A Paladin's War Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The journey back to the Dwarven camp was quick; the camp was easy to find, even without the vala. Once back out on the Sorral Plain, they turned east and saw the glow of hundreds of cook fires colouring the night sky. As they ran, she glanced at Henley worriedly; was he sensing what she was? Rage, hate, fear, all from the Dwarves a scant mile ahead. He looked back at her with a creased brow.

More battle horns sounded, and as they approached, the rhythmic thumping of drums echoed in the night. "They are ready for battle!" she called aloud. Henley just nodded grimly. They slid to a halt before the first ranks of drengr, their boots skidding along the ground. Elaina stared incredulously at the lines of Dwarves facing her, fully armoured and hard-faced. Before she could open her mouth to demand what was happening, Finya appeared, riding up from the back, the face beneath her helmet as hard as death.

"Finya!" Elaina called, hurrying up to her. "What is going on?"

Finya looked down at Elaina, her expression unchanging. "Burin is dead."

Elaina's heart lurched. No!

"How?" Henley asked, appearing at Elaina's side. He placed a comforting hand on her shoulder.

Hot tears welled in her eyes, and she sensed the same in Finya.

"He was found in his bed," the Dwarf replied, her voice flat. "With an Elvish blade in his heart."

***

END OF CHAPTER NINE

***