A Pre-Vacation to Remember

Story Info
Two estranged childhood friends reminisce before a vacation.
10.6k words
4.76
5.6k
5
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

It's been so long since I've been here, driving up this winding road flanked by large lawns separated by perfectly-trimmed hedges, that I forgot how much that this place looks like a movie set, or at least a place where movie stars would live. It's the kind of place that feels incredibly imposing, even if the air of familiarity that fills me with every sight I see comforts me to some level of extent. Even with the memories in the back of my head, it's impossible for me to quite grasp the magnitude of it all.

After all, those memories were from so long ago. It's been ages since I've seen Hanna.

It's not even like this is where she lives most of the time, either. It's not that this place hosts a time-share that her family has with other families; my destination is her family's beach house through and through, and it can easily pass for any other one of these incredible quasi-mansions. Learning that someone from my elementary school could possibly have a house like this, let alone a close friend, was absolutely spellbinding to me as a kid, and even as an adult now, it's incredible to think about.

It was even more incredible when, at the end of second grade, she invited me over for the first time.

Back then, though, Hanna and I were completely inseparable. I don't know how we met, exactly, or started talking back in first grade, but somehow, it clicked immediately, and before I knew it, we were inseparable, and these invitations were just an additional proof of that. It'd just be me, my family, and her family at this resort of a household, and we'd do it every July until high school came about.

But now that I'm able to be here again, I couldn't wait until the near-customary Saturday morning to be here. I had to come a day in advance, just to be able to indulge in these memories once more. The only difference is that now I'm driving down these roads in my own car; my parents will be coming tomorrow, and I'm not sure they know that I wanted to come a day in advance.

Whatever. I'll see them tomorrow, or even later today if nobody else shows up. I doubt anyone will; everyone else is probably so adherent to the schedule, but my patience has gotten the best of me unlike anything else. I need to come here and see the sights; wind blowing through a palm tree or two, the vast ocean peeking from behind some of the houses, the luxury that radiates throughout the entire place.

"Your destination is on the right."

I heed my phone's word and turn into Hanna's driveway as far as I can, and I park right next to the garage. I take a deep breath, and I get out of my car.

Even though the sun isn't high in the sky, daring to dip behind the house, the summer heat beats down on me. I bring a hand to my forehead, using it like a visor before I step into the villa's shadow.

I take a good look at the villa, and even now it's just as big as I remembered it being as a kid, where I learned that Hanna's mom worked real estate and her father worked in law. It has to be at least three floors tall, and is definitely big enough to host at least twelve families at the same time. It's the kind of mansion that someone would buy just to flex that they could own a building that big, and even if her family were to live in it daily, I bet there would still be rooms that they wouldn't even know existed. It's the kind of house that could only exist by the beach, and even then, the walls are a pristine wood grain, as if untouched by the humidity that's already starting to make me sweat. It's a display of all sorts of power, and it feels unreal that I've been here yearly.

I hope there's no security camera thinking that I'm a risk. There's no way that those things would recognize me, especially not after how long it's been.

Eight years? Has it really been that long? I know that we stopped going for four years because Hanna had that thing with some high school sport. It really bummed me out to learn that I couldn't go during that time, but if Hanna weren't there, there really wasn't much of a point for me going. I certainly wasn't going here to listen to adults talking about whatever adults talk about.

At that point, I had her phone number, though, so we'd text each other, and whenever it came to be time where we would be at the beach house, we'd spend two weeks complaining about how unfair it was that we couldn't see each other, and we'd make promises that once we graduated from high school, we'd see each other at the beach house.

And in a cruel twist of fate, once Hanna's schedule opened up in college, mine shut down. I started taking internships, and those immediately started filling my summer schedule. None of them were ever kind enough to give me time off. Two weeks is a lot of time when it comes to making sure your boss' cup of coffee isn't empty, apparently, but I wasn't going to sacrifice my resumé with a firing, no matter how bullshit I felt it was.

I actually feel like I have to thank my employer for giving me time off, because I'm going to make sure every second of these two weeks won't be going to waste. I'm making up for eight years of lost time here, at this resort of a house.

A light blue compact car drives into the driveway, and my gaze immediately turns from the house to the car. It sluggishly rolls into the driveway and parks right next to my car. It's a bit too close to my car for comfort, but it's not like I'm going anywhere anytime soon.

And I'm definitely not going anywhere once the driver's side door opens, and a toned woman with a brown bob cut steps out of the car wearing a green cropped tank top and athletic shorts. I can tell that devious glint in those light brown eyes from a mile away, even if it had been so long.

"Hey, you!"

Her twang is impossible not to recognize. It's unmistakably her.

"Hey, Hanna!"

She steps out of her car and closes the door before opening her arms.

"Get over here!"

I oblige. I practically run over to her and scoop her up in my arms. Wrapping my arms around her waist, I pull her in, and I feel her arms looping around my neck, pulling me in even tighter. "It's so good to see you!"

"Yeah, after how long?" Hanna loosens the hug a bit so I can see her tilt her head, almost mockingly.

"It's not my fault that I keep getting internships," I chide right back at her.

She smiles and pulls away, leaning back on her car. "Didn't you say that you were planning on being here tomorrow?"

I pivot on my heel and lean back on her car right next to her. "Yeah, but you know, I was just so excited that I needed to see this place for myself again. There's so many memories here."

"Yeah, no kidding," Hanna retorts, tilting her head up, as if looking at something on the roof. "It really feels like we were here yesterday."

"Except you were taller back then." She used to be; it's honestly pretty weird having to tilt my head down to look her in the eye.

Hanna scoffs, rolling her eyes. "Enjoying the weather up there?"

"Not really," I reply. "It's hot as hell. You got a key or something?"

Hanna pats her purse, slung over her right shoulder. "What makes you think I wouldn't?"

"No reason."

I shrug, and Hanna pushes herself off her car. Her flip flops smack against the pavement as she starts walking at a slow, leisurely pace, as if waiting for me to join her. I follow, taking a slight lead in front of her as we make our way across the driveway and towards the front porch.

As we walk, I occasionally steal a glimpse of her. It's so weird to think that one time we were so close to one another, but it's even weirder to think that we've spent so long apart. It's like the last time we saw each other was yesterday, but the last time I saw her, her arms definitely weren't as toned as they are now, nor was her skin as tanned as it is now. It's not like she was scrawny when we last met, though. It's really hard to describe, especially with the backdrop of the beach house, which hasn't changed at all, but if one thing's clear, Hanna isn't a girl anymore.

Hanna approaches the doors, heavy, imposing, and probably oak, and grabs the key from her purse. She slips it in, and with a hearty twist and pull, she welcomes me into the foyer by holding the door with a wide smile on her face.

"Thank you," I say as I give her a curt nod before stepping inside, hoping that, by some miracle, the place had been cooled by air conditioning before I entered. Instead, I was greeted to a dim foyer that felt hotter and more humid than the outdoors it was supposed to save me from. I flick on the lights and am immediately welcomed by the large, high-roofed room, another masterclass in flexing just how much money her family had.

The memories start flowing through me again, of a young Hanna taking me by the hand and showing me around the place, introducing me to all of her favorite rooms, like the guest bedroom and the game room. As imposing as the place felt, it also has its way of feeling like home to me, and now that I'm indoors, it finally feels like I've been here.

Hanna closes the door behind me, the heavy slam breaking me from my trance. After a few seconds of blinking, I look back at her, and she gives me a slightly confused glance. "You okay there, dude?"

I nod. "Yeah, it's just really been awhile."

"Maybe you shouldn't have gotten so many internships," Hanna teases before sticking out her tongue. "Hold on a second. Let me turn on the A/C so we don't feel like we're dying in here."

Hanna walks off, leaving me to look around the foyer. Sure, I could do a bit of exploring on my own, but I'm not even sure if my memories would be enough to keep me from getting lost. Maybe it'd be for the best to follow her instead, even if I don't know where I'm going; hopefully she does. I walk forward, avoiding the two staircases flanking me, and head into the open space ahead, making sure to kick my sandals off in the meanwhile.

As hardwood turns to tile and I see a granite counter in front of me, I immediately know where I am. Unless her family's that eccentric to have a fridge and oven anywhere else, this has to be the kitchen. I head towards the fridge and open it up, seeing a few bottles of red gatorade inside. I take one of them and twist the cap off before closing the door. The first sip's immediately refreshing, as is the second and third, and before I know it, I'm about halfway done with the bottle.

At the other side of the kitchen, Hanna's staring at a wall, fiddling with a screen attached to it, and after a bit of messing with it, she turns around, giving me a thumbs up. "We're good now. You want something to drink?"

I lift the bottle in my hand and give it a slight shake. "Don't worry, I got something already."

Hanna scoffs, shaking her head. "Can you get me one as well?"

I turn around and grab another one from the fridge before tossing it over to her. Even if I'm a bit off with my throw, she's still able to catch it immediately.

"Nice catch."

"Not that great a throw."

Now it's my turn to shake my head, and I take another sip of my drink soon after. As I do, I can feel the air conditioning starting to do its job, the interminable heat that's filling the room starting to dissipate, if not barely. It's not enough for me to not cling to my drink, appreciating how cool it feels in my hand and how refreshing it feels to enjoy a cold drink. Hanna twists her cap off and joins me for a drink, sipping down her gatorade; she, too, succumbs to the reprieve from the heat, and the room grows silent outside of the occasional sound of beverage being glugged.

Not like either of us need to be proper around one another, or at least I hope not, but given how some of her drink is dripping down her chin and landing on her shirt, I'm sure that she feels comfortable around me. It's always hard to tell with people that you haven't seen for a long time, if they've changed or not, but it's like Hanna hasn't changed at all.

Hanna pulls her bottle away from her lips. "How's college been? You doing anything fun outside of your classwork and internships?"

I finish my drink and place it on the counter. "Not really. My professors just love piling homework on me and my internships don't believe in time off. This has been my first big break in a long time. What about you?" I ask.

She shrugs. "Nothing much. I mean, I started going to the gym when I learned my school has one of those if you're enrolled," she pauses, and I can see the amount she's resisting the opportunity to flex a bicep in front of me, "but it's mainly just been classes and more classes. It sucks. Business school's impossible."

"So I've heard," I say, "but writing school's just as hard."

Hanna chuckles to herself. "At least I know that I'm going to get a job once I graduate."

If she weren't across the room, I would have given her a playful shove with my elbow. Instead, I reply rather teasingly. "Hey, now."

Hanna laughs as she heads towards the counter. Once there, she rests an arm against it and leans on it. "Don't worry about it, though. If you can't find a place to stay, I'll take you in. We can be roommates!"

I give her a slightly questioning look, but the smile on her face is genuine. Mirth overtakes me, and I decide to play along. "Us, roommates?"

"Of course! We can get an apartment and spend all our time together. I can go to work while you keep trying to find something. Either that or you can make sure the place stays clean. I'll even pay most of the rent!" As she speaks, I wait for the moment for a giggle to come out, or at least some show of humor underneath it all. Instead, she steps a bit closer, her enjoyment rising even more as her smile grows wider.

"We can even get a one-bedroom apartment."

"What was that?"

I speak before I can process her words, and once they rest in my mind for a few moments, I'm glad I did. On one hand, I've known her all my life, but on the other hand, sharing a bed with her? I hope my question makes her realize what she's said, and the gravity of it, but her expression doesn't change.

Her cheeks flush a slight bit red, and she pushes herself off the counter, now standing upright. "It'd be less rent." She shrugs, her expression shifting from a smile to one of indifference while looking at one of the tiles on the other side of the room.

Then, her gaze returns to me, as does a subdued smirk. "Why? What'd you think I was saying? That we'd share a bed?" Hanna nudges my hip with hers and shoots me a wink.

"Got a problem with that? I'm sure we've done that before here."

"Yeah, back when we were kids," Hanna mentions. "It'd be a bit different now that we're adults, don't you think?"

Hanna turns to face me, and she rests her hands on her hips. I turn, too, our gazes meeting, equal undertones of stubbornness and confusion. That said, in my peripherals, I do understand exactly what she's saying. Last time we shared a bed, if we even did, Hanna wasn't like this. Sure, she was sporty, and had short hair, but she was a girl. In front of me stands Hanna, now, in the present; toned muscles, wide hips, curves that fill out her clothes, the aura of a woman. I definitely would have called Hanna a lot of things back then, but one of them that I wouldn't have, and the one that comes to the absolute forefront of my mind, is "hot."

I nod. She's right. It'd definitely be quite a bit different, but honestly, I'm not sure I'd mind that much.

The seriousness in Hanna's expression fades, though, as I nod; she's had just as much time to stare at me as I did with her, and her lips curl up. "Though I'm sure a queen-size bed would cost much less than two beds."

Before I can say anything, Hanna returns her attention to her bottle of gatorade and she finishes it off. Slamming it on the counter, she immediately changes the conversation. "So, what do you wanna do?"

Anything other than think about what just happened. "I dunno. You got anything in the game room?"

Hanna snorts. "I'm so out of practice with everything in there. You'll probably beat me at everything."

"Don't worry," I reply. "I'm out of practice too. You'll probably be able to beat me."

Hanna shook her head. "I doubt it, dude. You know how much worse I am at stuff like this even when I'm not out of practice?"

I shrug. "Maybe I'll let you win a few games, then. Ever thought about that?"

"Hey," she said, the playfulness in her voice oddly absent. "I'm fine with a lot of things, but don't take pity on me!"

I nod. "Point taken. I'll just obliterate you in every match we play even though I haven't played in a decade."

She crosses her arms and shakes her head. "Oh, Eric, you're just the same as you've always been, haven't you?"

"I guess," I shrug. "You wanna play something or do you just wanna stand here and do nothing?"

She shrugs right back. "I'm fine with either, as long as we can get a pizza."

"Sounds good to me." As I reply, Hanna pulls out her phone and starts dialing it.

"You good with pepperoni and sausage?"

"Fine by me."

"Same," she replies. "Thank god it's a cheat day."

I stay quiet as she calls the place and runs through her order. "Hey, can we get a large pepperoni and sausage pizza and a side of cheesy breadsticks? Thanks. How much would that be? I'll pay in cash, yeah. Thank you. See you in 30." She puts down her phone and directs her attention towards me. "We got 30 minutes. What do you wanna do with that?"

"Game room?"

Hanna nods before putting her phone back in her purse, and she heads over. I follow her through the halls, corridors, and rooms, up the stairs, and eventually to the game room. A large television stands at the far end of the room, flanked by two bookshelves each stuffed with game cartridges and disc cases. In the center of the room, there's two couches, each pointed towards the television as if making a triangle with it; I saunter towards them and sit down on the right one. Underneath the television, there's a few different game consoles, but the ones that catch my eye are the ones from my childhood, the same ones that have been there since we were young.

Hanna notices my attention and she heads towards one of the book shelves, and before I know it, my vision's filled with the sight of a cover I haven't seen in forever, but one that immediately brings back memories. It's the one racing game we always played as kids. My smile grows wider. I'm ready to take her on.

As she heads over to the console to put the game in, I get off the couch and grab two controllers from a bin right next to the closest bookshelf. With those in tow, I return to the couches, but not before giving one of the controllers to Hanna, who takes it with a smile.

"Remember, I'm player one," she says as she plugs her controller in.

"You'll be in second place, though," I reply, plugging my controller into the second player slot.

"As if," she says, her voice growing slightly cocky. So only she can say that she'll lose; when she turns the game on, I hope that the game will say she loses, too.

I sit down on the couch, and Hanna sits in front of me, scooting so her head rests between my knees. I lean back against the couch, controller in hand, and rest my thumb against one of the joysticks, spinning it around as I get used to the controller again. It's really been so long since I've held it in my hands.

Meanwhile, Hanna's navigating through the menus, and before I know it, we're at the character selection.

"You ready back there?" She asks, her focus so much on the game that her words sound like an afterthought.

I nod, choosing my favorite characters and the car that I always drove when I was a kid, which immediately earns me a scoff.

"Really, Eric?" She asks. "Are you really using them against me?"

"Just like old times, no?" I ask right back; if she's going to be cocky about this, I might as well be, too. That's enough for her to turn right back at me with an unamused look on her face. Before I can reply with a whimsical smile on my face, she returns her attention towards the television and picks her characters and cart.