A Matter of Blood Pt. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She was crying now, really crying. Not softly, but sobbing. She couldn't bring herself to speak but she was nodding in agreement. I was adjusted to her being the most controlled and logical of my sisters, someone who, if she had to cry, would hold it in until she was alone. A dam must have burst within her, releasing years of fear, worry, and guilt. The lovemaking had been cleansing for both of us, but this was healing. Eventually, she calmed down, and relaxed completely into my arms. I held her in silence for a long time, both of us touching each other as if reassuring ourselves that this was real.

Neither of us had any idea if healing and forgiveness would be enough, but we were together again. My father would tell me that I could never trust her, ever. Although I was like him in many ways, I was not him. I had a quiet faith in Merwyd that I could not explain had you asked me. I didn't know everything that had happened and maybe I never would. After all there was much that she would probably prefer not to tell me unless I asked her directly, and there was much that I would probably prefer not to know.

I was however much like Bayrd, which made me more concerned. I had done many stupid and impulsive things in my youth. If I was faced with the choice of losing Merwyd, Raisa, Adewyn or even my Mother forever or taking drastic action, I might make similar decisions to those my uncle had. Dealing with demons might be foolish, but he'd go about it as carefully as he could, maximizing return on risk, just as he did as a spymaster. I simply had no idea how to respond to this threat until he took action. I was certain that he would, and soon. I sighed, deeply.

Merwyd, looked up at me, concerned. I began to understand how anxious she would be to please me for some time. I'd have to do something about that.

"Something else bothering you love?"

"Yes. Nothing to do with you though, just something I can't get out of my head. I hope that I'm wrong about Bayrd. If I'm right then the war in the South will be much worse than this."

* * *

The following day was a bit mad, with arrangements being made for amnesties for soldiers and knights, new oaths taken, and Tyr's rather impressive war chest being counted. Parla and I met and negotiated her payment.

Well, I say negotiated, but really I just paid her what Raisa had promised and then made a very generous offer if she'd stay with us until the war was over. She agreed and then we drank ale and got caught up. She had left a few minutes before I did. As I walked out I was, briefly, distracted.

Before you judge me, let me assure you that I was in no way tempted. Simply because I notice a beautiful woman doesn't mean I intend to bed her. I was quite satisfied and grateful for the women that shared my bed.

That being said, I was married, not dead.

She stood near to my own tent, and I could only see her from the back, but I could tell immediately that she was, close to twenty, and extremely curvaceous, with a tiny waist. She dressed simply, in a peasant dress that she filled remarkably. She had medium length hair, and it looked to me as though she had put some ivy in it, which was quite exotic. In a camp full of soldiers, a woman like this did not go unnoticed. She was speaking to three young infantrymen and one knight. All were laughing at her jokes, which were, looking back, probably pretty funny.

I didn't recognize her until I got close enough to hear her voice. Hell, even then I doubted myself for a moment.

"Bartles?" I said, feeling vaguely guilty for feeling attracted to someone who I had last seen as a child.

She turned around and smiled, and then ran up and hugged me. Perhaps unintentionally, hugging the would-be king had the effect of scaring off any would-be suitors.

"Seath! I came here to find you! I wasn't sure if you'd remember me..."

"How could I forget you? You were always so irritating, there was no chance."

I said it, but I did so in jest. She laughed. She only had the barest hint of her teenaged awkwardness, and I could see that what I thought was ivy in her hair was her hair. I smiled, more appreciative of her beauty, but not in the way I might typically be.

"You've blossomed. I thought you would."

She blushed, and it had a faint greenish tinge.

"Why didn't you tell me? I knew...I mean I always knew I had a little Wyldblood in me, but...I didn't expect this. It still frightens me a bit..."

"I didn't tell you because I wasn't sure if it would happen, and I'm no expert on the process. But I can feel it. You've got deep magic, girl. You were always pretty, and now you're devastating. Like a fae princess from the old stories."

"Oh shut up," she said, bashfully, "you would say that, you dog."

"Only you and around five other women get to call me a dog."

"Only me and half the bloody kingdom, if your men are to be believed."

I laughed, and led her into my tent. I poured her wine.

"I understand that you took good care of my sister and niece. Thank you for that."

"Of course! Gwyn is a delightful child, so sweet and clever. And Merwyd is so beautiful and smart. Hard to imagine that she's related to you."

I laughed, nearly spitting out my wine.

"I see why you get along so well with my sisters. That's exactly the sort of thing they'd say. So did you just drop by to see me?"

"No. I mean, I'm glad I got to see you, but I'm here to watch Gwyn and I thought I'd drop by a little early and see if the mighty king had a little time to spare."

"I always have time for you, Parla, and Sari. On that note, would you consider being Gwyn's nanny? Merwyd is an attentive mother, but she's going to be busy now that she's here, and I trust you, as I am sure she does. And there's another child on the way, as well."

Bartles looked rather surprised, and blushed adorably.

"I mean...I'd like that very much. I love being with Parla and Sari and the company...but I'm not much of a soldier, and I know they just kept me around to be nice."

"They kept you around because they love you like a daughter and you were good for morale. Speak to her and think about. I will too, if you want. Parla wants the best for you, so I'm sure she'll accept whatever you decide."

And that's how Bartles joined our little family, which proved important later.

Also, I'd just like to add, for the sake of posterity and my endlessly skeptical sisters: I never slept with her.