A Pressing Concern

Story Info
A short story.
1.4k words
2.92
1.9k
1
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Pressed with a concern, that leaves her at a loss. Shauna wasn't sure what to do. No, she definitely was sure what to do. She must call the police and report what had accrued. Who would believe she acted in self defense. Surely the evidence would show that. If the rain hasn't washed it all away.

Shauna called the police giving all the pertinent information. Then waited in the pouring rain. Not even a tree to stand under. And the car she had driven out here in, over turned. Her jacket still inside it.

So Shauna waited as the rain came down heavier.

This has got to be a nightmare, she thought to herself.

All her life a nagging feeling dogged her. Something major would happen in her life. What it was she didn't know. She did know it was going to be all bad. This nagging dogged feeling would either happen to her or someone she will be with. Some would say, that it was just following a course of naturally events.

Tonight however was different. Getting a little lost at the party. Letting her hair down so-to-speak.

And Seth, the guy on the ground, talking like he owned the party. Heck! When he walked in Shawna noticed him. Like he owned the whole place. Walking around the room chatting with groups and individuals. Seth seemed to know everyone and everyone knew him.

Meeting Seth as Shauna came out of the kitchen. They hit it off right away. He made her feel at ease and comfortable. So when he asked if she wanted to go for a short ride. In his Porsche Targa. How could she refused.

Now 35 minutes later she stands in the rain waiting.

Waiting, she hoped, that she'd be believed.

Finally headlights illuminated the distance road. Closer the lights came and Shawn could see the blue and red flashing of a police cruiser. Then the other emergency vehicles behind the cruiser.

The officer stepped out of the cruiser and over to Shauna. He opened an umbrella and handed it to her. Hello I'm Officer Bennit. I'll need you answer a few questions please. Then started asking questions.

An EMT draped a blanket over her shoulders. "My jackets in the car", Shauna said. Only really trying to avoid answering questions.

The officer was asking.

Noticing Shauna was shivering. The officer walked to the cruiser and had her sit inside to warm up.

Inside looking out she stare at the proceedings. Police radio droning in the back ground. The sound of the rain

hitting the roof of the police cruiser. She was starting to drift when. The police officer opened the door and asked.

Is this your jacket Miss?

Oh yes. Thank you, she replied.

As she put her jacket on. Bennit said, you just stay here awhile and get warmed.

He closed the door and Shauna feel into the rhythm of the rain, coming down on the roof.

The sounds of the goings on outside were barely audible. With the heater going, the radio droning and the rain. It all sounded so much like a symphony.

Startled awake when the officer closed the door. She looked up to see him writing notes.

Outside the Porsche was now on the back of a tow truck. And emergency personnel seem to be finishing up.

Well You're probably going to need a ride. Bennit said. Can I drop you off at your house? If there anything I overlooked asking. Someone will call you.

I was at this party on Preston. That's where my cars at, Shauna replied.

Okay. But you should go home after I drop you off.

The ride back to the party seemed to take hours longer. Then the fifteen minute drive out.

Of course the cruiser wasn't going half the speed the Porches did.

What was the speed they were going, she thought. She seemed to remember, when she leaned over. Then caught a glimpse of the speedometer. 140 miles per hour.

And Seth, just before the car started to slid. Being preoccupied with trying to find a stupid song.

Hello Miss. Officer Bennit said. We're here, he added.

Startled awake for a second time in an evening. Her eyes slowly opened to see Officer Bennit holding the door open.

It appears the parties over. Only a few cars on the street now. Saying to Shauna as she stepped from the cruiser.

Thank you and goodnight, she replied.

Shawn walked down the street to her car. After starting it and turning the headlights on. She saw the cruiser leaving ahead of her up the street.

Driving home she couldn't help to think. About the lack of questions she was asked.

Clearly at some point after dozing off in the cruiser. Someone most have seen the small packets in the sandwich bag. It was still on the console where Seth had laid it. Just before trying to find a song.

Arriving home all Shauna could think of is sleep. Not even bothering to put a nightie on. Just drying her wet hair. Then she got in bed and before her head sank into the pillow, she was asleep.

Waking up the next day. Shauna looked outside and saw that it was raining again. Well at least I have the day off, she said to herself.

No sooner had she finished the thought. The phone rang.

It was a police detective. Wanting Shauna to come down today at three o'clock.

They needed to ask a few more questions, she thought to herself.

So taking a shower and getting ready. She looked out the window at the rain coming down.

Doesn't it ever stop raining in this state, Shauna said aloud.

Having a few hours before she had to be at the police station. She decide to have a light lunch.

After finishing she made a hot tea. Bringing it with her to the living room. Shauna sat down, turned the TV on and relaxed.

Naturally the local mid-day news was on. And the commentator was telling of an accident. The accident she was in.

Turning the volume up. She just caught the commentator saying.

...police have not released the name of the passenger. Pending further investigation into the accident.

Turning the channel to another local news program. The only information Shauna heard. Was the drivers name and what she'd heard on the other channel.

Well I'll find out soon enough. What it is they want to talk with me about. Saying to herself and channel surfing for something to watch.

Startled awake by a loud crashing sound from the TV.

Shauna looked at the time and saw. There was only twenty-six minutes to her appointment.

Gathering her jacket and umbrella she run for the car. Trying to dodge the pouring rain.

Now if I take Henderson Street to Crowes Hill Drive. Going over the route mentally as she spoke aloud. I can save a few minutes. Providing traffics not to heavy.

Ten minutes into driving, the rain seemed to be coming down and harder. She already was running the wipers at max.

Barely seeing the road in between what the wipers cleared away. She made a left onto Henderson. Then a right onto Crowes Hill.

Crowes Hill Drive was the steepest grade to drive, in or out of town. Almost a mile of twisted turns. With a short straight away at the halfway. Followed by more turns. Then a long steep straight away at the end.

But there was little traffic and it wasn't raining as hard.

Shauna had been down this road a hundred other times. In all kinds of inclement weather.

Suddenly, not even half way down, it started to hail.

Coming down very fast, making a loud pinging. As it bounced off the hood and roof.

Braking lightly for the last turn. The car fishtailed as she came out of the turn. Gaining control over the car she tried slowing down. First by braking then by down shifting.

She could not slow down. Although the hail had stopped. Shauna's concern was trying to slow or stop the car. Her speed was already in excess of forty-five.

Not yet at the bottom of Crows Hill. Just as she drove under the overpass. A car pulled out in front of her.

She slammed into the front driver's side. Of the other car. Bounced off and spun around backwards. In a diagonal across the oncoming lane. Hitting the curb with such force. That the car lurched into the air. Turned one and a half times. Over the wide ditch. Where the roof of the car, came to rest on the top of a stone wall. Crushed to just below the doors.

Epilogue:

The fire fighters using the jaws of life. Pried the car apart for several minutes. To be able to pull Shauna from the wreckage. The EMT's work on her to try and stabilize her vitals. Only long enough, to pronounce her D.O.A.