A Perfect Match

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Holy shit," he says. He sees it immediately. "She was following her. Well outside the realm of a coincidence."

"That kid is Amanda's biological son. He was conceived in the rape by the fuck nut who stabbed me. Marlene probably leveraged that against him. Midge and Graham are interviewing the other participants in the video, that's all I know."

"What's the goal? What's the charge?" he asks.

"Conspiracy to commit murder, and murder one. I know she killed Jacqueline Moore," I say, and Will doesn't look convinced.

"I ran the Marlene portion of this case down. She has no calls to them. No texts. No emails. No...fucking smoke signals. How do you charge with conspiracy with no communication?"

"We know the third party used burner phones..."

"...which we have no evidence she owned."

"She made another mistake besides getting seen following her in a different state. Every participant of the video that we know of, started to receive blocked, anonymous calls from a burner phone a few months before the murder. All of them, except Marlene," I say, and The Kaiser is intrigued.

"That'll never hold up," he says.

"Not alone, but with everything else, it could. I, at the very least, want her dragged through a courtroom. Have that on her back for the rest of her life," I say.

"Don't let a jury ever hear what you just said," he says, and I agree it would sound bad.

"I know," I say, and we're both waiting for the other to talk. "You heading out?"

"Yeah, just don't get your hopes up," he says, and I let him know I'm tempering my expectations.

-

Thursday - May 21, 2026

-Lauren Hill-

Chase and I have been so busy, we've barely seen each other all week. I haven't had a chance to have the discussion I've wanted to have with him. That I'm taking the job with the Secret Service. I'm not having a discussion of if I should, I'm letting him know I already said yes.

It's after ten at night when he comes home. I hear his keys land in the key bowl and his shoes getting kicked off at the door. He then enters the living room where I'm at the couch, waiting for him.

"How was your day, detective?" he says to me, and I smile. He knows how much I love hearing that.

"Good," I say, and I can tell he wants to correct me. The correct response is 'well'. So I've been told.

"You eat anything?" he asks, and I let him know I made a bowl of cereal. Hard to imagine we're adults. "That's not food, I got some chicken breasts I could grill up. You still hungry?"

"We need to talk," I say, and I can tell the way I said that alarmed him.

"About?" he asks.

"I'm not going to beat around the bush. I got a job offer," I say, and he's listening. "Not sure where yet, I have to go through a course, and if I get through, I could go to a lot of places."

"When?" he asks.

"Course starts in early June. So, less than two weeks," I say, and he walks toward me and sits on the couch. "I can't pass it up."

"So, the discussions we've had about moving in together, are just meaningless?" he asks. I despise loaded questions.

"That's a bullshit question Chase. It wasn't meaningless," I say.

"Up until the point it wasn't convenient," he says, and I want to punch him. I want to cock my fist back and drill it into his face.

"Chase, I love you, but fuck you," I say, and stand up from the couch to get some distance so I don't hit him. "I'm not going to pass up an opportunity like this, and I'm not going to be made the bad guy for taking the job."

Chase is debating his next words carefully. The room is quiet, before he finally thinks of something to say. "What job?"

"Electronic Crimes Task Force," I say, and he nods in understanding.

"That is a big deal," he says. At least he's trying to understand.

"You could come with me," I say, and he blinks.

"How? I work here, I don't have a job offer like that," he says.

"Chase, I know how uncomfortable it makes you when people say this, but it is the truth. Your last name is a fallback plan. You can do whatever you want to do, while most people have to do what they're offered."

"If I wasn't passionate about being a police officer, would I really still be one after getting shot and stabbed?" he asks.

"I'm not downplaying your commitment, but it's the truth. Most people would continue to be a cop, because they don't have any other avenue to pursue. I'm in that boat," I say, and Chase seems to get the point.

Chase stands up from the couch and walks across the room to me. He says nothing as he wraps me in a hug, and I slid my hands behind his back.

"I don't want to have a fight," Chase says, and I laugh into his shoulder. "But I'm also going to be realistic. When you go, we're over." He managed to say that without it sounding like an ultimatum. It was just the truth. If I leave, we're no longer a couple. We're still friends, we started that way, but nothing more.

"I love you. Please don't think I don't," I say, and he nods to let me know he knows, then says he loves me too.

I never wanted to admit it, but it always felt like Chase and I had an expiration date. We don't have the same priorities. Chase is ready for something more than I am willing to give him. I could have been there in a few years, maybe a few months if this opportunity hadn't dropped in my lap. We were born too different; Chase was born with the name Kramner, and I was born in a literal dumpster. Both of us are doing what no one expected us to do.

I think about motioning for breakup sex, but then I remember Marlene. Besides, we were over the second I started this conversation.

-

Thursday - May 21, 2026

-William Kaiser-

I asked for Kimberly and her lawyer - because I know she's brining him - to come down to the station to give a final statement regarding Marisa. I let her know Marisa is in custody for the murder and arson. I ask her to bring Jacob as well.

Kimberly and her crew arrive, and I have them in my usual office on the first floor and ask her my series of relevant questions to pad out the case against Marisa. It's already strong with the confession, but I enjoy the process of making it airtight. I don't enjoy having to tell her the most haunting part of this; that Marisa had Jacob light the match.

"Jacob...did it?" she asks.

"No, he didn't. He was under coercion," I stress, but she starts tearing up, and looking away from me. "It's not his fault."

"What kind of...fucking demon, makes a kid do that?" she asks, and I tell her I don't know.

"I'm going to give you a few numbers for some child psychologists. I already did the research, and some specialize in special needs," I say, and hand her the sheet of paper with the information she'll need.

"Do you need anything else detective?" the lawyer asks.

"Not for me, but..." I start, looking at Jacob who's playing a game on his mother's phone in the corner. "...I might be prying a little, overstepping my bounds here. Could you consider making Brent's visitation more lenient?"

"Where the hell did that come from?" she asks.

"I've seen my fair share of repeat offenders come and go here. I've never seen a parole officer impressed," I say, and she looks at Jacob, then back to me. "I'm not saying unfettered access, but he's not going to harm him. Brent is doing everything he can, so just send him the right message to reinforce that behavior. Show him he's not on a hamster wheel."

"You said Brent helped?" she asks, and I nod. I called Sergeant Ackerman and he agreed to walk past the door in handcuffs to put Marisa in the correct mindset. "Would you like to you see your daddy more?" Jacob was laser focused on the phone the entire time, just hearing about his dad pulled him away.

"I can see daddy more?" he asks in delight.

"You can," she says. She thanks me for solving the case, before taking her son and lawyer with her out the door.

-

Friday - May 29, 2026

-Sheryl House-

I'm so used to having a TDY fuck buddy, I am completely in the wilderness when the relationship doesn't end when the case does. We're so much in a relationship, we drive all the way to Illinois for something I never thought I'd attend. We're going to Julian's graduation. I'm going to meet my son.

We knew we weren't going to get the graduation on time, but we were going to the after party at Julian's apartment. His stepmother - she raised him from age eight - and his two siblings were going to be there. His father Cameron of course. His friends. And now the woman who wanted nothing to do with him twenty-two years ago.

Julian lives with three other students which includes his girlfriend in a decent apartment in Evanston, Illinois. Decent as in, from the outside, it doesn't make me nervous my son is living here.

We were told by Cameron to find street parking if we could, and if not, park behind the building. A small miracle occurs when we drive up, because a resident across the street departs, so we pull straight into their spot. I turn off the engine of the car and take a deep breath before looking at the building.

"I fucking hate you," I say to Shane, who laughs. He knows it's because he talked me into this.

"Too far to quit now," he says, and I agree. Way too far.

"Let's go," I say, checking the side mirror for traffic before I open the door and start walking across. I pull my phone out and call Cameron who says he'll be right down. Suddenly, it feels real. Realer than it had up until now.

"You okay?" Shane asks.

"I don't know," I say, pacing at the stairs leading up the building.

"It'll be okay," he says to reassure me. He's so much like Cameron it's obnoxious. So ready to be a dad. Shane got the official word from his lesbian best friend. First try. I hate perfectionists.

The door opens and I see Cameron who has barely aged come down the stairs. He doesn't miss a beat and hugs me, then gives Shane a firm handshake that Shane returns. Fucking grownups.

"This had to happen," I say, and Cameron laughs.

"He does know you're coming," Cameron says, and I feel my heart collapse into my stomach. "He seemed okay with it, more curious than angry."

"So, he was angry?" I ask.

"I'm not going to lie, yeah, a little. Twenty-two years Sheryl."

"I know, I did that to myself," I say. He gestured toward the door and Shane and I follow him inside and to the second floor. I can hear music coming from the apartment at the end of the hall. The door was left open with the deadbolt, and Cameron holds the door open for us.

There are twenty people in this modest apartment, but they're spaced enough that my instincts as a fire professional don't go haywire. I can see Shane is doing the same math in his head. I see a few little kids, older people, someone I recognize as Cameron's father, then finally Julian. He had changed from the gown but is still wearing the hat.

Julian looks more like me than Cameron. The same hair and eye color, facial proportions, and even body composition minus the boobs. He's even my height, and I'm not tall.

Julian is leaning against the counter in the kitchen with his arm wrapped around a young woman. She is all grins and flashing her left hand at every opportunity. Looks like his girlfriend got promoted. He's talking to one of his friends, and his eyes turn to see who just entered the apartment. His eyes find mine, and he knows who I am immediately.

"Hey babe, I'll be right back," he says, giving her a kiss then handing off his beer to her. "Sheryl?"

"Yeah," I say. He said exactly what I expected him to, and it still hurt. I shouldn't care, but it hurt. "Do you, want to talk?"

"Yes," he says, and walks toward the living room where a sliding glass door leads to a balcony. A guest was smoking, but Julian asks him to give us a moment, and he complies, closing the door behind him.

"Congratulations," I say, and he doesn't say anything. He's just contemplating. He wants to know what to do, but he can't figure it out. Does he scream at me? It's warranted. Does he simply let me into his life? I think what he wants more than anything is to just understand.

"When dad told me you were coming, I was pissed," he finally says. The first thing my son ever says to me. Could have been worse.

"I get that."

"I've been pissed at you for twenty-two years," he says.

"I was a different person back then. I wasn't ready," I say. No one is the same after twenty-two years. At least I hope they're not.

"And you continued to not be ready for two decades," he says. That verbal punch connected hard.

"I'm not stupid enough to ask for forgiveness, or that we carry on like I've been here the whole time. I was scared. The longer I waited, the more scared I got," I say, and he nods, seemingly accepting that.

"You failed," he says, and I agree I did. The worst failure of my entire life. "If I do the same to you, I'll fail as well."

"Thank you," I say, and I try my hardest to not cry. I can't help it, and I look away to lean on the balcony railing.

Cameron did a hell of a job. He did so much of it by himself until he met his wife. I know it wasn't easy, and he never asked me for anything. His son became one hell of a man. I'd take pride in him, if I had anything to do with it.

Julian invites me to the party, and like a grown up, introduces himself to Shane without prompting. More firm handshakes and adult introductions. Shane is driving, but I still don't fell like drinking, so give him permission. It's insane how fast he hits it off with Cameron and Julian. By the end of the night, they'll like him more than they like me. Not like I placed the bar very high.

-

Tuesday - July 21, 2026

-Chase Kramner-

I heard from Lauren she got through the NCIF just fine and was stationed out in the Washington D.C. field office. She'll do good out there, and we'll probably get some dinner or something when I visit my dad next time. We're not over in the traditional sense. We're both realists and know long distance doesn't work, yet neither of us are willing to let something go.

Since she left, I've had my focus on Marlene.

Midge and Officer Graham conducted the interviews and came back with a solid, albeit highly circumstantial case. It was enough to reopen the case, and it was assigned to Midge who began a full reinvestigation. She seems to be focusing on the fact Marlene is the only one in the video who didn't get a call from the anonymous person. That's the most I know before I was told to stop asking questions.

I guess Midge found something more, because I got a call today.

"I got news for you," Midge starts.

"Anything good?"

"Extradition order was sent out a week ago, couldn't tell you anything more until now," she says. They've already sent that out?

"Let me guess, she did a writ of habeas corpus?" I ask, expecting nothing to come from this.

"She did," she says, and I sigh. "And it was denied."

"What?" I ask.

"She's in custody and being escorted from North Carolina as we speak," she says, and I'm beyond shocked.

"What are the charges?" I ask.

"Right now, conspiracy to commit murder, murder, illegal surveillance, and extortion," she says, and I can't speak. "Her arraignment is scheduled this Friday."

"Who's her lawyer?" I ask.

"Calvin and Willard," she replies. Of course they are. The firm on retainer by every piece of shit in the city. She wanted someone local, and ruthless.

"She's not fucking around," I say, and Midge concurs. We say a few things regarding the case, and I hang up. I can't believe it.

After taking a moment to let it all sink in, I open my desk drawer and pull out the file from my desk. Amanda isn't alone in there anymore, but none of them hit the same way she did. I take her picture from the file and place it on my desk, then place the picture of her with her son next to it. I take the stapler on my desk and place it over the portion where Marlene was in her car following her.

I don't know why, but I call the Chief of Police on instinct. It reaches his secretary, who then patches me through.

"Afternoon Sergeant, how can I help you?" Chief Whitaker says.

"Hey sir, you remember last year when we had that conversation about keeping a file?" I ask, and he thinks for a moment.

"I do, as a matter of fact. How is your file looking?" he asks.

"What does it feel like, to get to take one out?" I ask, and he chuckles a little.

"Like heroin," he says, and I laugh. "You about to?"

"Looking possible. I don't know, I just...wanted to share that with someone who'd know what I was talking about," I say.

"I would only advice caution. That feeling goes away real quick if they get off," he says, and confirm I understand. "While I got you, any news on how Lauren Hill is doing in Washington?"

"I talked to her a few days ago. She's still learning the ropes, but she's transitioning well," I explain, and I can tell he wants to ask about my relationship with her, but he stops himself.

"Get back to work Sergeant."

"Yes sir." I say and put the phone down on the receiver.

I place Amanda's picture in the folder, but leave it open on my desk, and just look at her. As if I'm waiting for her to blink.

-

To be continued, outlining the next one already.

Thanks again to Rodolphe.

As I stated last time, you have any questions you want answered, I typically reply within a day. To get a faster response, just message me directly.

Feel free to leave a comment, logged in or not. The feedback really helps.

1...5678910