A Mage's Tale Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Tracking into the woods, I hear moans and grunts. I step out of the woods to find the Lord being ridden by a lavender hued member of Nix's kind, her pearlescent globes boucing in the evening sun. A pained look on the Lord's face raises my alarm. I cross quickly pushing the woman's shoulders, knocking her backwards into the lake.

Before she can return I grab the Lord's collar, and drag him away from the lake's bank into the ring of pines. His eyes have a vacant look about them. His pulse is racing and his breath shallow and panting. I grab the lightning wands and will them down to the lowest amount of voltage possible. Hoping for the best, I give him a zap. He bucks and inhales a deep sharp breath.

Coughing, he rolls to look at me, "Don't tell my wife."

"I have no idea what you mean, Lord, I saw nothing. In the future, stay away from the darker colored ones, it is a sign they are in heat," I lied, trying to save the man's pride.

"That's why you wanted the lake?"

"Yes, sir. Unwary men have found, all be it pleasurable, death at this lake."

Gathering himself and righting his clothes, "Those creatures should be hunted down and exterminated."

"How?" I ask. "Are you going to swim, who knows how far into the water to do that? No, sir, best thing to do, would be to advise his Majesty to create a list of hazards like this one, and post signs that you enter at your own risk."

"But they are vile, evil..."

"Sexy, alluring, trying to breed. May have not even known her sexing you silly was endangering your life. I didn't kill her just cause she was getting some. Like the Siren, not really intending evil, just seen that way."

"But they eat people, steal children, fuck people to death."

"One, so do some humans, two, same, and three, what a way to go. Look, I am not saying a larger sum of other races aren't aggressive towards humans but, look at it from their side. Humans came stomping into their parts, and took most of their food, cut down their hiding places, and hunted them without even seeing if they were willing to share the area."

"You sound like a Druid."

"I don't doubt it. But imagine what fishing would be like if mer-folk herded fish like ranchers do cattle. The fishing village would never have to risk their sailors trying to find fish. The fish would come to them."

"A village like that would be a boon. What would mer-folk want in return?"

"What do you want in a home?"

"Shelter, security, somewhere my children could walk without fear."

"Replace walk with swim, you have your answer."

"You are a mage? I mean, this type of prattle comes from rangers, druids, Sages. Why would it make a whip of difference to you?"

"I have been granted the honored position of Consort to Queen Caldoria, and speak as her ambassador. I will be introducing myself to Jack, I mean His Majesty, after all the duties with the court are complete and proper announcements are made."

"Shit. I was starting to like you. Plus you saved my life and have seen me in a very compromising position."

"Want to make it up to me?"

"How?"

"Let Lady Helzury put you in that position. She may even surprise you," I say with a wink. "You're quite gifted for a man of your maturity."

"Why would you say such a thing?"

"I get friendly with lots of inhuman women, they like it on top. Consort isn't just a title under the sea. Now you have a secret about me. We are men, on our honor we will speak not of these things."

"Guess I have to go back to liking you again."

"Good. How would you suggest I introduce myself to Jack?"

The Lord's chuckles spiraled up to full wipe-the-tears laughter. We talked over what lands I wished to buy and how that would give rights to the Mer-folk in the waters off the coast. We exchanged advise, I on ways he could bring spice back to his Lady's love life, and he on how to approach the empire's king and nobility.

I escorted him back to the guards' camp, pointing out a few land marks so he didn't get turned around and lose his direction again. The guards shook their heads, he gave me a wry smile. I wished them all safe journey come the dawn, and walked to the cliff side. The waters were deep and dark at this hour. Giving a last wave, I took a dozen sprinting steps and leaped from the cliff.

I hit the water with my heart in my throat. My cloak went active, and I flew through the water like lightning. I banked in an arc toward the little island's cove. I shot up out of the water at speed, getting enough height to land on the lowest ledge on the back of the island. Tempis stared wide eyed as I shouted in exhilaration.

"You going to do that a lot?" Tempis asked.

"I don't think I will ever do that again," I answered in a shaky voice.

I needed out of the wet clothes, and a rinse in fresh water. Tempis went over to what was starting to look very much like a nest and settled herself. She watched with scrutiny as I undressed and washed myself. After doing a freshening on my clothing, I sat down on a smooth section of rock.

"Are you going to um.. sleep right there?" Tempis asked gently.

"After not sleeping last night, and the day I've had, I am sleeping, my eyes just haven't gotten the message yet," I answered feeling the claws of exhaustion pull me ever closer to the dark of sleep.

"You wouldn't rather sleep higher up?"

"If I sleep here, you won't worry about where I am. If you wake in the night, I'll be here. This is a new place to you, you might not..." I trailed off into unconsciousness.

I awoke starving. Tempis was nowhere to be seen. I grabbed the pack and rummaged for something to eat. If it tasted good or not, I was too hungry to tell. Voices carried in on the breeze drew my attention outside. Over the side, on the sand four Mer-youths sat talking to Tempis. The conversation revolved around how similar flying is to swimming. The young male was fixated on Tempis' legs, especially where they met her body. The other three fell silent staring up at me. Tempis looks up and gives a friendly wave then gestures to move along.

I shake my head, returning my attention to food. I sit back popping a half strip of jerky in my mouth. The loop of rings hanging off my sash looks a few rings shy. Taking it up, there are only six rings on it now. The loop is still clasped shut. I wait for Tempis to come back up.

"Good morning, Nameless."

"I have a question for you. Did you take rings off of this loop?"

"Only the ones there was more then one of, was I not meant to?" She scurried to her nest.

"I would think you would ask first."

"My sisters and I shared the things we found. You didn't put them in a space that was yours," she said, tossing them back to me, tears at the corner of her eyes.

"I didn't know what they were. If you want them, and know what they are, keep them," I say picking them up and handing them back.

"Are you going to send me away?"

"No, I didn't get to check them. They could have been dangerous."

"This one tells rain and storms, this one won't let me sink.. There are two more of these," holding up the first, "And another of this one still on the loop," showing the second one.

"Did you check for curses?"

She drops them, and jumps back before they even hit the floor. "Why would they do that?"

I lean forward, picking them up again. I look them both over intently. "Luckily no curses," handing them to her. "What about these three?"

"Oh um, nothing, nothing but point out to sea, and um... evil things. You should throw it away."

"Really, and you left it?"

"You get them first, I just took extras. I didn't lie when you asked."

"Calm, I am learning. There's little known about sirens that isn't made up or true only about the more aggressive of your kind. I will learn your ways if you will teach them."

"So these are mine now?" holding the rings in her hand towards me.

"Yes."

Satisfied she put one on, and the other back in her nest. I check the nothing ring, it is as I thought, a ring of protection. The second nothing ring is really just pointing out to sea. A tracking ring with a set point? I set it aside and eye the evil things ring. It does bring up the question, what would a siren deem evil. Sliding it on my finger the reason is as clear to me as it was to her. It was a slavers' ring.

Pulling it off my finger, I put it on the loop, took the ring of water walking off, and rehooked it to my sash. I walked down to the cove to find Caldoria waiting. Sliding the water walking ring onto my finger, I strolled out on to the cove. Caldoria tilts her head when I don't sink into the water.

"That's one of those other rings I found?"

"Indeed. I am going to have to dress to try something out. One of those other ones points out to sea at something. I was thinking of checking it out. I am reluctant because I don't know how long it would take to swim to the land on the other side of this sea."

"Four hours, give or take."

"Then it is a mystery for another day. How are you this morning?"

"Five Missiles or four if I add one or both of the other spells."

"Plus the rings themselves. Remember that. If you need to use them, I can always put the spells back in again. I will write you a spell book, but that will take weeks even if I work on it and nothing else. You'll have to keep it up here on land and study with dry hands."

"Books and water don't mix."

"I don't know of a way to water proof a book that would still allow someone to read it."

"When will you be going back?"

"Just after mid-sun. I have eaten all the food available to me and I need a more restful night than sleeping on the ground. I have been making a list of things I will be bringing here."

"We have food. I will have some brought."

"I am not hungry for now. I have eaten. I came to aid the clan, my Queen. I can not stay, not yet. I have things to finish before I live with the clan regularly."

"I can want it. You have other things. You will return around the time of the full moon?"

"If not this moon, I will stay all four days of the next. If there is need of me, I will come as I did this time, only I should get here faster with your amazing gifts. Should those stay here?"

"No, you might need them."

"Thank you, my Queen."

"Call me by my name."

"Caldoria, Thank ya..." my words cut off as her lips pressed over mine.

She kissed me deeply, her arms over my shoulders to hold herself out of the water. Wrapping my arms around her waist, I return the kiss with equal passion. Her ample bosom felt natural pressed to my chest. Pulling away from me she gives me a playful yet forlorn look. Kicking her tail, she pulls me off my feet causing us to tumble into the water. In the surge of water she swirls around me and for just a moment I feel her mouth take my manhood. Then the feeling is gone and she giggles as she swims away glancing over her shoulder back at me.

I try to pull myself to the surface of the water to stand again with no success. Once in shallower water, I can step back onto its surface, making a mental note of this, I return to the shade of the island's ledges.

"Did she do it?" Tempis asks.

"Do what?"

"Give your staff a good-bye kiss, too," she says shyly.

"This would be of interest to you, why?"

"She isn't very practiced. We talked about how a man likes it. So she can please you when she can't give up the goods," Tempis says, turning and wagging her ass at me.

"You can't be telling the truth. She asked you how to go down on a man?"

"Yup, I told her. Don't be so worried, I left all the biting parts out," she says and bounces back into her nest.

I shudder and let the conversation drop. After dressing I take one more walk around the small island, reviewing the mental list of things I will have to bring with me next time. I give my good-bye to Tempis, and climb to the cliff top. Looking out over the cove, I can see details in the water that I couldn't see before: the shadow of the opening to the Mer-folk 'village', the line of chests along the sand shelf, and the unnatural turn in the current at the edges of the cove.

"You want a word with me?" a heavily accented female voice asks from behind me.

I turn to face it. The elven woman 'feels' regal, I start to bow before I realize what I am doing.

"You take a knee, and I'll slap the taste out of your mouth," she angrily says.

"You're ..."

"Deiquir Antaya Aquilinis, Elven Goddess of the Far Oceans. You are not my follower, nor are you fully elven. I am bribing you."

Fear hangs in my very soul, "To what end Dei.."

"Call me Aqua or Anna. Oh," she glyphs the air, "Sorry. I must have been crushing even to your half elven senses. Is it better now?"

"Yes, Lady Aqua."

"Drop the Lady part. You have questions?"

"Why save me? Not that I am ungrateful, what do you expect in return?"

"Step away from the cliff, others down there may see. I put you on the ship in the first place. Before you go into over analyzing, just listen. You are not the first agent, shall we say, I have employed. There have been several in the past decade. You are, however, the first I have spoken to directly."

"Agent?"

Holding her hand up, "Stay with me, I am a Goddess of the Seas, openly worshiped by the Elven people, but not exclusively. I have other names to the Mer-clans, Siren, Sea Devils, and even humans.. You're getting me off subject."

I step out of view of the cove below.

She continues, "Magic, like life, has a rhythm and flow. What happened to Tempis was getting far too common. In the short time you have had my boon, you have gained the interest of the human king, made a friend of the agent of Artimus, and done so with very little self serving. Yes, you have benefited and enjoyed new pleasures with many women. Yet you aren't being corrupted by this elevation in your social magnetism."

She gives me a wry grin. "In fact, my boon seems to have made you a better person."

"I would say that I don't feel better. More capable perhaps and more informed definitely."

"So the rhythm of magic is becoming erratic. Human wizards are drawing largely on the elemental side of magic. This would not pose a problem if the living magic saw an equal increase in use. But the hunting of the inhuman races has bottlenecked living magics. Allowing an imbalance to emerge that, if left unchecked..."

"Could lead to magic surging out of even the control of the Gods.." I sat following her thought.

"The world has tried on its own to correct this imbalance, the ever increasing of the dead not staying that way. Artimus and I fear a dark being of godly ability may be brought forth if we don't act. I am enlisting your help to prevent such an occurrence."

"What about the other Gods? Don't they see things as you do?"

"Does everyone you know like beets?"

"Beets? No one I know likes beets."

"How many of them like pickled eggs?"

"A few, I like them... Oh."

"Each God has their own tastes and view of the world, just as mortals do. They don't see magic unbalanced taking anything away from them. Much like many wouldn't see the loss of beets depriving them of pickled eggs."

"The dark god-like being, how much time do we have?"

"Left unchanged, half a century. If corrupted beings actively seek that power, a lot less."

"So how do I reopen the path of living magical energy. Start getting magical females baby making?"

"Slowing the destruction of the magical female races would be a better start. They'll baby make with or without your personal assistance."

"This is why you gave Caldoria my memories and ability to use magic. So she could take the Queenship and..."

"Give you social status that the human King will have to honor. The agent of Artimus helped things along, getting you involved with the King's political issues, Vilkirk. Artimus needs to give me more of a heads up next time."

"Valkyrie is the agent of Artimus," I say.

"Hold your tongue around her, she doesn't know. You were not told by me, and should never speak of it. I am glad you wanted to thank me. Even my followers forget occasionally. We will have to talk again sometime. I have overstayed myself. Should you really need to speak with me like this, call my name over a calm sea."

"You want me to aid in balancing magic? But I am free to do that however I can or want?"

"I have given you much in reward for this already."

"I am just making sure, I have never heard of a Goddess or God giving such a clear answer or task."

"True, but what are you going to say if someone finds out you work for a Goddess," she says as she fades from view.

Thinking about that, I start to laugh. She is right though, those that say a god has spoke to them play it up or are just loons to start with. Her aura was overwhelming, which would change how what was spoken to a person would feel. I start walking towards the lake. Looking down at the water spear and dagger, I debate whether or not to carry them back to the Vale.

"Nameless, wow. You sure made out in the gifts," Nix says from the lake.

"Yeah, guess I really did."

"You don't sound happy about it, did something happen after I left?"

"I feel weird about it, all these weapon type gifts. They're part of my station so I accept them. Getting used to them will take me longer."

"Did you tap out an agreement with the Queen?"

"Yes and no, I know what you're asking, she is not in her phase for that."

"So you didn't get any or she give you something to tide you over?"

"You're being kinda lewd for an empath. Are you feeling alright?"

"I'm sorry! I don't.. I didn't..." her eyes wide, sinking into the water.

I enter the lake and swim towards her. Her skin is showing more vivid hues than it had when we swam here. Shades of blue highlighted her muscles below her skin and curve of her breasts. She slunk low, flattening herself to the sandy bottom. As I drew closer, she backed away keeping distance between us.

"Are you in heat, um, a spawning time?"

"No, but seeing you I just wanted to. I mean you look so..."

"Did you feel that way before talking to me? Or still feeling it now?"

"I was looking forward to maybe having time with you, as you said on the trip here. I feel afraid, but it's not you. I know it's not you."

"Can you feel me?"

"No. I ... no I don't feel you. But I felt you coming and popped up to let you know I was here."

"Do you remember smelling or perhaps tasting something when you talked to me?"

"Sex. I tasted sex and wanted to taste it. You calling me lewd triggered my anger, snapping me out of it before I climbed on top of you and made you fuck me."

"Another of your kind did just that yesterday."

"TO YOU?!!?!"

"No, to a Lord who was surveying the area for the King. I shoved her back into the lake, and dragged the Lord off before she fucked him to death. Her skin had those darkened patterns to it as well."

Looking down at her self, "These are mating signs. My real season isn't due for two moon cycles."

"Something up there is a super aphrodisiac to your kind."

"But I have been to this lake many times, and talked in the open air with Mer-folk and others."

"I will go look around."

"For what?"

"Unusual blooming flowers or plants. Something that would carry in the air that I wouldn't think anything of normally. Stay under the surface."

Swimming up, I look around the lake. I gauge from which direction the breeze is coming, and climb the bank in that direction. I see milkweed, pitcher plants, and dandelions. Walking further from the lake's edge, there are patches of wild flowers. Further away a blooming tree sways in the afternoon breeze, its bloom clusters being sought by a swarm of bees.

I sniff the air, its scent is familiar, but I can't name it. I get a little closer, and a second scent starts to become noticeable, rotting apples, their sweet acidic tart stench carried along in the warm wind. I return to the lake.