A Price Paid Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Her disappointment vanished upon hearing the words and seeing the determination in Neral's eyes. Nelina put her fist to her heart in salute with a snap. "If the queen comes to harm it will be because I'm already dead."

"I don't expect it to, but let's not have it come to that, shall we?" With one last pat on her shoulder, Neral sent her off. "Go."

She finally looked at Deres, seeing the concern and dread in his eyes and her heart was heavy. "You know I don't want to hurt my own people."

He sighed deeply and nodded in understanding, taking her hand, just to feel the anchor of her at that moment. "Of course. But people have been hurt already and will be before it's over no matter what you do."

She squeezed his hand. "Let's do what we can to minimize that number."

* * *

Major Vix was at General Jaye's right on his own steed as the general sidled alongside and shifted her weight on the greenery. The air carried with it smoke from the fires below and he inhaled it, gritting his teeth, and managing to do little more than need clear his throat, using it to prepare himself for whatever had to be done. He watched the tongues of orange and white fire lick the sky and the smoke rise as the fires consumed everything not stone, with the windows of the stone buildings belching black.

Between him and them were two dozen healing mages in their gray and red cloaks and twice that number in reserves; men in their everyday clothes and each with a heavy shield, short sword, and heavy sticks. The clubs were the first resort and the swords the last if others had drawn first. They weren't proper soldiers, but they'd follow orders.

He'd seen villages and whole cities burn like this because they'd come too late to meet the raiders that had sacked outlying areas of the kingdom. It seemed they could never be stopped, as it was easier to gang up on a small village and take what wasn't theirs than to work for something of their own. Or enemy troops in one far flung region or other where he had put his boots to the ground burning to deny him and his men resources, respite, or simply to make everyone pay a price for every foot of ground lost. In some ways this was like that, but in ways that made him scratch his blond beard, it was decidedly not.

He was still weighing his thoughts when archers and more infantry moved in behind him while others still made their way to cross streets on either side of the mob. He stayed quiet, allowing the general to take in the scene. "Something is strange," he said finally, his voice rough, "I don't know how or why, general, but we've been standing here watching this and it seems...aimless somehow. Scouts in earshot report no calls for equity or justice. There seems to be no target other than anything or anyone closest to them and, while they are seeking fresh targets, usually the sight of soldiers is enough to get the mob rushing for us, but they don't seem to care."

"Lasar suggests they just decided to go insane."

His thick brow rose, looking back out at the mob, then to the general. "Right now, I wouldn't completely discount that. And we are now receiving reports from the constables of sporadic violence in neighboring areas, but nothing organized. Brawls. Husbands and wives going after one another with kitchen knives. Not concentrated like the markets, but particularly vicious and, whatever it is took hold of some of the constables trying to deal with it. One said he watched two of his fellows go mad right in front of him trying to break up a fight before he fled for his life."

There was a cold knot forming in her gut, trying not to acknowledge the conclusion that she'd already come to. "Illness?"

"We've seen illness. I've seen illness that looks like insanity, but I've never seen anything that takes hold so fast." He leaned forward in the saddle to catch Deres's eye. "You?"

Deres's eyes seemed to be focused at some point in the distance and he kept his attention there. "No. But it's not as if there's nothing left to be discovered in the world." He glanced down to it before reaching to place his hand over hers. As she turned in response, something crossed her vision. Her first thought went to it being ember from the fires, but as she followed she realized they they weren't. They were white, and bright, and small. They actually did remind her of emberflies, but smaller. So small, she realized, she shouldn't be able to see them, yet she could. She saw them float on the wind.

That and more.

She saw the bright white collected here and there like mineral deposits in the distance; on the bits of landscaping that were still untouched by fire or rage. Things they couldn't have been able to see through the same means that there was anything to see at all: magic. Magic that the healers couldn't see because they weren't trained to look for it. She looked to Deres and seeing anger, worry, and determination in his eyes, knowing they were mirrored in her own.

There were indeed things to be discovered, like who would do such a thing and why. But those were questions for later. Right now, there were more immediate problems. Breaking the riot was necessary, but, based on what she knew now it could be just as dangerous to her own people as anyone else. As she thought of the next step Deres pressed his fingertips to her skin just so, so that she would not lose his sight of things.

As the silence dragged, Vix prodded her respectfully, "Sir?"

"Not yet," Neral said in a command tone as she tilted her chin to the air. "Feels like their might be a shift in the wind. If there is. I want to see what that might do to the fire before we decide to move."

That was command enough for Deres. What lesser practitioners tapped with runes drawn into the fabric of things, he could work that fabric when it came to the elements with his mind alone. Mastery of the base elements was one of the first things an Adaran Mage learned. Excite the building blocks of the air and you could move it, excite and force them closer and you could heat it, slow those movements and you can cool it. In this case, the added difficulty came from shifting the wind in one way for his audience and in other ways to in order to create swirling funnels to gather the magic-marked materials and push as much as he could out to sea. It would be impossible to get it all, but if its effects were particularly long-lived the whole city might have been consumed by now.

He was satisfied with his progress, though it was a somewhat draining and complex dance. Smoke swirled in unusual ways here and there, despite his best efforts to keep the funnels tight, though he hoped the movements were subtle enough that a bystander would attribute it to the fact that, in many ways, fire moved like a living thing, and, like a moving living thing, sometimes unpredictably. It was that much more difficult in that he had to look to those around him as though he were doing nothing at all. Deres was finally relaxed himself and pulled his power away, feeling as though he had done all he could to eliminate as much of this apparent catalyst as could be done.

He looked to Neral and she took the unspoken cue in turn. "All right. It's going to do what it's going to do." More loudly, "Be careful once we move in with the people as unpredictable as the flame." She turned to Vix. "Major?"

He gave her a curt nod and his voice boomed through the air, "Archers ready."

Behind him, the torchbearer closest to the archers lit their arrows, igniting the white bundles lashed to the shaft. Each, in turn, lit the arrow of the person next to them until all were aflame. They wouldn't fly far with the added weight, but they didn't need to. "Ready." Neral recognized the clear, sharp voice that Elan now tapped while on duty and she found comfort knowing it was behind her.

Vix raised his arm to the sky for a moment, giving them each time to find their aim. It came forward and his voice boomed again. "Loose!"

Neral heard the slicing sound of arrow through the air and the soft crackling of fire before she saw them arc together heading for the crowds, white trails behind them as they found their marks with surprising precision around and between the largest crowds. They watched as the fire burned the sheathing around the bundles tied to the arrows. Once the layers of fabric had burned through and the chemicals within ignited, a thick, white smoke belched from them.

As the wind carried it, in those moments where it thinned, they could see a greater instinct to protect themselves taking hold over the desire to keep attacking one another. Healing mages had perfected this particular formula long ago. The smoke dissipated fairly quickly, but the impaired vision and disorientation lingered for some time after exposure. The people below stopped trying to beat and kill one another as it took hold, many trying to frantically tried to wave it away as they stumbled forward, trying to navigate through it with teary eyes. There was still rage. There was still anger roiling within them, but now it lacked focus, as there was no body to rend or beat that was beating them with equal ferocity. The mobs were now fighting something that didn't react as their animal instincts expected so there was now panic. They ran into one another in their haste and confusion and bolted away, fearful that whatever was doing this to them was upon them.

Neral observed the results with satisfaction as the seconds ticked by in her mind. No one seemed to be interested in a fight with anyone but each other, but, more disorientation was better in her view, at least before she moved her people in. "Healers, light and sound," she ordered crisply with some relief in her voice at the likelihood that she wouldn't have to hurt anyone. The priority now was to piece together what was going on because it was certainly bigger than a riot in the southern quarter.

The healers, Deres included, raised their hands, weaving the simple magics they were all allowed to know; colored lights and shapes and sound projected outward. Most of them used the skills to entertain others for a few extra coin. This was the first time they'd been called upon to use the skills in this way. It had always been an option, but the idea of allowing mages to use their skills to fight, even in this limited fashion, put many people on edge. Even some of the healers themselves were uneasy, fearing people knowing that they fought, even in this passive manner, would exacerbate the fear and prejudice they already felt.

Their skills in play were a beautiful sight all the same. Streamers of light in all colors and so bright it was almost unbelievable that the eye could endure it played around the crowds, like serpents, weaving between people, coiling around them, and around one another in the air, shedding and raining bits of light as they did. Add explosions of sound in the air coming seemingly from nowhere and all around them at once, many of the people afflicted by it all continued to try to run while others huddled into balls on the stone streets or curled themselves into a fetal position, adrenaline and fear combining to bring to many at least a semblance of lucidity.

Watching the scattering and surrender of the throngs, Neral decided it was time. "Healers, light and sound perimeter. I don't want too many to be able to slip through into the shadows. Major Vix," she began, "let's press forward."

* * *

Word of the riots had spread quickly and the timing was such that, by the time it had done so, the private school within the city attended by most of the younger children of the high houses had already begun dismissing classes as normal, so, rather than cause confusion, they simply continued to do so. Aside from the desire not to confuse parents or frighten the children, no one saw the need to alter schedules simply because none of the unrest ever made it this far into the city.

Once news touched Tessa's ears however, she was immediately in a state of controlled panic. She could admit to herself that it was a holdover from her childhood. Being a young girl and hearing the stories of people behaving like animals and rampaging through the streets bent on killing, burning, and destroying the very foundations of Erette so they could rebuild it into something unrecognizable gave her nightmares.

As she grew older, read, and lived, she understood that many of those people had good reason to resort to violence to be heard and to try to make their lives better, but the feelings of fear and dread were still a part of her and it urged her to act. Knowing that the schools probably wouldn't take any unusual steps, and, since Neral made it clear that, as House Mistress, she could do what she thought best in such a situation when it came to young Khylen, she decided it was best to bring the little one home. It wouldn't be too terribly early and she would be safer at home anyway. At least Tessa would feel better if the young lady were at home.

Cassea accompanied her, her stride cool and composed, as it usually was. The look on her face was as though she were politely dealing with being put upon, which was also not entirely unusual. Very different from Tessa, she never thought the two would become friends, but they had done so all the same when Tessa realized that her prickly demeanor covered for a warm soul that was fiercely loyal to her House and those in it. Knowing her when Cassea was House Mistress of an opposing family, she knew that that part of the young woman's personality now was always a part of her. How ever she might have come to House Jaye, Tessa knew she would have served it with the same loyalty and zeal as she served her House then. That she had begged to be taken by Deres's power and lived as much owned as not only anchored her to the House and those in it with that much more certainty.

There was a person of deep feelings within and Tessa suspected that Cassea had insisted on coming with her simply so she didn't go alone, though, with amusement, she also noted that if she actually said that out loud, Cassea would probably take it as a cue to respond with sarcasm as though insulted, so she decided to keep her thoughts to herself as they walked, knowing the only thing they'd end up talking about were the events of the day and there was nothing worse than morose chit-chat.

Upon reaching the school, it was a simple matter to take Khylen from class, but that's where the effortless part ended. She put her arms through her little powder blue coat with polished silver buttons as Tessa held it for her, "What's wrong?"

Tessa remained chipper. "Can't we just bring you home a little early because we like you?"

"Class is almost done anyway and the teachers were whispering things before, but didn't say anything to anybody, so we were all wondering." She pushed Tessa's hands gently away from the buttons. "Thank you. I can do it."

"Let me help anyway," Tessa said more forcefully, deciding to split the difference and button the bottom ones as the little one did the top.

Cassea wasn't one to coddle the child and certainly wouldn't start now, though she did smile and do her best to keep her own tone an unconcerned one, "There's nothing to worry about, but there are protests in the city and your mother is tending to that. We thought it best to get you on the way home just to make Tessa feel better."

Tessa's head snapped to the right to catch the smirk on the other's face and the raised eyebrows that asked, 'Am I wrong?'

Tessa's irritation spiked because she wasn't. Khylen's fierce eyes, not unlike her mother's, softened, taking the irritation for fear. "Okay, but don't worry, Tessa, Mother will fix it. I'm sure they will tell mother and auntie Evaline what's the matter and they will see to it."

Tessa mirrored that softness in her green eyes and she was reminded of some of the reasons why she loved children. Their faith in those they loved were unbreakable and they tended to distill everything into the most simple, straightforward truths. "I'm sure you're right, Khylen, but let's get you home all the same." She ran her hands around the coat to smooth it out. "I baked cookies earlier and I don't imagine one or two will spoil your dinner."

"All right," Khylen began, as Tessa stood. "What are the secret words?"

She stood there, spine straight, and as though her feet were rooted to the floor. It was something that Neral had insisted upon as soon as the girl started school. There was little reason for her to bother with such a measure, as the school of choice for the grand houses was secure and random people simply didn't get on the grounds, but Neral had grown up with the stories of long ago when said Houses were more openly feudal and willing to attack rivals physically rather than with rumor and innuendo. A rival House hoping to use Neral against the queen some years before did nothing to help her dismiss the concerns. Mother practiced with daughter frequently. If they didn't know the right words Khylen was not to go with them, no matter what was said or even who they looked like. If they didn't have the words, she was to run and yell for help and she had permission to do anything she had to to not go with them. Khylen had liked being part of this secret thing. It was exciting by itself and she liked the power it gave her. This was the first time that circumstances allowed her to use it and it would not go to waste.

In the moment, Cassea's brows furrowed but she couldn't manage annoyance. The little one stood there like a proper little soldier, waiting. "We don't have time for this. Come along now," she said sternly.

"What are the secret words?" She asked more loudly this time, her right foot taking half a step backward.

Cassea huffed, but she was satisfied in seeing the little one hold her own. "Wildflower."

Saying nothing, those brown eyes then fixed on Tessa's emerald green. Tessa simply smiled. "Balcony."

"Okay then." Now on to other important matters as she walked between them and the trio headed back to the main entry and onto the grounds. "You said you made cookies?"

"I did," Tessa affirmed. "Frosted oatmeal."

"I love those."

"The world is full of coincidences, dear one."

"How was your day?" Cassea asked as they walked down the stone path through the meticulously tended grounds. The air began to have more bite, especially at night and it wouldn't be long now before the leaves started to fall.

"Okay," she said with a sigh. "I hate math."

"That's not true," Cassea countered, "You do fine with math at home."

"It's soooooooooo boring."

"Boring? It doesn't seem too hard for you to me. Do you mean that it's too easy for you?"

"Yes. I always finish early. I ask for harder things, but teacher says I have to stay in time with the class."

"I see. Well, you should bring it up to your parents and they will take it up with your teachers. If nothing else, I will create harder work for you to do at home in the meantime."

Khylen rolled her eyes. "Go to school for school and come home and have more school. I'd rather be bored."

Cassea hid her reaction. She so had her father's usually humorous penchant for melodrama. She was very much a product of both her parents, from her mother's thoughtful gaze and sense of right and wrong to her father's midnight black hair and sense of humor. She generally wasn't fond of children, as most of them were ill-mannered, and, the higher the House, generally, the more ill-mannered they were because they were allowed to get away with it. But she liked this one. She respected the strength already within her. She was intelligent, funny, and, as Cassea witnessed more than once, kind, even when she didn't think anyone would be watching.

But it was moments like the one that just passed when she saw in her things that reminded Cassea of herself and she liked to think of herself as having influenced the little one in even a small way. They had passed the inner guards at the gate and the outer, Cassea and Tessa acknowledging them as they walked the street, heading towards home, a castle in its own right that stood second only to the royal House, as a physical manifestation of the ties between the two.