A Monster Life Ch. 64-66

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Harry replied with a louder growl, and Ulric thought it was amazing how the golem created by Isazea had so much awareness. He noticed the terrain became rougher, which was not a surprise seeing their route to the next artefact led across another mountain range. He sat forward again and by focussing on Harry and gripping him between his legs in a certain way, the remarkable golem shortened itself from it's low cruising shape into one resembling more that of a dirt bike. The sensation of riding a large beast became more real the way Harry navigated the uneven ground with the same grace a fast animal would.

A faint scent of warm water with a hint of sulphur drifted on the wind, and Ulric steered towards a patch of forest where it seemed to come from. The smell became stronger while he rode between the trees, until he spotted an open part in the forest's canopy and stopped a moment later at a rocky patch with warm water lightly fogging up the area. He focussed his mind on his girls. 'How does soaking in a natural spring after we eat sound?'

Iphigenia sat up in the kitchen. 'You found one?'

He smiled as he tested the water's temperature. 'Not too cold, not too hot, smells like it contains many good minerals.'

All his girls answered 'We're in!' at the same time and he laughed.

Iphigenia went over to Isazea's workshop, where Caylais helped her with some material experiments by applying her lightning abilities. 'Ladies, interested in joining us in a hot spring after we eat?'

Isazea pondered for a moment, which was her way of spontaneity, and nodded, while Caylais looked down at the stone she held. 'All of us together in one pool?'

Iphigenia went over to the feline and held her shoulders. 'Yes, that would be all of us, including the big puppy who discovered it.' She leaned closer to one ear. 'I'm sure he won't mind everyone's company.'

Caylais blushed. 'I, can't. Really.'

Iphigenia giggled. 'Don't worry, he won't eat you unless you like him to. Besides, Just wrap yourself in a towel if you don't want us to see. Take this chance because who knows when we'll see another lone hot spring and can soak in peace and quiet in the open air for a while. We might have shaken off our demon opponents for now, how long that will last remains a question.' She shook Caylais's shoulders. 'Come on, relax with us. As long as you're with us, you're one of us.'

Caylais sighed lightly, and figured it wouldn't be so bad to enjoy it with the others. She nodded. 'All right. I'll come along.'

***

Caylais clutched the towel wrapped around her torso as she moved to the edge of the warm pool, where the other girls slumped against any comfortable rock surface they could find and Susi sat in Ulric's lap. Even Trixy found a shallow spot to sit in the water. As Caylais suspected, she was still hesitant about joining them when she could see the top of the girls' chests in the murky water. Iphigenia beckoned her. 'Don't be shy, Cay. If Wolfie bothers you, I'll give him something else to look at.' she said and sniggered.

Ulric splashed her. 'Behave yourself in the company of others, young lady.' he said and gave her a mischievous grin.

She stuck her tongue out at him and pouted playfully.

Isazea giggled softly, and Caylais scolded herself for worrying too much, and thought if the shy Isazea could be here, so could she. She stepped into the appealing water, and the warmth immediately washed away her worries. There was a free spot next to Isazea where she settled down and relaxed like she hadn't done in a while. She made herself comfortable and was glad she had mustered up the courage to join the party.

They had soaked for a while when Conchim sat up at once and stared into the water. Ulric leaned forward. 'What is it?'

She squinted into the murky shadows around her. 'Something touched my leg.'

Ulric felt around in front of him while Susi sniffed the water. 'Maybe some half sunken piece of wood?'

Elzbieta sat up at once when something slid against her thigh. 'Here!' she said and searched around her.

The others did the same and Isazea hissed in surprise at a shiny blue-grey tail as thick as her wrist splashing the water in front of her.

'An eel!' said Iphigenia. 'It probably tastes good so let's catch it for our next meal.'

Everyone splashed as they tried to nab it, and turned the chase into more of a silly game than a serious hunt for their slippery prey, until Caylais jumped up with a yowl when it shot underneath her towel.

Everyone froze and stared at her when her towel fell into the water.

She looked down at herself, trembled, and rushed out of the water.

Iphigenia sat back. 'No wonder she worried about what you thought of her, Wolfie.'

Kaui laid her hand on Ulric's arm. 'Please don't be angry, Master.'

He gave her a reassuring smile and laid his paw on her hand. 'No worries. In my old world I knew several people who didn't fit the regular gender roles. It didn't matter to me as long as they were happy to be who they wanted to be.'

Iphigenia stood up. 'I'll go after her.'

Ulric grabbed her wrist. 'No, it's better that I go see her.' he said. 'If I am the one she worries most about, it's best I talk to her.'

He followed Caylais's scent through the trees until he heard her choking breath as she cried softly. At a small clearing, she sat between several big rocks with her tail tucked in tight. He moved close enough for her to notice him and cringe. She didn't run away and he was glad for that. He sat down against a rock opposite of her. 'Want to talk about it?'

She sobbed softly and glanced at him. 'You're not furious with me for pretending to be a girl?'

He titled his head and leaned it back against the rock. 'I see no reason why. I don't know enough about this world and its views, but although it was not as equal as it should be in my old world, not adhering to physical gender was accepted by most people. You are how you feel inside, after all.'

'I don't want to make you or the others uncomfortable by having someone like me tagging along.'

Ulric smiled a little. 'You're fine the way you are as long as it is what makes you happy. Besides, what would you expect to be seen as weird from a harem of different species of girls and a human possessed canine demon beast loving them in every way?'

Caylais chuckled softly once, wiped her wet cheeks, and shifted her position. 'Everyone who found out either kicked me away, or forced me to work for a few coins by threatening to tell everyone so I couldn't work anywhere.'

Ulric sighed. 'Sounds like you only hung around with the wrong kind of people. I'm glad you found us, even if I do say so myself.'

Caylais smiled a little. 'I thought so as well.'

Ulric pushed himself up and held out his paw to her. 'Let's relieve the others of their worries.'

With a slight hesitation at first, but then with new confidence at his sincere gentle smile, Caylais took his paw and he helped her up.

They arrived at the pool and the girls relaxed. Iphigenia crossed her arms and smirked at the feline. 'See? I told you not to worry about wolfie.'

Caylais giggled harder than she intended to and more relief washed over her. 'Yes.'

Iphigenia stepped up to her and took her by her shoulders. 'Any more secrets you're hiding from us?'

Caylais shook her head. 'I wouldn't know what.'

'No thinking about running away?'

She shook her head again.

Iphigenia pulled her into a tight hug. 'Good, because you shouldn't be afraid when you're one of us.'

The surprised Caylais hugged her back. 'Thank you.' she whispered.

Ulric hugged the both of them. 'Once again, welcome to Quaint.' he said and Caylais smiled. He then lifted them in his embrace and stepped into the water while they laughed. 'We have an eel to hunt and more soaking to do.'

The others spread out over the pool to search for the eel and Iphigenia kissed Ulric's cheek. 'Now I understand why you weren't charmed by her, Wolfie.'

He chuckled and pat her firm rear. 'I'm not charmed by every woman I see, silly girl.' he chuckled. 'But yes, I did sense a lack of reaction from my animal instincts.'

Iphigenia leaned against him. 'A shame though, it would be great to have her as a full member with even greater powers than she has with your mana boost.'

He hummed. 'True. But maybe there's another method to increase her power. She does handle my mana overload better every time.'

'Valdys will know or find out if there is, I'm sure.' Iphigenia said and stepped farther into the pool. 'But for now we're going to find that tasty eel first.'

***

After a very relaxing sleep thanks to the long soak in the hot spring, Ulric stretched his limbs with a couple of rounds running around Cat. He stopped when the wind carried a suspicious scent and looked into the direction it came from. 'Elz, Conchi? Can you come with me to check something out?'

Elzbieta looked at Conchim while they were stretching themselves. 'Something wrong, darling?'

Ulric walked towards a higher hill nearby. 'I need your eyes to confirm if what I smell is bad news or not.'

The two girls hurried outside. 'We're coming.'

They caught up with him, and Elzbieta and he jogged up the hill while Conchim flew low. At the top, Ulric pointed against the direction of the wind. 'I think I smell a bunch of people some distance away.'

The girls gazed with their sharp eyesight towards the horizon.

'I see something.' Conchim said. 'Just to the right of the patch of trees halfway towards the horizon.'

Elzbieta and Ulric looked for the spot. 'Crap.' he grunted when he saw a large group riding towards them, consisting of unsavoury elements of different demon species, and four familiar characters riding in front.

'And then some.' said Elzbieta. 'How did they find us?'

'Can we be sure they are following us?' said Conchim.

'It could be a coincidence, but I'm not counting on it.' said Ulric. 'They could have spies everywhere.'

Elzbieta watched as more demons on foot appeared from behind the trees. 'So, fight or flight?'

Ulric turned around to look at the direction they were heading. 'I prefer to avoid fighting. We're not that far from the gap that leads to the swamp Valdys said we'd have to cross, so I'd say we go on quickly and take advantage of the terrain to slow them down. If they follow us in.'

He looked at Elzbieta and she gave him a nod. 'I agree.'

'You two have more experience in this so I'll follow your advice.' said Conchim.

Ulric gazed at the oncoming small army again. 'I think the others will agree. Let's leave quickly.'

***

Cat moved quickly through the low gap in the mountain range while Valdys finished drawing the map she constructed from pieces she found in her library. 'The swamp covers nearly everything enclosed in this giant ring of mountains.' she said as she gestured at the map. 'Although there is dry land at the feet of the mountains, there are large sections with deep and wide cracks in the ground which are nearly impossible to cross. There's only one feasible way and that is to cross through the swamp. Unfortunately, it's not a straightforward path.' She traced a dotted line between irregular shapes. 'This is where the land is dry, or the bottom of the swamp is shallow and firm enough to walk through according to my information.'

Elzbieta looked closer. 'How much time are we talking about?'

'A few days. We can't move fast because it's possible the path and terrain has changed since what I have has been written down. The information about this swamp is scarce because this area is as good as unused. No travelling routes because few people had been able to traverse it.'

'I hope the enemy doesn't have a map like this.' said Ulric. 'Then we're more assured of an advantage.'

'I don't rule it out, but I think there's a small chance they have.' Valdys said, and tapped on square marks on the map. 'These should be ancient ruins and were only said to have been used once by elves and men.'

Ulric sensed Cat slowing down. 'I think we have arrived near the edge. Time to unload Harry.'

A long rope tied the golem bike to the front of Cat, and Ulric pulled on it to test if it held. 'Good. If we do happen to sink where the path is supposed to be, at least Cat can pull us out.'

Iphigenia pat Harry's head while he purred. 'If we reach the other side, we can truly say this type can go anywhere.'

Ulric straddled the leathery saddle. 'Isa asked me to name this new type, and I decided on Capri, which sounds almost like the name for the species of goats in my old world.'

'I like it.' Iphigenia said and kissed him. 'Be careful, both of you.'

She stepped into Cat as it followed Ulric and Harry into the swamp and the permanently overcast landscape.

***

An orc scout riding a nasr came up to Tarrence from the direction of the mountains. 'They entered the swamp.'

Muni grinned. 'Straight into the trap.'