All Comments on 'A Precious Slice of August'

by trigudis

Sort by:
  • 6 Comments
BBeinhartBBeinhartabout 4 years ago
Beautiful!

And it sounds very personal.

jesterhjesterhabout 4 years ago

What a lovely deft touch. Well done.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Submitted for your contemplation....

My wife passed away seven years ago. About a year after her death, I dated a lovely lady born in the 1980s. (I'm closer to your age, trigudis.) She and I aren't together any more -- but I still have her "top ten" list of favorite Twilight Zone episodes! Thanks for a sweet story, as always!

trigudistrigudisabout 4 years agoAuthor
Some Background

The romance in the story didn't happen to me but the background is based on fact. In 1963, whites were stampeding out of certain neighborhoods as blacks moved in. Also, an amusement park that had been picketed for years to integrate finally did on August 28, 1963, the day MLK gave his I Have A Dream Speech. If only I had had the kind of success that Troy enjoyed at that drive-in.

KingCuddleKingCuddlealmost 4 years ago
SWEET STORY!!!

The Future's So Bright You Gotta Wear Shades? :+))

Thanks for the memories!

OvercriticalOvercriticalabout 2 years ago

Nothing like your experience here ever happened to me, but the morality and the mind set of the young people does sound very familiar to someone about half a generation older than you. I, too lost partners late in life and tried to find new loves. I had some success, but it never seemed quite right. I do enjoy reading your versions of those days. 5*

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usertrigudis@trigudis
Free-lance writer who enjoys reading mostly non-fiction but also Nicholas Sparks romance novels and "serious" lit (John Updike, Irwin Shaw, Philip Roth, Herman Wouk). I enjoy writing these stories because it entertains me as well as the readership. Lit is unique in that wri...