A Price Paid Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

With their closeness, it would not be long before they would be under the gaze of the White Guard dressed in civilian clothes, trained to see threats to castle and queen so the guard proper could act. Just knowing they would be there at all put her at some ease. At almost that moment, two horses cantered down the street, each carrying a soldier of Erette in dress uniform, a mix of gray and black with fringe colored to denote rank. Cassea could see the white and knew they were both privates. They seemed solely focused on their destination until the closest woman caught sight of them out of the corner of her eye. When she did, a firm, "Hold there." came from her lips as she locked eyes with, not Cassea, she noticed, but Khylen.

The trio stopped and waited for the women to dismount to stand before them. This time, it was the man who spoke, gesturing her chin towards the little one. "This is Khylen Jaye?"

"I am," she said proudly before either of her caretakers could silence her.

"She has to come with us," the woman said, concern in every syllable. "You must know by now that the lower markets are burning. The blockades the general has set are near collapse and there's no way to know how far it will all spread. The general ordered us to take her someplace safe until the situation is resolved."

"Who are you and who gave you those orders?" Both women shared concern for their own reasons.

"Private Hoben," the taller woman said, "and Private Kaven." She did not gesture to Kaven and Kaven offered no response, keeping her eyes on the women and the child. "General Jaye gave the order."

"To you?" Tessa said, not bothering to hide her incredulity. "Directly?"

"Yes. Yes, directly."

Tessa and Cassea both knew something was very wrong. Khylen was trusted to Tessa. If something happened that required a special response General Jaye would have sent a messenger. And if Khylen had be moved, she wouldn't move without Tessa. She decided to put that to the test. Her voice was clipped and tight. "Fine. Let's go."

"Not you," Hoben said, as though she were giving an order. "Our orders are for Khylen Jaye. We cannot be responsible for your safety."

Tessa placed her hand on Khylen's chest moving her back ever so slightly as she shifted her body to the right to begin to act as a shield the little one. "You don't have to be responsible for me. I'm responsible for me and I'm responsible for her. Where she goes I go."

"That is not necessary and it is not required." Hoben looked down at the little one and a smile appeared as she extended her hand, "Come, Khylen. Your mother needs you to come with us."

Cassea knew something was wrong, too, but she imagined that the tension she felt wasn't for the same reasons that Tessa felt it. Cassea was owned, Deres had allowed her to be herself, and he liked her that way, but she was owned. She was his slavething, so she had some idea what it was like to have a puppet master pull the strings when he chose to. It was something in the way they spoke in a tone that was just a little bit flat. It was the way the women looked at them with just a little bit of the light gone from the eyes that everyone else had and that she sometimes imagined that she lacked. Kaven hadn't spoken at all, Cassea suspected, because no one had spoken to her. She has a script she's running in her head. Sometimes she fantasized about him smoothing her mind more, making her more empty, docile, and helplessly obedient like these two. She kept it in the realm of fantasy, but in those fantasies, what was before her was something of how she envisioned she would be.

They were owned. By who or what, she didn't know, but, as part of a sort of bizarre sisterhood, she could feel it. There were no swords on their backs, but she wasn't fool enough to think that they weren't armed. She gave Tessa a sidelong glance and saw in her eyes the same determination that she knew she carried within her. Cassea asked, her voice a perfect example of innocence "What are the secret words?"

Hoben blinked. "What?"

"If the general sent you for her, she gave you the three code words that you would need to give the school and to her in order to take her with you. What are they?"

As Cassea asked, Tessa heard Khylen take a breath as if to say something and she reached to put a hand to her mouth for but a moment. The young lady stiffened at the notion of being silenced, but said nothing when the hand fell away.

Hoben blinked again, and this time it was Kaven who finally spoke. "The violence was spreading quickly and if there are such words she sent us without them in the frenzy. We are soldiers in service of Erette and General Neral Jaye and are acting within that authority" They stepped forward. "The child must come with us."

"Come, Khylen," Hoben said again, this time, the smile disappearing and her voice with an edge of authority. "We will make you safe."

Tessa knew what she had to do. She didn't know how it would come out, but she had to buy time for Cassea to do something, or, if nothing else, for the little one to have a chance to run. She pushed her sizable chest into Hoben, hoping to push her into the street. Kaven was on her, too, as Hoben gripped Tessa's forearms and used that as a brace as she drove her own forehead into Tessa's face.

"Tessa!" Khylen screamed. She reached out, but was swooped up almost at once.

It was a bewildering moment. She cried out from the shock and her vision swam from the sudden pain and the tears reflexively flowed making it that much more disorienting. She heard a yelp that was too high-pitched to have been from her. Khylen. She felt less pressure against her body. One of them was gone, she realized. Was the world spinning or was it just her? Both, her instincts told her. She snorted indelicately, tasting blood, and pushed hard against the body that was now behind her with an arm hooked firmly around her throat, the pressure from which only increased, making drawing the next breath even more of a struggle. That grip loosened for a moment in time with a grunt as the body behind her slammed against the stone wall of one of the buildings.

The thought of Khylen taken was horrid to her. The thought of her hurt made Tessa sick to her stomach. The thought that Tessa might fail both the Houses and both families she claimed, and all while she could still breathe made her angry. She was never an angry spirit. In her worst moments of childhood she was pouty and petulant. She was quiet, and calm, and almost never so much as raised her voice. But she was angry now and it pushed her to action.

Tessa clawed the brooch she wore that her father bought her when she came of age that carried the seal of her House. It was heavy and sturdy and he had joked that it was meant to last a thousand years when she joked that it would weigh her down. It had heft in her hand and she swung her arm to the left and over her shoulder. When the long sliver of metal that anchored the brooch to clothing sank into soft flesh and a cry was heard, it made Tessa's heart skip a beat in excitement as adrenaline rushed through her veins. The arm around her neck loosened enough for the woman to snarl, and she used the moment to drive the brooch into flesh again and again, left and right and up and down, working for as many fresh wounds as she could make.

She felt a hand grip her wrist and felt a body against her chest. "You cannot do this!" Her voice had no fear. It was still filled with rage and her words came out as a command. "Let me go!"

"It's all right, Ms. Jovis. It's all right." The voice was almost as loud as hers in an effort to break through. Her eyes managed to begin to focus on one of the guards that tended the school gates Kaz? Yes. Kaz was his name. He took the brooch and gave her a reassuring smile. "Are you all right? I just looked your way and then looked back and all of a sudden there was a fight. I'm sorry we couldn't get here sooner."

She looked again to her left to see another guard and two male bystanders trying to control and tend to the soldier who flailed against them while trying to aid her. From the glimpses afforded her as they moved, half the woman's face was awash in blood, collecting in the small pits and grooves of the stone she lay upon. Tessa wiped blood from herself and coughed for enough air as she looked around, then to Kaz before the gravity of events hit her again, "Did you see where Cassea and Khylen went?"

He shook his head again, his hazel eyes sharing some of her worry at the mention of the child, "No. By the time I looked and saw what was going on she had Khylen practically under Cassea's arm mounting one of the horses."

It was only then that Tessa noticed that both the mounts were indeed gone.. Goddess protect them. She decided the best thing she could do to help at the moment was find a way to get help for them and a message to General Jaye.

* * *

"Stay down. Understand?" Cassea's body was as draped over her as she could make it and tone made clear that there was only one acceptable answer.

"Yes," the young voice said. "What's happening?" The fear in that voice was obvious. Everything had gone crazy all at once and now Cassea's body was draped over hers as she drove the horse at full gallop down the street, occasionally shouting for people to get out of her way. She peeked around the horse to see the world flying by. "What about Tessa? She needs help."

"Tessa can take care of herself," Cassea answered with more faith than she felt, but there was no choice, they both knew it, and Tessa had flung herself at them to buy Cassea time to escape with the young one and she wasn't going to let the sacrifice be wasted.

"What about mother? Where are we going?"

"Your mother can definitely take care of herself." The latter was the question. She looked back to see Kaven behind her, the distance between them narrowing slowly. Going it alone unless she had to seemed like a fool's errand, but where to go was the question. She thought briefly about trying to lose her in the side streets and alleys to see if she could weave her way to her sister's home nearer the edge of the city. They could hide there and would be safe, but she wasn't sure she could make it and taking the two of them away from witnesses on the way would probably be unwise.

The barracks weren't far. She could make that, keep eyes on her doing so, and would surely find help before she chastised herself. Where do you think they probably came from, fool? There was no way for her to know for certain, but that was a good bet. Who knew how many were involved in this. For all you know, everyone there is as consumed as those two. If that were the case, it'd be over for them.

Another option that flitted through her mind was the queen's castle. The problem there was roughly the same as with heading straight to the barracks. Who knew how far this all went, and, if queen and castle were consumed, there were problems beyond all of them. But a choice had to be made, and she made it hoping that eyes had already seen what had happened or were at least seeing it now. She had no use for the Goddess, but she did take a moment to hope that fate was on their side as she drew in a lung full of air. "Khylen Jaye needs help!"

She repeated it in full voice like a mantra as people on the streets looked on as they passed. She veered left onto another main street with the same cry and command. Some looked out their windows to see what the commotion was and those on the streets parted ways to take themselves out of the way of whatever was happening. Cassea's throat was already beginning to feel rough, but she kept calling out, stopping only long enough to see how far ahead of their pursuer they were. She feared she would look to her left or right and she would be right there.

The only real option were the mages. Certainly, mages were likely responsible for this in the first place, but almost certainly not the guild that Bryana led. A coup or other machination might be in play amongst them, but, if divided, she had to hope she was spotted by the right ones.

The sixth street they went down was more crowded and she had to slow to make their way around the traffic, using the walks as much as the road to stay ahead, making sure that no one forgot that Khylen Jaye needed help, with Khylen's own voice addingto the call. Cassea was almost halfway down the street when she caught sight of a wire-thin, bald merchant with a bucket of water in hand who did not look like a man wondering what in the void was going on.

Rather, he met Cassea's eyes and would not look away. When he knew he had her attention, he still did not break his gaze as he pitched the bucket to his right and she watched the water arc across the street and towards an alley that, on closer inspection, looked like it would barely allow them entry.

She gave him a small nod and hoped that she wasn't thanking an accessory to her own kidnapping before she veered hard to the right and the horse snorted and slowed to make the turn, and Cassea wasn't wrong with her first impression. There were only a couple of feet on either side as they squeezed between the buildings slowly and carefully until it opened out into some lots of grass and shops of various types that still looked like they did passable business though they had been supplanted by those on the main streets.

She sped up again as soon as she was able, seeing people scurry out of the street, but paid them no mind because they seemed to go out of their way to avoid taking note of her at all. A man who looked every bit the role of blacksmith stood in front of the open door to his supply shed. They rode in and the powerful body behind them closed the door quickly, leaving himself outside and them in.

"How many?"

"One, so far as I know," she said as she dismounted and helped Khylen down as well.

The voice that was somewhat higher than she expected it to be given his frame. "Stay here and stay quiet no matter what. I'll be back."

She kept What if you don't come back? to herself, instead choosing a hammer with which to defend them both if it came to that.

For his part, the blacksmith started walking down the empty street towards the alley where those in need had emerged, his bulk moving with surprising speed and grace, his boots clacking on the stone. He expected the unexpected as she and her horse emerged onto the thin grass just off the street. Her eyes scanned quickly and focused on the one man on the conspicuously empty street. "You," she exclaimed. "Stop!"

He spread his arms to show he was no threat and did as he was told, waiting for her to approach. Hoben looked down on him. "Have you seen a woman and child on horseback? They would have been ahead of me by only moments."

"As a matter of fact I have," he said cheerfully.

"Where are they?"

"Oh, I'm afraid I can't tell you that, as you seem to be up to no good."

"I am on official business for General Jaye. The streets are on fire and I am to take her daughter to safety."

He did so even as he invited her to, "Look around you. Whatever might be happening elsewhere has not touched this place. Everyone on this little street is tucked away and minding their own business. I have no doubt that, at least here, the young lady would be safe and secure."

"Tell me where she is immediately."

He eyed her carefully, "I admire your focus in this matter. What's your name, if I may ask?"

"I am Private Hoben, acting on the direct orders of General Jaye. Where is Khylen Jaye? Tell me or face the full force of law."

He seemed amused. "So far, the full force of law seems to be just you right now, so I believe I'll take my chances. Tell me something," he began, with concern, "are you married?"

Hoben blinked. "What?"

"Are you married? It's a simple enough question."

"It's not relevant at all. Where is Khylen Jaye?"

"Do you have brothers and sisters? Do you have children? Or are you just a doting aunt?"

The soldier's voice was stone. "Where is she?"

He pressed on, his voice calm, though quizzical "What's your favorite food? Or your least? What's your favorite play? Or song? Or book?"

Hoben descended from her horse and placed herself before him. "Take me to her. Now."

"Do you even remember? Is there anything on your mind right now other than what you were told to do? Can you touch anything within yourself other than this? Doesn't that seem strange to you?"

"I must find Khylen Jaye." They had to be close by. She wasn't far enough behind them for them to have just vanished. She would draw close and they would react. Then the girl would be hers.

She moved past him as though he were irrelevant, and he was if he wouldn't tell her what she needed to know.

Hoben hadn't quite moved beyond his reach before his arm reached out with the speed of a snake's strike, his hand curling around the back of her neck. Her eyes bulged in surprise at the suddenness of the attack and that it had happened at all.

"It's all right, young lady. I'm not going to hurt you," he said, his stubby fingers drawing patterns on the back of her skull with finesse. "That wouldn't be right since you're obviously not yourself."

The animal part of Hoben wanted to react. It wanted to claw, and fight, and kill. One hand lifted ever so slightly before it fell as though it were anchored to the ground. She stood limp as the spell was written on her body.

"This is just a healing sleep spell," he said gently. "I doubt it'll heal you, of course, but it's a sleep deep enough that you won't be coming out of it for a good while. Just relax, and breathe, and sleep.

Strength drained from her and her eyelids felt too heavy to lift with both hands once they dropped.

And, as she had already been doing for quite some time now, she obeyed.

She slept.

To Be Continued...