A Paladin's War Ch. 08

Story Info
A new chief.
12k words
4.86
6.1k
12

Part 8 of the 14 part series

Updated 12/07/2023
Created 07/25/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Antidarius
Antidarius
1,059 Followers

© Antidarius 2021

Aran stared up at the timber beams above the bed where he lay. They looked like spokes on a wagon wheel, all pointing to the centre of the circular house's ceiling. There was a hole in the dense thatch there, where the beams met, to let out the smoke from the fire pit directly beneath. When rain came, the hole could be covered by a canvas flap attached to a nearby dangling rope. Simple, but effective. It was early morning, judging by the ring of sky visible through the hole.

Fingers laced across his chest, Aran wondered if he would be spending yet another day in bed. If Evoni and Masha had anything to say about it, he likely would. Not that he had not found ways to enjoy himself, even injured as he was. Evoni was always happy to make sure of that, and there was a slim, pretty Orc - she often came to tidy the hut - that had ended up in the bed with he and Evoni on more than one occasion.

Still, he should have been up and about by now. Why his hurts taken in the visions had not healed as they should, he did not know. When asked, Masha simply said that things worked differently under the effects of gar'ji.

Frustratingly, these lingering effects had also prevented him from accessing amathani, which meant he had no clue what was happening elsewhere in the world, nor how his friends were faring. Elaina. Whatever was suppressing his vala was also hindering his ability to sense his meldin, with the exception of Evoni; he could still feel her presence inside him. It was a little lonely, with only melda in his head, as if there was a vacuum of empty space.

Sighing, he sat up with only minor difficulty - a marked improvement over recent days - and swung his feet off the bed, planting them on the floor. He flexed his toes on the woven mat there while slowly working his left shoulder. It was still stiff, but looser today than it had been. With luck, he would regain full movement soon.

At that moment, the cloth flap hanging across the hut's only entrance was pushed aside, and Evoni strode in. She smiled at him first, but then her expression darkened. "You should not be sitting up!" she chided in her thick, Oron'noroth accent. A foot taller than he and strikingly beautiful, with shimmering cobalt hair and skin of creamy granite that sparkled in sunlight - not that it felt like granite to touch; more like the softest silk - she folded her arms beneath a resplendent pair of breasts and frowned at him.

"I'm just restless," he assured her as he kept working his shoulder. "I wasn't going to leave, I swear." Evoni made a noise that could have meant anything. Aran nodded to the patterns painted on her bare skin. They hadn't been there, yesterday. "I see the Orcs have embraced you. I am glad." It was true; he was glad for her. She'd been fascinated by the Orcs, wanting to know everything about them almost from the moment they'd arrived in Sen'dara. For them to adorn her with their paints meant she was one of them, now. And if him bringing it up meant the subject digressed from him trying to get out of bed, well, all the better.

It worked. Evoni was suddenly beaming with excitement. "Most of them have accepted me, finally. And Masha says I can become a healer!" She sat on the bed next to him. "She says I have the gift, whatever that means."

Aran smiled back at her, genuinely glad. "That is wonderful, my love. I am happy for you." He put a hand on her knee and squeezed gently. "So, then what is worrying you?" Beneath her happiness, he could sense there was more.

"I do not think we will be here long enough for me to learn Masha's ways," Evoni said, her brightness diminishing somewhat. "As soon as you are well, we will be leaving, will we not?"

Aran nodded, sharing her regret. "Yes, but do not despair just yet."

She met his gaze for a long moment, her eyes large, deep and enchanting, like two mountain pools, shimmering blue-black. "Of what do you speak?" she asked him softly. Then her brow drew down slightly, crinkling the skin between her eyes. "What are you planning, Aran Sunblade?"

"I'm not sure yet," he told her truthfully. "But spending another day in bed will not help me to find out. Will you help me? I need some air." As much as it grated at him, he did not trust his legs to carry him around yet.

"I will," she said at once, taking his right arm and putting it over her shoulders. She rose easily, as if his weight was nothing at all. It was probably true; Oron'noroth were the strongest of all the Giants. She held him upright while he pulled on his breeches and boots. He didn't bother with a shirt; the weather was warm, and Orcs were not concerned with coverings, unless it was for battle or ritual, and even then, they were minimalistic.

Evoni asked him again what he was planning, but truthfully, he had no answer for her, yet. All the bed rest had given him much time to think, however. Time is the problem, he thought grimly as she helped him from the hut and out into the morning sun. The hard-packed dirt streets of Sen'dar were not precisely bustling, but there were some Orcs in sight, going about their business.

This part of Sen'dara seemed to be for living, with clusters of smaller dwellings similar to his own accommodations everywhere he looked. Orc children dashed about, laughing and playing in the street. They seemed to favour rough games with lots of tackling and wrestling and rolling in the dust. He smiled as he watched them play. They don't know what's coming. They don't need to, either. Not yet. Hopefully there is still some time.

His legs firmed up some as Evoni half-carried him along, and he was even able to take most of his own weight after a few minutes. "There, you see?" He said to her as they left the house huts and moved onto a broader avenue. "All I needed was some fresh air and a walk."

Evoni eyed him sideways, but her lips quirked. "You are ever the optimist, my love. I am glad you feel better."

"I could fight a whole band of Trolls," Aran told her. "With my bare hands."

"I believe you could," she replied far too smoothly.

"Well, maybe not a whole band," Aran confessed, trying to get a reaction out of her. "But two or three, no doubt."

Evoni didn't appear to hear his attempt to make her laugh. She was looking at something up ahead, concern painting her features. She stopped, forcing him to do the same. "Aran, look."

His eyes followed her gaze up the avenue, to where a large collection of Orcs was approaching, a mix of males and females who carried themselves like warriors, hung about with instruments of death. Axes, hammers and spears and more. Hard faces above huge, tough bodies, scarred from years of fighting.

"I wonder what they want," he mused as the group closed in. All other Orcs on the avenue parted around the warriors, pressing themselves to the sides of the street or finding somewhere else to be entirely.

"Masha said this might happen," Evoni whispered.

Aran turned to her. "What might?"

"Reikar. He's the one in the middle."

Aran noted the biggest of the oncoming Orcs leading the pack, a hulking brute a foot taller than Evoni, forest-green skin painted in sharp, angular runes of a shade that resembled dried blood. Going by his grim face, it might very well be blood. His black hair was long and banded in two thick cords that hung down over his massive chest, almost to his waist. There was a huge hammer strapped to his back, the hilt sticking up over his shoulder, the flat head and the spike visible on either side of his torso. Aran thought it might weigh as much as himself.

"He's claimed leadership over Sen'dar," Evoni went on hurriedly. "Against Masha's guidance."

That was interesting; Aran had learned much of the Ash'goth while bedridden, and the Orcs here seemed to pride themselves on the fact they needed no leader. Even Masha was really only a guide, or seer. They all respected her, but she did not give orders. The Ash'goth worked together to achieve common goals for the good of their people. From what he'd heard, the system had worked well, at least until now.

"He doesn't want us here, but hasn't openly done anything about it yet," Evoni continued. Reikar and his retinue were only thirty paces away, now.

So, this was why I felt so compelled to get out of bed today. At least my vala is working that much. Gently removing Evoni's hand from his waist, Aran unhooked his arm from around her shoulder and stood on his own to face them. When Evoni protested, he hushed her gently. "It's alright. I can manage." Nervousness spiked in her, slashed with fear. He gave her hand a squeeze for reassurance, but the flitting, tremulous sense remained.

Instinctively, he tried to access his vala, but found nothing beyond a whisper of a sense that it was there at all. Strangely, this did not scare him as it once would have. Instead of fear there was merely... nothing, a peaceful emptiness. The outcome of this meeting would be what it was, and that's all there was to it.

Reikar stopped ten paces away. "You," he boomed in a voice like crumbling rocks as he pointed at Aran and then Evoni. "Have been in Sen'dar long enough. Leave, or you will be removed."

Aran blinked at the Orc's abruptness. Once, such a thing would have frustrated him, even angered him, but now... "Forgive me," he said politely. "I was unconscious for many days and under the Masha's care. I am Aran Sunblade." He bowed respectfully.

Some of the Orcs behind Reikar scoffed, others grunted. Reikar sneered. "You bring ill times with you, Human, as well as her." His head jerked in Evoni's direction, though he didn't look at her directly. "The runes on her skin are for Orcs only. She is an affront to any who are true Ash'goth! The only reason you are not dead is because of Masha's insistence you both be spared."

Evoni shifted uneasily and covered herself with her arms. Aran's calm wavered a little at seeing her this way. His desire to protect her was strong. He racked his brain for a solution to Reikar; he needed the Orcs - preferably all of them - but in his current state, he could not overpower even one of them, if it came to blows. Taking a deep breath, he relaxed. Trust yourself, a small voice said inside him.

"We do not abide weakness," Reikar went on to approving mutters from his band of followers. "And you reek of it, Human, as does the Norothi. The Ash'goth must be strong and whole." The noises of approval got louder. Orcs were beginning to gather in a ring around the confrontation, though none got too close.

Evoni looked at Aran, fear and uncertainty in her eyes. "I was brought here," Aran told Reikar calmly, "By your warriors, great Chief. I am sorry if I have offended."

"Your apologies mean nothing," Reikar retorted, flexing thick fingers at his sides. "If I must, I will revoke my agreement with Masha and kill you. The choice is yours." The look in his eyes said he wanted nothing more.

"I was asleep for nine days," Aran explained. "In the gar'ji dreams, else I would have paid my respects, Chief, and my recovery has taken yet more time."

A few of the Orcs behind the chief glanced at one another, eyebrows raised. Just for a second, but he noticed it.

"That is of no consequence," the Chief said firmly. Had that been a flicker of doubt in his eyes?

"Is there no way to handle this peacefully?" Aran asked, already knowing the answer. "I have seen enough death for ten lifetimes, Chief. A respite would be nice before the war begins." If Reikar really had seized power, then he didn't deserve the title, but Aran used it in the hope of appeasing him.

"War?" Reikar sneered. "What do you know of war, Human?"

"I know it comes," he replied. "You have seen the storms, felt the tremors. Soon it will be upon us." More Orcs around Reikar exchanged looks. Aran would give a great deal to know what they were thinking.

"You tell me nothing I do not already know, Human." Grinning darkly, he reached up to grasp the hilt of his hammer. "I see in your eyes you have made your choice. Very well." Before he could draw the weapon free, the female next to him put a hand on his shoulder and whispered something in his ear. Whatever she said made him bark a mirthless laugh. "Ha! Yes, that will suffice, Hegra. You wish to stay among us, Paladin? You will perform the Rite!"

Murmurs rippled through the onlookers. Evoni's hand tightened at his waist, but Aran ignored it. "And what rite must I perform?"

"Rite of combat!" Reikar declared. Some of his warriors grinned eagerly, while others did not look so sure, for some reason.

"Gerrik! Step forward!" An Orc on the Chief's left took a step. The second biggest after Reikar, he had a mean glare and a massive double-bladed axe on his back.

"Survive two minutes against Gerrik," the Chief went on. "Or defeat him!" That got a laugh from some of his retinue. "And you will have permission to stay in Sen'dar as long as you want."

Evoni took a deep breath and looked fearfully at Aran. Meeting her gaze, he smiled and shook his head, telling her not to worry. Gently pulling her hand away from his waist, he unhooked his arm from around her shoulders and stood on his own. No more tests. I have had enough of bloody tests.

Summoning every inch of strength he had, he stepped forward. It was more a shuffle, really, but forward was forward. Gerrik watched him as he approached, much the way a bear would watch a wounded mouse wandering into its den. Aros, I need the vala. I know you have not taken it from me. Show me to it. Gerrik raised a thick eyebrow when Aran made to pass right by him.

"Stop," he rumbled, putting a hand out to block Aran's path. "What do you think you're doing, Human?"

"I have endured enough pain, Orc," he said softly, turning his gaze up to Gerrik's face. "I will not suffer you. Step back." He was quiet calm on the outside. Inside, he was a mountain, looming tall and quiet, but ready to collapse on any who kept him from what needed to be done, vala or no.

No time, but I need them. Yes, he needed the Orcs, but they would need to come on his terms. He would not meet theirs. No time. Nine days wasted.

The big Orc looked down at him for a moment, then nodded and removed his hand before stepping back. A light of respect entered his dark eyes.

"Gerrik!" the chief roared in anger, but Gerrik held his place as Aran came on.

Stopping before the chief, Aran spoke. "I refuse." Offering nothing more, he held the Chief's glare until the Orc dropped his eyes. In the streets of Sen'dar, you could have heard a pin drop. "We must talk, Chief," Aran finally said, making sure to keep respect in his voice. There was no need to undermine the man.

"Yes," Reikar said slowly. "I think that is wise. Come."

At that, he turned and led his retinue away, not waiting for Aran, whose legs chose that very moment to give out. If not for Evoni appearing at his side right then, he would have fallen into the dirt. Not the best appearance for a man who just stared down the chief of the Ash'goth.

Evoni helped him along as they followed, leaving behind a cluster of whispering Orcs in the avenue. "You must be mad," she hissed as she all but carried him. "Any one of them could have knocked you down with a finger! Did that smoke addle your brain?"

Aran grinned. "Probably. It worked though, didn't it?"

"That remains to be seen," she replied, keeping her voice low. "We may not survive the day, yet."

"I think we'll be alright," he assured her. "Orcs generally don't kill you after they've invited you in for tea."

"They might just make an exception for you," she muttered, though she sounded somewhat mollified.

"I've figured him out," he added after a moment. "Reikar. He just wants what's good for his people."

Evoni shot him a strange look. "And how can you know that? Are your powers coming back?"

Aran shook his head. "No, but I just know."

A half-hour later saw them approaching a large, domed house that had to belong to Reikar. Somewhat bigger than the others around it, the low, spiked structure lay at the end of a street like a huge, spiny turtle. Reikar and his retinue entered, leaving two burly Orcs on either side of the doorway, weapons slanted across chests. The guards let Aran and Evoni through into a large, single room much like the one Aran had been staying in, but ten times the size.

Reikar and the others were off on the right side of the room, unlimbering weapons and hanging them on a stout rack there, or leaving them on the floor nearby. They disrobed, too, baring themselves completely now they were at ease, and then took places on the furs around the fire pit, sitting in a circle. They left a space for Aran and Evoni, directly across the fire from Reikar, who sat cross-legged and gestured with a broad hand for them to sit.

Aran managed to shimmy out of his breeches before sitting down - though he had to lean heavily on Evoni to do it - and Evoni removed her skirt reluctantly before joining the circle with him.

The fire had been lit some time ago, the small pile of thick logs burning low but hot. Reikar's hard face regarded Aran through the smoke and shimmering haze of heat between them, his features seeming to warp and ripple.

"Forgive me," the chief said as soon as Aran was settled. "I have deceived you, Anarion. And you, shara." That last he directed at Evoni.

Aran tensed, and Evoni stared around wildly, looking for the ambush, but Reikar quickly held out a placating hand. "Be at ease, you will not be harmed. I speak of our meeting on the street. I deceived you; I am not claiming the title of Chief of the Ash'goth. Nor will I ever."

"You needed to see who I was," Aran said slowly as it all fell together in his mind. "Else you could not trust."

Reikar nodded. "A warrior is only as true as his actions when he is at his weakest, surrounded by stronger foes. I am glad you understand, Anarion. As for you, shara," he added for Evoni, "I have a debt to you." The hard planes of his face looked remorseful, perhaps more so for her than for Aran. She met his gaze for a long moment. Inside, she was a tangle of fear and anger, but hope and relief shone, too. Aran didn't know which would win out.

"There is no debt," she said finally. "You only mean to protect your people. I would have done the same."

Respectful nods came from the others in the circle as they heard Evoni's words. "My thanks, shara," Reikar said gratefully. "You display honour worthy of the Ash'goth. Our clan is stronger for having you." More nods from the other Orcs. After a moment, Reikar returned his attention to Aran. "There is much we must discuss, Anarion, if you will." When Aran nodded, eager to move things along, Reikar asked the Orc next to him to pour something called 'vash.' The statuesque female rose immediately, and Aran couldn't help but notice her firm, strong body, fit yet well-curved in the right places.

He thanked her when she returned a few moments later and put a large clay mug in his hand. Made for an Orc, the mug was far too large for him to hold comfortably, so he took a sip and rested it on the floor in front of him. The drink appeared to be some sort of spirit, strong yet flavoured with spices and herbs. Heat slid down his throat and into his belly, where it began to radiate outward pleasantly. Next to him, Evoni appeared to enjoy hers too; she met his eyes and smiled.

Once everyone had a mug and the Orc woman had settled back down, Reikar spoke. "The Masha has spoken of your arrival for some time, Anarion. We anticipated it, for we knew the End was coming."

Antidarius
Antidarius
1,059 Followers