A Moonlit Pact (Elowen & Thalion 3)

Story Info
Elowen goes for a walk in the forest with disastrous effect.
5.8k words
5
824
1
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This is part of a series that is essentially a novella, so if you haven't read Chapter 1 and 2, you might want to start there as the story won't make much sense without that context. Links to them: https://www.literotica.com/s/a-forced-union and https://www.literotica.com/s/shadows-of-obligation

I published chapters 3 and 4 together because I couldn't find a way to include a... moneyshot... in chapter three. Hope you enjoy it!

Chapter Three: A Moonlit Pact

Elowen clung to the pad of the skydancer, torn between gazing about her in wonder or keeping her eyes averted in fear. They crossed into the Whisperwood after lunch, leaving Aurelian behind them and entering the fae realm proper. Though only marked by a gray stone, the world changed from one step to the next on that border.

The colors were richer, more vibrant, with a shimmering quality that made everything seem to glow from within. The very air pulsed with an energy that sang through her veins, leaving her feeling invigorated despite her sleepless night.

Thalion had provided a salve for the slight bruises and aches left by his flogger, though her seat on the Skydancer still held a measure of discomfort. She shifted, trying to push aside the memory of her desires.

Am I turning into one of them?

The face of her father, tired and alone on his deathbed, haunted her, and she shoved it away, focusing on the entrancing beauty of the forest.

Trees, unlike any she had seen before, stretched toward the sky, their leaves a kaleidoscope of fall colors. Brightly colored bloomfay flittered among the brown stems of summer flowers. Their dragonfly wings shone in the dappling light and they laughed like silver tinkling bells as they chased each other through the air.

Thalion stopped once or twice, collecting small, glowing packages from the little fairies.

Elowen edged her mount closer to Diarmuid. "Why is he doing that?"

The black sidhe smiled at her. "He's collecting fairy dust."

"What does fairy dust do?"

"It powers our magic." His smile broadened as her face puckered in perplexity. "You'll see when we stop for the night."

A thrill of fear coiled through Elowen. Magic. Another thing her father had warned her about. It had been easy to avoid in human lands where only dark sorcerers and exiled fae held power, but here it was all around them. "Can anyone use magic?"

"If you know the ogham script, you can craft spells and power them through the dust." He searched her face as the column stopped again. "But Lord Thalion is an eirnacht and for them, the dust powers their magic. Fire, in his case."

So that's why the pendant is always warm. Her gaze drifted to her husband, who tucked the little glowing packages into a belt pouch. "Do the bloomfay give the dust to anyone who asks?"

"By the Dagda, no!" Diarmuid laughed. "The Whisperwood belongs to no one, but Lord Thalion could expand his lands to include it if he wished—especially now that he has claimed Aurelian. The bloomfay ladies pay him in fairy dust for their freedom."

Elowen's brows knitted together. "Isn't that just like paying a tax?"

"Somewhat," Diarmuid said with a low chuckle. "But they are free of his laws and do not need to answer his call should he ride to war. One of the wee folk once told me you could change who you pay tribute to, but if you change who you pay tax to, they call it treason."

That surprised a laugh from Elowen, and she relaxed a little. "Why only the ladies? Don't bloomfay men pay tribute?"

"The men live with the sidhe courts and visit the ladies' domains." Diarmuid pointed at a briar patch where a fairy rested in the heart of a rose. "They come together to share their lust, but they don't marry as we do."

"Oh." The heat of a blush stained Elowen's cheeks and they rode on.

A nixie danced gracefully in a crystal-clear stream, movements fluid and ethereal, fairy light shining in her naked breasts. She beckoned as she sang, calling them to join her. Elowen averted her eyes.

Even the stones and rocks seemed to hold a hidden life of their own. Small, mischievous earth spirits peeked out from the crevices, their eyes twinkling with mirth.

It was a wondrous place, and it was her world now.

No! It is only the world I live in. I am human.

She bit her lip, eyes turning to her husband. Thalion had become considerate once more, helping her mount, calling for rest when tension strained her shoulders.

Why had he spent a royal boon on Aurelian? Why was he so secretive about it?

Elowen looked away, tracing the flight of a pair of bloomfays. Even if he told her, what could she do with the knowledge? She chewed on the inside of her cheeks.

Last night, she would have done anything for release. Was she turning into his creature? Was this what her father had meant?

Abruptly, the delicate colors didn't look as fresh. This was Thalion's world. And he had made her long for the stinging slap of his hands on her pale flesh, even the sharp bite of leather across her breasts.

What is wrong with me?

The shadows deepened as the sun sank into the west. Thalion called a halt in a small glade with a tinkling stream running between luminous, moss-covered rocks. Tall tree trunks reached for the sky, casting long shadows over the ground.

Elowen dismounted with care, her muscles aching.

In the center of the glade, two gigantic hulked, meeting to form a triangle space between them. Glittering crystal traced out ogham runes in the stone edifice and Elowen caught her breath.

She turned to Diarmuid. "What is that?"

"It is a waystone. If you know the tides of magic and the proper runes to activate, you can open a gate between a pair of them and travel a thousand miles in the blink of an eye." He took the reins of her skydancer. "Tomorrow morning, Lord Thalion will open a path to Pyreheart's waystone." His sapphire gaze captured hers. "Are you ready?"

The smile crumbled off Elowen's face, and her eyes flicked to Thalion and back. Tomorrow, they'd be at his home. He'd bed her in the center of his power, and their marriage would be consummated under Queen Mab's law, whatever that meant.

It means Lysander is safe. It means Aurelian is safe.

She took a deep breath and lifted her chin. "Yes."

"Good." The priest patted her hand, the silver cauldron around his neck glinting. He led the skydancers away as the honor guard set up camp.

They moved with sure confidence, erecting tents, gathering firewood, and preparing supper. Diarmuid and Thalion groomed the mounts, talking quietly while they worked. Only Elowen had nothing to do.

Nothing except be his.

She couldn't spend another night just sitting here, worrying about what she would become. Tomorrow, he'd claim her in Pyreheart. Would there be anything left of her? Or would she be just a vessel for his painful desires? Doubts burned in her throat, and she turned away from the fire.

Thalion's voice called her back as she reached the tree line. "Elowen, where are you going?"

Reluctantly, she stopped, bracing her hand on the bark of a tall oak tree. "I thought only to take a walk, my lord."

"You may if you wish. There is little in the forest that would truly cause you harm." Twigs snapped behind her and he put his hands on her shoulders, turning her and lifting her chin. "But take nothing and do not let the fairy creatures touch you. In time, you will learn the rules of our realm, but until you do, be cautious."

Elowen forced herself to meet his starlit gaze. "Yes, my lord."

"Good. Also, here." He gave her a small pendant filled with iridescent fairy dust. An ogham rune had been carved into the glass. "For a light and in case you get lost. Snap your finger and it will shine, snap again for darkness. If you get lost, kiss the rune and ask it to guide you back to your lover." The corners of his mouth quirked. "Unless you've kissed anyone except me."

Heat scalded her cheeks, and she shook her head, taking the necklace and slipping it on. It dangled between her breasts, a colorful gem casting scintillating light on her pale skin.

A small worm of curiosity raised its head. "What does the rune mean?"

Thalion arched his brows. "Luis. It means rowan tree." He searched her face. "Would you like to learn the ogham script?"

Her heart skipped a beat. If she knew the runes, she could craft spells of her own. But she'd promised her father to stay away from magic. Shoving the curiosity aside, she ducked her chin. "No, my lord."

"The offer is there, if you wish." He kissed her forehead and released her shoulders.

The caress set soft moth wings fluttering in her chest. "Thank you."

But the bustle of the camp still scratched at Elowen, and she slipped between the trunks, heading deeper into the forest.

Meandering feet carried her along a faint path, her steps softened by the cushion of lush moss. Shafts of fading sunlight pierced the canopy overhead, casting a warm, golden glow that danced around her. An earthy scent of damp soil and the sweet fragrance of unseen blossoms enveloped her senses like an intoxicating perfume. As she walked, the soft whispers of the forest accompanied her, the rustling leaves and gentle murmur of the breeze telling ancient stories of the land.

Elowen trailed her hands over the mighty trunks, mindful of where she put her feet. Bloomfay sang as she passed and for the first time since the sidhe army had poured over Aurelian's borders, she was at peace.

The tree trunks grew thinner and parted, revealing a hidden glade like a vision from a dream. Vibrant green grass shimmered with each breath of wind, rippling underfoot. Flowers adorned the edges of the glade, lining a gorgeous crystalline stream.

Elowen dropped to her knees, reaching out a wondering finger. She had never seen plants like these. They glistened like precious jewels, their petals reflecting a myriad of colors as they swayed gracefully in the evening light.

Her fears about Thalion, her worries for Lysander—they all fell away as she touched the flower's soft petals. Its beauty sang to her, and she smiled, sitting back on her legs. She had stumbled upon a secret, a treasure hidden away from the world, and for a perfect moment, nothing else mattered.

Closing her fingers on the stem, she picked the flower, tucking it behind her ear. The surrounding air shifted. A captivating scent flooded her nose, like fresh rain mingled with the sweet, delicate fragrance of water lilies.

"Are you going to pay for that?" The voice was so melodious and lilting, Elowen could not make sense of the words. They seemed to vibrate in the air, caressing her skin like a babbling brook flowing over smooth white pebbles.

Elowen looked downstream, searching for the enchanting speaker. A nixie drifted over the spring, ethereal form shimmering like moonlight on water. Her translucent blue skin rippled, reflecting the gemlike beauty of the flowers. Long hair flowed like liquid silver over her back, tiny luminescent pearls adorning her brow like a radiant halo.

Elowen froze in her tracks, the nixie's words finally penetrating. "P-Pay?"

"Yes, pay. You can't just take one of my moondrops. They're not free." The nixie wound a strand of her hair around a blue finger.

"I... I don't have any money."

A laugh like a silver bell rang through the enchanted glade. "Silly human. Money can't pay for moondrops. If it could, there would never be eirnacht aspirants. But you can't be one of those, so you must pay with power."

Elowen bit her lip, her fingers tingling. "But... I don't have any of that either."

"Oh, but you do." The nixie undulated closer. Her watery palm cupped Elowen's cheek, a cool, ephemeral touch. She smiled, her mouth full of needlepoint teeth. "You're brimming with life to share. Lie down with me and I'll make your payment fun."

The nixie snapped her fingers, and a magnificent bed materialized in the heart of the glade. Ancient, gnarled wood formed its frame, grown into an entwined pattern of leaves, vines and blossoms. The four posts reached upward, twisting gracefully toward the sky like tendrils of a living tree.

A gossamer tapestry, woven from the finest silken threads, formed the shimmering canopy. Prisms dangled from golden ropes, like moonbeams dancing from a sky made of light.

Draped across the bed were plush, velvety blankets, woven from starlight and shadow. At the head of the bed, a sumptuous pile of pillows beckoned. Delicate embroidery whispered stories of ancient magic and forgotten dreams on the satin fabric. As a gentle breeze rustled through the glade, the sheer curtains surrounding the bed billowed, seeming to breathe with the pulse of the forest itself.

Dazed, Elowen took a step toward the fourposter. The nixie fluttered around her, her hands brushing over the swell of Elowen's breasts.

The pendant Thalion had given her burned into pale flesh.

Pain shocked Elowen back to herself and she backed away from the bed, her lungs cramping. "N-No. I c-can't. I'm... married."

"Married." The nixie gave a dismissive snort. "What does married matter? No one has claimed you, you bear no mark."

Elowen took another step back, clenching her hand over the pendant around her neck. It glowed with heat, the pain grounding her, and she took a deep breath. "It matters because I am promised to Lord Thalion Moonsong and no other. I will not go to your bed."

"But then you still owe me for the flower." The nixie smiled again, her needlelike teeth sticking out past her jaw. "And how will you pay me?"

Lifting her chin, Elowen tried for an imperious tone. "There must be some other way."

"I supposed you could enter The Darkling Forest, pass the eirnacht trial, and collect a moonstone from Orinthas." The nixie flicked her silver hair back. "But that's so much effort and anyway, you're human. Even if you could walk The Darkling Forest, what eirnacht would bind you to the stars? Come to bed instead—Thalion will never know."

Her siren voice lured Elowen, but the pendant cut into her palm, reminding her where her duty lay. "I'll collect the moonstone."

As she uttered the words, a sudden rush of icy wind swirled around her, making her shiver. The nixie's eyes went round, and she covered her mouth with her hands as a strange, otherworldly hum filled the air.

Elowen tried to back away. "What... What is happening?"

But it was too late. Tree trunks crowded close behind her, barring any thoughts of running. The scent of lightning and something darker, more ancient, permeated the atmosphere. Silver-blue wisps of magic entwined around Elowen's wrist, coiling like ethereal serpents—or silken bonds.

The mystical energy pulsed and shimmered, as if alive and deliberate. Elowen gasped as the skin on her hand puckered and curled. An ogham rune—three straight stripes crossed by a fourth—seared into her skin. Black as a brand, it sank into her flesh, settling in dark lines on her wrist.

"What did you do that for, you stupid girl?" The nixie stamped her foot as the fae wind whirled away and the tree trunks parted. "Now you have to get the moonstone, or Mab's contract will suck the very life from your bones."

The bottom of Elowen's stomach dropped out and her breath ran short. "I didn't know..."

"That's no excuse." The nixie glared at her. "And if you die, who do you think Lord Thalion will blame? But neither of us have a choice now." She flitted to the stream, undulating between the moondrop flowers, and returned with a small white stone. Her finger traced a rune on its surface, painting the sigil in wavey blue lines. "This is your trail-finder, your luminstone. It will open a path for you to the heart of the forest. If you survive, and if old man Orinthas finds you worthy, he'll give you a moonstone. Bring it back here and pay your debt before the sun sets tomorrow if you wish to live."

The nixie crossed her watery arms, silver eyes narrowing. One step at a time, Elowen retreated from the enchanted place, until the trunks of the trees closed away the mesmerizing sight of the giant bed in the fairy glade.

She stared at the white stone in her hand and the black mark on her wrist. A second pact with a fairy. She'd promised her father. And now she was bound to go to some forest or die. Tears burned in her eyes and a sob tore free from her chest.

I can't do this...

She slid the pendant over her head and kissed it. Thalion. She had to return to Thalion.

Chapter Four: A Desperate Choice

Elowen raced back through the forest, the glowing pendant a guiding light in her hand. Dark shadows reached for her now, the last of the sunlight long gone and night crowding close.

She burst through a vine, gluey plant sap clinging to her. Tears brimmed over and ran down her cheeks, cold trails of terror in the night. The moondrop flower caught on a branch and she left it, along with a hunk of her hair, dangling from the sticky vines. She tripped and fell, tearing her dress on a sharp briar patch, but she scrambled on, following the pendant home.

Sobbing, she stumbled into the camp.

Thalion grabbed her, his fingers hard on her shoulders. "Elowen! Where have you been?"

She cried into his tunic, wrapping her arms around his chest.

"Shhh." He rubbed slow circles on her back. "You're safe now."

His deep voice rumbled in her ear and the tight bands across her chest relaxed an inch or two, allowing her to speak. Words spilled from her, hesitantly at first, then faster, the entire story of the glade and the moondrops and the contract.

Thalion's face grew stern, and he pushed her away from him. Grabbing her wrist, he traced over the puckered skin that shaped the black rune. "When I said take nothing, what did you think I meant?"

"I..." She sniffed, fear shivering through her, pins and needles tingling against her flesh. "I... forgot."

"Well, your forgetting has just cost a nixie her life." He turned away from her and called for the guard to arm.

Elowen grabbed his arm. "No, wait. Why? I don't understand."

"No, you don't." He swung back, his starlit eyes narrow and hard. "And because you don't, you took what didn't belong to you. The nixie thought she could trick you into bed by offering the impossible choice to enter The Darkling Forest. But since you had no idea what that was, you agreed to her terms in her place of power, forging a magical contract under Queen Mab's laws. Now there are only two ways forward. You die in The Darkling Forest, or I kill the nixie and void the contract with her blood."

Elowen gasped and staggered back, her hand covering her mouth. "Kill..."

"Yes, you foolish girl." His mouth twisted. "It is the nixie's misfortune to live in a free stretch of woods. With no sidhe lord to protect her, we have at least that path out of this conundrum. If I kill her in her seat of her power, I can break her magic and wash that rune from your wrist."

"But..." Elowen swallowed, her hand closing on the smooth white stone from the enchanted glade's stream. "Can't we go to The Darkling Forest?" Her gaze flickered to the waystone with its ogham runes.

"No!" He crowded her, pushing her until her back struck a tree. "We can't do anything. You. You can go into The Darkling Forest because you have the luminstone. The trunks will only part for you. The rune binds it to you." His fist smashed into the bark just above her head. "And you have no means of protecting yourself from the wraiths that live there."

Elowen shut her eyes, tears leaking from under her lids. "Oh..."

"Yes." He turned away, his booted steps crushing twigs and moss underfoot.

12