All Comments on 'A Portrait of the Artist'

by FrancisMacomber

Sort by:
  • 157 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
Impressed

You have a flair with the pen. Keep them coming. I will be looking.

Mousse9Mousse9almost 13 years ago

A classic LW tale. Susan's rationalizations were amusing. I enjoyed the story.

Anonymous0Anonymous0almost 13 years ago

Good first story. Don't worry about the mistakes in spelling or grammar. It's good that the good guy won and the cheating bitch lost. Well done.

RehnquistRehnquistalmost 13 years ago
Well Done

This is your first story? Really? Frankly, at the end of three pages, I wanted more. I couldn't believe it was already over. That's due, in large part, to your smooth writing and deft handling of the plotting. Usually, a story like that would've been almost too much like a snapshot, but you conveyed pretty much everything in quick, smooth fashion.

Recommendations for improvement? Try using more dialogue. Don't tell us in prose how she felt; have her tell us in a conversation. Also, I really feel you missed out completely on ratcheting up the tension and conflict by not sharing with us until the end that which we already knew: Clint was well aware of her affair all along. Since you were writing in third person, you could've followed Clint at he watched his marriage disintegrate while also tracking her as she denied he'd ever found out and continued on her self-destructive path.

Still, you really have a winner here, and I hope to see more soon.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
Excellent

Very good story, keep writing

BobNbobbiBobNbobbialmost 13 years ago
Good story . . .

. . . well told. Seems like a person with interests in the art world can have some strength as well. I liked the twist of the ending.

BigJohn601BigJohn601almost 13 years ago
Well done!

Well written story but could use a little more polish in the telling. Looking forward to future postings.

chilleywilleychilleywilleyalmost 13 years ago
Welcome to the Club

Very enjoyable story. Usually these stories are told from the husband's point of view. From the wife's pov, it's different. My first thought is Clint was greatly underestimated, and we didn't see much of him, but from the wife's pov, that's how it has to be. Clint is a shadow.

Anyway, good story, may it be the first of many

Chilley

cpetecpetealmost 13 years ago
Well Done

A fine story that highlights the reasons your character gave for her actions. So true to real life as so many people have the "..its not my fault." attitude-that you wrote about so well. Everyone has their own person spin on events and you had the main character express hers well.

Great to see new people submitting non-wimp stories-without the Navy SEAL/SAS/Delta Force/CIA mantra. You had the Hubby take the "better revenge thru better living road."

Look forward to more

brujaybrujayalmost 13 years ago
Nicely Done!

Enjoyed the story immensely. Excellent first effort on Lit.

Please keep writing and sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago

She got what she deserved!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
Impressive!

Very impressive for a first timer! Thumbs up, looking forward for more.

patricia51patricia51almost 13 years ago
Thoroughly enjoyable

A nasty villian, a scheming wife, a hero who was much more than was pictured to be and a loving woman to pcik up where the wife left off. Stir liberally and top with a dash of payback. Well done. Looking forward to much more from you.

MarvinSMarvinSalmost 13 years ago
Thank you

Thank you for a the view of the mind of a cheating woman. Some might wish that you would continue the story, but it is complete the way it is.

tazz317tazz317almost 13 years ago
A RISING STAR

VERY GOOD FOR OUR 1ST 2 SUBMISSIONS. IT IS SELDOM ANY AUTHOR RECEIVES A 5 FOR ANY OF THEIR STORIES. CONTINUE WITH YOUR WRITINGS. TK U MLJ LV NV

hodunkhodunkalmost 13 years ago
Great story

Very interesting /Different type of story. I liked it very much , as the other storys you have submitted.

huedogghuedoggalmost 13 years ago
Your touch on this story shines thru

You can't truly write, I hope you put out more stories.

DunaDunaalmost 13 years ago

It is a super hyper revenge story, according to my taste: without murder, violance!!!! Unfortunately 5 stars are only!

DunaDunaalmost 13 years ago
I revenge story fan

StangStar06 also wrote an excellent revenge story from the view of the mind of cheating wife: "Circling on the Drain". StangStar06 sent to me by E-mail the next chapter 6 month ago, but he do not want to publish it. Yesterday I wrote an E-mail to ask for publish, because I think it is better, then the first chapter.

bruce22bruce22almost 13 years ago
Really Nice Surprise!

The one-sided picture is the perfect philosophical posture!

I admit that with modern electronic equipment you can "see"

things at a distance but you can not get into someone else's

head.

She was not the best really "the best" because she did not feel what was going on around her, and was blind sided!

Great new author!

demantoiddemantoidalmost 13 years ago
Fun well written story.

Good read. Thank you.

Boros749Boros749almost 13 years ago
Nice!

Jennifer knows what she wants and she went for him. of course, Susan gave her a way to succeed. good story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
Great read

Ernest Hemingway would be proud.

tazz317tazz317over 12 years ago
GOOD STORY

With the black humor, E.A.POE, would be proud. TK U MLJ LV NV

grogers7grogers7over 12 years ago
Great concept

The artist able to capture the quintissential person in a photo. It would have been interesting to learn that Clint knew of her infidelity and felony by observing her and photographing her in unguarded moments, just as he did when she first dated him. Seeing such a photo, Susan would have once more seen herself through Clint's eyes and known that he knew. His observation could have been the predicate for his investigating her activities and stumbling on her felonies.

The very end, as written, is more abrupt than the rest of the story, and Clint using a poor photo to express himself seems out of character. Rather, had he sent her an artful piece revealing herself to her, she would have been consumed with despair as she had earlier been consumed with joy at seeing herself through his eyes.

Still, very good. Thanks.

juanwildonejuanwildoneover 12 years ago
Actually I'm picturing a writer

great story - well told.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
heckuva story

5 stars, using the wife's POV is always a challenge and it was handled brilliantly.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
overall very good

I enjoy the development beginning and middle as things were reveal. But i found the ending lacking. Maybe i was just greedy and wanted to read more.

Overall a ****

hope to ready more of your works

JLRemoraJLRemoraover 12 years ago
Nice read

Short and sweet, but no less a good story.

huedogghuedoggover 12 years ago
a little soft but a good story

I'm glad clint moved on

zed0zed0over 12 years ago
Great Story!

Loved every word of it. Very subtle the way Clint may have had more to do with her downfall.

RePhilRePhilover 12 years ago
Really fun read!

Just the perfect length! You have a new fan

jusdafaxjusdafaxover 12 years ago
Where's the ending?

You have a great start, a well developed middle and an absolute dud of an ending. The scene in the gallery is a tag-on and the final bit with the picture is just annoying since it leaves a bunch if irritating questions that detract from the story. Having opened the can of worms regarding where and how he got the photo and where and how the FEEBS got their info for warrants it is just a pain to leave all that hanging. Without a real ending, it gets a generous 3.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
justice !

well, served and delivered!

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
No

The story starts well but what happened at the finish ?

The NavigatorThe Navigatorover 12 years ago
A common error

"Susan could care less at this point; for her the long ordeal was coming to an end..."

I suspect you meant "she couldn't care less". Think about it. They are exactly the opposite in meaning.

VickieTernVickieTernover 12 years ago
Nicely done

The denoument was evident throughout, the lady protesting Clint's naivete way too much, but hey, the way it's revealed was deft and satisfying

TavadelphinTavadelphinabout 12 years ago
pretty predictable -

But well executed -

You pretty much knew he knew heh - but wondered how she was going to find out about it - "the wimp wins"

Vulcan_in_OhioVulcan_in_Ohioabout 12 years ago
With selfish Susan . . .

It was all about her. A partner follows the golden rule if he/she truly feels love for the other partner. Susan was clueless about the golden rule, but obviously Clint wasn't. He did to Susan as she did to him -- he fucked her life over. And two "wrongs" in this case made a "right.". Thanks for writing.

oldwayneoldwayneabout 12 years ago
I really loved the happy ending!

Thus always to cheating sluts!

LickideesplitLickideesplitalmost 12 years ago
Magic

One commenter posed the two critical questions, but no answers are forthcoming. Sweety's friend (and replacement) probably clued-in Hubby, but how did he get the picture(s?) of her and Boss/Bull? There are voice-actuated mini-tape-recorders that can be hidden in a purse, but photography would require elaborate set-up that Hubby would not have time nor sufficient access to execute.

Sweety certainly did not tell 'BFF' about the data falsification. A tape-recorder secreted in her purse might provide some of that, but BFF would not need to involve FBI to get the Hubby switchover. Sweety obviously did not rat on herself and the firm/BossBull.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
this one

is good

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
Susan never had a clue

All through the story we are told how Susan operated in her own little world only thinking about her needs, desires, wants and goals.Everyone else in her life was there (at least in her mind) to please her including self-centered, brutish Charles.

Charles was more like Susan that anyone else in this narrative. Susan probably didn't have a clue as to what love, commitment and fildelity were. She certainly had none of the afore mentioned values within her. The ending was just, she was hurt, divorced and alone, how fitting for a egocentric slut.

TornadoTysTornadoTysabout 11 years ago
Nice

I am in to photography and that was a nice touch by the husband !

sugnasugnaabout 11 years ago
Common

The thing all cheaters, criminals and such have in common is over-riding selfishness.

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333about 11 years ago
Loved it

I truly think this is your best. I especially love how Clint was entirely absent up to the end, and even then only in the distance. While the reader only knew of him through Susan's eyes, his character was evident. This is a very powerful device that heightened the emotional impact of the end. I would have liked Charles to have discovered that Clint was the one who tipped the Feds off, but that is trivial. This was amazing. Brilliant writing.

The indifference she seemed to show toward the divorce lessened the impact of her painful cry at the very end, and belied your earlier descriptions of her which seemed much more fully developed and emotionally deep.

HardFeltHardFeltalmost 11 years ago
Great!

The first wife of the husband sounds like my own previous Ex. Really.

Thanks for the story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
Follow on

How about a follow on for Jennifer - since its his second the chances are much greater than 50% that he will move on from her.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
revenge is a tricky topic....

I felt the ending diminished everyone. Essentially a bitter story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
I loved this

I thought it was brilliantly done and the ending was perfect. Susan clearly underestimated Clint drastically. Sending that photo at the end told her everything he wanted her to know. He was aware of her affair all along, whereas she thought he was clueless, he caused MCG's legal downfall (the conspiracy to defraud was discussed after the sex session photographed), and last but not least, that she is still seeing herself through his eyes, as she did with his gift of a photograph in college, only now as the cheating slut she became.

Voted 5* Thanks for sharing

tazz317tazz317over 10 years ago
#2 ARS GRATIS ARTIST

and some people who aren't savants, TK U MLJ LV NV

rightbankrightbankover 10 years ago
Her arogance and disregard was her downfall

it wasn't till he sent her the photograph that she understood the whole picture.

xtchrxtchrabout 10 years ago
Yes!

Finally! I enjoy stories where the man acts as a man. No counseling, explanations, hormonal imbalance, reasons why, she cheated-just say goodbye. The Man got his revenge on the 'Oh so superior' cheaters in his own way and so effective. I'm glad he does not even think about taking her back.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Enjoyed

Enjoyed the story very much. As I was reading, I couldn't help but think of 'theCelt'. This story reminded me of stories in his Consequences series and also of his writing and storytelling style; and that is meant as high praise.

KarenEKarenEalmost 10 years ago
One Thing Always Gets Me

In so many of these stories the wife "loves" her husband, who makes sweet love to her, but sometimes they "need" to be "taken'>

Does it never occur to them to mention that to their husbands? True, some guys just may not have it in them to treat their wives like that, but why not at least give him the chance before cheating on him?

And in the case of this story, she can't be as intelligent as she would have us think if she thought he got a divorce petition between her arrest and her coming home. He obviously was already working on it and was either going to serve her then anyway, or it seemed like a good time to do it.

SELSTIMSELSTIMalmost 10 years ago
Sad Story

Being a student of human behavior I always find these types of stories very sad. Which tells me that you too are a student of behavior of sorts. Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to develope such realistic characters and believable scenarios that make your stories very plausible. Thank you, very entertaining, sad but entertaining and that is the goal of the author. To evoke a response and entertain, Well done

tazz317tazz317almost 10 years ago
WHY IS IT SO HARD TO FACE THE TRUTH

and what makes it so scary. TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Good to see

When it isn't blaming the victim and the cheater actually pays a price.

You can really get on a RAAC roll around here at times.

chytownchytownover 9 years ago
Good Read***

Thanks for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Oh come on

He could have at least given her an opportunity to apologize; despite all the facade of a tender lover, Clint appears quite vindictive and repressed; he is probably too intense for a worldly wise Susan anyway. Adultery is not alright, as much as craving for love and spurning the one who is loved is.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
good span of writing

I started with your latest story on 10/14, and then came back to your first alphabetically, which was also your very first submittal on 7/11. You are a very good author, and I intend to read all your stories now in between the two dates.

This story is unique in that the 2 pictures captured her state of mind - in love in the beginning, and in lust for power and sex in the second. We don't know how the second was obtained (perhaps a PI), but the personality change was obvious. That change ruined her life, and she lost someone who loved her very much.

He can forgive, but never forget. Well done!

The DJ

calflashcalflashover 9 years ago
denial

she seems to be in denial as to her actions or blaming others for them

Tim413413Tim413413over 9 years ago
Another

excellent one. For someone who was supposed to be so smart...

Yuri5Yuri5about 9 years ago
thanks anon 10-02-14...

... for the laugh. What exactly would an apology do? Nothing. From her it would just be justification for her misbehaviour, and she knew what she was doing 100%. Even if you're the most kindest lover in the world you shouldn't be forced to listen to someone who hurt you in such an intimate capacity

KarenEKarenEabout 9 years ago
Re-Reading

“It's just that I need that something extra from Charles that Clint just can't provide."

Not to repeat myself, but how does she know that Clint “can’t” provide that “something extra” if she never ASKS for it?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
99.99%

Enjoyed this, but I think you missed one little opportunity (in my opinion). I don't think you needed to add "She screamed." at the end. It wasn't really required (the reader can fill in their own desired reaction). But more to the point, I love the idea of ending the story with the exact same quote you used to start it.

Also, if you were to change it, maybe modify the opening quote slightly. You have a comma after the second "Take it," . . . That could be a period to match the ending quote. . . or maybe an exclamation point (but then use the exclamation on the ending quote too).

BrewtooBrewtooabout 9 years ago
Karma's a Bitch

Great story - ha ha ha - she got what she deserved - it couldn't have happened to a more deserving person.

ChagrinedChagrinedabout 9 years ago
5*

I love these stories. FM has a great way with words. Although it would have been a better tag line to have as the last sentence

"Clint had again not photographed her as he saw her' But most readers can pick that up. (As well as it was probably Clint. and/or Jennifer who blew the whistle!)

ohyessssssohyessssssabout 9 years ago
four stars

I would have given you five but you let the whore off way to fucking easily. Jail time was in order. Lesser offense, certainly, but no jail time, not a chance.

RhomanovRhomanovabout 9 years ago
Missing or Extra?

The divorce aspect seemed like an extra ... Felt like it was just "there" as a footnote. It left me with a "missing" feeling especially when you wrapped the ending in a photo. It felt like emphasis placed on a nonessential portion of the tale.

sbrooks103sbrooks103almost 9 years ago
Same Old Story

"I know, Jen, but he just doesn't do it for me anymore."

So divorce him!

rightbankrightbankalmost 9 years ago
ego plus arrogance

equals

self absorption and oblivion.

He'll never figure it out and catch me equals famous last words.

sugnasugnaalmost 9 years ago
Formula for Cheating

When a person's intelligence is exceeded by their arrogance - they will cheat. No matter how smart they are, no one can commit the perfect crime. There is always evidence, there is always at least one witness, often arrogant people confess to others to heighten their sense of superiority.

sbrooks103sbrooks103almost 9 years ago
Talked?

"If only we could have talked, maybe I could have changed his mind. Why would he never talk to me?"

Why couldn't YOU ever talk to him? If only you could have talked about what you wanted maybe he could have given it to you!

ErotFanErotFanover 8 years ago
Story was missing something

I realize stories have an energy and life decided by the muse-ings (sic) of the author, and indeed this is another of your fine efforts.

Perhaps the muse will lead you to an expanded story where Clint's experiences and actions (along with Jennifer's?) would be interspersed to dramatic effect.

RhomanovRhomanovover 8 years ago
****

Came back and retread this... It is missing a piece. The last two parts are almost "oh by the way...".

Really like the writing.

sbrooks103sbrooks103over 8 years ago
The Mole

I would hazard a guess that Clint in his investigation of her affair was bugging her, and that's how he found out about the fraud, and turned over his tapes to the FBI.

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333about 8 years ago
Second time through...

Still five stars. Still love it. Started very strong but the ending left me wanting. He chose to never tell her why he was divorcing her, until much later. Why then? Was he the one who tipped off the Feds? Why would she be upset at his revelation? She didn't seem to ever give a flip before. What does this knowledge now make a difference.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
A good one, hits close to home

My wife left me because of reuniting with an old boyfriend. I knew he had hurt her badly when he popped her cherry, but it wasn't until she left me that I found she was a size queen. Now, my dick isn't small, 7"x6.5" so while not super long, very thick. However, when I walked into my house after a truck didn't show up at our worksite, I wasn't prepared for the size of what I found. My wife was on her knees on the couch and Tom was pounding into her from the back. It could only be called a small pole. My epiphany? No wonder she never felt that tight to me, after fucking him for two years before us.

She saw me and screamed, Tom shouted and pulled that fucking log out of her cunt, spewing sperm everywhere. I told her I wanted her gone for a few hours while I got hold of myself and almost laughed when they drove off together. In one hour and fifteen minutes, I erased myself from her life. Not even a picture was left behind. That included her phone, in her haste she left that too and I deleted them all.

I never spoke to her again. Hurt, I hooked up to our fifth wheel and drove away. Sitting on a mountaintop and camping on top of the world, I sat with a cheap laptop and wrote a book. It took me six weeks and 5 days. The editing took another four days and then I contacted my sister, an agent with, well, I'm not going to say. A large prestigious agency.

Joni was stunned to say the least. While she had a PhD in literature and a few other things, I was a high school graduate. She tweaked it a bit, then introduced it to her agency. Penguin picked it up and basically, I was set for life in a couple different ways. One, I could not only write, but rqim I could produced novels in the 100K word count range every three months, maximum. I still produce them in 4-6 weeks generally.

We didn't do all this until our divorce was settled. Josie didn't want a divorce but I told the court I refused to be married to a cheating whore. Yes, I said that, verbatim. A $2,000 fine stopped my mouth after that, but Josie knew I was done. We were divorced in 4 months and she moved in with Tom. I stayed on my mountaintop and wrote more and when my first printing was released, `100,000 copies, they sold out in ninety days. The second printing, increased by two and a half, sold out in another 18 months. By then, my name was all over our hometown and my ex tried to come back into my life.

Josie had left Tom because she learned fucking a cheater is just that, fucking a cheater. He couldn't stay with just her and when he left, or she kicked him out, I could care less which, he left her a gift. It was one that left warts and all sorts of nasty things down there. She used the premise of having me sign a copy to get in my trailer door and told me how much she loved me. Yeah, I saw her love in action.

I've written and had published fourteen books now. A great fanbase is being produced and they all have sold well. Josie? Well, she still stops in but I let her talk to my wife now. A wonderful redhead I met on a signing tour and we are head over heels in love.

sbrooks103sbrooks103about 8 years ago
Re-Reading

“he loves me completely – he'd never do anything to hurt me." – Until YOU hurt HIM!

"I guess Clint did hear the news, and now he's deserting me. So much for 'for better or worse.'" – As KarenE said, he couldn’t have gotten the divorce petition that quickly, so he wasn’t “deserting” her because of her arrest, he obviously found out about her affair and was already prepared to dump her cheating ass!

“And I thought he was committed to our marriage!" – She’s one to complain about “commitment”!

"I never guessed she was talking about herself," – She has no right to be angry, Jennifer warned her!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
-1*

If you use law enforcement you need to be on the money. As soon as you lawyer up the questioning stops. Plus to jail somebody you have to charge them. Bail is based on something.

The story got to phony to be good.

I have read and liked some of your work. Be real in the future.

MCPO Jim

dissmissdissmissalmost 8 years ago
mediocre

An arogant boss, a beautiful intelligent wife, a handsome laid back husband and a friend with a friendly warning .... around these one dimensional characters a very thin story evolved ......

Not one of the best tales from our Francis.

3*

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
LOL

"Take it, Bitch, take it."

Loved it. 5*

foolscapfoolscapalmost 8 years ago
BEWARE the Facebook profile at dearbornmt@yah** Unless you want to give up personal info to a potential phishing scam or become an unwitting part of some potential psych study or potential blackmail scheme.


Laurel and company don't seem to want to do anything about this but please don't put yourself at risk.



Practice Safe Internet Perversion!

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
dearbornmt@yahoo dope...

Unless you can provide a usable Facebook (or any other kind of) link then it matters not if you are real or a phisher.

christmas_apechristmas_apeover 7 years ago

pics or it didn't happen.

tazz317tazz317over 7 years ago
A PICTURE AND 1000 WORDS

and the quote is accurate and appropriate, TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Pretty Good Story

But it would have been interesting to know who tipped off the Feds about the fraud.

My bet, it was good old Clint.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
ann 10-05-16

Speaking of dopes

All you have to do is log into Facebook and then enter dearbornmt@yahoo.com in search box. Same as if you were looking for someone you know

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Guess Clint wasn't so oblivious

Nice tale of BTB - to the max. It's obvious that Clint knew a lot. He informed the FBI and had the divorce papers ready to go when the FBI arrested Susan. I guess the moral of this sad little tale is that if you play with fire, you get burned. Well played.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
now see

If Born That Way had an ending like this one, the lardslammeddung would have stayed awakr

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
I'll save you time looking for dearbornmt@yahoo.com

Just post your credit card numbers, bank account numbers, ATM pins, and all relevant passwords and usernames and sign over power of attorney to me and we can all go back to discussing the story, well, if you're not a wimp cuck...

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Amusing

So many stories and comments applaud idea of husband posting details of cheating wife on the web. Then someone actually creates FACEBOOK profile doing exactly that and the dire warnings of scams explode.

Amusing especially coming from comment crowd

cabbage01132cabbage01132over 6 years ago
good one 5*

written from the cheaters perspective was entertaining.

DogFuzzDogFuzzover 6 years ago
Ah yes!

Yes, this is what might occur when one thinks they are smarter than everyone else. My, how it feels when the dog bites your ass. Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Excellent

Excellent portrayal of a hypocritical selfish slut.

Why did she even marry him in the first place? She didn't love him, no matter her claims. She went into the first encounter with her boss without even thinking of her marriage.

266xxyz266xxyzalmost 6 years ago
5*

Great story. Ended rather abruptly but I guess that's what the end means.

CaOldDogCaOldDogalmost 6 years ago
5*

Excellent story about selfish people and about some of them getting their just rewards.

ByronicBitchByronicBitchalmost 6 years ago
Fuckin A+

Your sir are a very gifted writer. But I would like a Clint's side of the story. Amazing nonetheless

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous