A Plea from One Author to Others

Story Info
How Might You Improve Your Writing.
1.8k words
2.67
754
2
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Fair Warning this is not for the Author who write strictly Smut. No, This Essay is for those who are attempting to write an actual story. And I will Try to keep My Personal Fetish's and Interests Aside for this How To. Oh, And I realized I've already Uploaded a How to Write but I feel this one is Better.

(Before You Begin) Obviously before you begin your story it goes with out saying it is best you choose not only on what your story is going to be about. But also, who your characters and the POV that you are going to going to go with for that story. Now I am not saying that you should not do Anthology Style of Stories, No All I am saying is even Anthology Style of Stories you should Stick to the Main Theme of the Story. Such as if your story is about a Mystery involving an Explosion of a Space Ship, that is what the focus of your story should be, even if you want to show case different View Points of Various Characters. In fact, after the CYOA (Choose Your Own Adventure) Style of books Anthology Style of Books are my Next Favorite kinds of stories.

(Introduction) For me Personally it is alright to add an Introduction in your story. However, there is a catch and that is The Longer your Introduction is the Less Likely that I will stick around. As I would Eventually get Bored and Click Off of your story. After all I want to your story and not your Life's Story. But on the opposite end I do enjoy reading what I could be expecting in your story, all be it not necessary but still nice.

(Story Descriptions) And now for the Story Descriptions I am just so tired of reading Descriptions like "Or do they?" and "Or is she?" and "The title says it all" and the like. As Feel all those Examples are so Lazy Uncreative and Unimaginative. The Next to be addressed is Obviously I do not want the Description to say one thing, and I end up reading something completely different in the story. So, in other words I do not like being Click Baited. What is in the Description should be what I should be getting in the story itself.

(Clichés) What I hate most is Author's Describing their characters as the exact same Beyond Perfect Body with over sized Body Parts. I Personally I am not Turned-on by Over Sized Breasts and Dicks. But that one could be just me each to their own for that last one. And it is not just the Descriptions of Characters either. It is other things too such as Copy and Past Other People's Story Elements on to yours, such as if you are writing a Fan Fiction Story about your favorite Celebrity. Do not just have them be instantly be attracted to you or your character, no in my opinion that is not just Boring but also it feels like every other Celebrity Story that I have tried to Read. Instead, why not try to write an actual story about of it, where the said Celebrity might Resist at first through a Series of Chance of encounters, they would eventually give in. Key word 'Eventually' and I say the same for another story for any other Category.

I Personally do not think it is very interesting if you have a beyond Handsome Knight Rescuing a Massive Breasted Dumb Princess. Whom also happens to be So Sexually Repressed that she was found not only Having a Gangbang Session with her Captures Willingly might I add. But also offered her own body to the for mentioned Beyond Handsome Knight as Reward. As it just feels like every other story of its kind. Any ways my point is it would not hurt to make your story feel a little different from everyone else's. In fact, quit the opposite.

(Grammar) Oh Joy now we get to Grammar. And since that I am A Grammar Snob, I would rather not only use a Spill or Grammar Check of some kind, but please for the love of everything that Turns you on double check your Correct Usage of Words. As 'Two' does not mean 'Also' as in "I'm also am hungry." nor does 'Its' mean the same as 'It's" as in "It's cold outside."

(Sentence Structure) Although like the above I feel it is different rent to warrant its own category. I feel Sentence Structure is also important. Because I feel, and keep in mind this rule does not apply to every sentence. Is that some times shorter sentences are not only a lot easier to read but also it conveys more. As I am not trying to Figure out what you are trying to say. For Example, "She ran out in to and started playing in the snow." Not Only Sounds but Conveys a Lot more than "She rant out into through the snow and dove in to the snow and started playing in the snow." In that Example You do not need to keep on reminding me that your character is going in to the Snow to play in it. So basically, what I am saying is Please Choose the Perfect Right Words to you to use in your story. The only Exception to these last two rules is Character Dialogs but a little more on that later.

One Final Word on Sentence's Please Pick the right words to put in to your sentences. As you do not want come off looking like you never had any education of any kind, Hare's what I mean using 'Ed' at the End of a Sentence when it is not needed just makes that Sentence look off. Such as "I just lunched" or "I runs outside into the rain" but I think you get what I mean? By going by examples.

And I know that most people say that after when you are finished writing your story you should go back and read it, just make sure that it is the best it can be. And you should I am not saying that you should not by any stretch of the imagination. But if do not want to do that, hare is a bit of an Authors Hack from Me to You. Instead of Going back Rereading your Story after when you have finished, who says you could not just Read and Edit as You Go. Believe it is a lot easier and Less Overwhelming on you.

(Continuity) This Next one is Obvious. Everything in your story must be connected, and I will even go as far as to say if it does not have a Purpose in your story. Then either do not use it but if really want to add that Blank Thing in to your Story than I suggest you Obviously some find a way to add the Blank Thing that you want in your Story in a way that makes sense. But it goes beyond that I am also talking about keeping everyone's clothes or even their actions the same. Because if you all suddenly Change the clothes that one of your Female Character wears in the same scene that obviously would confuse your readers.

And so, hare's another Author's Hack that I am going to give. Since it usually takes you more than a Day to Write your Story, I would suggest you write down everything that is currently Happening and you Plan to Happen in your current story that you are working on. Down on the Bottom of the Current Page that you are on Temporary, and When you are Finished with that event just Highlight and Hit that Delete Button. And I recommend the same with Relevant Character Bios and Other Relevant Story Related Information.

(Research) This should be another simple one if you do not know or is unsure about something well guess what? That is what the Internet and other related resources are for. You could just simply go Online and find out What Farm Life was like in the Late 1800's, or what Movies came out in 1995. Or even which Version of Batman is the Best for your Fan Fiction Story. Just to name a few Examples. In fact, In My Opinion, it goes a long way in helping your Readers Imagine the World or Universe that you are trying to Create. As they really feel like they are there while reading your story.

(Keeping It Real) Unless you are Writing a Fantasy or a Sci Fi Story it is recommended that you should keep it real. And even then, your Fantasy or Sci Fi Story should have some semblance of realism to them. Not only In Accidence to these Genres but also to the Accidence of the Universe that you have created. Such as if Dragons do not exist in your Fantasy World than keep it that way unless they are so Rare that they are Considered a Myth, if you choose to add dragons later in your story. Or whatever the case maybe. And I guess the same Rules could applied to Supernatural and or Horror Stories as well. And remember the Dialogs that I've mention? Well, if you listen to someone talk in either Real Life or on TV than you would already know that people in America and Canada anyways do not use proper word or speech usage. "Cause that how I feel about you." Verses "Because that's how I feel about you. " I am pretty sure you have talked that way yourself if you Live either in the USA or Canada or at least Visited those places.

And speaking of keeping it real although you do not have to, but it still be nice if you could give your characters some meat. Now I am not saying that you should take a Paragraph or two to write a mini-Profile for your characters. No That's not what I am saying, what I am saying is that if you could fit it in than you should try to flesh out that said character. Such as wait until your character is having a flashback or something before saying that character hates going in to dark places or whatever the case maybe. And I say the same for Fleshing out that character's relationships and the like.

(In Conclusion) And that should be it. I May have forgotten a thing hare and there but I think I he Basics Down. But I do recommend you to check out other check out 'How To' Write Stories Article in the 'How to Section of this site. I myself have and that is why I can come up with my own, and I Promise you will not be disappointed. And with that said. Obviously, these are just my Own Personal Advice and now it is your choice to Take it to Heart or you do not it is Always your Choice.