A Night in the Life

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

After their second round of drinks, bought by a pair of boys -- well, at least Claire couldn't help but think of them as such -- Judy disappeared toward the back of the bar with the one who had most caught her fancy, leaving her with the other.

'My God, she can't be going to do what I think she is,' Claire thought, remembering Judy's old predilection for sucking off guys in the back of her car. 'That kid looked like he's still in high school.'

"I'm sure they'll be right back," Claire commented as a way to dismiss her suspicion.

"Not if Ryan's lucky." The remaining young man smiled knowingly, leading Claire to wonder if, not only did he know where they had gone, but he had been there himself.

"Can I buy you another drink?" asked the young man who, despite the age on the driver's license he'd shown the bartender, she suspected was under twenty-one, asked.

"No, I'm good," Claire replied, wondering if he was trying to get her drunk enough that she might be willing to follow Judy's lead. If so, he was going to be deeply disappointed.

Yet, only a few minutes later, another drink suddenly appeared in front of here, placed there by the bartender. It didn't take much to realize that he had been asked to keep them coming.

"I think I've had enough," Claire said, sliding the drink back toward the back edge of the bar top. "In fact, I think I'm going to call it an early night."

"Are you sure?" asked the boy, whose name she finally remembered was Alex asked, disappointment filling his face.

"I'm afraid so," Claire replied. "I'm afraid it's been a long day and I'm not as young as I used to be."

The last comment was a bit over the top, she knew, but she felt compelled to draw attention to the difference in their ages.

"Would you like me to see you home?" Alex asked, giving Claire the impression he was hoping for a change of heart once they were there.

"That won't be necessary," she smiled.

"Oh, okay," Alex said, finally admitting defeat. "Perhaps another time?"

'Not likely,' Claire thought but didn't say, merely nodding her head in acknowledgement rather than commitment.

Forcing a smile, Alex moved away and, out of curiosity, Clare followed him with her eyes as he moved down to the other end of the bar.

In no time at all, he had stuck up a conversation with a girl who had been standing there.

'Good luck, Alex,' Claire smiled, hoping the young man still had a good night.

'It's a pity he wasn't a bit older,' Claire added to herself, thinking that while it might have been nice to end her extended celibacy, that wasn't a road she was willing to go down.

Yet, from what she'd seen of the more age appropriate patrons as she continued to search for Judy, that selection held just as little appeal. It was fairly obvious that most of them were single for a reason. No, she wouldn't be getting laid tonight, she decided.

Checking the time on her phone, Claire debated how long she should wait for Judy to come back. Ten more minutes was the answer, thinking that was more than enough time. And the only reason Claire was willing to wait that long was that she didn't want Judy to come back and, finding her gone, mistakenly assume that she'd taken off with Alex somewhere.

Ten minutes came and went, quickly turning into fifteen. Thinking to hell with what Judy might think, Claire finally gathered up her things from the bar, leaving the still half full club soda she had ordered after Alex left. She hadn't noticed until she tried to make her way to the front door, but the crowd looked to have nearly doubled since she'd first arrived.

Not making much in the way of progress as she tried to push her way through the throng, Claire considered that heading out the back might not be a better option. Only to have her train of thought interrupted by someone calling her name.

Pausing, she turned in the direction the decidedly male voice had come from. As the crowd was pushed aside by a tall, powerfully built figure, Claire suddenly had an answer to a question she'd asked herself earlier -- namely, how could this night get any worse.

Now standing only a few feet in front of her stood the physical manifestation of worse. Ray Newman had been a halfback on their school's last championship team, and had gone on to play for State until a knee injury ended his career and the scholarship that had gone with it. If she ever cared to consider it, he would easily earn a place on her short list of people she hoped never to see again.

During his glory days in high school, it was said that the devilishly handsome crew cut blond had slept his way though half the girls in both the senior and junior class. Well, at least the more desirable half, which, much to her later regret, had included the former Claire Mahoney.

"God damn, it is you," Ray said as he closed the short distance, making an attempt to kiss her hello as he did -- winding up with only her cheek as Claire shifted just in time.

"Hello, Ray," Claire said as unenthusiastically as she could.

"I heard you were back," Ray said, totally missing the message in her tone.

"Just for a while," she replied.

"I also heard your old man walked out on you," Ray said, demonstrating that he still hadn't developed a sense of tact.

"I'm afraid you heard that part wrong," Claire said, not willing to let Dave be degraded even if they were no longer together.

"Why don't you let me buy you a drink?" Ray said, continuing his standard spiel with no indication he had even heard a word she'd said.

"Thank you, but I was just on my way out," Claire said, attempting to side step him.

"Come on, one little drink, for old times' sake," Ray said, stepping again in front of her and blocking her exit with his bulk, adding, "I gotta say, you're still looking good."

"Old times weren't as good as you might remember," Claire said, having no doubt that Ray had more than a drink on his mind.

In his prime, the six foot two, two hundred and twenty pound jock might have had a body to die for, but in the end, he had proved, at least in Claire's opinion, an uninspiring fuck to say the least. It wasn't until she reached college and more experienced lovers that she came to understand that the best sex began in the mind, not between your legs. She now had little use for a man who did no more than climb on top of you and hammer away until he was satisfied, then lost interest even if you'd hadn't climaxed yet.

"You might want to think about what you might be missing," Ray said, proving he was still as crude as she remembered.

'I am,' Claire thought, but didn't say.

If she had, it probably wouldn't have made any difference anyway. Without doubt, Ray saw Claire as just another lonely divorcee desperately in need of male companionship. Just the sort of thing he excelled in providing -- at least in his own mind.

"Why don't we move back to the bar?" he said, wrapping his broad arm around her shoulder.

"I don't think so," Claire said, pushing his arm off her and once more trying to step past him, only to again being blocked by the crowd between her and the door. "I think it's time I was heading home."

"Just one drink," Ray said, his tone insistent.

Claire was about to repeat her reply a bit more forcibly when another voice beat her to it. A voice unmistakably female and also familiar.

"I distinctly heard the lady say she was done for the evening," said the voice from behind.

Both Claire and Ray turned, just in time to see a young woman emerging from the crowd that had blocked the way to the front entrance. Dressed in black jeans, a matching low cut top and a short tan leather jacket, Adrianna was making a beeline for the woman she'd only met this morning.

"Why don't you mind your own business!," Ray quickly said, not appreciating the intrusion.

"This is my business," Adrianna said, stepping between Ray and Claire. "The lady is a friend of mine."

Despite the absurdity of her describing Claire as a friend after having only shared an ever so brief exchange, the older woman nevertheless felt a sense of pleasure at her having done so. It was, however, quickly superseded by the fear that she didn't know what she was getting into and the possibility that Ray might even do her harm.

"Adrianna, don't...." Claire started to say.

"It's okay, Claire," Adrianna said, not a trace of concern in her voice. "This blowhard doesn't impress me in the least."

Almost unnoticed, most of the patrons around them had taken a few steps back, creating a wide clear space around Ray and the two women. Evidently, the former gridiron star was a familiar enough figure in the bar that the regulars had a good sense of what was coming next. It also said something that no one made any attempt to come to their defense.

None of which seemed to intimidate Adrianna in the least as she stood her ground between Claire and Ray. The situation only needed a spark to set it off, and that came in the form of a mocking comment about the ex-jock's manhood from somewhere in the crowd. It proved enough to push him over the edge as he suddenly surged toward Adrianna with malice in his eyes.

His arm extended as if he was still on the playing field, Ray intended to hit the interloper with just enough force to knock her on her ass. An action that, in the few seconds he had taken to consider it, would serve the dual purpose of teaching her to mind her own business and more importantly, show Claire that he was still 'Iron Man' Newman, a hero on and off the field.

Yet, even with Ray charging at her like a mad bull, Adrianna didn't move, not until the last possible moment when, in a blur of motion, she stepped out of his path and, grabbing his arm, redirected the direction of his assault. Using his unchecked momentum and weight against him, she caused him to hurtle forward out of control, crashing to the floor with enough force to leave him momentarily stunned.

"Come on, let's get out of here," Adrianna called out to Claire, who was standing there too astonished to move.

She grabbed the blonde's hand and pulled her toward the entranceway before any of the onlookers could think to impede their departure. Those few that did react, however, did so to get out of their way, clearing a path out into the street,

-=-=-=-

"Oh my God, that was incredible!" Claire finally said once they reached the next block and finally stopped running. "How ... how did you do that?"

"Not all of the Rossis spent their lives cutting hair," Adrianna grinned as she looked back down the street to be sure no one had followed after them, "at least not all of it. My dad enlisted in the Marines after high school and spent twenty years in the Corps, retiring as a Staff Sergeant. He made it a point to teach both my brothers and me self defense when we were growing up."

"Then I have to say he taught you well," was all Claire could think to reply.

"He also taught me that there was a time to cut and run," Adrianna added with a further grin, taking a final glance behind them.

Claire smiled as well, until a concerning thought came to her.

"If Ray is still anything like I remember, and I didn't see anything back there to suggest he isn't," she said, "he's going to be looking for you the next time you go to Starlight."

"He can look all he wants," Adrianna laughed, "that's the first time I was ever in the place and undoubtedly the last. I was just dropping something off to an ex of mine; she's one of the bartenders. Starlight really isn't my kind of place. In case you've forgotten, guys aren't my thing."

Claire again smiled. She hadn't forgotten, but until this moment hadn't been sure that Adrianna was totally into women or just versatile.

"But even though I never set eyes on Ray prior to ten minutes ago, I know his type," Adrianna pointed out. "He's already offering a half dozen explanations as to what happened back there. None of which include a girl half his size putting him on his ass."

"That's probably true," Claire agreed once she thought about it.

"Do you mind my asking what you were doing there?" Adrianna asked, her curiosity sparked. "I know we just met, but it doesn't exactly seem like your kind of place either."

Claire took a minute to explain about Judy and how she'd been practically shanghaied into going out for drinks. She left out the part about her friend's intent to get her laid.

"Shouldn't you let your friend know you're okay?" Adrianna asked. "I'm sure she must be worried about you."

"You're right, I should," Claire agreed, taking out her phone and sending her a quick text.

A long moment passed, then a loud chime signaled a reply.

"Un-fucking-believable!" Claire said in surprise as she read the text.

"Something wrong?" Adrianna asked, both curious and concerned.

"Judy isn't even at the bar," Claire explained. "She took that kid, Ryan, home with her. She says that she just assumed that I would be doing the same with Alex."

"Really?" Adrianna asked, making the assumption that Alex was someone this Judy had set Claire up with, providing the missing piece of why Claire had been at Starlight.

Claire caught the expression on Adrianna's face and, seeing that she had come to the right conclusion, felt a bit embarrassed.

"Okay, yes, I was looking to maybe get laid," Claire admitted.

"Hey, nothing wrong with that," Adrianna offered. "Been there myself a few times. Maybe even more than a few," she added with a mischievous grin.

Common ground established, Claire felt less uncomfortable.

"Seeing that your friend is now otherwise occupied, do you need a ride home?" Adrianna asked as she changed the subject

"That's very generous of you," Claire replied, certain that Adrianna must have other plans for the evening, "but I'm sure you have better things to do."

"Well, I was going to meet some friends and go dancing," Adrianna replied, "but that's not until ten, so I have plenty of time."

Claire thought about it for a long minute, and then had a better thought.

"You know, I at least owe you that drink you suggested this morning, that is, if you don't mind coffee," she said. "I think I've already had enough of anything else tonight."

"Coffee sounds great," Adrianna replied with a smile.

-=-=-=-

Rather than go to the local Starbucks, Adrianna suggested a small specialty café up by Prospect Park, only a ten minute ride away. Claire didn't understand why the brunette had said ride instead of drive, at least not until they walked another block and she saw that Adrianna's preferred mode of transport only had two wheels.

"I'm taking it you've never ridden bitch," Adrianna said as she noticed the look on the other woman's face.

"I've never even ridden on the back of a bicycle, much less anything like that," Claire replied, feeling intimidated by the powerful looking machine.

"Trust me, you're going to love it," Adrianna said as she removed a second helmet from the motorcycle's storage compartment and handed it to her. "Just climb on behind me and hold on tight."

Securing the helmet on her head, Claire slid onto the bike and wrapped her arms around the woman in front. After a glance backward to be sure her passenger was secure, Adrianna sparked the engine to life and with a load roar, turned out into the street.

The ride was short but terrifying as, with considerable skill, Adrianna guided the bike around cars stuck in slow moving traffic. Yet, even as she feared for her life, Claire also felt a recurrent sense of exhilaration as the intense vibrations between her legs recalled childhood memories of sitting on the washing machine during the spin cycle. The pulse of the bike felt a dozen times more intense.

-=-=-=-

The café turned out to be smaller than Claire expected, and with no spaces at any of the half dozen tiny tables, she expected that they'd have to wait a while to be seated. But Adrianna caught the attention of the buxom redhead behind the counter and before you knew it, she was out on the floor and leading the two of them to an empty private booth separated from the rest of the shop by a curtain.

"You must be her favorite customer to get service like that," Claire remarked after the woman had taken their order and disappeared back through the curtain.

"We've gone out a few times," Adrianna simply said, as if no more explanation were needed.

When the woman returned a few minutes later with their drinks, Claire found herself paying a bit more attention to her than she might ordinarily have. A few inches shorter than Adrianna, she had a stocky build with any extra pounds in all the right places. Pretty, with a natural look that didn't require cosmetics, it would surprise Claire to know she was closer to forty than the thirty she initially took her to be.

Absorbed in taking stock of the store owner, Claire almost didn't notice that she, in turn, had been doing the same of her. It was only when the woman, who Adrianna had referred to as Mary, gave her an approving smile before again leaving that Claire realized that she had been judged and approved.

"She thinks we're on a date," Adrianna said, in case Claire had missed it. "If that bothers you, I'll set her straight."

"It doesn't bother me at all,," Claire said, talking a slip of coffee. "This is really good, by the way."

"I know, that's why it was worth the trip up here," Adrianna agreed as she sampled her own.

Over the well brewed coffee and a plate of complimentary scones that Mary had brought back to them, the two women had learned a great deal about each other.

As Claire had supposed before, Adrianna was indeed part of the Rossi family, but much more than just another barber. In addition to having been taught her craft by her uncles, earning her certificate as early as she was legally able to, the twenty-two year old had also attended NYU, where she had earned a bachelor's degree in business administration. For the last year, she had been gradually taking over the day to day operations of the family business from the senior uncle, not only at the store Claire was familiar with, but with at second shop they had opened in Sunset Park a few years back. The architect found herself suitably impressed.

On the more personal side, Adrianna shared that she'd come to realize that she was attracted to girls during her last year of Catholic grade school. A realization she'd bravely shared with her parents who, much to her surprise, took the news far better than she'd dared hope. They went so far as to break a long standing family tradition, and rather than enroll her at Bishop Ryan, sent her instead to a more progressive secular high school. It was there that she'd met her first real girlfriend, with whom she traded virginities shortly after her fourteenth birthday.

Taken with Adrianna's openness, Claire found herself sharing not only the story of her marriage, but her own bisexual background.

"Oh really," Adrianna said, a small smile at the corner of her mouth signifying her pleasure in finding that her intuition had been on target after all.

"And you just gave up on girls when you graduated?" she asked. "just like that?"

"Pretty much so."

"Do you mind if I ask a personal question?" Adrianna said.

"Sure, go right ahead," Claire replied, wondering what could be more personal than they'd been sharing.

"How many girls did you date in school?"

"By date, do you mean slept with?" Claire asked.

The expression on Adrianna's face said that was exactly what she meant but didn't want to ask so directly.

A look of concentration filled Claire's face as she reached back in memory to call forth faces from long ago. Surprisingly, they came easier than she'd expected. Not only those she'd ever so briefly dated, but also those with which she'd only shared an even briefer physical encounter. That there had been more of the latter than the former was an even greater surprise.