A Pleasure to Serve Pt. 01

Story Info
Soon their butler will become their Master.
5.8k words
4.59
49.5k
94

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 07/15/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Mesmerciless
Mesmerciless
2,086 Followers

Prologue: The Will

Valerie Harroway shifted impatiently on the emerald green couch, brushing a stray lock of mahogany hair behind her neck. "You did notify her of the time, correct?" she snapped at her sister, Theresa.

"Y-yes, I made sure of it," the thin, quivering red-head peeped, shrinking back into her armchair. "I even wrote it down for her so she would remember."

Valerie let out a dissatisfied sigh. She should have known. This had been her burden as the eldest sister since they were children. It didn't matter that they were all marriageable women in the prime of their youth—it was still up to Valerie to act like the adult, to ensure that her siblings observed at least an ounce of the decorum befitting their station. But with Mother gone now, there was only so much Valerie could do.

And so here they were: Theresa shivering in her chair, clutching her Bible like a safety blanket, and Eva off doing God knows what in the woods surrounding their estate. Honestly, if the presence of all three sisters wasn't required, Valerie would've ordered Mr. Lilton to begin the will reading without the problematic sibling. It wasn't like she really stood to gain much anyway.

Obviously, the majority of Mother's fortune would be Valerie's. She was the only real choice: not only had she been handling the family finances since Mother's illness, but she was also the most beautiful and cunning of her sisters, and thus stood the best chance of securing a family legacy. Mother had never been fond of men or marriage (the fate of their father had made that clear), but she understood its utility. So she would also understand that Valerie was the only real option.

Everything would be fine. Valerie's hard work would pay off soon. All she needed to do was relax, listen to the crackling fire in the hearth, and enjoy her...Valerie glanced down at the teacup resting on the end table.

"Poe would you—" the rest of the request hadn't even left her lips before the young, dark-eyed man was at her side, refilling her cup. "Thank you," she dismissed him with a slight nod.

"Of course, my Lady," he replied with a slight bow before stepping back into the flickering firelight.

Valerie took a sip of the tea, savoring its delicate flavors on her palate. At least the butler was still dependable. And, Valerie thought as she covertly watched him return to attention, he would soon be hers to command. What a delightful thought that was. He was a strange man, to be sure, a commoner Mother had acquired during a trip through the Massachusetts countryside. Yet despite starting as a rough-hewn gardener in his teenage years, Poe had managed to quickly refine his manners and skills, to the point of becoming Mother's personal—and favorite—servant. Such diligence was attractive in a subordinate and, coupled with his sharp jaw, jet-black hair, and playful smile...yes, Valerie was quite excited to have such a man at her beck and call.

Unfortunately, the approaching sound of heavy boots interrupted her fantasy, bringing her back into the present just as the parlor door swung open.

"Oh joy," Valerie sighed, not even bothering to turn. "You've arrived."

_______________________________________________

Eva snorted as she strode into the parlor, her sister's withering sarcasm seeming more pathetic than cutting this evening. "Sorry I'm late," the middle Harroway sister said, pulling off her gloves and tying back the strands of chestnut hair that had come loose. "My quarry was stubborn this evening."

Valerie sneered. "If you weren't so keen on dismembering them, I should think you share more kinship with your beasts than you do your sisters."

"I'll take that as a compliment," Eva replied, plopping on the couch and making sure the muddied hem of her hunting jacket swept near her sister's skirt.

"Careful, you brute!" Valerie recoiled with a satisfying squeal.

Eva laughed. Honestly, it was too precious. For all of Valerie's high-and-mighty mannerisms, she had the guts of a fledgling pheasant. She probably thought she was a shoe-in for Mother's fortune, what with her fair skin, dainty figure and silver tongue. But Eva knew the truth. No man would want a snooty, statuesque woman for a wife, and no Mother would want a bookish, conniving daughter for an heir.

No, Eva was the clear choice. With her full, luscious breasts and shapely, fertile hips, she was the shoe-in to carry on the Harroway name. While Valerie was busy studying figures by candlelight, Eva was becoming a woman of the world, romping through the forests and the villages, hunting game by day and suitors by night. She had become strong. And quick. And she knew the lay of the land. These were the qualities Mother had cherished; these were the reasons Eva deserved the lion's share.

"Um, so..." squeaked a timid voice from beside Eva, causing the huntress to start. Even with her sharp instincts, she had somehow missed Theresa huddled in her armchair. "It s-seems we're all here," the youngest Harroway continued. "Sh-should we begin the will reading now?"

"Obviously," Valerie huffed. "Were it not for Eva's tardiness, we should already be finished and about our business."

"What's the rush? Afraid Mom'll come back to life?" Eva chuckled. "At least let me get some tea. Poe?"

"Of course, my Lady," the handsome butler answered, gracefully producing a full cup for Eva's enjoyment. She accepted with a playful wink. Now there was prey she couldn't wait to sink her teeth into. And unlike some of her quarries, disposing of the remains would be simple.

Their lawyer cleared his throat, grasping the envelope on the table before him. "Very well," he said. "With all the relevant parties assembled, we will proceed."

A deathly silence fell over the parlor, so complete that the tearing of the envelope sounded like thunder. The lawyer unfolded the single-sheet will, appearing surprised by its brevity. Eva didn't mind—simple was good. It would make her victory more complete.

"Erm," the nebbish man stammered. "I-I shall begin at the top. 'I, Constance Harroway, being of sound mind and body, do decree on September 21st, 1904, that, at the time of my death, I wish for all of my assets, holdings, and titles to be transferred immediately...to my most faithful servant, Nathanial Poe."

In unison, two teacups shattered.


Part I: Valerie

"It's strange," Eva commented, brushing bread crumbs off her nightgown. "I can't remember the last time we all had breakfast together."

Valerie arched an eyebrow from across the table. "Extraordinary times call for extraordinary measures," she quipped, trying to hide her revulsion at her sisters' eating habits. Theresa, on the other hand, hadn't touched any of her food yet—perhaps she was inflicting another fast on herself, paying penance for some arbitrary sin. Or, perhaps her stomach was still in knots from the reading last night. Valerie certainly couldn't blame her for that.

"I-I suppose we're here to discuss Mother's will, right?" the youngest sister asked, her enormous blue eyes shining in the sunlight. "That's why Poe isn't serving us this morning, right?"

Valerie's eyes narrowed. She had forgotten Theresa could be surprisingly sharp when she wanted to. "Indeed," the elder sister answered. "I told him to replace all the flowers in the manor this morning, which should keep him occupied enough for us to have a frank discussion."

Eva sighed. "I get the feeling that by 'discussion,' you mean another batch of Commander Val's marching orders."

Valerie's fists balled under the table, but she hid her irritation with a smile. "I could never order you around, Eva, even if I wanted to. However," her expression turned serious, "I have already put a plan into motion, and would strongly suggest the both of you not interfere. It's in your best interests, believe me."

"Of course, if you say so," Theresa nodded, so quickly Valerie would have interpreted it as sarcastic were it also not so meek. "I trust you to do what's right."

"Wait, hold on a minute," Eva said through a mouthful of sausage. "By 'plan', what exactly are you talking about? Are you saying you have a way to get our money back?"

Valerie rolled her eyes. "I wouldn't put it so crudely, but yes, my goal is to return our Mother's fortune to its proper place."

"Meaning all of us?" Eva's expression darkened. "Or just you?"

"You will all receive your fair share," Valerie answered. "Provided, again, that you do not interfere. This is a delicate negotiation I'm managing."

"Is that why you're dressed like an escort?" Eva smirked. "For negotiating?"

"Eva!" Theresa gasped, scandalized. "You shouldn't talk about family like that."

Valerie sipped her tea, not bothering to dignify Eva's barb with a response. True, she was dressed rather...provocatively today. Gone were the frumpy mourning outfits of the past month, replaced with an elegant lavender dress, its bare shoulders and deep neckline showing off her fair skin and prominent, tightly-packed breasts. It wasn't the most modest choice, but it was certainly elegant. If Eva couldn't see that, there was no point in explaining it.

"Just stay away from the library tonight," Valerie warned, "and the Harroway legacy will be secure."

____________________________________________

Valerie adjusted the candles on the coffee table, nudging them just so before returning to her practiced pose, reclining with a book in hand. From this angle, she knew anyone who entered the expansive library would find their eyes drawn to her graceful beauty, draped casually yet elegantly across the sofa, surrounded by shadowy shelves, her face lit mysteriously by the flickering light. Such a display would put the brashest of nobles on the back foot—for a common peasant like Poe, it would likely leave him speechless.

Valerie was counting on that. All of this was part of her plan, her design. Earlier today, she had told Poe she would be expecting her usual evening tea in the library, as had been their custom for years. Despite his newfound status as heir apparent, the butler acquiesced to the demand without a fight—more than likely he was so shocked and befuddled by the recent turn of events, he hadn't yet come to realize the power he now wielded. Not that it mattered: whether he entered this room with a bow or swagger, Valerie was confidant she could turn the tide in her favor.

The creak of the doors signaled the arrival of her foe. Valerie waited a moment before looking up, as though she had been so engrossed in reading, she had forgotten their arrangement.

"Ah, Poe," she said with a relaxed smile. "Right on time as always." To her delight, she noticed he was entering as he normally did, greeting her with a polite bow before pushing the tea tray into the room.

"Punctuality is the first mark of a good servant," the butler replied. "It was one of the first lessons your mother taught me, and I cherish it dearly."

"Indeed," Valerie nodded, enjoying the sight of her opponent deferentially arranging tea and cake before her. "But I confess, I had the notion you might no longer feel bound by such customs, given the rather shocking turn of events last night."

"As always, my Lady, you are perceptive beyond measure," Poe's eyes twinkled in the candlelight. "The revelation of your mother's will did indeed leave me feeling somewhat adrift as to my place in this household. But, when one feels themselves at a loss, one must turn to what they know. And serving you," he added, offering a teacup and saucer to her, "is what I know best."

"Well said." Valerie took a deep sip of tea, savoring its flavor. It was sweeter than normal, though perhaps that was simply the taste of impending victory she was detecting. "Though I still can't help but wonder if you fully grasp the situation you're in, Poe."

A single eyebrow arched. "My Lady?"

"For whatever reason, Mother has chosen to mark you her heir," Valerie continued, her eyes narrowing over her cup, "but that's not as simple as you inheriting a lump sum of money. There are vast responsibilities and expectations that come with the position, both legal and moral. Were you aware of this?"

"Not in the particular sense," Poe admitted. "But I assure you, I will think carefully about how to best fulfill your mother's wishes."

"Then I advise you listen to what I'm about tell you carefully," Valerie said, taking a moment to drain the last of her cup and let Poe sweat. "I believe it will play a great role in your...considerations."

The butler kept his face blank, but Valerie could detect the tension in his shoulders as he bent down to refill her cup. "As always, my Lady, I await your wisdom."

Despite herself, Valerie chuckled. This was going so well it was making her giddy. The adrenaline and tension she had been carrying was dissipating by the moment, leaving an airy, relaxing warmth wafting through her body. "You've shown me a great deal of courtesy over the years," she smirked. "So I will do you a favor and be honest with you: I don't intend to hand over the Harroway estate without a fight."

Poe hesitated a moment, as though reassessing the woman before him. "I'm...not sure I know what you mean," he finally said.

"Of course you don't," Valerie laughed. "To put it in plain terms: I aim to contest the will, and your claim to our family wealth. Now you may think the case rather open and shut, but I assure you the law is far more finicky and malleable than you might imagine. There's no end to the number of ways my personal lawyers can delay, defer, or decimate your inheritance. In fact, I've already taken the liberty of writing and ordering them to begin the task."

The butler said nothing in reply, but the brief flicker of surprise in his expression told the whole exquisite story. Valerie sighed happily, sinking further into the cushions. She hadn't planned on being so belligerent, but this was just too much fun. Was this what people meant by being drunk on power? It was a most intoxicating sensation indeed.

"However," she continued, holding up a single slim finger. "There is a way out for you. One that is mutually beneficial to us both. You see, while I have no compunction resorting to bureaucratic warfare, I admit the process is a rather expensive and tedious one. I'll also admit that I have no guarantee of completely stymying your winnings, and, worse still, there's a great chance my sisters will insert themselves into the process the longer it drags on, further threatening my rightful share."

"I...am grateful for your candor." The shadow of a frown passed Poe's lips. "But you said there was an alternative?"

"Yes," Valerie breathed, raising her cup to her lips and shifting her body to even further squeeze her already compressed cleavage. "Instead of making such a mess for everyone...why don't we come up with a little arrangement between the two of us?" She glanced up from her drink, and caught Poe's eyes darting away from her breasts. He was such a simpleton. This was too easy.

"Arrangement?" The butler swallowed.

"Mhm," Valerie bared a seductive grin. "All you have to do is agree to sign away half of the estate to me, and I won't trouble you further. In fact, I will support your claim if my sisters try to contest it themselves. Which, I can assure you, they will."

"I see," Poe stroked his chin in thought. "This is quite a clever plan. The way you've put it, refusing would mean I risk an uncertain battle, with the prospect of losing everything. But if I accept, I'm guaranteed a sizable stake, as well as your allegiance. Is that about the sum of it?"

"You catch on quick," Valerie replied.

Almost...too quick.

In fact...something was a bit off about the way he was looking at her. She had expected rage, or surprise, or even relief. But instead, all she saw was...was that hunger in his eyes? Whatever it was, why did she find it so difficult to parse?

And why couldn't she look away?

"Your tea is getting cold, Valerie," Poe stated.

"Huh? Oh." Without thinking, the dazed beauty took another large sip, finishing off her second cup. She blinked, realizing belatedly how strange his comment was. Stranger still was how her body seemed to react before her mind could catch up. Had she let herself become too confident? Too smug? Or...

"You seem deep in thought," the butler observed, stepping away from the tea tray and drifting closer to her. "Is everything alright?"

"Y-yes, um..." Valerie set the cup down, trying to force her thoughts back in order. Even as she detected something was amiss, that buoyant heat she had mistaken for triumph was still floating through her senses. It was the strangest sensation, as though her mind and body were drifting apart, leaving a gap her thoughts struggled to bridge.

"You're so tense, Valerie," Poe murmured, "I can almost feel it radiating from you."

Valerie hesitated. "D-don't be ridiculous..." What was happening? How could her heart beat so fast, and yet her brain feel so sluggish?

"I'm being earnest," Poe assured her, circling behind the couch. "I can tell you've been plotting this moment for so long, building up all sorts of anxiety and tension in your body. I can feel it right...here."

"Oh..." Valerie sighed as she felt his hands gently rest on her bare shoulders. Ordinarily, she would recoil from such rude contact, but his touch felt oddly pleasant against her skin, his gentle grip sending ripples of relaxation through her.

"There see?" Poe asked, carefully kneading her grateful muscles. "A woman like you spends so much time in her head, so much time worrying about what will and won't be. As your servant, I can't let such an unhealthy habit slide. I need you to relax."

"I...am...relaxed," Valerie managed to protest between shuddering breaths. She tried to crane her neck, tried to look up at the man so...insolently toying with her delicate flesh. But her body felt so heavy and tired all of a sudden, the effort it took to think sapping what little energy she had left.

She knew something was wrong.

She knew she should fight to get away.

But all she could manage was to turn her head slightly before her chin started to droop, her arms sliding off her lap and to her sides as she melted deeper into the couch, deeper into Poe's wondrous hands.

"That's right," he murmured, as though soothing a beloved pet. "Just breathe nice and easy for me. Notice your chest rising and falling. In and out..."

"In...out..." Valerie repeated before she could stop herself. She had meant to resist. Had meant to chastise him for taking such a tone, such a posture with her. But now all she could think about was her breathing, how the cozy air of the library filled her lungs with every inhale, the way the sweetness of the tea lingered on each exhale, the way her stiffening nipples subtly pressed against her dress as she drew in more air...in and out...in...and...out...

"Excellent, Valerie," Poe squeezed her shoulders approvingly. "You're feeling better already."

"Feeling...better..." As much as she hated to admit it...it was true. In...and...out...

"All that planning and scheming has made you so tired. So sleepy. Which is why I'm here. To make you feel better. To guide you into an even deeper and deeper state of relaxation."

Deeper...."Wait..." Valerie managed to moan, her lips hanging open as another heaving sigh sapped more strength from her body. She didn't know what Poe was up to, could no longer think straight enough to figure out how he was doing this to her, but some instinct told her that if he continued...if that gap in her head grew wider...and if his words continued to fill the void...she would...would...

"Look at the candle now," Poe advised, scattering her thoughts in an instant.

Valerie's head lolled as her body obeyed, her chin almost touching her chest as the swaying flame met her gaze. Even as the dazzling light captured her full attention, she was dimly aware of Poe's lips drawing closer to her ear, his breath caressing her neck.

Mesmerciless
Mesmerciless
2,086 Followers
12