A Paladin's War Ch. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You can continue to fight," Amina told them both. "But the victor will have dominion over nought but dust and blood, of that I can be sure." When Elf and Dwarf shook hands, Elaina exhaled. Beside her, Henley did the same. "All will be well," the Priestess said with a smile as she contracted her vala, letting it shrink back to nothing more than a small light inside her. Just for a moment, Elaina detected fatigue in her, but it was gone in a heartbeat, making her wonder if she'd imagined it.

One by one, the Dwarves approached her and offered their apologies. She was only too happy to forgive them all. When Baelin brought up her standing agreement with Burin, she shook her head. "You are the best one to lead your people, Baelin," she told him kindly. "Though I do intend to honour the agreement I made with Burin. I will remain with your forces, yes?"

"I would like that very much, Elaina arohim," he returned graciously. Deep shame radiated from him, but it would pass with time.

"Go back to your people and grieve," she said, putting a comforting hand on his thick shoulder. "For soon, we will be moving again." The grey-bearded Captain-General nodded and made for his horse. Once he was mounted, his people gathered around him and they rode away.

Andil and Amina were exchanging quiet words nearby. It appeared they knew one another quite well, or had at some point in history. Beside her, Henley blew out his thick moustache. "I need a strong drink," he muttered.

"Me too," said Noah absently. His brown eyes were fixed on Amina. This was the first time he had seen her. The woman had that effect on people. Elaina cleared her throat loudly, making him start. He averted his eyes from the Priestess, then caught himself. "You almost got me there," he said with a grin. "I should know by know, really."

Elaina chuckled and pulled him into a hug. "I couldn't resist." Holding him felt good.

"What now?" he asked when she released him.

"Now," Amina began as she walked toward them, "we gather our forces and move north."

Noah bowed deeply. "It is a great honour, Priestess," he said smoothly - much more smoothly than he would have a week ago. He really was growing accustomed to this life. And quickly.

"Please stand," Amina said graciously, her eyes flicking between him and Elaina. "Meldin," she added after a moment. Noah grinned as if she'd given him a kiss.

"Priestess," Elaina began, wanting to confess her guilty heart, but Amina stopped her with a look.

"This was not your doing, Paladin," she said with all the authority of her station. "Know this and accept. Pride can blind us in many ways."

Elaina blinked. What did she mean by that? Frowning, she bowed, one hand on Shatter's hilt at her waist. "Yes. Thank you, Priestess."

Amina looked to Henley, her face set with purpose. "Paladin Smythe," she said formally. "Return to your people and bring them out to camp on the plain." Henley bowed and loped off to the south west, gone from sight in seconds. Amina always commanded obedience, but today she was a general preparing for war. "Lord Andil," she went on in a voice only slightly less commanding, "I would ask that you do the same with your people. It is time to mend wounds."

"I agree, Priestess," Andil replied with a smile. As he inclined his head, his lasselath began to shift, the red-gold bark on his body shrinking away, the vines writhing and unwinding until he was clothed as usual, mostly bare except for a few vines and some gold leaves affording his modesty. He rattled off some orders to Tarien in Elvish, and the captain dashed away, calling for his horse. "The Dwarves have shown humility. I have not seen that for some time, Aros'iel. You have done something very great today, I think." With a respectful nod for Elaina, he left, bound for his people.

Elaina watched Amina expectantly, waiting for orders. "It is good to see you, child," she said when it was just her, Elaina and Noah there, surrounded by two hundred yards of empty grassland. "We will reunite properly when there is time. For now, there is much to be done, and so little time. Now, tell me about this agreement you have with the Dwarves." Elaina gave her the information as quickly as she could while Amina listened, nodding now and then. "You have done well," the Priestess said when Elaina was finished. "You have forged a strong tie between the arohim and Dun'Arghol. The more this can be strengthened, the better." She went on to give some instruction, and Elaina hurried off at once to fulfil them.

Three hours later, what had once been about to become the bloodiest battlefield in living memory was now a lively mass gathering of three armies sprawled across the plain. Humans, Elves and Dwarves began to march north as one, the Dwarves making three long columns with space between for the Humans and Elves. At the head of the columns rode Amina, Elaina and Henley, with Baelin on one side and Andil on the other. It was almost too much too believe. Elaina found herself looking back over her shoulder now and then to make sure the army hadn't dispersed or begun fighting itself.

By mid-afternoon thick black storm clouds were building on the northern horizon, the first Elaina had seen in long weeks. It was only a matter of time, she thought grimly. Battle may have been avoided this day, but there was a war coming soon.

***

END OF CHAPTER 11

***