the middle of the week when it would be less crowded. We took off on SR 50, wending our way through the mountains to the Central Valley, passing through Pleasanton and Livermore. At Manteca, we got on Highway 120, traveling through Oakdale before getting to Groveland.

As Jack drove us through Groveland and up to the North Pines campground, I looked over at her as she paid careful attention to her driving. I loved what I saw. My heart thrilled with how much I loved her and how much she would enjoy this camping/hiking trip.

We stopped at the park office and paid for a camping spot for the three days we would be there. We drove into the campgrounds and found our site. We parked as close to it as possible and spent the next hour setting up and getting our gear stashed away in the tent. Once that was done, we consulted our hiking trail maps and guides and decided to take a short hike up to Mirror Lake to stretch our legs after the long drive.

We made the short hike up to Mirror Lake, enjoying the view as we went. Being a city girl, Jack was fascinated with the wildlife and foliage we passed. We found it lived up to its name when we got to the lake. The lake was like a mirror since it was in a hollow where the breeze wouldn't disturb its surface. We could see Half Dome in its glory in the evening sun looming over the valley. Since the sun was getting low in the sky, and we were hungry, we didn't stay long and headed back to our campsite.

Since campfires weren't allowed due to the dry conditions, we used our propane stove to fix a quick hot meal. After cleaning up, we retired for the night. We had a double sleeping bag, so we stripped before getting in. We clinched and quickly warmed the bag up before we drifted off to sleep in each other's arms.

The morning air was chilly when we woke up, and I got goosebumps when I climbed out of the sleeping bag to get dressed. The birds chirping all around us almost drowned out our conversation as we dressed and fixed breakfast. We were hiking up to Glacier Point Scenic Overlook today, and tomorrow, we wanted to hike up to the top of Half Dome.

Once packed and ready to go, we headed up the trail along the Merced River. Once we got to Clark Point, we found the trail that would take us up to Glacier Point. The path wasn't that difficult, but it wasn't easy either, being quite steep in some places. It took us almost three hours, but we finally reached Glacier Point. We met a lot of hikers on the trail, and the camaraderie made the hike easier. We were hot and sweaty when we arrived at the scenic overview, but it was certainly worth the effort. The view was incredible, especially the view of Half Dome, shining white in the bright sunshine.

We found a spot and ate the lunch we had packed. Jack was so animated about what she had seen; I loved how she was so into it. We managed to steal a few kisses when no one was nearby. Once we ate lunch, we walked around, enjoying the many views. Once everything that could be seen was seen, we headed back down the Panorama hiking trail to the Merced River. We stopped to rest at the Vernal Falls Bridge, enjoying the view. Since the distance from this point to Half Dome was the same as Glacier Point we had just been at, we decided it was doable and to go there tomorrow.

While hiking back to our campground, Jack talked enthusiastically about what she had seen today. I knew Jack had fallen in love with the great outdoors. We settled in for the night, weary but enthusiastic about the hike up to the top of Half Dome in the morning.

Morning found us both a little stiff. After a quick breakfast, we set off on the trail and quickly worked out the stiffness, enjoying the hike. Our route took us around the east side of Half Dome before we reached the part that involved using the cables to make the steep climb up the rocky surface to the top of Half Dome. We were breathing hard by the time we reached the top, but it was worth the effort.

I felt like I was standing on top of the world, and when I looked over at Jack, I saw that look on her face that I had seen before on other people who made it up here. We walked up as close to the edge as we dared and looked out over Yosemite Valley. I could see the Merced River as it wound its way through the valley below. It was stunningly beautiful as I watched the shadow of the occasional cloud drift over the green foliage of the valley below. Except for the sound caused by the occasional breeze blowing by, it was quiet, and I felt the need to whisper as I talked to Jack so as not to disturb the quiet. As much as we loved it, we had to eventually leave since it would take several hours to get back to our campground, and we didn't want to do it in the dark.

We hiked back in silence, punctuated only by Jack exclaiming how beautiful nature was when she couldn't contain herself. By the time we got back to our campsite, we were beat. We were almost too tired to fix dinner before getting ready for bed.

Despite our exhaustion, we still managed to make each other scream the other's name before falling asleep in each other's arms. When the sun rose over the mountain, we woke and ate a quick breakfast before loading up our gear and heading back home, aching but happy with what we had done.

As we passed through Groveland, I saw a motel with a "For Sale" sign in front of it. I kept that in the back of my mind as we headed back to Maxwell Park and our little apartment there. We both talked about how lovely Yosemite was and how we'd love to come back again and again...

***

Sunday - 08/29/88 - Whatever Happens

Whatever happens
We'll have some love along the way
But it ain't easy
We'll look for some words of love to say
And smile...mmmmm
It may happen anyway
And we'll kiss before we say 'goodnight'

I had just finished replenishing the breakfast room and was heading back into the office when the phone rang. I knew it was probably just my imagination, but from how the phone rang, I just knew it was Jack calling. I practically flew to the desk to answer the phone. I breathlessly said, "Pine Mountain Motel. How can I help you?" praying it was Jack.

When I heard, "Darl, I'm coming home," I nearly swooned.

"Oh, Jack, I missed you so much. When?" I asked.

"I'm getting ready to leave the warehouse. I'm going to stop at Maggie's, so it'll be early afternoon before I get there," Jack answered with a chuckle.

"See if you can find me another girl while you're there," I said, remembering that Jack had found Glory at Maggie's last time she was there.

"What? I'm not enough for you?" I heard Jack say with another chuckle.

My heart thrilled at how Jack loved pulling my leg and how easy it was to banter with her.

"Are you?" I asked archly, shining Jack on.

"Just you wait and see," Jack growled, making my entire body thrill.

"Don't make me wait too long," I said. "I love you," I added, my body already heating up with the thought that Jack would be home soon.

"I love you, too," Jack said before hanging up the phone.

I felt like I was walking on air the rest of the morning, smiling so widely that my cheeks started hurting. The girls noted my attitude and smiled along with me as we worked. I had to keep a couple of girls back because a few people were checking out today, so the rooms could be occupied up to 11:00 AM. I flipped the 'Vacancy' sign on, hoping to fill the empty rooms again. By the time the girls were done for the day, Stephanie had shown up for her shift. She looked at me and said, "Jack's on her way, isn't she."

"How did you know?" I asked.

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe because your head's in the clouds and you have a huge smile plastered on your face," Stephanie said.

"That obvious, hunh," I responded.

"Only because I know how you feel about Jack," Stephanie said. She sighed, "Someday, I hope I find a guy who makes me feel like you do about Jack." That said, Stephanie shrugged off her pack and settled in behind the desk.

"I'm sure you will, Steph," I returned. Before I headed upstairs to get my lunch, I told her about the available rooms. I ate automatically, not even paying attention to my food while I thought about Jack coming home. When I finished, I cleaned up in anticipation of seeing Jack soon. I came back down into the office and puttered around, finding it hard to concentrate on my work. I was pacing so much that Stephanie got annoyed and shooed me out of the office.

I ended up on the patio, sweeping leaves out of the pool. As I worked away, I thought about Jack and how much I loved her. Finally, I heard a diesel engine's faint, low growl getting louder coming up the valley. I recognized that sound, and as much as I wanted to run to her, I finished what I was doing, listening to the sound of the engine getting closer and closer. When I heard the engine suddenly rev down and the toot of the horn, I hurried around to the back of the motel just as Jack pulled her tractor up into the driveway.

I impatiently waited for Jack to shut down the engine, clamber out of the cab, and jump to the ground. Seeing that she had no passengers this time, I ran up and launched myself at her, nearly knocking her back against the cab. My arms went around her neck, and I wrapped my legs around her hips as her hands went to my ass to support me. Our lips crashed together, and we both started moaning as our tongues battled for supremacy.

I could feel that Jack was packing as I started grinding my pussy against her. My pussy started flowing, and my clit and nipples pulsed. When we broke the kiss, I stared into Jack's dark eyes and husked, "So, is that a banana in your pocket, or are you glad to see me?"