A Paladin's War Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The dark man's eyes flashed behind his mask, but he drew his retinue of women aside as the cloaked man came on. That shadowed cowl never turned from Sara's direction, as if she were the only thing that mattered. Now that he was closer, her skin pebbled as if icy fingers were brushing her neck.

Lady Elhorn appeared lost for words momentarily, but recovered quickly. "I- I have three thousand, now! Does anyone match three thousand marks?"

Sara's breath had frozen in her throat the moment the cloaked man spoke. She waited like that, hanging on tenterhooks. More by the moment, she was sure this man was at the heart of her purpose in Cartuga. Aros, why can't you just tell me what to do instead of making me figure it out myself? But that was not how gods worked.

Nobody matched the bid, and Sara had the feeling it was as much for the exorbitant sum as for the man who'd made it. Elhorn finalised matters, quickly calling three times for a raise before declaring the auction closed.

Sara stared down into the dark void of that cowl, this time under no illusions she was hearing soft, dark laughter. She got the impression the man was smiling as he crooked a pale finger, ready to claim his prize.

***

END OF CHAPTER SEVEN

***